PDA

View Full Version : Refillables in PEI, Canada

No Soda
05-10-2003, 01:57 PM
This is to RunWithDaLilGuy and all other refillable fans..

All carbonated soft drinks in the Candian province of Prince Edward Island must be sold in refillable bottles. Here's what I found during a visit last summer:

Coke:
750ml: Classic and Diet in the Contour Bottle (Nice ACL)
750ml Paper Label: C/F Diet Coke, Sprite, Barq's, Fresca
355ml Classic and Diet Contour (ACL)
355ml Sprite/Diet in the "dimple" bottle (almost made a fan out of me.)
355-ml Paper Label: Vanilla Coke, Barq's (including red creammmmm!) Mello Yello, Fresca, C-Plus (Canada's version of Sunkist).

Pepsi:
750-ml swirl bottle (Pepsi only)
750-ml Paper Label: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mtn Dew (both original and Code Red) Mug, Canada Dry mixers, Seaman's Flavors, 7-up
355ml Paper Label Longneck bottle--pretty much the same as the 750 ml
355ml ACL 7-up
300ml Paper Label: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Seaman's Flavors, 7-Up
300ml Pepsi Swirl Bottles: Pepsi only-a nice surprise. These bottles were about 20 years old and looked it.
1.5L: diet Pepsi,7-Up, Seaman's Flavors (Did not find Pepsi, sign in one store said no longer available due to lack of bottles.) These bottles are plastic coated, as they had a nasty habit of exploding if tipped or bumped
300-ml Pepsi products are sold in a 12 pack resembling the Cube, 750-ml bottles are sold singly or in plastic 6-packs, 355ml bottles singly. All bottles have twist off caps except the 300ml Pepsi.

Hope you all find this of interest
!

Android
05-10-2003, 06:11 PM
I used to know a pepsi collector in Canada who sent me some of the PEI bottles for my collection. The ones he sent me are the 355 paper label Pepsi, and I'm pretty sure those are just NR's, they aren't thick enough for to be refillable. The other sizes, though, I think are refill bottles.

The 1.5 liter bottles you saw, what variety were they? Pepsi first came out with a tall skinny bottle, these were the ones called "bullets" because of the shape and tendancy to blow up despite the plastic coating. They didn't last long though, were replaced by short squatty looking bottles. And for all the refillable styles, PEI must have inherited the rest of Canadas stock, its been during the last 5 years that those refillables disappeared from other parts of the country.

andy

No Soda
05-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Hello Android...

The Pepsi 1.5 L bottles must have been the "squatty" type, they're fat and taper sharply into a small neck and have the Pepsi swirl in the tapered part. I picked up one on eBay after I came home. While the Pepsi bottles (750 ml) look like they could have been used previously all over Canada, the Coke bottles, believe it or not, all looked pretty new-they have "for beverage use only" on them, and the Coke bottles say "CLASSIQUE" on the French side, something the previous Canadian bottles didn't have (I remember them on a visit to Toronto in 1990.) The 355-ml Cokes were made in Mexico, and some I took home are dated "01."

sodasommelier
05-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Hey Jesse... they should turn Prince Edward into a King for that! Hey do the Vanilla Coke bottles have crown caps on top? I'd love to have some for my collection; here in the USA it's all aluminum/plastic.

Amazing how huge cities/countries have taken all of this away from the inhabitants. Some people just cannot accept the fact that they had it good to start with!

No Soda
05-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Hey sodasommelier...

The Vanilla Coke bottle has a plastic twist off...the only bottles w/crowns were the 300ml Pepsis. Still better than what we have!!

Yes, PEI is definately a pause that refreshes in the CCE/PBG wasteland of plastic and cans...