PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's

Returnables Rock
04-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Anybody here ever drink Big Ben's soda, bottled by the Catawissa Bottling Company in Catawissa, PA? As far as I know, they are the only producers of blue birch beer in at least PA. If any of you ever get the chance, try Big Ben's orange or lime.

drpep
04-23-2003, 10:48 PM
Yes. I have had the cola, orange, and root beer. What attracted me to the product was the quart bottles from defunct bottlers that they used.

Returnables Rock
04-24-2003, 12:23 AM
I don't think I've seen a bottle from Catawissa that is any newer than 1972. It's amazing how many years the bottles have been used and most of them are still in great shape. If you ever go to Catawissa, the bottling company is located right off of RT42 and is worth a stop. The prices are great and they also have Moxie.

KanKing
04-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Tell us more about the catawissa bottling company. It is close to where I live. I may have to visit it. Not for the Moxie though. Even an aluminum can couldn't help that drink. Is this Bens soda any good?

drpep
04-24-2003, 11:11 PM
It is nothing spectacular. Not bad. If it was only in plastic I probably would not pay any attention to it after my first purchase. Its the novelty of the bottle that keeps me coming back.

Returnables Rock
04-25-2003, 04:57 PM
The Catawissa Bottling Company is a very small bottler but they are interesting because most of their production is in returnable bottles - 7, 12, and 32 ounce glass bottles. Big ben's is fun because you never know what bottle you will get. I have gotten bottles from way back in 1955!!!! 48 years old!!!! I do think their lime soda is unrivaled because I have never had anything like it. They also produce a good blue birch beer and I have never seen another brand of blue birch before.

KanKing
04-25-2003, 04:59 PM
O.K. I want some. I am down here in maryland. Where do you guys get it up there? Only from Catawissa? If so what do you do? Just go to them and buy it?

Returnables Rock
04-25-2003, 05:05 PM
From their brochure it says they distribute to about 175 places in PA and New Jersey, but I've never found it more than 30 miles from the bottling company. They have a store in the bottling company where you can just go in and buy it. However, I would recommend against getting returnables against you will actually return them. I researched the whole phasing out of returnables for a project and the #1 reason for companies stopping producing them is because everybody just threw them out. I wouldn't want to see my beloved Big Ben's switch to all plastic and cans.

Returnables Rock
04-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Since they're such a small company, they don't have a website but I did find this reference to them producing moxie. http://www.moxie.info/catawisa/index~1.htm
They also produce something like 15 flavors of soda, ginger beers, and stuff like that.

BottleBoss
04-25-2003, 05:27 PM
That's awesome, the KanKing and I will have to go up there and get some stuff. (though he prefers aluminum cans) I will return those returnables. I just wish I had somewhere to return my Mexican returnables to so they could be reused. Are they only open on week days, or do they have weekend hours? Helping run this Auto repair shop with my father takes up most of my time. I'll work it out though.

Also, It's good to find some other soda fans in this part of the country other than myself. For the longest time I have been the only person from this area posting here!

[ 04-25-2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: BottleBoss ]

drpep
04-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Near Muncy, Pa (which is 10 miles east of Williamsport) is Clarkstown which has Lowes Great Valu (Lowes Super Duper if you do a Yahoo yellow page search). Thats where I buy my Big Bens.
I also hear the Pensdale Country Store near Muncy ( do a Yahoo yellow page search for directions) has it.