PDA

View Full Version : Coke vs. Mountain Dew

melloyelloluver
07-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Hey guys! I just wan't to ask you why has it been so hard for Coke to put together decent competition vs. Mountain Dew? I mean it's been quite easy for Pepsi to introduce Sierra Mist which is now compeating well with Sprite. So why then has it been so hard for the worlds largest soft drink company to compeate with Pepsi's Mountain Dew. Why don't they introduce Mello Yello nationwide. It seems to do very well against Mountain Dew in the Southeast.

Dr. Galaga
07-08-2004, 06:25 PM
I thought that Mellow Yellow was nationwide. What parts of the US don't have it?

manykats
07-08-2004, 07:03 PM
nope mello yello is not nationwide or i would be drinking it every day. i live in ny and i cant find it anywhere. only time i get to drink it is when i go to pennsylvania on vacation twice a year and even then its hard to find

by the way this is my first time posting i finally got around to actually registering after just reading posts for about a year

TiffyTreat
07-08-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm in the San Francisco bay area and we do not get MY.

mjb1124
07-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Has Mello Yello ever been sold in the NYC area? I don't recall ever seeing it here. We did have Surge for a while, though.

Shatter
07-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Coke tried Mello Yello out in the Dallas area three times in the past few years, but it just didn't do well. It's been gone from this area for something like five years.

melloyelloluver
07-09-2004, 12:27 AM
I think Mello Yello was introduced all over the country about 10 years ago. But Coke quickly pulled it. When Mello Yello and Surge were introduced, I don't think Coke was really serious about them, or they would of had Surge and Mello Yello in every Coke fountain, and machine. But Coke never did put a citrus soda in every fountain and Coke Machine when they introduced MY and Surge. Also Coke has done a horrible job of advertising it's citrus sodas. Why? - doesn't Coke realise how much they are loseing by not compeating with Dew?

teamtitan512
07-09-2004, 01:50 AM
I can give you many places it's not sold.

Cleveland
Buffalo
NYC
Boston
Philadelphia
California
The entire west coast
The entire Northeast except for parts of CT, VT, NH, and ME.

It's a marginal brand in Pittsburgh and DC, and sold sparingly with no advertising. Other than the south in TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, this brand receives NO advertising and almost no recognition of even existing. It's amazing they sell any.

DPDude
07-09-2004, 01:55 AM
You can add Texas to the list of states that don't have Mello Yello. I found it in only a few places in the midwest on a recent road trip.

Hacksaw
07-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Well, for one thing Mello Yello doesn't taste as good as Mt. Dew.

I remember seeing Mello Yello in Atlanta in late 1978, so I suspect that's where & when it started.

Coke has been able to advertise Coke & Sprite very well, but the other brands suffer badly. Strange that they should be able to keep Barq's afloat (pun intended ;) ), & made all their bottlers dump Fanta Root Beer & Ramblin' RB, but the come & go of Fanta flavors, MM, & MY makes one wonder how bad their long range planning is. MY in particular surrenders sales outside Coke if they loose market share, it's not like trading Fanta for Minute Maid.

Yet, there is so many ads for Coke itself it's as though they feel that they will go out of business if they switched just 10% of their Coke ads for Fanta or MY. And I don't think they pushed Surge very hard at all.

Yet, I see ads for Sonic Drive Ins & Long John Silver's on TV here, but these chains aren't even around here.

[ 07-29-2004, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Hacksaw ]

imawalkingcorpse
07-09-2004, 10:33 AM
It is in Missouri At Price Chopper in the 12 packs, in Quik Trip and Conoco's in fountains and plastic bottles...

Dr. Galaga
07-09-2004, 02:26 PM
I mainly vacation in the Michigan, Indiana and Illinois area so I guess I'm used to seeing it.

BTW: I prefer Mt. Dew, but I did have something that was better about 20 years ago. It was somewhere down south - I think Texas - and I think the name was Cactus Juice. Sure did quench my thirst!

Shatter
07-10-2004, 03:37 AM
About two years ago, I found Mello Yello all over Louisiana. I also bought 6-packs of MY Cherry and Melon in Opelousas, LA. I'm hoping to go back there again and visit my sister in about a month. I'll let everyone know if I find any MY flavors there.

Robot
07-10-2004, 01:40 PM
MY and its variations are good to great (Afterglow is heavenly!)

But Mt Dew is just so much better.. Regular, code red, Live wire.. all top notch.. cant wait to try pitch black.

Coke04
07-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Woah-- what's pitch black, and when is it coming out?

Hacksaw
07-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Dr. Galaga: I think you're talk about Canada Dry's Cactus Cooler. Good stuff, more like an Orange-Pineapple. I see it from time to time.

Shatter
07-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Coke licensed and bottled Cactus Cooler in the Dallas area for a while, but they've just discontinued it. A couple of weeks ago, I managed to find a dumpy little store that still had one left, so I grabbed it.

Mountain Dew Pitch Black is going to be introduced for Halloween. My store's Pepsi guy told me it'll be grape flavored, but some others here on the boards say it'll be black cherry. I guess we'll find out soon, probably around September.

teamtitan512
07-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Black Cherry would be good...Grape Dew sounds utterly disgusting.

Robot
07-11-2004, 12:15 PM
grape dew doesnt sound good at first thought..

but considering their track record (I love all 3 dews).. i am pretty sure ill like pitch black..

just wish they made a diet version of livewire and pitch black.. i drink diet dew and diet code red all the time.

fusion
07-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Mello Yello is definately a marginal brand in the DC/Baltimore area. We only have it in fridgepack and 20oz now, 2 liters were dropped about a year and a half ago.

There were plans to introduce it in 24oz in our area, but they were scrapped. I do know that I found 24oz MY from CV (Cleveland TN).

It is in some fountains, we do carry the bag in box in our warehouse.

Although MY and Pibb Xtra will never beat Dew and Pepper, I think the brands could hold their own if they were properly promoted and represented.

Root Beer seems to be a stale segment of the business. Nobody's really advertising their brands anymore. I remember when Coke used to do some cool stuff with Barq's, with the promo cans and Halloween promotions.

teamtitan512
07-12-2004, 03:03 AM
The only one that seems to sell regularly is A&W here, and being where I live is a 3rd tier wasteland, that's really saying something. They do promote somewhat (albeit, through the restaurants), but I think if all bottlers but Mello Yello out there like Consolidated, it might do better. In Consolidated territory, they have it in every cooler (and most have Pibb as well). Central used to be like this when they first brought back MY after dumping Surge, but they since quit. You can still find a good many 20 oz. MY's around though.

chrisok
07-12-2004, 12:38 PM
In Oklahoma, Coke is trying Sundrop rather than MY. It's been around almost a year now. It generally costs less than Mt. Dew. Usually 2 for 1.00 to 89 cents for a 20. oz. 12 packs around 2.50. not sure how well it sells, but I like it better than MY or Dew.

sundrop
07-12-2004, 12:45 PM
It is the same in parts of NC. Coke(CCBCC) distributes Sundrop which in my opinion matches up better against Dew than MY.

ws6fire
07-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Well.. With the Pitch Black.. I found a picture over here http://www.cool-drinks.com/Root%20Folder/MoutainDewPitchBlack.html and it says grape on the bottle.. :(
btw, I love MD.. Code red I don't care for Live wire isn't bad. Mellow yellow isn't here in Baltimore but I've had it and it's a good alternative when MD isn't available. I do wish that Pepsi fountains where more prevalent over here Maryland like they are out in Spokane Washington.

Irishpepsi04
07-17-2004, 04:03 PM
In Eastern Washington (Pasco, Kennewick) I saw Mello Yello 12-pack with code SW at a new Mexician store called Fiesta Foods in Pasco on 395 across the Columbia River Cable bridge. I also saw Catcus Cooler with code TO which is Ontraio, California.

In Western Washington during 2001 and 2002 I've seen mostly single cans of Mello Yello in spots across Puget Sound mostly at local markets.

Coke04
07-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Grape makes sense. I mean, why bother with black cherry-- we already have Code Red!

Hacksaw
07-20-2004, 03:50 AM
I just bought a 2 liter of Cactus Cooler in San Diego. It's bottled by the local Coke bottler there, but the label says it's licensed under the authority of Dr. Pepper/7up, yet it's a Canada Dry flavor. Go figure that one! :confused:

fusion
07-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Cadbury has been shifting its' major US carbonated beverages over to DPSU. They moved a lot of UPCs over to the 78000 family last year as well.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-20-2004, 10:39 AM
cadbury owns a share of dpsu. one of their goals is to strengthen their presence in the american soda industry. they want to have some indie bottlers, but they also want some controlled in key areas like pepsi and coke do

teamtitan512
07-21-2004, 12:11 AM
If they want a chance, they're going to have to buy out Honickman's East Coast third-tier line from Washington to NYC, because brands like 7Up, A&W, Sunkist, Canada Dry, and RC are never going to grow period under CD Potomac, CD Delaware Valley, CD Honickman. Third-tier doesn't do much along the eastern seaboard, and I think overall portfolio-wise, there's so much power in the flavored category, that with 7Up, Dr Pepper in some areas, and a heavily advertised RC, DPSU could easily steal from both Coke and Pepsi.

melloyelloluver
07-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Bad news for Mello Yello fans. I tried to go to melloyello website yesterday and the Coke website came up. It looks like Coke may be dismantleing MY. First they took away Cherry, Melon, and Afterglow - and now they have deleated the website. :( :( :(

karks88
07-23-2004, 05:01 PM
That's not good. Of course, Coke is a company who doesn't have websites for all of its products so it might not be a big deal. I remember the last time I was at the MY site it didn't look like it had been udpated in awhile.

[ 07-23-2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

Refreshed Magicman
07-23-2004, 06:30 PM
I agree, SURGE Rocks.

melloyelloluver
07-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Just thought it be cool to start a poll. Which citrus soda, do you think that Coke produces, has the best chance of compeating with Mountain Dew?

1.Surge
2.Mello Yello
3.Sundrop *made by 7upcorp, but Coke makes it in agreement with 7up*
4.Citra

MERVERNATOR
07-28-2004, 01:36 PM
talk about the 3 flavors?...
theres actually 4... as I told my friend StackUps Immy, and he posted the other day after I found and tried this stuff.... Mountaindew Baja Blast. Only at Taco Bell. Lime flavor. very good. I think they put it out and I got it before it was supposed to be out cause the site for it is just barely up. www.dewbajablast.com (http://www.dewbajablast.com) .. the other day they didnt even have a graphic at all. I took a pic of the cup and logo for it, and thats on my site, www.mervernation.com (http://www.mervernation.com)

as far as the topic goes, no theres not MY in a lot of places. I like it a lot for a coke product, but Dew is so much better.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-29-2004, 06:57 PM
wanna get technical?

mountain dew
caffeine free mountain dew
diet mountain dew
diet caffeine free mountain dew
mountain dew code red
caffeine free mountain dew code red (canada)
diet mountain dew code red
mountain dew livewire
mountain dew pitchblack
and now this bajablast ****

melloyelloluver
07-30-2004, 04:38 AM
Doesn't have as many flavors as Dew, but this is my top 5 LilGuy.
1.Mello Yello Melon *Best Citrus Soda-Period*
2.Mello Yello
3.Mello Yello Afterglow
4.Mello Yello Cherry
5.Diet Mello Yello