PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Pepsi glass bottles, found this old ad

Android
12-21-2005, 03:32 AM
Was recently digging through my filing cabinet and found the ad below. This was from the Des Moines Register, June 17, 1998. Announcing the end of returnable 16 ounce bottles. :-(

This was the bottler that had one large bottling operation in Waterloo, Iowa that filled returnables for all of General Bottlers Iowa territories, over half the state. Only a couple of years earlier it was doing large volumes of returnables. The ad talks about "business performance" showing that these were no longer preferred, but I don't know if that is totally accurate. Their biggest outlet, Hy-Vee supermarkerts, had recently allowed their store managers to drop the product if they wanted to, which resulted in about I think half of those stores no longer selling them. I suspect Pepsi didn't fight this policy, and allowed the business to dwindle. They probably wanted to get out of the returnable bottling business anyway, the bottles they were using were in rough shape and breakage was very common.

Anyway, before they shut it down, PCGB ran a LOT of returnables and over-stocked a few stores with this final stock. If you knew where to go, you could find them avaialble months later. It was the day after Thanksgiving that I made my final trip out to Des Moines for these. The store I shopped at, was down to like a couple of pallets of these at the front of the store where months before a line of like 15 had been stacked. I wish I had brought my camera one of those times. Anyway, they still had one of the newspaper ads tacked up somewhere near the bottles, and I stole it for posterity.

I was sad, but knew I still could get the AD Heusing 12 ounce returnable bottles in Davenport. IA. That didn't end until 3 years later.

-Andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/ColaWarVeteranRetiresAd.jpg

pepsidew
12-21-2005, 05:39 AM
i have always thought 24oz bottles are too big - just too much soda for me. even 20oz bottles are sometimes too much - 16.9oz is the way to go.

PepsiBlue
12-23-2005, 01:51 AM
heh, when the 24oz bottles came here in philly, it was still when the pepsi label was white backround and it had the tail thing behind the pepsi globe (which wasnt 3d then!)

Android
12-23-2005, 05:25 AM
Well, that "Introducing" headline was BS. They had already been selling those 24 ouncers for a while before this ad came out. Well over a year. In fact, this was the bottler that test marketed the new Pepsi logo, which was slightly different than the one that finally came out - (the logo on the returnable 8 pack depicted was that test market one) and I know they had 24 ouncers with that test market logo as well.

I'm sure they just tried to promote those 24's as the best alternative to the departing 8 packs.

-Andy

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-23-2005, 06:52 PM
it's the worst alternative

01GTB
12-25-2005, 03:42 AM
In the above, replace the words 'customer' and 'consumer' with the word "bean counter." It will make much more sense.