PDA

View Full Version : Bawls and CompUSA

Android
04-23-2003, 01:24 PM
I was wondering if Bawls' and CompUSA's distibution deal was just a limited time promotional thing. Since I spend most of my time in Wyoming and Colorado, it was impossible to find Bawls locally until they started selling them at CompUSA. A couple of days ago I was in Denver and stopped at a CompUSA to pick up a couple of boxes of it, and noticed they only had 5 cases left. I bought three of them. The cashier mentioned "We've been trying to get rid of those for a while" and seemed to think that they would not be restocking it... hmmm I looked at Bawls' website and didn't notice anything about it other than they still list the CompUSA stores in their Locator.

andy

teamtitan512
04-23-2003, 07:38 PM
In this region, I don't remember ever seeing any other brands other than an occassional Coke or Pepsi machine at the front of the store somewhere near the exit.

fusion
04-23-2003, 07:41 PM
CompUSA had the Bawls stacked in the gaming section of the store.. they sold it by the case.

Ron Swedelson
04-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Nation wide program, not a limited time deal either. Once a store is out of product, they will be sent more. The Colorado store might be slower because BAWLS has no dist. in Colorado, so the brand awarness is low. Wyoming has BAWLS now though, and most of the state is covered. But to answer your question, it is not a limited time thing.

Shatter
04-23-2003, 10:34 PM
I thought it was a promotional thing with the Playstation 2 game 'Run Like Hell'. I bought a case and they had some kind of 'Run Like Hell' blurbs all over the case, including on the bottlecaps.

Android
04-24-2003, 06:18 AM
So Wyoming has Bawls now? I have yet to see it anywhere. About the only stores that carry anything other than Pepsi/Coke lines are the Kum and Go convenience stores, I go in there mostly because they are about the only place I can find RC cola if I'm in the mood for cola when I'm travelling. They sell Jones, although I won't touch that stuff. Never seen any bawls there though. Bawls website just gives an error when I check Wyoming for retail outlets. They list a couple of distributors but none are in my part of the state. (also, the CompUSA deal is nice because you buy it by the half-case and its a bit cheaper that way)

andy

Ron Swedelson
04-24-2003, 12:54 PM
The Run like Hell packaging was a promotion to help push it into the stores, but the 12 pack will stay there. There may be other promotions in the future, it may just go to our normal 12 pack box, but it is not a limmited time thing. Also, the Kum and Go stores are not selling Bawls yet because they have some stores in other states that we do not have coverage on yet. Are you on the West side, East, North, or South side of Wyoming? I know over in and around Rock Springs, the Albertsons and Smiths all carry Bawls. Keep your eye open, you are bound to see it sometime soon.

Android
04-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Ron, I'm in Douglas.... which is 50 miles east of Casper. Thats the east-central part of the state. Rock Springs is pretty far away from me... (like I said, its easier, and probably cheaper, to pick up 12 packs at CompUSA every couple months I make it to Denver)

andy

Ron Swedelson
04-25-2003, 12:00 AM
I know one of my distributors in Worland carries Bawls as well, but I believe you are south and in between them and Rock springs. We are adding new dist. in the state as we speak so hopfuly we can find some stores near you soon.

sodasommelier
05-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Yeah, if you're ever down in LA you can come by and buy BAWLS in the 24pack! Hardly a day goes by when someone doesn't come by for their BAWLS. We've become like one of our liquor store customers... we recognize the car as it pulls into our driveway and we're already fetching the regular number of cases of Bawls so that we can wheel them to the car before they even get out. Bawls customers come very regularly and they are pretty impressed that we give them such great service smile.gif

mrshasta
05-13-2003, 11:06 AM
I beg to differ with Ron about Bawls at CompUSA. My buddy works there and he told me that Bawls is coded A4. That's an active sku but special order only. The stores GM would have to specifically call the buyer and request a reorder.
Don't get your hopes too high...it's taking way too long for most stores to sell through the intial order.

Ron Swedelson
05-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Let me tell you that actually BAWLS is in CompUSA's top 5 selling skus every week. There may be the occational store were BAWLS did not move, but for the most part it flies. I believe there are about 200 stores in the chain, and BAWLS is in about 150 or so. There may be a chance that your friend works in one of the unlucky stores. But make no mistake about it, BAWLS is hot at CompUSA, top 5, every week.

sodasommelier
05-16-2003, 01:05 AM
Hey if you're in Las Vegas you can drive down here to LA and fill your car with BAWLS right at our warehouse! No special order; just let us know you're coming so we can have your order prepared! You'll make it back to LV quicker with all the energy you get from the BAWLS!

Ron Swedelson
05-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Look at Danny, trying to give a sales pitch on BAWLS. Well, at least there are not many CompUSA stores close by to you. I think the closest one that sells the product is just off of highway 10, I think. But it is a good price for customers to get BAWLS at Comp, only $16.99 a 12 pack. But if you are buying in bulk, hopefuly Danny can beat that price to the general public, but I guess that only works if you are in the torrence area.

mrshasta
05-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Oh pleeeaseeee....top 5? Lets see...it's right up there with Windows XP, Office XP, Grand Theft Vice City, Compaq, Adobe Photoshop....I don't think so. Anything remotely approaching a Top 5 seller would be coded A1. Nice try...didn't you use to work for Jones?

Ron Swedelson
05-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Yup, top 5, don't believe me, thats fine. If I could put their sales figures on the site here I would, but I do not believe I am able to. We used to be in their top 10, but we now moved up to top 5. If you understand the gaming industry, you would know how succesful we are with the gamers. BAWLS was brought into CompUSA to help bring in more gaming customers to the store. Many people go in to buy just BAWLS, go in and pick up 10-15 cases for their lan parties. But back to the point, BAWLS is huge at CompUSA, you don't like the sales figure, fine, I'm the one seeing the sales numbers and my pay checks rise.

sodasommelier
05-30-2003, 03:16 AM
There is a CompUSA on Hawthorne Blvd near the 405, about 5 miles from our warehouse. I haven't been in there before but I think it's near the Redondo Beach Galleria and Ralphs on the west side of the street. But hey if you travel there how about the extra 5 miles and get twice as many bottles of Bawls for only about $5 more. I mean, if you really are a voracious Bawls consumer you may as well stock up and save. For just a bottle or two you should pick that up wherever is most convenient. Anyway we also have about 800 totally cool glass-bottled drinks just to make the trip more fulfilling. We don't have a whole lot in the area of computers but hey if you buy a carload of drinks from us I'd probably throw in one of our broken HP printers free of charge.

I've even got some really cool original Bawls posters and table tents which I might be willing to give away if you come by and buy a ton of Bawls... But this is not for a case or two; you better be a really serious Bawls drinker to get the collector's items!!

Android
05-30-2003, 03:40 AM
Danny... man I wish your warehouse was an option for me! You need to open a more geographicly central located distribution/sales center.... say in Casper Wyoming. ;)

tomorrow I'll be going to be shopping for something in Denver and there's a CompUSA not too far from where I'm going. Never been in that one before though. I'll probably stop in and see if I can't restock some of my Bawls stock. (just worked a month of graveyard shift)

andy

Ron Swedelson
05-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Yeah, Dannys warehouse is definatly something to see, even if you don't plan to buy a bunch of drinks. But see how BAWLS stands out. A great, top brand in Dannys warehouse which holds hundreds and hundreds of different drinks. Or a top 5 brand in CompUSA which we are the only drink they sell, and we are still in the top 5 among electronics (some stores have vending machins, but not controled by the store)

Orangeman
05-30-2003, 03:41 PM
I was falling asleep on the 210 Freeway the other day, so I pulled off at Monrovia to hit the Comp USA. No Bawls.
I've been in Danny's warehouse - quite a trip. Everybody on this site should get together, get transportation as a group, and conduct a "pilgrimage". I'm sure Danny would don a preacher's robe and tell you words of wisdom as you quaff the glass enclosed beverages.

sodasommelier
05-31-2003, 01:59 AM
Aw gee whiz Orangeman... there is Bawls really close to there at Interact CD Rom Store on Lake Ave in Pasadena, right off the 210!!! Hmmm... could I handle a pilgrimage? I don't know but a few times Marymount College has sent its business students over for a roundtable discussion in THE ROOM. I gave all of the students each a bottle of Mango Nectracide as a parting gift!!

Speaking of BAWLS in fact it's getting sparse out here; we need another bottling run hint hint hint!! In fact, somewhere I've got a picture of the BAWLSMOBILE at our warehouse a few years back. That was a huge fibreglass Bawls bottle on a trailer that roamed the USA doing samplings.

Anyway, Orangeman... I was thinking of you today because I delivered some stuff (don't know how it ended up in my warehouse) to an old drug store in Torrance that we went to together two years ago and originally opened as an account. They got Orangina, Bubble Up, and Boylans Black Cherry. And oh yeah there is a place near your house that has Bawls; off Lyons Ave called Sunny Brook Market. It's across from that brewery place in that pedestrian mall. I've only been there once but my driver John goes there all the time. The ladies who own it are right out of the 60's; lots of fun!

One time I sold a bottle of Bawls out of my ice chest in my van to the security guard of a little complex in the Hollywood Hills... I only charged her a dollar!!

Hey Android want to have a mixed pallet of soda shipped up to Casper Wyoming? I can arrange that... And also when you're in Denver I can recommend some places to get great sodas at although I don't know who sells Bawls there. But there are about 100 different bottled sodas in Denver...

Ron Swedelson
05-31-2003, 11:05 AM
If you are talking about the store in Monrovia on Huntington drive, then they got BAWLS. Unless they were out of stock. I know one store had to move their pallet to the back room cause people liked BAWLS so much, they kept taking single bottles from the 12 packs and just started drinking them in the store. Anyway, hope you find it next time you are looking.

Android
06-03-2003, 05:12 PM
I hit that other CompUSA in Aurora (denver) while on my road trip a few days ago. They had BAWLS, but again, only a few 12-packs on the shelf. Danny mentioned above that Bawls needs to do another bottling run, I wonder if that's why the shelves are looking bare (??) at these CompUSA stores.

andy

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-03-2003, 09:40 PM
hey ron - who's your michigan distributor for bawls? specifically in the southeast/detroit area?

Ron Swedelson
06-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Michigan is not in my area, but I do not believe we have anyone there, yet. But give us time, I'd like to think that in the next year we will be more popular and have higher sales than Red Bull. Will that happen? Uhhh, I wouldnt put any money on that, but I would like to think it.

Android
06-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Hey Ron, by the way, I just got back from a local (non-chain) grocery store here in Douglas that I almost never shop at. They had a stack of Bawls by the front door. The price wasn't too bad either, just 1.49 a bottle. So when I dwindle my CompUSA supply down I finally have a local supply!

andy

mrshasta
06-19-2003, 09:34 PM
That's funny...a top 5 seller and nobody can seem to find the product in any quantity in the stores. Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Ron Swedelson
06-20-2003, 12:15 PM
A few cases on the shelf does not mean they are out of product. Many stores that I have visited sell numerous cases daily, but because of the popularity, they keep their pallets in backstock. Many people would either just try and steal a case, or keep opening up the 12 packs and drinking the bottles in the store. Keeping a few cases on the sheves is easier to watch than a pallet of 120 cases.

boodoo
06-23-2003, 09:40 AM
Texas has no Bawls? Say it aint so.....damn those German dock workers!

Ron Swedelson
06-23-2003, 11:49 AM
This week everything should be back to normal, and everyone will have full shelves.

Android
10-20-2003, 05:45 PM
I thought I'd bring this topic back up to the top again. Yesterday I was in Denver and stopped by a CompUSA store thinking I'd pick up a 12pack or two of Bawls, but didn't find any at all. The shelves they used to have it on are stocked with games now. It was just about closing time so I didn't feel like asking anyone about it. I was going to get some there because neither of the two stores that were selling it here in Douglas seemed to have restocked it. :(

andy

Ron Swedelson
10-20-2003, 08:59 PM
Yeah, part of the problem since we are their only beverage, is that we don't have a permanent home in their stores. Although most stores carry it, we are moved week to week depending on floor space or counter displays.

sodasommelier
10-22-2003, 03:08 AM
Yes it is amazing how these corporate giants who shun direct store delivery are always out of stock. If the one on Hawthorne Blvd in Torrance were buying from us they'd have it all the time smile.gif But in fact it's a good thing they don't stock it diligently because we have snagged about a dozen drive-up customers due to their lack of motivation towards the product. When the drive-ups see we can give them 24 bottles for $21.95 they tell their friends and so on and so on and so on!!! smile.gif

Hey Android if you ever come to LA I'll give you a great deal on Bawls; you can fill your car. I'll give you a couple bucks off each case as well in appreciation for your sending me those cool caps smile.gif

Android
10-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Danny, don't know if I'll ever get to L.A.... maybe sometime! I got as close as Flagstaff this year. I would like to see your glass bottle oasis someday.

As for now, I'd just prefer it if the grocery store 4 blocks from here would restock Bawls. I ought to ask them about if they are going to.

andy

sodasommelier
10-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Hey Andy... if you lived in Torrance you could be four blocks from our warehouse smile.gif Anyway if you are ever headed this way there are tons of delicious beverages that await you smile.gif

Speaking of Bawls we now sell more cases to random people driving up than to any one store. People are obviously telling their friends etc because the number just keeps growing. Then when some of them see all the stuff we have sometimes they buy a whole trunkload of stuff; take it to a party, people there ask where to get it and then more and more and more just keep coming smile.gif