PDA

View Full Version : Sodas from India, with picture:

BottleBoss
01-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Right off Maryland 355 just before Rockville is an Indian food store called Patel? Brothers. My wife and I stopped in there to look around. Below are a few of the sodas they had. I think I got 1 of each.
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=257256
1. Kashmiri is a Masala soda.
2. Maaza is a Mango Drink.
3. Dukes- Another Masala soda.
4. Thums up- Don't know.
5. Limca- Don't know.

Mr Zabe
01-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Pray tell. Did you taste any of them?
They look pretty old.

BottleBoss
01-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Some have current manufacturer dates on them but they do look old. I haven't tried any yet but I will leave a review when I do.

Chad.
01-02-2006, 07:38 PM
i have had thumbs up from india beofre and it tastes like chemicals

ramonazo
01-02-2006, 07:47 PM
That Maaza looks delicious... tongue.gif

[ 01-02-2006, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

sodablog
01-02-2006, 08:59 PM
BottleBoss: I'm pretty close to where you live - Are there any MD/VA stores I should look into for hard to find soda?

da987
01-03-2006, 06:27 PM
All of these are drinks are still made by Coca-Cola India, they have them all on their website. I believe that Thums Up is also a cola. I think I read somewhere that before Coke returned to the Indian market, Thums up was the most popular soda in India, so Coke being who they are bought it.

BottleBoss
01-09-2006, 08:37 AM
I tried them so here it goes:
1. Thums up- Tastes like any normal generic cola. I little weak I thought.
2. Limca- Tastes like a weak flavored not too sweet lime flavored soda. Lime-ca?
3. Dukes Masala Soda- Just the smell of this stuff when I poured it into the glass was soo bad I almost passed out. It smelled like my wifes spice cabinet, only stronger. It tasted the same way. This is the only drink that I literally had to spit out. I really don't know how to describe the flavor. Other than, It tastes like masala spice. NASTY! Masala spice may be decent in food but in drinks it is really bad.

SamC
01-09-2006, 10:32 PM
As I understand the story, India's government changed parties in 1977, and the new bunch was very anti-US and took it out on Coca-Cola. Made all sorts of unreasonable demands on the company, and HQ just told them to to forget it. Ground over 10 million returnable bottles to glass dust and abandoned the country.

Many competetor colas of local origin were then marketed, the most successful being "Thumbs Up". Coke returned in 1993 and bought the Thumbs Up company.

You will see the Indian sodas at Indian food stores from time to time. Thumbs Up takes like a typical generic cola. Most of the fruit flavored stuff is too sweet for me.

popologist
01-12-2006, 12:51 PM
isn't india where the water has all those carcinogenics in it?

my friend lived there for a couple years... and drank lots of diet coke... and came back with throat cancer.

i'm not saying it's related, but... it could be.

he's all cured now, though.

jmyjunk
01-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
isn't india where the water has all those carcinogenics in it?

my friend lived there for a couple years... and drank lots of diet coke... and came back with throat cancer.

i'm not saying it's related, but... it could be.

he's all cured now, though. ????

I'll call shenanigans on that statement.

All water that goes in Coke or Pepsi, and any major bottler that has it's worth is salt, no matter what part of the world, is boiled and purified.

[ 01-12-2006, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]