PDA

View Full Version : why no "variety packs" for coke/pepsi?

popologist
01-06-2006, 01:42 PM
why don't coke and pepsi sell a fridge pack with a mix of product?

there could be a "cola pack" with 4 cans of Classic, 2 cans of Cherry Coke, 2 cans of Black Cherry Vanilla Coke, 2 cans of C2, and 2 cans of caffeine-free coke (or coke with lime).

they could also have "diet packs" or "caffeine-free packs"... etc.

this would be a way to get people to try new products without having to buy a whole 2-liter, or 12-pack of the same thing.

also, because not everyone in the family likes the same soda. dad might like classic, mom drinks caffeine-free, sister drinks diet, and brother drinks cherry coke.

it just seems so obvious to me.

what do you think?

Mr Zabe
01-06-2006, 01:48 PM
One major reason. Retooling the soda pop lines(most soda pop production is run on a single line) and or having added labor to hand sort cans is expensive and not realistically feasible.

[ 01-06-2006, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
01-06-2006, 02:01 PM
can't they just hire some immigrant workers to do it? or buy one of those cool robots from japan?

c'mon. it can't be THAT hard to sort a few million cans. smile.gif

[ 01-06-2006, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

wonkapete
01-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Yea, the chip companies have been doing that for years. Can't be that difficult.

popologist
01-06-2006, 05:38 PM
i think it'd be a good way to get people to try new products. also, it would help sell 12-packs, which have a higher profit margin than 2-liters.

the saint
01-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
i think it'd be a good way to get people to try new products. also, it would help sell 12-packs, which have a higher profit margin than 2-liters. How do you figure this?? Cans have the lowest margin of any package. If coke and Pepsi had their way there wouldn't even be any cans anymore, it would all be plastic. Also if you want 2 cans of this and 2 cans of that...this is the reason for several things like 1) shasta, faygo, store brands singlke can soda and 2) vending machines.
You must live in an area where evidently 2 liters must be 5 or 6 bucks a piece because you don't want to spend the money for a "whole 2 liter"
zabe said it also, the cost would be enormous. It would make your variety pack like 10 bucks or more due to having to pay the "immigrant workers" (as you said)to sort cans. Their pay has to come from somewhere, why not from the fools who want the variety pack in the first place.

[ 01-06-2006, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]

fusion
01-06-2006, 10:38 PM
You'd have to build up inventory of each individual flavor, and store them somewhere, taking the production line down between each flavor to clean it and restock it with the new cans. Then, you'd have to put all the cans back on the line to be packaged.

Sounds like too much work.

Nick Laugher
01-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't know though, Big 8 , a soda pop company here, does Variety Packs...cola,lemon lime, cream soda and root beer.

fusion
01-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Are they a big company? or just a small bottler? If they are doing much smaller runs, I'd guess it would be easier.

I know that Snapple has variety packs around here.. and you can find other variety stuff in club stores, like Sam's and BJ's.

popologist
01-07-2006, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Nick Laugher:
I don't know though, Big 8 , a soda pop company here, does Variety Packs...cola,lemon lime, cream soda and root beer. exactly. it can't be THAT hard. :rolleyes: it's not like i'm suggesting they build the pyramids out of soda cans! smile.gif

[ 01-07-2006, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

popologist
01-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by the saint:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by popologist:
i think it'd be a good way to get people to try new products. also, it would help sell 12-packs, which have a higher profit margin than 2-liters. How do you figure this?? Cans have the lowest margin of any package. If coke and Pepsi had their way there wouldn't even be any cans anymore, it would all be plastic. Also if you want 2 cans of this and 2 cans of that...this is the reason for several things like 1) shasta, faygo, store brands singlke can soda and 2) vending machines.
You must live in an area where evidently 2 liters must be 5 or 6 bucks a piece because you don't want to spend the money for a "whole 2 liter"
zabe said it also, the cost would be enormous. It would make your variety pack like 10 bucks or more due to having to pay the "immigrant workers" (as you said)to sort cans. Their pay has to come from somewhere, why not from the fools who want the variety pack in the first place. </font>[/QUOTE]i don't want to drink faygo or shasta. i want to drink coke products.

as for not wanting to buy "a whole 2-liter"... well, i'm single and live alone, so don't drink a whole 2-liter very fast, and i like my soda "fresh," so i prefer cans. but sometimes i want a coke zero, and sometimes a C2, and sometimes a regular coke. but i don't like to fill up all my refrigerator space with fridge packs!!!

that's why the variety pack would work for me. smile.gif

ps--the remark about "immigrant workers" and "robots" was a joke! :rolleyes:

Mr Nethead
01-07-2006, 07:45 AM
I suppose Pepsi/Coke has some rule against it, but it seems like stores could create their own variety packs. Just take a few different flavours and shrink wrap them together or something. tongue.gif

popologist
01-07-2006, 08:15 AM
i'm sure coke/pepsi have considered it before. perhaps they feel they'd sell less product if they gave people more of a choice. :(

boodoo
01-07-2006, 12:58 PM
You folks are thinking like consumers and not retailers/distributors! The whole idea is to get you to buy more not less. You are supposed to buy multiple 12 packs to get variety! That is what keeps the ecomomy going. Strength through capitalism. Now go do your patriotic duty and spend some money.

[ 01-07-2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: boodoo ]

mjb1124
01-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Actually, I remember reading that Pepsi was indeed considering such a thing.

popologist
01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
see! so it's not so far-fetched after all!

Originally posted by mikibacsi1124:
Actually, I remember reading that Pepsi was indeed considering such a thing.

Nick Laugher
01-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Are they a big company? or just a small bottler? If they are doing much smaller runs, I'd guess it would be easier.

I know that Snapple has variety packs around here.. and you can find other variety stuff in club stores, like Sam's and BJ's. they're a nationwide company, owned by a national chain of grocery stores, they have quite a large distribution.

ScottyLibido
01-07-2006, 11:10 PM
In Canada, Coke has a multi-pack 24 that just takes 4 shrink wrapped 6 packs and carboards them and shrink wraps the whole thing. It is pretty neat. We also have about 3 or 4 other multis including Crush and Diet Crush.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-07-2006, 11:14 PM
those are generally produced by third party companies. it's not impossible to produce multipacks, but there's a reason why coke or pepsi don't want to bother with them right now: cost, feasibility, breakage (hand packaged products aren't as good as machine packaged) and sales.

sooner or later you might see it happen, but since soda is a commoditized food product, from the attitude of the big three, there doesn't need to be this specialty pack to derive demand like this.

popologist
01-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by ScottyLibido:
In Canada, Coke has a multi-pack 24 that just takes 4 shrink wrapped 6 packs and carboards them and shrink wraps the whole thing. It is pretty neat. We also have about 3 or 4 other multis including Crush and Diet Crush. well, if canada can do it, why can't we in the USA?!? :confused:

;)

Mr Zabe
01-08-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure this is the actual reason why Canada has multi 6pk cases but I will offer my guess.

I have a close friend who lives in Ontario Canada. She explained to me how all goods and services have a rather high use tax due to the Canadian form of government. She said that on average a case of Coke or Pepsi costs from $9 to $11. I do not know what a 6pk costs. My guess is that the best value for consumers is the case and mutli packs might have a higher demand. So the added labor to organize and shrink rap 6pks into cases could make good business sense.

Just my guess. smile.gif

[ 01-08-2006, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ScottyLibido
01-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I will try to get pictures of the various 24 multis. I think someone misunderstood what I said about the Coke multi. They make 4 different flavoured 6 packs (Vanilla Coke, Orange, Mello Yello, one other) and then take the 4 6-packs, put them in a 24-flat-cardboard and then the whole 24 gets a wrapping. Understand?

Mr Nethead
01-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Mr Zabe, are those Canadian dollars you're referring to? I guess $9 in Canadian is about $7.73 in USD. That's still quite a lot. :eek:

Mr Zabe
01-08-2006, 11:19 AM
I recall my friend way quoting me in Canadian dollars. She said if the cases are NOT on sale they cost around $13. I nearly fell off my chair when she told me that. She thinks for $5 a case on sale or $7 not on sale, I must be living like a king. LOL I guess I am. LOL

[ 01-08-2006, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

boodoo
01-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Far fetched indeed! Spend some money and quit being so cheap. It's a couple of 12 packs for crying out loud.

[ 01-09-2006, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: boodoo ]

Mr Zabe
01-09-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree with you.

In general, each week or so, I will either "try" something new or switch hit on my A list. If I try at least by my parts, I can find all kinds of soda pops. I stay on budget by shopping the stuff that's on sale. It's not all that expensive to keep some variety in my fridge. smile.gif