PDA

View Full Version : What will Pepsi do for a flavor soda line?

bigbottom
07-28-2004, 09:49 AM
It is interesting to finally see Coke begin to get traction with Fanta after several attempts and now it sticks?

My question to the Board is what the hell is the most creative minds in Purchase, NY thinking to fill this void that is being filled rapidly by a number of players? It certainly can't be another feeble attempt to do it again with Slice can it?

With their Mountain theme maybe they should buy Cool Mountain and run like hell!

No thats to far of a leap. But it does sound Cool.

BIG

chrisok
07-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Pepsi has come out with Mirinda in Oklahoma and parts of Texas (that I know of). So far, the flavors they've released are Strawberry, Grape, Orange, and Pink Grapefruit. I've had the pink grapefruit and strawberry. The grapefruit is really good, as it reminds me of the old Fanta Pink Grapefruit. I'm not a big fan of strawberry, but I thought it was as good as any other strawberry. It hasn't been around long enough to tell if it will stick, but it's good to see Pepsi is at least giving it a shot.

Soda Favorites Dot Com
07-28-2004, 06:41 PM
I wouldnt be too surprised to see Pepsi finally capitalize on the success of Sierra Mist by entending the product line. From what I hear they did test a flavor extention. Pehaps they will try somethign with the Twist line eventually.

Robot
07-28-2004, 07:58 PM
well the mt dew product line is getting pretty wide..

mt dew and code red and live wire in stores in all formats..

pitch black coming this halloween for limited run..

baja blast in taco bells for limited run?

would be sweet to see livewire made permanent and a diet version...

fusion
07-28-2004, 09:46 PM
But they are all built on a high caffeine base. I'm sure we are talking about a low or no caffeine flavor line.

I could see a Sierra Mist line. That could go somewhere, but a line like Mirinda would help them tap into the Hispanic market -- like Fanta did for Coke.

The problem with Fanta is that it is way too syrupy/corn syrupy sweet.. Not really at all like the other versions. Heck, you can practically see right through Dutch Fanta Orange.

I think the real challenge is to see what flavors the public is interested in. Fanta Lemon was awesome, but the public wasn't interested. The Grape sucks, in my opinion, but people buy it. It seems like in other parts of the world people are more open to funky flavors.

Hacksaw
07-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Yes, Fanta has been leaning too much on HFCS. The Pineapple is good, but it could be better with a slightly lighter taste. They should also reformulate Fanta Orange to be more like the Dutch style Fanta Orange, or at least more like what it was in the 80's. Yes, Fanta Grape needs help, but grape soda tends not to taste too good. I haven't had a decent grape soda since Grape Crush of the 70's. And I still don't know why they have Tab, Diet Coke with Lime, & Citra taking up shelf space when they could restart flavors like Fanta Red Cream. And why have both C2 & Diet Coke at the same time?

Now, Pepsi could return to the old Patio line. Their orange was great the few times I've tried it decades ago. Time to dust off those old Patio formulas! I think it would be a great match up against Fanta, Stewart's, Crush, etc.

But, unless they work hard they won't match up against real premium sodas like Boylan's or Gray's. :cool:

teamtitan512
07-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Mirinda is my guess if they release any fruit-flavored lines.

Who's to say Fanta's gained traction though? It's gone from most areas, and seems to only be left in the Southwest in any large amount. It's almost completely gone in DC, and Consolidated is the only bottler on the East Coast, AFAIK, still trying to push this at all.

Pepsi may be the smarter company here in not targeting Hispanic soda drinkers who don't want HFCS, because of their tastes being used to pure cane sugar.

mjb1124
07-29-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Hacksaw:
And I still don't know why they have Tab, Diet Coke with Lime, & Citra taking up shelf space when they could restart flavors like Fanta Red Cream. And why have both C2 & Diet Coke at the same time?Tab has a strong cult following, Diet Coke with Lime sells very well, and they have C2 and Diet Coke at the same time because one has 50 calories and the other has none. I don't know why you put Citra (or Fanta Citrus as it's called now) on that list since it's only available in a few areas.

[ 07-29-2004, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice? ]

bigrich
07-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Fanta is everywhere in Indianapolis. I am surprised we only have three flavors since it seems to sell so well. I see billboards, tv commericials and hear radio ads all the time. I am also wondering if Pepsi Americas will try Miranda here. Imported Miranda is quite common around here.

[ 07-29-2004, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

boodoo
07-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Pepsi buys Cool Mountain? Having fun thinking about all those zeros on the check bigbottom?

No Soda
07-31-2004, 08:22 AM
Anybody remember Pepsi's flavor line called Patio? As for Fanta, the ones I've had don't taste anything like the Fanta of old. It's sad to see this great brand being revived as the poor man's Minute Maid.

fizzbizz
08-08-2004, 10:32 AM
pepsi should buy Crush from dpsu or at least sell the stuff.

Energydude
08-08-2004, 11:25 AM
DPSU still has Nehi look what they have done with that brand!

Shatter
08-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Pepsi in Baton Rouge, LA bottles Orange Crush instead of Orange Slice there. The other flavors of Crush are available, but bottled by a different third tier bottler, along with RC Cola and Cherry RC.

I found Pepsi's new Mirinda line in several places across east Texas and south Louisiana. I'm not sure how well it's selling in those places, though.

SamC
08-09-2004, 07:13 AM
PepsiCo-USA views Mirinda as an "hispanic" product, despite the fact that it is available in most of Europe and Asia, not just Latin America. It is marketed towards recent immigrants. This is a mistake.

Patio is a long forgotten brand name, but they preserve the copyright, if you look closely at 7-11 the flavoring syrup for Slurpees, its "Patio by Pepsi".

The whole problem, for both of the big 2, is that on the supermarket side of the industry, the store brand and the DPSU brand are going to cost less. On the vending side, if DPSU gets in, it is going to emphysize flavors in its machine, while the multi-varriants of Coke and Pepsi will dominate theirs.