PDA

View Full Version : Mnt. Dew Livewire

Willbev
05-05-2003, 08:56 AM
I hear it is coming to my area this week. seems like they are rushing things up.

SplitLevelP
05-05-2003, 11:35 AM
Just got my first 2 liter of LiveWire very nice taste 4 out of 5. :D

SURGE
05-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Yeh it was originaly supposed to launch memrial day as i recal. Anyways I just tastes like middle of the line orange soda to me. Nothing special at all. Not bad not good. I won't buy it again.

Shatter
05-05-2003, 07:30 PM
2-liters? Already? I just assumed it would be the 20 oz. bottles they'd put out first.

Terry K
05-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by SURGE:
Yeh it was originaly supposed to launch memrial day as i recal. Anyways I just tastes like middle of the line orange soda to me. Nothing special at all. Not bad not good. I won't buy it again.That's my take on it. It tastes like MM Valencia with caffeine and carbonation. Its like they took Slice and caffeinated it.

I can see why DPSU doesn't want Sunkist bottlers running it.

teamtitan512
05-05-2003, 08:01 PM
MM Valencia is carbonated BTW.

teamtitan512
05-05-2003, 08:03 PM
I wonder what exactly will happen in that interesting territory in VA where Mountain Dew is a DPSU product. I wonder if LiveWire and Sunkist will come together. This should be interesting to see.

teamtitan512
05-05-2003, 08:03 PM
I wonder what exactly will happen in that interesting territory in VA where Mountain Dew is a DPSU product. I wonder if LiveWire and Sunkist will come together. This should be interesting to see.

drpep
05-06-2003, 09:47 PM
Just tried a bottle. Tastes like orange Mtn Dew.

fusion
05-06-2003, 11:06 PM
PBG in Wilmington, Delaware also released Livewire this week.

Chefdavis
05-07-2003, 01:51 AM
Live Wire is in LA.

I REALLY like both Orange Soda and Mountain Dew, but.....Live Wire is TERRIBLE.

One Star out of Five
really disappointed.

chrisok
05-07-2003, 10:13 PM
I have to agree with the Chef. Livewire wasn't good at all.

Boris
05-08-2003, 06:20 AM
Orange Alka seltzer...Thats all it is...

bigrich
05-08-2003, 04:47 PM
I was in two different Pepsi areas in Indiana today. Pepsi Americas and Wis-Pak both introduced Livewire today. I have one chilling, but have not tried it. Both bottlers had 2L & 20OZ.

DietCokeEnthusiast
05-08-2003, 05:34 PM
.5out of5

I went soda hunting...found it and was royally ripped off.
I payed 1.50 for a single bottle, after finding it in the far back row of the pepsi cooler. I turn around, see a small coke one in front with TSR for .50!
After the 1.50 money exchange was done, i opened the bottle, took a sip, spat the spit out. The stoof is terrible.

[ 05-08-2003, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Clarke1 ]

5Hole
05-08-2003, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clarke1:
.5out of5

I went soda hunting...found it and was royally ripped off.
I payed 1.50 for a single bottle, after finding it in the far back row of the pepsi cooler. I turn around, see a small coke one in front with TSR for .50!
After the 1.50 money exchange was done, i opened the bottle, took a sip, spat the spit out. The stoof is terrible.[/

I thought you tried it last week?

Shatter
05-09-2003, 10:55 PM
My store's Pepsi sales rep gave me one yesterday. I have to say, it's not that bad. It has a strong orange flavor at first, then the Mountain Dew flavor kicks in. It is, if nothing, the most drinkable Mountain Dew flavor that's come out so far.

pepsiguy
05-10-2003, 09:02 AM
what's up guys? I fell asleep early last night, and when I went to open my fridge this morning, I see 2 20oz bottles of Mtn. Dew Livewire (my roommate must have gone out last nite food shopping). Do I DARE try it?????? LOL

T.I.A.
05-10-2003, 10:44 PM
I tried Livewire yesterday (Kroger, Rio Hill Shopping Ctr, Charlottesville, VA).

I'm not a big Mountain Dew fan, though I do enjoy a MD on occasion, when other options are limited. I did not like Code Red much and I like Livewire even less.

I do know exactly where the taste comes from though. As a kid I had popsicles that came in liquid form in clear plastic packaging, about 12 inches long, I guess. Livewire, to me, tastes almost exactly like the orange flavor of these lollipops.

I'd rank Livewire 1.0 out of 5.

karks88
05-11-2003, 10:02 AM
That orange flavor does taste like those popsicles that came in the plastic tube! I tried a Live Wire last night and for the life of me I couldn't remember where I'd tasted that kind of orange before. They were called Fla-vor-ice or something like that.

As for the soda, I actually didn't mind it. Of course I didn't mind Code Red when it first came out and now I can't stand it. It was a bit too sweet but it was WAY easier to drink than Sprite Tropical Remix.

DietCokeEnthusiast
05-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Tropical Sprite Remix

XLS_03
05-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Mountain Dew LiveWire tastes like a regular orange soda in my opinion.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-11-2003, 07:59 PM
sorry for my absence everyone. this stuff was blah.

1/5 at the most. nice lookin bottle though.

drpep
05-13-2003, 10:22 AM
This stuff is doing very well at my store. Pepsi must have done some heavy advertising because I am hearing a lot of customers say "there is that new Mtn Dew we saw on tv".
People I know who have tried are are split about 50-50 on it sucking or tasting good.

SURGE
05-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Well don't hold too much stock in initial sales. Even Blue sold well for a few weeks. Its gonna be an interesting battle this summer between this and Remix. I wonder who will come out on top? I'll give a slight nod to Remix since it is the first extension to a classic brand while Livewire is the 2nd one in 2 years for Dew or 3rd if u count A-Rush.
As for the naming I plan on calling it Sprite Tropical Remix not Tropical Sprite Remix as its listed on the bottle. It just sounds better.

Willbev
05-13-2003, 11:59 AM
It is as good as a house brand, I think Pepsi wants Sunkist out of the system.

BottleBoss
05-13-2003, 01:11 PM
I had this last night. Not too bad. I did not like it at first but it grew on me. Someone else wrote that the Mountain Dew flavor hits you after the Orange flavor. Very true. I will buy more but I don't see it lasting past this summer with some type of extension.

karks88
05-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Whatever the name of the new Sprite is, I wouldn't bother memorizing it because it's not going to be around for very long smile.gif

teamtitan512
05-13-2003, 03:45 PM
I have had Remix. I haven't had Livewire yet, but I'm sure Livewire can't be worse than Remix. Although it's the first extension of Sprite, I think there's less you can do w/a lemon lime than a citrus type drink. Maybe it's just me but I always thought a citrus soda was lemon, lime, and orange already flavored. In a way, the orange flavored Mtn Dew concept confuses me.

I think Pepsi is more or less trying to get something that can sell better than Slice, considering for the most part, Sunkist is a DPSU product (and beforehand a Coke product in this region) and they're thinking Livewire is the answer.

I think one of Pepsi's ultimate intentions is to ditch that DPSU dependence they seem to have. I seriously think Pepsi will make a stupid business move and take something like Mr. Green and try to phase Dr Pepper out of the system. It sounds crazy I know, but in my opinion, it was pretty crazy ditching 7-Up in a lot of territory for Sierra Mist (which happened here). Coke seems to be more on the bottler's decision than corporate's. If Herbco had not been bought by CCE, I guarantee you Sunkist, Squirt, Welch's, and such would have remained under Coke's control.

SamC
05-13-2003, 10:18 PM
MD-LW is just orange soda with cafeine, IMHO.

My local K-Mart had a washtub full of former members of six-packs for 79c each. Always a bad sign when they crack six-packs, which the bottler doesn't want you to do.

Couldn't give the stuff away.

SURGE
05-13-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one Eric. Although I don't like Remix I think it has hit home on its market, Urban Teens. It was a clevely placed release becouse the kids at my school were finally starting to think Sprite was too 90's or whatever and that Sierra Mist was cool and then BAM in comes Sprite and now its hip again and Sierra Mist went from huge in my school to almost nothing overnight. And it helped make regular Sprite "cool" again.I must say I have never seen anything sell in the vending machines that fast. Remix went in less than 20 min and thats like 400 bottles to 1200 person school. But I realize initial sales don't mean much but I do see that alot of those same kids are coming back for more and piling the pure pressure on. I will be willing to be Tropical Remix will last quite awhile. Lets not forget that for alot of brands its not flavor that propells sales. Its the image of the brand itself. This is one of those instances if you ask me. They need to update the Sprite logo now to reflect the new Remix logo.

Shatter
05-14-2003, 12:16 AM
I think that Sprite Tropical Remix will be around for a few years. 7up Cherry has been around for years, and i'm sure it's sales aren't that strong. But you never know. It might be selling now because it's the newest thing. Then something else will come out and it's sales might drop off.

The thing about Mountain Dew Livewire that I think they did wrong is make the color too orange. It automatically puts people in the frame of mind that it's a strictly orange style soda, when the orange in Livewire is more like an addition to an existing flavor, like Vanilla Coke. Code Red looks like Mountain Dew with red food coloring in it. People don't automatically look at it and think 'cherry soda', because it still has that murky Mountain Dew look. If Livewire weren't so brightly colored orange, people would just think it's Mountain Dew with a little orange flavor. It seems like Pepsi doesn't think about the psychological side of their drink's coloring. Best example: Crystal Pepsi. Most average consumers were just too stupid to comprehend a cola without coloring. They don't know anything about the soda industry. When drinks like Coke came out, they were dark brown because that's what their ingredients made it look like. But over 100 years later, the refinement process has made the flavorings used in a lot of soft drinks clear. The caramel food coloring is put in to make it look like it's always looked. New drinks don't need that kind of coloring nowadays. But people couldn't wrap their heads around a cola that was clear, like Crystal Pepsi. "Lemon-lime drinks are clear, not colas! That's just not right! My simple little mind is confused!" So Pepsi reformulated it into Crystal, a lemon-lime type drink, but it was too little, too late; people just wouldn't accept it. It's the same with Pepsi Blue. Everyone just looks at it and thinks "Windex" or something. They pre-judge it without even taking a sip. They can't taste the drink's real flavor because they've already made up their minds that it's window cleaner. They've decided what type of drink and what flavor it is before opening the bottle, just from the color. That's why Livewire should have had the orange color toned down. To make it look more like Mountain Dew to keep your average moron from thinking it's an orange soda.

[ 05-14-2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Willbev
05-14-2003, 09:08 AM
It is a Orange soda, most Mnt. type drinks contain orange and lemon lime flavoring.

BottleBoss
05-14-2003, 12:16 PM
I want them to bring back 7 up Gold.

Willbev
05-14-2003, 02:05 PM
I agree i like 7up Gold

Draft RC too.

fusion
05-14-2003, 02:10 PM
Actually, Dew contains concentrated orange juice, as does Mello Yello, Kick, and most private label knockoffs.

Chefdavis
05-15-2003, 01:16 AM
For what it's worth. I like Sprite TR better than Live Wire (but I really disliked Live Wire so It is not really that much of an endorsement).

Tim Kelly
05-15-2003, 05:33 PM
What was 7Up Gold?
I drank a 20-ounce bottle of Mountain Dew Livewire, and I must say, I didn't like it. Too much like everything else, and also too much like candy. I've only seen it at one gas station in Brooklyn so far...

SURGE
05-15-2003, 07:31 PM
Shatter- Although I think your theory is fairly sound regarding color I do think its necisary to point out that Pepsi used clear as a gimic, it wasnt just the product of advancements in engineering. There is no diffrence between making a drink dark brown by adding colors or making a drink clear by carefully selecting the ingredients. But your right some consumers never gave it a chance based on color. I liked the stuff mostly. As for Blue I think the flavor of that crap sunk it no the color. Sure maybe the color didn't help but to blame the proformance of a huge-budget mass produced soda on color is a bit of and exageration. I think most people came to the conclusion Blue sucked after tasting it or hearing the reviews which are almost unanimously bad. Still consumers are not always the most open minded people.

Orangeman
05-23-2003, 09:19 AM
This stuff did nothing for me. Yet another tired old orange soda.
If you're gonna drink orange, get a Stewart's Orange and Cream.

BottleBoss
05-23-2003, 10:41 AM
7 Up Gold was a cola type drink 7 Up tried back in the 80's. I drank it as a kid and really liked it. Of course, I wasn't as discerning then as I am now. As for Mountain Dew Livewire: I think it is not too bad. The M.D. flavor kicks in after the Orange which is kind of interesting. I'm not and Orange flavored soda lover though. Fanta from Mexico and Boylans have Orange drinks that I do like.