PDA

View Full Version : will "mentos + diet coke" video increase sales?

popologist
07-15-2006, 12:32 PM
i'm sure most of us have seen the "explossive" video of what happens when mentos are dropped into diet coke bottles. it's almost like an "urban myth" now (like pop rocks of the 70s), except that this myth is actually true.

anyway, i was just wondering how much this video will increase sales of each, as kids all across america and the world, do a backyard experiment of their own...

since kids are not generally in the diet coke demographic, i can only think that these experiments would add to their market share. ;)

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't know how this will increase the sales of each one, but... uf... can you imagine the infomercials if those videos were on sale?

Hilarious!....Funny!...order the "Best Diet Coke + Mentos Video Moments" on VHS or DVD for only $5.99... Call Now! at 1-800-COKE-GEYSER to make your order... we accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover...

BTW... when I went to one of the Outlet Malls in Vegas... I saw a stand of a man selling a liquid soap for carpets and he uses Diet Coke to show how it works... but what impressed me most is that in one side of the stand... he had like six or seven cases of 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke, regular and lime versions... just to show how the liquid soap works! :rolleyes:

[ 07-15-2006, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
07-15-2006, 04:24 PM
sort of, i know of numerous people who bought a 2 liter of diet coke and a box of mentos several times just because of that video...

popologist
07-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Rob The SURGE Drinker:
sort of, i know of numerous people who bought a 2 liter of diet coke and a box of mentos several times just because of that video... exactly my point.

popologist
07-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Ramón Cokeaholic:
I don't know how this will increase the sales of each one, but... uf... can you imagine the infomercials if those videos were on sale?

Hilarious!....Funny!...order the "Best Diet Coke + Mentos Video Moments" on VHS or DVD for only $5.99... Call Now! at 1-800-COKE-GEYSER to make your order... we accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover...

BTW... when I went to one of the Outlet Malls in Vegas... I saw a stand of a man selling a liquid soap for carpets and he uses Diet Coke to show how it works... but what impressed me most is that in one side of the stand... he had like six or seven cases of 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke, regular and lime versions... just to show how the liquid soap works! :rolleyes: from what i understand, cola doesn't stain. it rinses out with plain old water. so, basically, his test is a sham.

now, had he used coffee, tea, or grape juice... then i might be impressed. ;)

billygtexas
07-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I can see Wal-Mart stocking Mentos in the soda section now.

I just wonder what would happen if a small animal was fed mentos and diet coke...huge gas attack?? Exploding stomach?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3L4BuJXObA0&search=Mentos%20coke

jobbie
07-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I took some mentos at work, did it in the canteen, with a 2ltr bottle, it was such a laugh. Had to mop it up afterwards! LOL.

popologist
07-17-2006, 11:37 PM
why is diet coke used, anyway? does it have more explosive power than the others? because i've only seen it done with diet coke.

billygtexas
07-18-2006, 04:01 AM
Honestly I'm glad Diet Coke is preferred - nobody is drinking that nasty stuff!

Diet Coke is used because it doesnt leave a sticky mess on the sidewalk. But I have seen videos on mytube where they used all kinds of sugar and diet colas and the trick works. About the only thing that doesnt work well with mentos is clear sodas like 7-Up, Dew, Fanta Orange etc. I still havent seen anyone try Diet Dr Pepper yet.

[ 07-18-2006, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
07-18-2006, 06:12 AM
i did with a 3/4 full 20 oz of diet dr pepper, and it worked, but not as powerful...ill have to try with a two liter or something

iluvsurge220
09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
I'd never buy diet coke or diet pepsi to drink it because that stuffs not too tasty, but since I have seen the experiment, I have bought 2 2-liters of diet coke and diet pepsi just to test it for myself. Im sure many people around the country have done the same thing.

Mr Zabe
09-14-2006, 02:46 PM
I saw on TV over the weekend that if you sew the mints together (like popcorn, one after another) and drop them in one fluid motion, the pop explodes a good 5ft higher on average. You must be careful as the explosion happens in an instant. Wear safety glasses and a hard hat. smile.gif

Pictures please, I could use a good giggle. smile.gif

[ 09-14-2006, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Coco Rico
09-14-2006, 03:31 PM
In one of the videos I saw, they would drop in 6 mentos taped together and quickly screw the lid back on. Then they would take the 2 liter and slam the cap side onto the concrete. If done right, it would shoot the bottle 50-60 feet in the air; launching it clear over houses.

I also saw one where a guy just about chugged a full 2 liter of diet coke and then quickly swallowed several mentos... he vomited a spray of soda almost instantaneously...

CR

David J.
09-14-2006, 08:15 PM
That video with "Renetto" is a fake, btw.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
09-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Coco Rico:
In one of the videos I saw, they would drop in 6 mentos taped together and quickly screw the lid back on. Then they would take the 2 liter and slam the cap side onto the concrete. If done right, it would shoot the bottle 50-60 feet in the air; launching it clear over houses.
i have done that, it is cool. except once it went twords me and hit me in the chest, lol. also, you have to be FAST. I mean really fast. like jazz hands fast, lol.

[ 09-14-2006, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Rob The SURGE Drinker ]