PDA

View Full Version : Grapette...in glass?

01GTB
01-02-2006, 01:36 AM
I was browsing the internet in search of Grapette information when I stumbled across a couple of sites that show a longneck Grapette bottle. One of these sites has the prices and brief description and a link the says "email when avaiable."

Is this just an old link that was never updated? Or is there, in fact, a bottler producing longneck Grapettes? This is one of my mom's all-time favorites and I would love to show up at her house with a case of it, if it actually exists. And of course that is if it is like the original, or at least close to it.

DPDude
01-02-2006, 02:01 AM
You won't find Grapette bottled in glass any more. Wal-Mart has the exclusive retail rights to it and Orangette and they're only doing 2 liter plastic along with 8oz and 12oz cans.

If's, And's and Butt's in Dallas was my source for Grapette in glass bottles but they can't get any more since the maker, Grapette International, has signed an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart. They stopped bottling in glass and now they just make the concentrate and count their money from Wal-Mart.

BTW, Wal-Mart uses local bottling plants around the country to make the end product. In south Texas Wal-Mart uses Cott Beverage as their bottler of choice for their house brands as well as Grapette and Orangette.

-DPDude

01GTB
01-02-2006, 02:23 AM
I've had some of the Sam's Grapette, have some in the fridge in fact. I never really was a Grapette drinker as a kid, so I don't know how far off it is from the original. Go ahead and laugh, but to me it seems a little tacky and cheapens the experience with the Sam's Choice logo plastered on it :D

Thanks for the info though. I was just really hoping someone other than WM was marketing it, and in glass.

I don't want to steal the image from the site, nor do I really want to post a link to it. I am not sure if that is appropriate here or not. But anyway, the bottle is a longneck and has a bunch of grapes on it with Grapette in the center. Any clue what bottler used that one and when that might have been?

[ 01-02-2006, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

drpep
01-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I bought and drank bottle about 3 years ago and I think I just tossed it last month. I'll look and see if I still have it and check for a bottler code.

01GTB
01-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks smile.gif

fusion
01-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I thought Cott (or one of their subsidiaries) did all the WM bottling.

There's a 1958 full bottle of Grapette currently on Ebay.. but I doubt anyone would want to drink that!

DPDude
01-03-2006, 12:51 AM
My last full bottle of Grapette has a blank cap on it meaning it was part of the last production run. No bottler code anywhere on the bottle but I've heard that it came from a plant in Arkansas.

BottleBoss
01-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Grapette has turned into generic Wal-Mart junk.