PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Edge found

Synchronicitysix
01-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey all, I found about a dozen pepsi edges in a local convience store here near Boston today. Was quite suprised to see them since Edge disapeared from this area awhile ago. Couldn't find any dates on them

nWoAssassin94
01-03-2006, 02:18 AM
There is a vending machine at an old gas station in my area that still has Pepsi Edge in 20 oz. bottles, even though they expired in mid-2004!

Android
01-03-2006, 05:21 AM
I think I bought what will be the last Edge for myself a couple of days ago. June was when they ran them last at the Wyoming bottler, and most stores sold out of their stock a while ago, but if you hit the less-busy stores you still may find it. In the past, I've had Edge in cans that was 3-4 months past its date and they still tasted OK. I've mentioned this before, Pepsi put both 6 and 9 month expiration dates on this final run they did and it's now been 7 months, they still taste OK to me. I have like 10 12pks in the basement now and that will be it for me.

-Andy

popologist
01-03-2006, 09:54 AM
i'm surprised the Edge/C2 thing didn't turn out better. not sure if it was just poor marketing or what.

Mr Zabe
01-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Just my arm chair thought. smile.gif

In my opinion both Pepsi and Coke have been going to the well once to often in trying too
utilize existing brands to develop new segments within a catagory.

Granted I was not a fan of Edge or C2; IMO drinkers (marginal not hard core) did not develop strong demand due to the real or perceived similarities between other diet brands and or regular soda pop brands in the same family of companies.

My guess is that there is a new demographic of soda pop drinker that will buy diet and regular soda pop. Given a choice and based on a few other factors (economy,psyical activity, reward binging ect) this group of people crave the real (HFCS) soda pop. They will drink diet too but not as their go to soda pop.

What I'm saying is that today there is a much less demand from dedicated diet soda pop drinkers.
Diet soda pop will always have it's core consumers. The catagory will always get good market share but it's consumers tend to be less loyal and more willing to splurge on other soda pops,waters and energy drinks.

Just IMO. smile.gif

[ 01-03-2006, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
01-03-2006, 11:24 AM
well i liked C2 and started drinking it in place of regular Classic. i still drank Diet Coke (now Zero) most of the time though.

maybe Coke/Pepsi saw that a product like C2/Edge was only going to siphon drinkers from their core brands (since diet drinks have a specific purpose--no calories), and, so, they didn't get the push would've made them successes.

or... maybe... there really just wasn't a large market for a mid-calorie drink.

we'll probably never know, since the marketing was so poor to begin with.

Coke almost made the same mistake with Zero, but seem to have gotten things back on track, since Zero is doing very well now. my guess is that word-of-mouth for Zero was phenomenal.

PSOmasterX77
01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Pshh screw healthier sodas, Pepsi should have just stuck with Pepsi Blue and quit trying to market any new failures. duh.

ColaFan
01-04-2006, 09:10 PM
I am sure that some of the bottlers can continue to produce Edge if they want, especially if it is selling in their area. I saw some here recently in Nor Cal and the dates were fairly new. Fresh Suff and I bought some :)

Android
01-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Well,seeing as Pepsi no longer lists any info about Edge on their website, I think you can consider it discontinued now.

-Andy