PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Pepsi... Thoughts?

SURGE
04-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Okie so its official this summer we will see Vanilla Pepsi. To me this is a bad move. It makes Pepsi look like a knockoff (which they are) and the concept of Vanilla just goes better with Coke. Coke is a mixer, Pepsi just isnt. What do u just think? Sink or swim?

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-11-2003, 06:37 PM
sink. i believe i stated what you just wrote in the sprite ice post. this is a horrible idea.

teamtitan512
04-11-2003, 07:47 PM
I love Vanilla Coke, but also I prefer Coke anyday over Pepsi. Know Vanilla Pepsi will be a flop, Pepsi sucks period, and copying Coke isn't going to get them any attention. It's like w/Cherry Coke. Cherry Coke is quite good, and I think Wild Cherry Pepsi is disgusting.

karks88
04-12-2003, 09:39 AM
I have to agree with you Avery, this is an awful idea. Maybe Pepsi thinks this is a "safe" move because the last time they tried to come up with an orginal soda using their name, it was blue and tasted like crap. They know that people generally accept Vanilla Coke and since they can't come up with a good, creative idea on their own...

XLS_03
04-12-2003, 10:40 AM
It's to get the customers they lost that now drink Vanilla Coke back to buying there brand again. I would have went with something original that Coke doesn't have at all, like a Cinnamon Cola or something.

5Hole
04-12-2003, 12:47 PM
I don't think that it is a terrible idea. It does make them look like a cheap knockoff but what is worse; giving up a large amount of volume or making a knockoff drink and getting volume back?

The whole knockoff thing is a joke anyway. All the big companys rip off each others ideas. How many knockoff Mountain Dews and DrPeppers are on the market? Do any of the imitators actually think they are going to beat the original? No, but they do want to at least take a share of the original's volume either through small variations in the drink itself or brand loyalty(i.e. "Pepsi Drinkers" v "Coke Drinkers".

SamC
04-13-2003, 01:05 PM
The Real Thing leads and The Immitator imitates.

PepsiCo is a potato chip company with a soft drink division.

5Hole
04-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by SamC:

PepsiCo is a potato chip company with a soft drink division.So are you saying that Coke does not do their share of imitation? Sprite, Diet Coke w/ Lemon, Surge , Mellow Yellow(including a very original cherry version),and for my 2 cents Remix is a Twist on dnl.

Zeni
04-13-2003, 01:26 PM
Personally I can't stand Coke, too syrupy and it doesn't have nearly enough caffeine, but I do enjoy the occassional Vanilla Coke, they did stumble upon a good (albeit old) idea of Vanilla Cola, but I'm sure the Pepsi version will become my personal choice, just because Pepsi products, in general, have more caffeine than their coke counterparts.

sodasommelier
04-13-2003, 05:36 PM
Monkey see, monkey do. Gee whiz and Faygo Rock N Rye has been around forever.

Stop buying their crap... stop,stop! That's the only way to stop the vicious cycle!

SURGE
04-17-2003, 12:44 AM
I agree that they both imitate and instead of making this "who is a bigger imitator" contest I just wanna go back to the point that Pepsi and Vanilla just dont go together well. For years Vanilla and Coke have been mixed much as Coke and rum are mixed. This histrory led people to drink vanilla coke. Pepsi doesnt have that history. As for bringin back Pepsi drinks. I hope Coke stole them forever that ought to be their prize for being smart enough to capitilize on this first. Its only fair.

DietCokeEnthusiast
04-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 5Hole:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SamC:
So are you saying that Coke does not do their share of imitation? Sprite, Diet Coke w/ Lemon, Surge , Mellow Yellow(including a very original cherry version),and for my 2 cents Remix is a Twist on dnl.First, what exactly do you believe Sprite copied? You may say mountain dew...but it is in no way flavored like that bs. You may say Sierra Piss, considering Sprite was released when? In the 80s and Sierra Piss was released when? In 1999/2000? Yeah...get your facts straight before you try to screw around with the ultimate soda company because face it, coke is the real thing and...pepsi's not.

5Hole
04-23-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Clarke1:
First, what exactly do you believe Sprite copied? You may say mountain dew...but it is in no way flavored like that bs. You may say Sierra Piss, considering Sprite was released when? In the 80s and Sierra Piss was released when? In 1999/2000? Yeah...get your facts straight before you try to screw around with the ultimate soda company because face it, coke is the real thing and...pepsi's not.[/QB]I don't know maybe 7-up, wow genius. Typical Coke lackey.

Gary C
04-28-2003, 04:52 PM
I think it's a great addition to Pepsi's line, and personally don't care who came up with the idea first, as probably most consumers don't either. Vanilla Coke is great, but I personally prefer Pepsi over Coke, so I am very much looking forward to Pepsi Vanilla. I am glad both companies will now have vanilla versions of their colas.

fizzbizz
04-29-2003, 09:13 PM
Before Dr Pepper introed Red Fusion I heard they considered a vanilla flavor. It would of pre-empted vc and probably would of performed better than RF.

SURGE
05-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Well no offence to DPSU but they seem worse at introductions than even Coke used to be. RF and dnL are both solid sodas but from wha I have seen the DPSU guys have not done a good job promoting them. They leave too much to the local bottlers.
I really wish Coke and Pepsi would try something new. In the last ten years I can think of like 3 innovative sodas: Josta, SURGE, and Vanilla Coke. Other than that I'm not impressed. And 2 of them are gone.

chrisok
05-01-2003, 12:33 PM
I am looking forward to Vanilla Pepsi. In my opinion, Pepsi's batting .667 with their new creations. I like Code Red pretty well. I think Pepsi Twist is very good, which was a surprise to me. I, like most people, think Pepsi Blue was very bad. The one thing Pepsi should be concerned with VP is that it might be too sweet for most people's taste. Pepsi is very sweet as it is, and adding Vanilla could be overkill.

XLS_03
05-01-2003, 04:48 PM
actually basically everything Coke introduced in the 90s is gone now.

XLS_03
05-01-2003, 04:50 PM
I do agree I like Pepsi Twist too. Code Red is good and Sierra Mist isnt bad. It would have been better if Pepsi introduced something more original as a cola extension but I suppose I don't blame them for making this move.

Brennos
05-01-2003, 06:55 PM
I think I'm looking forward to Vanilla Pepsi, just to see what it's like. So maybe it's a knock-off of a Coke product, who cares? I mean, when you get right down to it, Sprite's a knock off of 7-Up, Mountain Dew is a knockoff of the original Sun Drop (and some will argue that point), and basically every root beer in the world is a knock-off of Hires. Does it matter? Not really. I think the biggest factor is brand loyalty. You could take bottled tap water, market it as both a Coke and Pepsi product, and you would have devoted fans of both.....for the same product. There are days when I believe there are no discerning consumers left, it's basically down to which propaganda they were inundated the most with. So bring on Vanilla Pepsi, Cinnamon Sprite, and Chocolate Coke. In six months, you'll have imitators, and millions of devoted fans of whatever comes.

the saint
05-02-2003, 07:15 AM
what do you think Aquafina and/ or dasani are. nothing more than tap water thru a filter. well dasani has their minerals(salt) added to it.

karks88
05-02-2003, 08:34 AM
Chocolate Coke? Man, I could go for one of those!

Tim Kelly
05-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 5Hole:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SamC:

PepsiCo is a potato chip company with a soft drink division.So are you saying that Coke does not do their share of imitation? Sprite, Diet Coke w/ Lemon, Surge , Mellow Yellow(including a very original cherry version),and for my 2 cents Remix is a Twist on dnl.</font>[/QUOTE]Not trying to start a fight, but Tropical Sprite Remix should taste half as good as dnL. I had my first, and most likely my last, just the other day. Too much smell when I opened the bottle, and it tastes like water with a faint, fruity aftertaste.

DietCokeEnthusiast
05-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Brennos:
Sprite's a knock off of 7-UPOh my god! No it isn't...whatsoever! My cousin who loves most Pepsi products, but can't stand Sierra Mist (*cough* synonym of Mountain Dew *cough*) and loves Sprite. So I went to Quebec with her (Pepsi drinkers extrodinare) and she went into a restraunt and ordered a Sprite. They lacked to mention it was 7UP and when she took a sip she spat it all over. Needless to say, we were banned from the restaraunt. But, to prove a point, 7-UP tastes nothing like Sprite, Sprite tastes nothing like 7-UP...they have two different, distinct flavor outlines.

Android
05-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Sprite's a knock off of 7-UP
--------------------------------------------------

Oh my god! No it isn't...whatsoever! "au, contraire!"...
Although they might not taste identical, Sprite IS indeed very much a knock-off of 7-up. It's one of the first batch of such knock offs the big boys made. In the early 60's, multi-slot soda machines were becoming widespread. At the time Pepsi and Coke just made cola. The local bottlers distributed other, sometimes many other, brands in addition to Pepsi and Coke. The big boys didn't like this, they wanted a Coke or Pepsi machine to just have Coke and Pepsi products in it. So they came up with company flavors. 7-up was the biggest competition so Pepsi and Coke put the most effort in that category. Sprite was successful, Pepsi's entry, Teem, was mediocre. Teem never got full distribution and limped along in some areas until Lemon/Lime Slice in the 80's. Then Sierra Missed displaced L/L Slice. I don't think Sprite has undergone any major flavor changes except the sugar to corn syrup switch since it came out. 7-Up, on the other hand, changed its taste a bit a couple of years ago. I liked the original better. If I want a lemon-lime, I go for Sprite over 7-up these days. In any case, this history lesson's point is.... they might not taste exactly the same, but they are in the same industry category, and Sprite was very much an unashamed, bold-faced imitator from day one!

andy

WILLYWONKA143
05-03-2003, 12:32 PM
I THINK VANILLA PEPSI WILL BE A BIG HIT. BUT I ALSO THINK THAT SOME PEOPLE WILL JUST STICK TO VANILLA COKE BUT COKE SUCKS

Brennos
05-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by karks88:
Chocolate Coke? Man, I could go for one of those!Me too. If you've never had one, see if you can find a local soda fountain. We still have one in an old drug store in my home town. It's probably one of my favorite sodas, along with black cherry cokes. And don't let anyone tell you that soda fountains aren't the greatest sodas on earth.

karks88
05-05-2003, 08:45 AM
My mom was mentioning how drug stores had chocolate Cokes back in the day. I think there is a drugstore in a little neighboring town that I will have to check out. If that doesn't work, I can always buy some Coke Syrup and make my own ;)

SURGE
05-05-2003, 01:14 PM
Well I totally agree that Sprite is a knockoff of 7up HOWEVER...and thats a big however people! A few years back 7up tweaked their formulation to be more Sprite-like so in an essence 7up is now the immitator. Not that I care. Both of those brands have spirit unlike Sierra Piss. Brand xtension are in general uninspiring. Code Red is one of the few sodas to make me naucious. Blue blows. Pepsi One sucks. Tropical Remix is unoffensive but nothing to write home about. Livewire seems lame, Diet Coke with Lemon is horrid. The list

KanKing
05-05-2003, 02:20 PM
I like Pepsi with Lemon so I hope this Vanilla is good. Stonger Vanilla flavor than Coke I hope.

Brennos
05-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Android:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Sprite's a knock off of 7-UP
--------------------------------------------------

Oh my god! No it isn't...whatsoever! "au, contraire!"...

andy</font>[/QUOTE]Out of curiousity, how would you describe 7-UP? I've always thought of it as a Lemon-Lime soda. I think that description is fairly accurate of Sprite as well. Then we look at history: 7-UP was created in '28 or '29 with some bizzare lithium related name. Sprite doesn't enter the market until '61.
Basically, you have one lemon-lime soda entering the market 32 years after another. I don't know how you would define imitation, but that does it for me. So what if they don't taste exactly the same. I think it's common perception that Mello Yello is a knock off of Mountain Dew. Do they taste the same? No, but there are enough similarities to assume that they are all going after the same target demographic. But that's just my two cents worth.

Brennos
05-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Android:

I completely agree with you. Sorry it doesn't look that way in the last post.

ali cahmal
05-10-2003, 08:40 PM
The Vanilla cola CAN good but thus heavy RK of times. Some people have spent many hours on the toilet bowl because OF some concocksions that acres produced here.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-29-2003, 04:32 PM
when are we going to see this junk?

teamtitan512
05-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Pepsi Vanilla will be disgusting I have a feeling.....I've found only Mountain Dew, Code Red, and LiveWire to be drinkable by Pepsi. I can't stand anything else they make. Sierra Mist is an embarrassment to the lemon lime category, if you just get it, it's sour, if you let it sit and let the carbonation run out, it becomes insanely sweet. Either way, it's undrinkable.

SURGE
06-02-2003, 09:38 PM
I tend to agree with you titan exept a few canceled Pepsi drinks like Josta and I don't care for Code Red much. If Pepsi only had real sugar here!