PDA

View Full Version : Is the end near for Coke Blak?

wonkapete
12-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Two of my local grocery stores have quit carrying it. Any official word on the plug being pulled?

Mr Zabe
12-11-2006, 05:51 PM
It was weird. Last weekend at Woodman's by the large Coca Cola end cap display was a two facing,9 tray high stack of Coke Blac. I do not know if it was older product or if that store has a captive Coke Blac audiance(fresh product).LOL I did do a double take when I saw this display. (The Coke Blac stack was on the way side of the display.)

[ 12-11-2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

wonkapete
12-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Take a pic Zabe! I took a pic of our local grocery with a 15 ft (or more) Sprite tree the other night.. it was quite impressive

shadowlp06
12-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I believe the end is near, at our local Smith's store (Kroger) they had Coke Blak singles on sale for 89 cents a bottle.

rackitup
12-12-2006, 12:54 AM
I like Coffee drinks, I wanted to like Coke Blak, I spit out my first swig, and because I wanted to like it so much I tried another small swig, but no go.

I do like the Godiva, and the Planet Java or whatever the name was wasn't too bad.

[ 12-12-2006, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: rackitup ]

Mr Zabe
12-12-2006, 01:50 AM
rackitup,
I had the same experience. Coke Blac tasted like bitter stale espresso mildly carbonated. I too could not get past the first gulp. YECK

(FYI... I drank a good amount of non sweetened espresso during my colledge years. So I do like strong coffee.)

[ 12-12-2006, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
12-12-2006, 02:02 AM
I have a question... can I find at San Antonio single bottles of Coke Blak or I have to buy the whole 4-pack?

XLS_04
12-12-2006, 02:46 AM
Acording to an insider in Atlanta they mentioned some changes are going to happen.

1.) Coca-Cola zero- is going to be re-released and the logo will change for 2007. (I had mentioned they planned this as far back as June). Starting next year the new graphics will be black with a silver dynamic ribbon. (according to what I read by another member they have been spotted but these were supposed to start in 2007 their local bottler sent them out a few weeks early.)

2.) Coca-Cola Black Cherry Vanilla/Diet Coke Black Cherry Vanilla -will be discontinued in 2007 so stock up if you like it!

3.) Coca-Cola BlaK- will also be discontinued sometime in 2007 as well, some places earlier than others.

The bottom line is Coca-Cola Black Cherry Vanilla and Coca-Cola BlaK sold very poorly, especially in the U.S. market.

popologist
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
there's a simple explanation (or two) for why coke blak, vanilla coke, black cherry vanilla coke, and coke with lime failed.

they all (according to most people) taste bad (artificial).

surely coke could've came up with something that tasted better than coke blak. i can imagine what a coke flavored coffee drink could taste like, and it wasn't coke blak.

same goes for vanilla coke. it just tasted so artificial and chemical-ly. bleh.

also, in the case of coke blak--it simply cost too much. you think they would've learned their lesson with C2. but i guess not.

i'd also add that, after the initial launch, coke all but abandons its new products. they did it with C2, Coke Blak & the list goes on and on.

only coke zero and vault have survived because... they're simply superior products. even so, both could be doing better if coke remembered how to market its own products.

David J.
12-12-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't really think it was cost alone with Coke Blak. I think it was cost, and the size of the package. I'm sure a 20oz plastic bottle would have cost the same, if not cheaper. More for the money and cheaper! I thought Coke Blak was OK, but nothing I'm really going to miss or really care about anymore.

I really doubt it costs that much to make.

fusion
12-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Pricing on Coke Blak has dropped to around $4 a 4 pack, which is somewhat reasonable.

I had predicted it would win awards on the bottle/design, but that it would be discontinued. Guess I was right on both counts. smile.gif

mjb1124
12-12-2006, 06:58 PM
I still see it everywhere around here, but that's probably because nobody's buying it.

SumPoosieCat
12-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Maybe if Coke started making their new products with Real Sugar instead of HFCS they would have more success with their new products... maybe?

JMHX316
12-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Just my experience, I don't think cane sugar is going to make a big difference, especially with younger people (I'm 23) who've grown up on hfcs... I have a steady source of mexicoke available to me, but I prefer the USA stuff.. Same with Pepsi. After hearing so many good things, I was bitterly disappointed...

SumPoosieCat
12-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Before 1980 just about all sodas were made with Real Sugar and not HFCS. I can tell you from experience they tasted MUCH better back then. Orange Crush out of the bottle....yum !

HFCS gives you a thick syrup like taste ... Real Sugar gives you a nice light spark.

SumPoosieCat
12-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Fusion is right Coke Blak looks cool but the taste is just .... bad.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
12-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Again... can I buy it in single bottles at San Antonio or I have to buy the 4 pack?

Mr Zabe
12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
MrR
You probably will be able to find it at a good C-Store or Sonic/7-11 national type C-Store. Check out the end cap check out grocery store coolers for the singles.
Good Luck. smile.gif

[ 12-12-2006, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

iowacity
12-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Blak's problem isn't HFCS, it's Splenda.

Mr Zabe
12-12-2006, 10:59 PM
You are 100% correct. I totally forgot to mention that. I really wanted a sweet sugar(cain or HFCS)boost. The splenda was a big deal breaker. :(

Ram0n C0keah0lic
12-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
MrR
You probably will be able to find it at a good C-Store or Sonic/7-11 national type C-Store. Check out the end cap check out grocery store coolers for the singles.
Good Luck. smile.gif Great! Thanks MrZ.! smile.gif

rackitup
12-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
rackitup,
I had the same experience. Coke Blac tasted like bitter stale espresso mildly carbonated. I too could not get past the first gulp. YECK

(FYI... I drank a good amount of non sweetened espresso during my colledge years. So I do like strong coffee.) I am totally with you Mr. Zabe, no one lets me make the Coffee at my warehouse because they say "it is too strong".

cokepa
12-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Saw some coupons today for Blak. I didn't take time to look at them closely but I think they were buy a 20 0z. Coke and get a Blak free. Guess the stuff won't sell so we'll try giving it away instead.

Dr Thunder86
12-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Good ridderance that stuff was awful!!!!!!! :eek:

upinarms
12-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Coke Blak was just way over priced to begin with. AT first release it was $2.29 a pop at some stores! Thats way too much for such a medicore product.

Honestly, its not as bad as I thought it would be. I did drink it fairly regularly for about a week, but then it got old.

Its just not something most people would consider refreshing.

pepsidew
12-28-2006, 04:24 PM
i thought it was nasty too - i didnt know it had splenda in it - no wonder it sucked - i'll take a mint mocha frap anyday

SURGE
01-12-2007, 12:44 AM
It could have been good. But for so many different reasons it just sucked. Coke botched it worse than MDX's launch.

WMick
01-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Well obviously, opinions vary. Everyone seems to be piling on, so let me say, I LOVED Coke Blak. The intent was to get the flavors of Coke & coffee which, to my taste, the product did. I was initially disappointed to hear that it was (like C2), half Splenda. But when I tried it, I liked it immediately anyway (I'd suppose the exclusion of Splenda would probably have improved it somewhat, but I liked it in spite of my aversion to artificial sweeteners). I expected that many wouldn't like it (though in informal individual "taste-tests" I got a 40% positive reaction). I think Blak was intended to be a "boutique" item - not for everyone in the first place. Someone commented that it was overpriced for "such a mediocre product." Well it's hard to imagine Coke marketing saying, "We shouldn't charge too much. After all, it IS mediocre.") I promise you, Coke did dozens of focus tests on the product and only went forward with it because the results supported a go-ahead. That said, even for one who liked it, $2.29 price for 8oz. was a bit...aggressive. Too few people would be willing to give it a try at that price (I guess I was right.) Did they drop the ball? Yes! As someone earlier said, they gave the product NO ad support. A launch campaign is intended to saturate the media briefly. But Blak's was far too small to raise awareness levels even a blip. And AFTER the launch - NOTHING! I think Blak could have developed a small hardcore following if they'd given it more than a year. Who knows better than Coke how competitive the beverage market is and the value of ad support? Yet they release this little 8oz., black bottle with a dramatic, but not eye-catching design, and left it alone to die a feeble death. In my view, the product was all it was designed to be, but Coke failed (miserably) to support it. Attention Coke marketing: When you manage to create a worthwhile and unique product (a relatively rare event in your industry), you can't throw it into the deep-end, yell, "SWIM!", and cross your fingers. Cheers to the Blak developers! Jeers to Coke marketing.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
01-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I like Coke Blak too, I had the chance to try it and the taste is really good... unfortunately I only saw it on sale at very few C-Stores...

David J.
01-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I looooooooooooooooooove regular coffe with lots of milk and sugar.

I should mix it with coke sometime. tongue.gif