PDA

View Full Version : Big Peach!

DPDude
07-14-2004, 12:50 AM
I found a small stash of Big Peach soda at an IGA store in Belton, TX this week. I was surprised to find it in 12 packs since I've only ever seen it in 20oz bottles.

Shatter
07-14-2004, 03:30 AM
Was it in the old 12-pack design, or was it a fridgepack style?

I went that route to Austin last year, and I don't remember seeing any IGA stores en route. I did stop at an Albertson's in Temple and picked up a case of Cherry RC Cola, though.

[ 07-14-2004, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

DPDude
07-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Shatter,
They were in the new fridge packs. The packaging is dark blue/green which is odd for a peach soda.

The IGA store is called Minimax IGA and it is on Main St. in Belton, TX, just south of Temple. They also carried some Spicewood flavors I hadn't seen before, like strawberry and pina.

I also stopped at a Shell station between I-35 and Main St. and found Big Peach, Cheerwine and those Spicewood flavors in 20oz plastic. The Temple/Waco area never ceases to surprise me in the variety of soda that is available.

bigrich
07-14-2004, 05:52 PM
I am vacationing in Fort Lauderdale, and Southeast Atlantic Beverages has Big Pineapple here. I will try it and let everyone know if it is any good.

Shatter
07-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Big Pineapple? That's another one i've never heard of. There's Big Red, Big Peach in certain areas, Big Punch in the New Orleans area, and now added to the Big list is Pineapple. Peach and Punch were pretty good, so i'd imagine that Pineapple would be a good one.

I'm hoping to go to Austin before the end of the year, and i've got to stop in Temple for Cherry RC, Cheerwine, and some more Spicewood flavors. Last time, I found Cola and Apple, and locally i've found Blue Cream and Ted's Red Soda.

I'm always coming across weird sodas bottled by Temple Bottling. Those guys put out a whole lotta soda. They make the full line of Dr Pepper/7Up/Big Red/RC, Crush, Nehi, Kist, Hires, Spicewood, and who knows how many others. I found a root beer in a gas station a couple weeks ago called Holiday that's bottled by them too. Those guys crank out a lot of product!

[ 07-14-2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

bigrich
07-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Temple Bottling is a contract bottler so their area my fool you. They may have specific distribution contracts for certain products and other products further and also produce products they do not distribute at all. Still chilling the Big Pineapple. I can't wait to try it. I looked for Cheerwine this trip to Florida and cannnot find it. I found it many places last time. I was expecting to find Fanta Citrus since Citra was everywhere down here, but no luck.

[ 07-15-2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

drpep
07-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Where in Fort Lauderdale di you find Big Pineapple? And where did you find Cheerwine? I have never seen Cheerwine on the Atlantic side.

fusion
07-16-2004, 12:22 AM
There is no official distributor for Cheerwine in Florida, though somebody may have picked it up and sold some.. That happened where I live -- they bought some pallets from Carolina Beverages, and carried it in some accounts. I thought it did pretty well for them, but I don't think they ordered any more of it.

bigrich
07-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I have seen Big Pineapple at Winn Dixie and Publix. Not every store seems to stock this. Last time I was here Publix had 12pack cans of Cheerwine. It was not with the regular sodas, as it was set in with their more special sodas. They may have been stocking it in their warehouse. I tried the Big Pineapple today and it was'nt bad. It was smooth and not bitter. I thought it almost had a slight banana taste mixed in.

Shatter
07-17-2004, 02:23 AM
It's odd that they didn't put out Sunkist Pineapple instead of Big Pineapple. Sunkist, I thought is under the DP/7up banner, and Big Pineapple should be under Big Red's banner.

DPDude
07-17-2004, 05:01 AM
I spoke with a rep at Big Red in Waco this afternoon. Apparently Big Pineapple is being test marketed in parts of Florida and the Atlanta, GA area. No word on when or if it'll make it anywhere else.

Also, Big Red Floats is due to be released in Texas during the fall of this year.

DPDude
07-17-2004, 05:10 AM
Shatter,
There is a Shell station in Belton, TX on 6th Street that carries Spicewood Pineapple, Blue Cream, Peach, Grape and Ted's Sparking Red. They also stock Cheerwine 20oz, Spicewood Lemonade 20oz and Cherry RC 20oz.

The Temple/Waco/Killeen area is a very good area for finding sodas. Distribution seems kind of spotty since the major chains in the area like HEB (groceries) and Diamond Shamrock (gas) seem to get only the mainstream stuff. The independent stores like the IGA in Belton and the local convenience stores carry a wide selection of offbeat sodas.

bigrich
07-17-2004, 03:08 PM
The reason they have Big Pineapple is that Southeast Atlantic (7-UP/DRP) does not have Sunkist in South Florida. In fact Pepsi has it and in Broward and Palm Beach Counties and does Sunkist Pineapple. Big Red Floatz are pretty tasty. It looks like Seymour, IN was their test market.

Shatter
07-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Do they still have Nehi in Temple? I didn't see it last time. I thought that they might be bottling Spicewood sodas as kind of a substitute.

DPDude
07-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Shatter,
I haven't seen Nehi in the Temple/Belton/Waco area. It seems that Temple Bottling is pushing its line of Spicewood flavors. HEB in Temple carries Spicewood Springs Lemonade and Ted's Sparkling Red but not the other flavors. HEB has also been carrying Crush Strawberry, Grape and Orange in glass bottles at most of its locations.

The last time I saw Nehi in the wild was back in June in Edmond, OK where I found 20oz Nehi Peach in a 7-11 store.