PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi returnables

Returnables Rock
04-22-2003, 11:36 PM
I am new to this place so forgive me if I post a lot of things. Basically everybody i know thinks I'm wacky when it comes to soda, but anyway, does anybody have a clue where Pepsi is still sold in returnables in the United States? I bought one from Mexico the other day from an online place and the taste difference is just amazing. For being the world's only superpower, we have some crappy soda.

sodasommelier
04-22-2003, 11:55 PM
That's reason # 785 to 'return to returnables'; I agree fully!

I sell tons of Mexican Pepsi; it is great. Also Mexican Pepsi Light (the diet). Returnable/refillable glass is the best and also if you use it and refill it you pay less than for canned crap. Same is true for beer; in Brazil you can buy 5 22oz longneck refillable beers for $1 if you have your empties and it's much better than American beer. A whole case of Coke in refillables there costs like $4. Great stuff!

SamC
04-26-2003, 09:28 PM
General question guys:

I recently was involved in moving a relative off a farm. In the barn, I found several hundred returnable bottles (empty). She just didn't return them at the end of the returnable era in her area. Mostly Coke and Coke products, some Pepsi, some RC, Dr Pepper, etc. None real old (all the type that was still in use at the end of the returnable era). Also several "shells" (the returnable 4-carton wooden cases for returnable bottles) and several cardborad cartons.

Do these things have any value? Like to a colector? If not and I took them to the Coke warehouse, would they have to give me 10c each for them? Of just recycle them with other glass/pitch 'em in the dump?

Android
04-26-2003, 10:41 PM
I dont think the bottles are worth much. It depends on your state I think as to the deposit on the bottles. I think it would be a stretch though to try to get your deposit money on them though.

You see a lot of empty common and worn bottles on eBay and they don't sell unless they are very cheap. However, you might be able to make something off of the shells and carriers depending on the designs/logos and condition they are in.

andy

Shatter
04-26-2003, 11:40 PM
How many Dr Pepper related bottles do you have? And what size? I know that the Dublin, Texas Dr Pepper bottler still refills drinks like Dr Pepper, Frostie Root Beer, and Sun Crest Orange Soda. It's next to impossible to find spare empties around here in the right size. I believe they refill 16 oz. bottles. If you had full caseloads of each flavor, I might make you an offer.

XLS_03
04-27-2003, 03:54 AM
Doesn't Missouri still sell returnable Pepsi bottles? I know a few years ago they sold both Coke and Pepsi in returnables but about a year or 2 ago they stopped and from what I remember Pepsi still is still being sold in returnables.

XLS_03
04-27-2003, 03:54 AM
Doesn't Missouri still sell returnable Pepsi bottles? I know a few years ago they sold both Coke and Pepsi in returnables but about a year or 2 ago they stopped and from what I remember Pepsi still is still being sold in returnables.

Android
04-27-2003, 10:21 PM
as I reported last summer, the last returnable bottler in the US for Pepsi - Memphis, Missouri - has quit bottling. It was about 10 months ago. They were the last bottler to refill Pepsi for general consumer sale. I've heard that a couple of Pepsi bottlers (I don't know which) have kept a very limited line of 10 ounce bottles going for vending machine route customers only.

andy