PDA

View Full Version : KP Coca Cola

mattgs0
03-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Has anybody been able to find this in stores? I live 20 minutes from Coke Headquarters and cannot find it in any big chain grocery stores. What gives :mad:

bigrich
03-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Yes it is here in Indianapolis from CCE. It has been brought in from CCE in Alexandria, VA in 2L PET. From the size of the displays I see it has been shipped in by the truck load. The sign at Kroger says, "Passover Coke, Limited Time Only, Original Sugar Cane Formula".

mattgs0
03-31-2005, 04:17 PM
I checked a few Krogers in Atlanta and I found the yellow cap 2L, but none that are KP. What color are the caps?

Kyle101
03-31-2005, 05:31 PM
never heard of it ?

bigrich
03-31-2005, 11:54 PM
The caps are yellow with a OU-P symbol. It is also printed with ink on the side under the expiration date: OU-PASSOVER. You may need to visit a largely Jewish area as that is where I find it here in select places in Indianapolis.

mickstafa
04-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Publix in Atlanta had 1(!) bottle of it. It was just randomly with the other 2-L's. Needless to say, I bought it. I really wish Coke would keep this version throughout the year.

Lepke
04-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Coke and Pepsi are in this for a profit. Corn is subsidized by the American government to support American farmers, making corn products cheep. On the other hand I believe imported sugar has import tariffs on it. I could be wrong but I believe this to be the case.
Most Americans have no idea that they are not using real sugar and couldn’t taste a difference if they did know. So the American public does not care and is not aware of the health issues surrounding HFCS. It’s all about the bottom line.
In the rest of the world I believe they use sugar.

[ 04-01-2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-02-2005, 12:27 PM
most sugar tariffs were put in place to protect american sugar beet/cane farmers against mexican sugar. with nafta, these will be expiring in 2009

SplitLevelP
04-02-2005, 10:15 PM
K for P coke is now out in Utica area at Hannaford in Herkimer,ny The caps are yellow however no jewish writing. there is a up on the cap.

bigrich
04-03-2005, 01:03 AM
We should also end the embargo with Cuba and again buy plenty of sugar from them. Is there still a bottler for Coke in North Dakota still using beet sugar in their drinks?

[ 04-02-2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

NewColaLover
04-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Can this be found anywhere in the Detroit, MI area? I know there are alot of Jewish people in the area and I hope this can be found somewhere. It sounds really good!

[ 04-05-2005, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: NewColaLover ]

doug1885
04-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by bigrich:
Is there still a bottler for Coke in North Dakota still using beet sugar in their drinks? You might try the Kansas-Colorado border area, too. A couple of years ago, not far from some beet refiners, I had some Dr Pepper at a McDonald's in southwest Kansas that was distinctly non-HFCS.

-Doug

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-12-2005, 11:18 AM
yes it can. and i wouldn't be surprised if you could find it in ann arbor as well

KevinGrevey
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
There is really a Passover Coke?

Kyle101
04-12-2005, 02:37 PM
yup, companies will try to sell you anything these days

NRGChick
04-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Seems that more, and more products are coming to be kosher. Why not beverages. I know we do kosher products. Not sure how many we actually do, but I know that quite a few are.

Lepke
04-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Kyle101:
yup, companies will try to sell you anything these days The major majority of soft drinks manufactured in America are kosher and have been for over 80 years now. Many manufacturers in the United States have chosen to serve the Jewish community with kosher and kosher for Passover products for many years.
H J Heinz Company started kosher certification of many of its product lines in the 19th century as a way to prove their products were pure and wholesome. All milk in America is kosher. Many products are certified kosher and Jews are not the only people to seek out these items. Muslims, people sensitive or allergic to certain foods, vegan or vegetarians and seventh day Adventists will buy kosher food products. When a manufacturer chooses to have their product certified kosher they do so voluntarily in the expectation they will see a profit by serving a segment of the population whose religion requires they eat only kosher foods.
I would like to know what you mean by the above statement?

Bash125
04-12-2005, 05:42 PM
No the Coke is koser for passover corn products (high fructose corn syurp) are not kosher for passover

During Passover, Jews refrain from eating chometz: anything that contains barley, wheat, rye, oats, and spelt, and is not cooked within 18 minutes after coming in contact with water. No leavening is allowed. This signifies the fact that the Hebrews had no time to let their bread rise as they made a hurried escape from Egypt.

Jews of different backgrounds do not observe all of the same rules. Ashkenazi Jews, who come from Europe (most Jews in America), also avoid corn, rice, peanuts, and legumes as they are also used to make bread and may have other grains mixed in. These items are known as kitniyot.

Rules and guidelines may be extremely stringent. Not only must Orthodox Jews not eat these items, but they also must completely remove them and any food that has come in contact with them from their homes. They may throw them away, burn them, or sell them to a non-Jew (they are allowed to buy them back at the end of Passover). Some go through amazingly thorough and labor-intensive cleaning processes to rid their homes of any hint of chometz or kitniyot. For example:

Sinks, refrigerators, ovens, and stoves must be scoured and then not used for at least 24 hours before the beginning of Passover. Specific Passover china must be used.

Silverware must be "heated to a glow" and then cooled. Items are placed in a pot of boiling water (usually one at a time, because they must not touch each other during the process) and then immediately submerged in cold water.

Pots must be cleaned inside and out. To accomplish this, a pot must be filled with water and brought to a boil. Then to clean the outside, a brick or rock is placed inside to cause the boiling water to flow over the sides. However, said rock must be hot because the water must still be boiling as it cascades over the sides. A cool rock would cool the water when it came in contact. A blowtorch can be used if one is available.

Passover Dates
2002 March 28–April 4
2003 April 17–24
2004 April 6–13
2005 April 24–31

Items which seem acceptable for Passover but may not be:

Soda: Most sodas contain corn syrup. Since eating corn is a no-no, soda containing corn syrup is also out. Even if corn syrup is not used, sodas generally have "additional flavorings" which are not divulged and could be derived from grains. Only sodas produced under supervision of a rabbi or other official certified agencies are acceptable.

Frozen vegetables: Many bags of frozen vegetables are produced on the same machinery that also produces pasta or pasta/vegetable blends. Since pasta is made from grain and not allowed, neither are most frozen vegetables, unless made under supervision.

Raw vegetables: Some fruits and vegetables (cucumbers for example) have wax coatings that may be made from soy proteins and oils derived from grain. Sorry, no dice.

Dried fruits: These are often dried in ovens where bread is sometimes baked. Some also have waxes, oils, and even traces of flour to prevent sticking.

Marshmallows: Not allowed unless made under supervision. They contain gelatin, which is made from the bones of potentially non-kosher animals.

Milk: Unsuitable additives are often used. Chocolate milk is usually unacceptable because it could contain corn syrup or malt, which is made from grain.

Kyle101
04-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Just the first time I ever heard of a drink be'n kosher. Not try'n to imply anything. Guess I'm just uneducated on this topic. I know that there's kosher foods & other stuff, just didn't think drinks were. Now I know. smile.gif

STLou
04-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know why kp coke goes flat faster than regular coke?

Also- does it seem to anyone else out there that kp coke is flatter that regular coke when you first open it too?

Another question- is it true what I've heard-that the new coke was introduced so that consumers wouldn't be able to tell that coca-cola was switching from cane sugar to hfcs?

jmyjunk
04-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, the are here in Boulder!!!

Found a bunch of KP Coke 2 ltr. and Pepsi as well!

Stocked up, and going to enjoy them for the next few weeks.

Much cleaner taste than that of HFCS.

Android
04-26-2005, 12:05 AM
the story about New Coke and HFCS, not true - Coke had actually phased in HFCS in the years prior to New Coke. They did it before Pepsi, actually.

andy

fusion
04-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Kosher Pepsi is also now available in Maryland. I spotted some of it in a few stores this weekend.. coming from Piscataway NJ (PY).

RufusRyker
04-27-2005, 03:32 AM
Kosher Pepsi can be found in Westchester, NY. I've seen both regular pepsi and caffeine free with the white tops, with KP written on them. I'm still looking for Coke, which I prefer, but I'm sure there are plenty around here--I found a bunch last year.

cstu
07-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Actually the Coke story is true, but you're right they had already started replacing sugar with HFCS for years (and were also losing market share). However, a few months before the release of New Coke they switched completely to HFCS.

Coincidence the right after the complete switch that New Coke comes out to make people miss "real" Coke (which isn't "real" with sugar anymore)?