PDA

View Full Version : Truth in Labeling,Mid Calorie ?

rackitup
12-09-2006, 01:37 AM
WTH? I bought a Bottle of Jones Lime something and it has Splenda in it.

For the Folks who Like Splend that is a good thing (I know there is a Large trend towards low calorie/SF),BUT for the rest of us it is Bad.

I would think if you were a Beverage CO. you would be Proud to list the Premium ingredient Splenda, and use the common symbol for it.

I have not been able to tell the difference from the regular Jones Soda line to the Jones "Mid Calorie" soda line by simply looking @ the Can I can however tell the difference from their sugar free stuff(it says sugar free on the bottle).

[ 12-09-2006, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: rackitup ]

the saint
12-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Did it actually say "splenda" or was the ingredient label listing it as sucralose? IIRC, I think there is licensing fees to put the actual brand name "splenda" on stuff, otherwise you have to list it as sucralose.

rackitup
12-09-2006, 01:58 AM
I do not have the Bottle anymore, I did not find out about the sucralose untill I tasted it.

I do have a can of Twisted Lime soda in front of me and it lists HFC's, Sucralose (SplendRBrand).

I imagine that this can is a part of their "Mid Calorie" line.

I also have a Can of Strawberry Lime Soda in front of me and it is only sweetened with HFC's.

Maybee they think Consumers only look at the final calorie count (Twisted Lime-90)(Strawberry Lime-190)and think they will pretend that there is no Sucralose, or better yet do not know what it is.

the saint
12-09-2006, 02:15 AM
wow 90 calories isn't really a "mid" calorie IMO. but I guess if 190 is regular and 0 is diet 90 is in the middle. I do not remember for sure but I think Pepsi edge and C2 were in the 50- or so calorie range

[ 12-09-2006, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: the saint ]

rackitup
12-09-2006, 02:28 AM
What gets me is that my "mid Calorie" Jones Soda does not say "mid calorie", and looks Exactly like the regular Jones Soda.

I am not sure if you saw it or not but Bev Net listed the Press release from Jones Soda about being the first soda Co to switch to Cane Sugar, and eliminate HFC's in it's can line.
In the Press release Peter Van Stolk sounded like he thought he was the first to do it.
It reminded me of another Bev Net Member who boasts Pure cane sugar and has other ingredients as well.

Blue Efficacy
12-09-2006, 02:47 AM
Same deal with the watermelon Jones. I bought a 12 pack and was pretty pissed.

rackitup
12-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Blue Efficacy:
Same deal with the watermelon Jones. I bought a 12 pack and was pretty pissed. Could you tell if there was ANYTHING on the package or Can that said Mid Calorie?

Was there any difference in the package that would lead you to believe that it was other than their Regular Soda line?

ColaFan
12-10-2006, 10:25 PM
More people know the name Splenda. The company (Tate and Lyle) is doing a pretty good job getting the word out about it. I mention Splenda to my hayseed friends and it's somethig the recognize. I say Sucralose, and they have no idea what I am talking about.
Aside from your shock when you read the label.... how was the taste?

IMHO... Pepsi One is the only splenda beverage that tastes good

Blue Efficacy
12-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by rackitup:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blue Efficacy:
Same deal with the watermelon Jones. I bought a 12 pack and was pretty pissed. Could you tell if there was ANYTHING on the package or Can that said Mid Calorie?

Was there any difference in the package that would lead you to believe that it was other than their Regular Soda line? </font>[/QUOTE]Beyond the ingredients list and the nutrition facts label, NO.

ichiro
12-11-2006, 10:25 AM
twisted lime is excellent. I appreciate being able to get a great tasting soda for about half the calories. Good job jones. Also can't wait for the cane sugar sodas to hit the market in o7.

Blue Efficacy
12-13-2006, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by ichiro:
twisted lime is excellent. I appreciate being able to get a great tasting soda for about half the calories. Good job jones. Also can't wait for the cane sugar sodas to hit the market in o7. The taste is not the main issue here, its the fact that Jones does not indicate on its packaging that it is a "mid calorie" artificially sweetened beverage.

Dr. dnL
12-13-2006, 09:02 AM
wow 90 calories isn't really a "mid" calorie IMO. but I guess if 190 is regular and 0 is diet 90 is in the middle. I do not remember for sure but I think Pepsi edge and C2 were in the 50- or so calorie rangeSaint,

Coke C2 and Pepsi Edge were both in the 70-80 calorie range. We still get C2 here in Jax and I happen to have a can of Pepsi Edge at my desk.

90 calories for a mid-calorie soda sounds about right to me.

rackitup
12-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Blue Efficacy:
[/qb]The taste is not the main issue here, its the fact that Jones does not indicate on its packaging that it is a "mid calorie" artificially sweetened beverage. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Blue Efficacy...............................
Thanks for getting it.