PDA

View Full Version : Mello Yello?

redchucks219
01-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Ever since Vault has become popular in my town Ive noticed an extreme lack of Mello Yello. The grocery store doesn't even carry it anymore, and about the only place I see it is in the vending machines at school (which at one point were stocked with Vault). Is this a sign of things to come? I know Coke said Mello Yello wasn't going anywhere, but now I'm skeptical.

[ 01-06-2006, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: redchucks219 ]

Softdrinker
01-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Never heard of Vault. What is it?

We still have Mello Yello around here. I like it much better than Mountain Dew.

[ 01-07-2006, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Softdrinker ]

raresoda20
01-08-2006, 02:41 PM
u remember surge thats vault now.

popologist
01-09-2006, 08:12 AM
i think vault is a different formula from surge.

but, basically, mello yello, surge, and vault are/were intended to compete with mountain dew.

coke seems to be more optimistic about vault.

Hollow Man
01-09-2006, 03:22 PM
VAULT has some different preservatives, coloring, and more caffeine than SURGE, but otherwise it's pretty much the same, straight down to the order of ingredients.

-HM

pepsidew
01-09-2006, 06:47 PM
so it will tank like surge :D

DJ HawaiianShirt
01-09-2006, 07:50 PM
People swear that Mello Yello won't go just because Vault is around, but I have a very hard time believing them.

SEV smile.gif

pepsidew
01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
mello yello is a really old name - i'd think they will keep it around for a few years until they know vault will continue to grow - which it won't because you know mountain dew has crack in it

Mello Yello Luver
01-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Mello Yello has never really sold well in Michigan. So Expect to see a lot of Vault in the next couple of years. Mello Yello really only sells well in the southeast.

redchucks219
01-10-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't think Coke should let a new product eclipse a strong, well known product like Mello Yello. I think it'd be sad to see it go. It's been around my whole life.

karks88
01-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Mello Yello may end up getting pulled from some markets, but I doubt it will ever completely disappear. I imagine there are some places on the net who sell it as well.

iluvsurge220
01-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I see people in Kentucky drink Mello-Yello almost as much as I see them drinking Ale-8 and for those of you who know how popular ale-8 is, then you are as surprized as I am. I mean when I was in high school it seemed like every day every other person was carrying around a Mello Yello with them. Its some great stuff. I dont think it will go away, at least not in the southeast even if Vault does well because it is so popular.

fusion
01-18-2006, 04:16 PM
When I drove through Kentucky and Tennesee, I could not believe how much Mello Yello I saw. It was in every cooler (along with Pibb in most areas).

ramonazo
01-18-2006, 04:32 PM
I tried it, so demn good!

Mr Zabe
01-22-2006, 11:20 AM
My local grocery store (Jewel) now stocks or has been stocking?? Mellow Yellow and MrPibb. I picked up a 12pk of Mellow Yellow. Gee it has been a long time since I have come across it.

It's a good drink for sure,I still prefer Mountain Dew. smile.gif

[ 01-22-2006, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Zabe
01-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Ok to be fair, I just drank an ice cold can of Mellow Yellow. The first can I drank this morning was warm poured over ice.

The ice cold can was very impressive. The taste was just about that of it's rival Mountain Dew. The carbonation and after burp were enjoyable.

I would for sure would buy another fridge pack and as well add Mellow Yellow to my A list.

[ 01-22-2006, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mello Yello Luver
01-23-2006, 02:11 AM
I've drank at least 1 Mello Yello every day this month. :cool:

[ 01-23-2006, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Mello Yello Luver ]

iluvsurge220
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Mello Yello is the best, but I hate the people who put the letter "w" at the end of Mello and Yello. LOL!!! It's just one of those pet peaves of mine.

Mr Zabe
01-25-2006, 07:40 PM
LOL
It's just my over sight. No harm meant.
Or as Cher said in Moonstruck "Snap out of it".LOL ;)

fishbulb
02-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Mello Yello isn't going anywhere. Corporate Coke told me that it is being phased out in some locations but production will never stop.

Which is good.. although it will be hard for me to find.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
02-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
My local grocery store (Jewel) now stocks or has been stocking?? Mellow Yellow and MrPibb. I picked up a 12pk of Mellow Yellow. Gee it has been a long time since I have come across it.

It's a good drink for sure,I still prefer Mountain Dew. smile.gif mr pibb? or do ya mean pibb xtra

Mr Zabe
02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Pibb Xtra :D

craz22
02-03-2006, 04:34 PM
I live in Dew Country...but I Prefer Mello Yello every day of the week over Mt.Dew. In order to buy Mello Yello you need to know where it is sold and it not many places carry it...and Diet Mello Yello is no where to be found.

It is funny, most people I know who live here in KS have never tasted Mello Yello and when they do, they are pleasently surprised. Dew has such a strong hold, it is the norm and thats what people tend to drink...not knowing there is something different and better tasting (my opinion). I hope Vault does take away from Dew but doesn't hurt Mello Yello's survival.

xJABBERWOCKx
02-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Since Subway switched to Coke, I see Mello Yello in the fountains there :mad:

Now Pibb...Pibb is something I haven't seen in quite some time...

[ 02-03-2006, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: xJABBERWOCKx ]

mjb1124
02-06-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't think Mello Yello is anywhere near as good as Mountain Dew. I think it's seriously lacking in the flavor department, and it has an unpleasant aftertaste.

the saint
02-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by craz22:
I live in Dew Country...but I Prefer Mello Yello every day of the week over Mt.Dew. In order to buy Mello Yello you need to know where it is sold and it not many places carry it...and Diet Mello Yello is no where to be found.

It is funny, most people I know who live here in KS have never tasted Mello Yello and when they do, they are pleasently surprised. Dew has such a strong hold, it is the norm and thats what people tend to drink...not knowing there is something different and better tasting (my opinion). I hope Vault does take away from Dew but doesn't hurt Mello Yello's survival. I hate to tell you this but if Vault takes just 5 % away from Dew it will be a $100,000,000 a year drink. If that does happen then Mello Yello will be killed off and it will be a swift move like the vanilla coke was.

craz22
02-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by the saint:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by craz22:

It is funny, most people I know who live here in KS have never tasted Mello Yello and when they do, they are pleasently surprised. Dew has such a strong hold, it is the norm and thats what people tend to drink...not knowing there is something different and better tasting (my opinion). I hope Vault does take away from Dew but doesn't hurt Mello Yello's survival. I hate to tell you this but if Vault takes just 5 % away from Dew it will be a $100,000,000 a year drink. If that does happen then Mello Yello will be killed off and it will be a swift move like the vanilla coke was. </font>[/QUOTE]

craz22
02-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by the saint:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by craz22:

It is funny, most people I know who live here in KS have never tasted Mello Yello and when they do, they are pleasently surprised. Dew has such a strong hold, it is the norm and thats what people tend to drink...not knowing there is something different and better tasting (my opinion). I hope Vault does take away from Dew but doesn't hurt Mello Yello's survival. I hate to tell you this but if Vault takes just 5 % away from Dew it will be a $100,000,000 a year drink. If that does happen then Mello Yello will be killed off and it will be a swift move like the vanilla coke was. </font>[/QUOTE]I have no doubt you know what your talking about...All I would like to see is a broader choice of soda flavors offerred by both Coke and Pepsi. Give the consumer a choice. Instead of offering 9 rows of a certain soda (i.e.Mt.Dew or Vault) and shoving it down the consumers throat and zero of another. Let the consumer have an opportunity to try Vault or Mello Yello or Dew or any other Coke or Pespi product which is not condusive to their region. It stinks knowing after I leave the South East on vacation that certain sodas will be dead to me because they are not offered in KS...my Brother-in-Law wonders why he can't get Diet Code Red in North Carolina. It seems it should be not be that hard. I know it all revolves around SALES.

Mello Yello Luver
02-07-2006, 10:12 AM
I hope the flavor extensions come back some day. Like Melon, Cherry, and Afterglow. They were really good.

fusion
02-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Broader choice? Are you serious? Never before have their been so many choices. I've been in the business for almost ten years - and the past few years have been insane with the new launches.

The only new things I remember from the first few years I worked were Dasani, Citra and Surge.

Dasani being the biggest of the three. The other big thing was when we switched from A&W to Barq's.

Oh, and when we went from 20oz 6pks to 16.9oz 6pks.

In the past 4-5 years, we've seen all sorts of flavor extensions, energy drinks, flavored waters, fridge packs, etc, etc.

fusion
02-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Diet Code Red has two strikes against it.

First, it's a line extension. Second, it's a diet soda.

Very small audience.

golee1
02-07-2006, 10:23 PM
My SCM loves to talk about the good old days, 20 years or so ago, when there was a new product launched every year or so.

Now it seems like it's every week.

craz22
02-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I agree with the fact that there are many flavors offered in a wide variety of soda choices. In my opinion too many...the soda companies have diluted their own market and now it seems they are always trying to come up with the next new flavor. Is it really that cost effective to keep shooting in the dark with the creation of "New Coke" or "Pepsi Blue" and every other crazy idea ie. "Coffee flavored soda"? In order to see if they can appeal to a small market of people, run the soda for 2 yrs only to cancel it and disappoint the small audience it may have?

craz22
02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Broader choice? Are you serious? Never before have their been so many choices. I've been in the business for almost ten years - and the past few years have been insane with the new launches.

The only new things I remember from the first few years I worked were Dasani, Citra and Surge.

Dasani being the biggest of the three. The other big thing was when we switched from A&W to Barq's.

Oh, and when we went from 20oz 6pks to 16.9oz 6pks.

In the past 4-5 years, we've seen all sorts of flavor extensions, energy drinks, flavored waters, fridge packs, etc, etc. I guess saying a "broader choice" was incorrect on my part...I guess what I should have said is I would like to see some sort of standard in flavors choices offered nationally. Not being able to drink your favorite soda or able to try a new flavor being offerd because you live in the wrong part of the country seems like a lack of effort in distribution.

the saint
02-08-2006, 01:13 PM
In regards to what fusion said, at Pepsi ( this was brought up in a meeting a coupla weeks ago) from 1985 to 1995 there were 93 new SKUs introduced at Pepsi. from 1995 til now there have been over 500. Now not all of these would be new flavors but would include different size packaging etc.

fusion
02-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Some things just do better in some parts of the country than in others.

What would be the point in mass producing caffeine free diet code red with splenda (a joke, of course) if only two people in the whole town are going to drink it?

I have worked in areas where Diet Coke/CF Diet Coke outsold Coke. And in areas where Orange, Grape, Ginger Ale were given more space than what was called for in the planograms. And when I was in North Carolina, I went into stores that had like eight feet sections of just Sundrop. It's based on the local market. Of course, there are blunders, but generally the sales staff is pretty aware of what sells and what doesn't sell in their stores.

Heck, I just remembered that I had a store where we had to keep an aisle stack of Tab 6pks in the store at all times, because it was that popular in that town.

MISTICman
02-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey craz22,
Where in NC does your bro-in-law live? We sell Diet Code Red in my store in Greensboro, but only in 2L. Our Pepsi distributor goes as far north as the VA/NC border, as far east as the Guilford/Alamance county line. I don't know how far west and south they go.

fusion
02-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Pepsi Bottling Ventures controls most of the central part of North Carolina.

But keep in mind that they most likely don't sell the same product mix in all their areas.

One of the first things they did when they bought the independent bottler in Salisbury MD was to drop a lot of the non-Pepsi brands (which were picked up by Honickman Canada Dry), with the notable exceptions of Dr Pepper and Schweppes.

They used to have Country Time, 7Up, and Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer. Possibly also Sunkist and Welch's - I'm not 100% sure there.

Cheer-wined
02-09-2006, 09:31 PM
PBV covers the northwestern part of NC also, up to the TN state line. They have to sell a lot of Pepsi to make up for the loss of DP & MD, though. Coke has Sundrop and MY (no Vault yet) and MD (including diet code red) is with the Dr Pepper bottler. I think it would be a hoot if PBV developed a mountain dew clone just for this market.

Statesville, Mooresville, Salisbury NC are also PBV cities. PBG has the Charlotte metro and Pepsi Teeter goes west from Hickory. PBV in NC has been quick to drop outside brands over the past few years for Pepsi brands like Sierra Mist and Twisters.

That's just the opposite of what I saw in eastern KY a couple of months ago. The Pepsi bottler from Norton VA has territory around Whitesburg where they carry no Pepsi products at all - they have DP, 7Up, Sunkist, Squirt and other Cadbury stuff. Pepsi brands are with PBG.

someguytyping
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I am noticing mello yello not showing up in my accounts, but that could be because the local bottler hasn't sent any to the distribution warehouse. and the warehouse has run out.

David J.
04-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Mello Yello was gone for a while, then it came back, and now it is gone.

Really, Coke is (was) sending really mixed messages to the masses. "Hey, it's Mello Yello, oh wait, it's now Surge, now it's Mello Yello again, oh crap now it's Vault!" Also, advertising and distributing it was lackluster (wait they advertised?!). Coke needs to realize that Mountain Dew is a major seller for Pepsi, and every place that has Pepsi serves Mountain Dew and it is a BIG seller.

None of the resturants in my area serve Mello Yello in the fountains because Dr. Pepper replaced Mello Yello in many markets. I just ask: Why? Where I work fifteen people a day ask if we have mountain dew. Burger King doesn't (I work their sadly) and neither does McDonalds serve Mello Yello. But my Wendy's still serves Pepsi -- go figure.

Coke needs to stick with one citrus soda, and make all places that serve coke, serve one of these drinks. That and advertise it.

[ 04-07-2006, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: David J, ]

Stackups Immy
04-09-2006, 09:29 AM
i would kill to be able to find Mello Yello without having to go hours upstate or have it sent to me from family members down south...i love the stuff, and like mt. dew Livewire, or Grape Tropicana twister, i dont have access to it =[

[ 04-09-2006, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Stackups Immy ]

Mana211
04-10-2006, 12:16 PM
If you like Mello Yello call the 3 closest bottlers and let them know.

When I moved to the midwest for a couple of years I did it (of course I hauled many a 12 pack from Tennesse to Iowa before they started stocking it locally). The nice thing is it worked. Bottlers will accept input from the consumer.

I'm back in TN now and don't miss the 13 hour drive each way to get stuff...

David J.
04-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Someone told me where I might find Mello Yello, and check your local Subway. Mine has it in it's fountains and in 20oz bottles. Even tho you can't buy it in the stores here, you can still find it.

Now why Burger King and McDonalds don't serve it is beyond me. Why not? I find this whole Dr. Pepper replacing Mello Yello bogus.

imawalkingcorpse
05-28-2006, 12:01 AM
There is one place here in KC that has Mello Yello in it's fountain. A buffet place called Ryans and I know when I am in Florida a few of the Subways have it in on the fountain down there.

David J.
05-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Well, Mello Yello has vanshed from my area, I don't think the Subway fountains or coolers have them anymore, and A couple weeks ago my mom bought a fridgepack with an exp. date of December, so I am wondering what is going on?! When I was at that grocery store, they had around four fridge packs out, so I am curious.

A shame Mello Yello is just about, if not gone in my area. It is a refreshing drink. But I'm not biased, so I can still enjoy Mt. Dew and Vault. smile.gif

bigrich
05-28-2006, 03:03 PM
There is still plenty in Indianapolis. 2L, 20oz, 1L, and Fridgepacks. The Fridgepacks are still fresh with an outdate of Feb. 07.

[ 05-28-2006, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

SURGE
05-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by David J,:
Well, Mello Yello has vanshed from my area, I don't think the Subway fountains or coolers have them anymore, and A couple weeks ago my mom bought a fridgepack with an exp. date of December, so I am wondering what is going on?! When I was at that grocery store, they had around four fridge packs out, so I am curious.Not sure if you get product from CCE NY in your area but I have heard they dropped MY May 1st in all sizes.

David J.
05-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Yes they bottle my area.

Ah well, if they sell it in Winona, then I'll pick some up.

fusion
05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
"Big can" 12 packs of Mello Yello have been spotted in southern VA. In Maryland, we still have the old wraps, December 18th.

royrogerswb
05-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Where in Maryland do you still have MY? I was in Pennsylvania this weekend looking for MY and only found 3 12 packs left (dated 122606). I had to drive to Morgantown, WV before I found Mello Yello in 12 packs at a Kroger. Even there it seemed as if MY was being toned down. Does anyone know how Mello Yello is doing in other areas?

fusion
06-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I work in eastern Maryland for CCE. Just over the DE/MD state line. There are stores all up and down US 40 (which parallels I-95) that carry Mello Yello. But it's been cut out of our shelf sets, and usually it's just on displays.

Morgantown is CCBCC. I am surprised they still have Mello Yello up there.

cokepa
06-01-2006, 07:28 PM
We have 20 oz Mello Yello here in the Harrisburg, PA territory, but that is the only package we have been carrying for a few years now. If you want 12 packs, come to Lancaster County. I have seen 12 packs in Lewistown, PA as well, which comes all the way from the sales center in Ebensburg, PA. Wouldn't be surprised if you'd see Mello in State College, Altoona areas as well, since they come from that warehouse too. I haven't seen any of the "big can" graphics yet.

craz22
06-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Mello Yello is stil here in the Lawrence KS area. 20 oz and 12 packs

royrogerswb
06-03-2006, 09:42 PM
I was in Lancaster County...I checked out most supermarkets and wal-mart in Lancaster and surrounding areas and only saw a few with 20 oz bottles of Mello Yello...everywhere else only had Vault.

fusion
06-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Should have went to the Brewers Outlet there next to the Super WM. Interesting place.

cokepa
06-05-2006, 08:50 PM
OK, I went to Redner's Mkt., Elizabethtown, Lancaster County where they have usually had Mello 12 packs, but none to be found today. I used to buy it there but now buy Vault. York County used to carry Mello too but now that they are CCE and not Central Coca-Cola, I don't know if they still have it or not. I haven't shopped there in awhile.

METAL HOUSTON
06-07-2006, 07:28 AM
I love Mello Yello and have since the 70s!
As I kid, I used to run around screaming "Yahoo Mountain Dew" until I saw an ad on TV about "The Worlds Fastest Soft Drink". I tried some and Mello Yello has been my favorite ever since. I tried Surge but didn't care for it at all - I would rather drink a Dr Pepper (which I can't stand), I've tried Vault and though I like it better than I did Surge, Mountain Dew is better...C'mon Coke, Mello Yello is best!
Unfortunately for me, they quit selling Mello Yello here in Houston, Texas but when I go to visit my family in Mississippi, I buy five 0r six 12 or 24 packs to bring home. When I run out, I just say "it's time to visit my family again".
I have discovered two places here where I can find Mello Yello and they are Chuck E Cheese's Pizza and Cracker Barrel. I had known about Chuck E Cheese's for a few years but just a few weeks ago when I went out with some family here in Houston, I (for fun) said "Mello Yello" when the waitress asked what we wanted to drink and to my surprise, she brought me a glass of it. I then asked why it wasn't on the menu and I was told that they just got it a couple of weeks ago and haven't updated the menu yet.
In the 70s and early 80s, Mello Yello was sold here in Houston and suddenly they stopped selling it. They started again in 89/90 and suddenly quit again and then they sold it again in 2000 and stopped again. In 89/90, I saw NO advertising for Mello Yello in Houston but saw a few ads in the news paper in 2000. Yet every time I mention Mello yello to anyone here (anyone who knows what it is), they say they didn't even know it was made anymore and thought it died in the 70s.
I think if Coke would do a "retro" thing and re-use some of the 70s TV ads, when trying to sell it in areas like Houston, where it hasn't been heard of for years, it might sell better.
So until then, the 3 places to drink Mello Yello in Houston are Chuck E Cheese's, Cracker Barrel and my house. lol
"IT'S THE WORLDS FASTEST SOFT DRINK AND HERE IT COMES....."

iluvsurge220
06-10-2006, 09:39 AM
I rarely see MY advertised but they still sell Diet MY and regular around here quite a bit. There is as much MY as there is Vault in a lot of places.

fusion
06-10-2006, 07:08 PM
"big can" 12 pack Mello Yello has made its' way to Maryland, which means to me that the brand will be kept around, at least in 12 packs (we dumped 2 liters about 4 years ago). Not sure of the status of 20oz, though.

Mr Zabe
06-10-2006, 08:28 PM
MY is still available in the north suburbs of Chicago. I saw two facings of fridge packs this morning at my local grocery store. I also saw two facings of TAB fridge packs smack dab in the middle shelf. Like I said Chicago has a very healthy soda pop market.

fusion
06-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Is the TaB still the old style fridgepack?
Or the new big can graphics?

Mr Zabe
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I beleive it was the old style,mostly pink with black print??? For sure it was not the new "cans" fridge pack.

bselig
06-11-2006, 04:26 PM
I've seen Mello Yello in the Pacific Northwest, but only on fountain at a Regal Cinemas movie theater.

Sweet tasting, but not much bite. Maybe I'm just not enough of a Mountain Dew fan. Or is it supposed to be more like Fresca?

METAL HOUSTON
06-11-2006, 07:37 PM
I think it's more like Dew then Fresca but better, Fountin drinks to me NEVER taste the same as from the bottle. Anyway, to me Mello Yello has more flavor than Dew - more....I don't know how to say it - just better.
My wife HATES Mountian Dew but will drink Mello Yello sometimes.

SURGE
06-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
I beleive it was the old style,mostly pink with black print??? For sure it was not the new "cans" fridge pack. Viking Coke here has recently released TaB in the new big-can fridgepacks. They look fantastic with the simple logo and color scheme. Too bad the product is rubbish. ;)