PDA

View Full Version : Champion Crowned in the Workplace Root Beer Showdown

treetoptom
07-14-2006, 05:47 PM
The results are in on the final round of the Workplace Root Beer Showdown. After two rounds totaling 23 different brews, winners Frostie (Round 1, twelve points) and Abita (Round 2, twelve points) went head-to-head in a blind taste test. Fifteen of us sampled, and by the closest of margins Frostie got 8 votes to Abita’s 7. Next up: Grape Sodas including:

NuGrape
Boylan
Grape Crush
Shasta
Rock Creek
Uva-Va
Goya
Stewart’s
Salvavidas Uva
Welch’s
Tropicana Twister
?

01GTB
07-15-2006, 03:16 AM
Frostie...for the win! :D

For the heck of it, throw some Grapette from Walmart, some Grape Nehi and Fanta Grape in for the next taste test.

[ 07-15-2006, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-15-2006, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tropicana Twister grape to take a high ranking in this one.

bluredoasis
07-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Grapette, nooooooooo no, Orangette sucked, why would'nt this stuff, lol
Finally found Grape Nehi, thanks Fusion;
So add Nehi to our list;
Still looking for M.F. Jones(Grape)
and yes Fanta will be included also, thanks.
DJ, I think Nehi in bottle or Welch's in bottle will come up on top, We will see..

wonkapete
07-17-2006, 12:07 PM
You MUST be Grapico in the running! It's the best as far I'm concerned! If you don't have it, I can send you a bottle or can, for a trade of course smile.gif

We have Grape Chek too (Winn-Dixie store brand)

bluredoasis
07-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Store brand grape sodas,,,,,no thanks,
we have had our share & experience of that,
no no thanks, lol
Trade? Like what?

It is nice that we are on a grape talk,
but about reactions to the root-beer challenge?

billygtexas
07-18-2006, 04:08 AM
http://www.grapette.com/

Grapette isnt a "store brand" - it was a popular regional soda in the south in the 40's through the 60's and then fell on hard times, until Wal-Mart licenced it and had Cott bottle it. I think it deserves a shot in your contest.

treetoptom
07-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm afraid Grapette would be a tough sell on the workplace soda tasting crew. The Orangette that was included in the Orange Soda Challenge was so dreadfully inferior to the others I don't think I could talk them into trying its grape counterpart. Thanks for the suggestions, but with the inclusion of Grape Nehi and Fanta, we have reached the 12 soda maximum for a single round test.

01GTB
07-18-2006, 08:38 PM
That's too bad. I personally do not know how you could have a grape soda taste test without it. I guess I thought these were blind taste tests :confused: But it seems to be already prejudged based on the fact you know people would hate it because it is related to Orangette. Or maybe because it has the Sam's logo on it.

I'm not a big grape soda drinker, so maybe I don't qualify. But I personally think Grapette absolutely blows Fanta out of the water. At least it has some character.

[ 07-18-2006, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

treetoptom
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't think there is enough brand loyalty and preconceived notions about grape sodas to make a blind test necessary. We found that to be true in the orange and root beer tests, where the industry giants were beaten out by smaller labels. Remember - we're 10-15 guys/gals doing this at work as a social diversion, not some research firm looking for results we can sell to the industry. All that being said, we did do the cola test and the root beer final blind. Our problem (more than anything) is one of capacity. 12 sodas @ 2 oz. per = 24 ounces of soda. We've found that 12 is about as many as we can do without running into the "groan factor". I think we actually have 13 at this point and may have to drop one. I'm not sure Grapette as No. 14 is advisable, but I'll take a poll of the regulars and see if they are willing to do 14 in a single sitting. If not, Grapette and Shasta (another poor brand performer based on past tests) are going to be left off.

dahojo
07-19-2006, 06:05 PM
I sold Frostie at one time and felt it was a very good Root Beer, but after it was sold seemed to be weaker.

Maybe I will try it again.

All tests should be blind or they are not real test.

bluredoasis
07-20-2006, 10:55 AM
dahojo, what? Frostie was good, than after it was sold it was bad?
well
Frostie is a good tasting Root-Beer and was our workplace blindtaste champion, (15 people, 8-7 over Abita) if that helps ?
give it another try..

dahojo
07-20-2006, 12:32 PM
It seem to be weaker after it was bought. Did you use glass or plastic for all products?

Was it a blind test or not?

bluredoasis
07-20-2006, 12:54 PM
We used the 3oz plastic bathroom cups, lol
good? The first sitting we had 11 root-beers to sample and the 2nd sitting we had 12 to try, so we had to use little plastic cups.
Frosties from the first round and Abita from the second round came out on top, head to head, it was close, and 8 of 15 people liked Frosties better. Everybody who chose Frosties said it was the traditional root beer taste that they liked..

treetoptom
07-20-2006, 01:29 PM
The sodas were in a combination of glass, plastic and cans, whatever we could get ahold of. Each of the three packaging materials has won, so that doesn't seem to be a factor. We did the final round of the root beer as a blind test, but the two preliminary rounds were visible-label tests. I don't get the "all tests must be blind tests or their not real tests" comments. We've had people say that before in previous threads. How is a visible-label test not a real test? We sample different sodas and then rank our top three and bottom three and then report the results. Smaller labels (Orange Crush [aluminum can], Frostie [glass] and Abita's [glass]) have beaten the industry giants in three of the four that we did. Pepsi [plastic]won the cola test, which we did as a blind test because of perceived brand loyalty. We're just a bunch of co-workers sitting around having a social event, trying out different sodas. We're not a buch of researchers in lab coats down in the basement of the science building.

[ 07-20-2006, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: treetoptom ]

bluredoasis
07-20-2006, 01:40 PM
You are correct, being blind does not make a difference. we all had HONEST opinions and speaking for myself, I trust all the opinions we got from each person were real, it did not seem to me that there was brand loyalty, like Tom said we are not researchers, we are just regular people in a social setting, trying different types of sodas.