PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Slogans

chrisok
05-01-2003, 01:22 PM
I was bumping around the Moutain Dew website and I saw a banner for Code Red. It said, "Drink Code Red - A Sensation As Real As The Streets". Who is the marketing genius that came up with this one? Something this great must have been a team effort. If this doesn't make street people want a Code Red, then nothing will. I, who grew up in the suburbs of Oklahoma City, have always wanted sensation of being "on the streets".

Anyway, this got me thinking about dumb slogans I heard over the years. The first one that comes to mind is the original slogan for Cherry Coke. The slogan was something like, "Isn't it cool and pink?" That's a winner.

I was wondering if any of you had some favorites?

Meanwhile, I'm off to get a Code Red.

drpep
05-01-2003, 07:27 PM
I never liked Mr. Pibb's "Put it in your head" slogan.

Brennos
05-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Coke had some humdingers in my opinion. My personal favorite is "Delicious, wholesome, refreshing." I think it's from the early 40's or something. Ranks right up there with "Ice-cold sunshine"

FitzgeraldHead
05-01-2003, 07:46 PM
Not a drink slogan, but any McDonalds ad... I hate those with all of my heart. "Did somebody say McDonalds?" "Have you had your break today?" There are more, but I don't want to think too hard and become distraught over nightmare slogans. ****, all of them.

Goldmember
05-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Speaking of dumb slogans-- look no further than the Switch banner ad at the top of this page.

Ron Swedelson
05-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Not the worse, but one of the best "Bust a nut" by corn nuts. Not a beverage, but it had to be said

SamC
05-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Least favorite in the soda catagory:

"Put it in your head" (Mr Pibb) What the h**l does that even mean?

"There is nothin' mellow about it" (Mello Yello) Mountian Dew changed from a country/red neck them to an irresponsible youth/extreme sports theme and KO just paniced that its copy contained the word "mello".

"Got milk?" (milk) Ok, not a soda, but a bunch of out of touch celebrities who you know don't drink milk being paid by a tax on farmers that pushes up the cost of milk.

"Dr Pepper 10-2-4" (Dr Pepper) An oldie, but what does that mean?

"It will tickle your inards" (Mountain Dew) I don't like the new "exteme sports" theme, which says "this is a drink for people under 20 who will be burdens on society for life", but the old theme said "this is a drink for people who have never seen a paved road" wasn't much better.

"Its like that" (Sierra Mist) Another winner from Pepsico. Some guy gets p**sed on by a cat or something and SM is like that. That is a good thing?

"The taste born in the Carolinas" (Pepsi) A regional slogan they plastered all over NC and SC in the 80s, particularly in NASCAR. So? Pepsi was invented in New Bern. So a loyal Carolinan should by NY Pepsi and not Georgia Coke?

DietCokeEnthusiast
05-03-2003, 09:46 AM
I'd kill myself if I was forced to drink Pepsi

[ 05-03-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Clarke1 ]

Android
05-03-2003, 12:23 PM
"Dr Pepper 10-2-4" (Dr Pepper) An oldie, but what does that mean? simple one... some study done 'wayback when' found that peoples' energy levels during the day dropped to their lowest points around 10am,2 and 4pm, (actually, those weren't the exact times, Pepper rounded them for convenience) so Dr Pepper was suggesting you drink their product at those times keep yourself going. Not "that" bad of an idea, if you did it every day, thats almost a case a week.... ;)

andy

Hacksaw
05-03-2003, 08:34 PM
A VERY short lived Diet Coke TV ad had a reminiscing of Sexy vs. Normal (Womans?) underwear :rolleyes: