PDA

View Full Version : Dr Pepper questionnaire

teamtitan512
05-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Where do you live, and who controls it? (Pepsi, Coke, DPSU)? I'm trying to figure out just how Dr Pepper is distributed across the country. You can find quite a difference in this region.

MD

Garrett County - Pepsi (Oakland)
Allegany County - Pepsi (Cumberland)
Washington County - DPSU (Hagerstown)
Frederick County - DPSU (Frederick)
Montgomery County - Pepsi (DC Metro)
Prince George's County - Pepsi (DC Metro)
Baltimore County - Pepsi (Baltimore Metro)
Anne Arundel County - Pepsi (Annapolis)
Howard County - Pepsi (Baltimore Metro)

WV

Jefferson County - DPSU (Charles Town)
Berkeley County - DPSU (Martinsburg)
Morgan County - DPSU (Berkeley Springs)
Hampshire County - DPSU (Romney)
Hardy County - Pepsi (Moorefield)
Mineral County - Pepsi (Keyser)
Monongalia County - DPSU (Morgantown)
Taylor County - DPSU (Fairmont)
Harrison County - DPSU (Clarksburg)
Ohio County - Coke (Wheeling)
Randolph County - Coke (Elkins)

PA

Allegheny County - Coke (Pittsburgh)
Fayette County - Coke (Uniontown/PIT Metro)
Westmoreland County - Coke (Greensburg/PIT Metro)
Butler County - Coke (Butler/PIT Metro)
Washington County - Coke (Washington/PIT Metro)
Somerset County - Pepsi (Somerset)
Cambria County - Pepsi (Johnstown)
Blair County - Pepsi (Altoona)
Bedford County - Pepsi (Bedford)
Franklin County - DPSU (Chambersburg)
Cumberland County - Pepsi (Harrisburg Metro)
Dauphin County - Pepsi (Harrisburg)
York County - Pepsi (York)
Adams County - Pepsi (Gettysburg)
Lancaster County - Pepsi (Lancaster)

VA

Frederick County - DPSU (Winchester)
Clarke County - DPSU (Berryville)
Loudoun County - DPSU (Dulles Airport/DC Metro)
Warren County - DPSU (Front Royal)
Shenandoah County - DPSU (Luray Caverns area)
Rockingham County - DPSU (Harrisonburg)
Augusta County - DPSU (Staunton)
Albemarle County - Pepsi (Charlottesville)
Fairfax County - Pepsi (DC Metro)
Arlington County - Pepsi (DC Metro)
Prince William County - Pepsi (DC Metro)

Well....this is my region....now what about yours?

bigrich
05-10-2003, 11:48 PM
In Indiana it is a Pepsi product throughout the whole state. Various Pepsi Americas bottlers and Wis-Pak cover DR Pepper here.

fusion
05-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Northern Delaware, southern New Jersey, Philadelphia metro -- Philadelphia Coke

Southern Delaware, southeastern Maryland -- Pepsi Salisbury (two branches)

Northeastern Maryland (just two counties) -- indie Pepsi in Havre De Grace

Northern New Jersey, NYC Metro -- Coke NY (CCE NY)

Chester County PA, Lehigh Valley PA (Allentown/Bethlehem) -- Abarta Coke

old Herbco in northeastern PA (Poconos, Reading areas) - CCE

SamC
05-12-2003, 07:58 AM
Southern WV:

Cabell, Wayne, Putnam, Kanawha: Pepsi
Boone, Raleigh, Wyoming, Fayette: DPSU

teamtitan512
05-12-2003, 06:32 PM
I thought I'd add there is a difference between the Northeastern PA and Reading old Herbco territory, and the Westcentral territory of the old Herbco in Altoona, Johnstown, Indiana, and State Colllege (and Williamsport as well I believe). They never had the rights to Dr Pepper, and never had Pibb either.

My question is did the Northeastern and Reading areas also have Sunkist, Squirt, Welch's, and Canada Dry? These were present in the western Herbco. Last I saw Squirt became Mello Yello (which was already there, now with a greater presence), Sunkist became Fanta, Welch's is gone (didn't see Fanta Grape - saw Welch's w/RC), and Canada Dry remained a Coke product in this region as of January 2003, the last time I was there.

teamtitan512
05-12-2003, 06:35 PM
I thought I'd add there is a difference between the Northeastern PA and Reading old Herbco territory, and the Westcentral territory of the old Herbco in Altoona, Johnstown, Indiana, and State Colllege (and Williamsport as well I believe). They never had the rights to Dr Pepper, and never had Pibb either.

My question is did the Northeastern and Reading areas also have Sunkist, Squirt, Welch's, and Canada Dry? These were present in the western Herbco. Last I saw Squirt became Mello Yello (which was already there, now with a greater presence), Sunkist became Fanta, Welch's is gone (didn't see Fanta Grape - saw Welch's w/RC), and Canada Dry remained a Coke product in this region as of January 2003, the last time I was there.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-12-2003, 09:21 PM
michigan: metro detroit tri county area serviced by cce out of detroit, madison heights and maybe auburn hills and pontiac all have dr pepper. i'm not sure of "downriver" area of detroit, specifically more towards ohio on I-75 but i think for a fair distance around detroit (say 60 miles) it's cce controlled.

the rest of the lower peninsula is controlled by dpsu (formerly brooks beverage).

since i haven't been to the upper peninsula since i became a pop fanatic, i wouldn't know.

i am curious though.

drpep
05-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Where I live its Coke (CCE). Southeast over the border in Northeast Pennsylvania is independents ( Crystal Water Soda Co and Davis Beverage). Northwest in the Buffalo area its Pepsi. Erie, Pa is Pepsi. Over the border from Erie in Ohio its Pepsi Americas. Just south of me in Pa it is Pepsi.

teamtitan512
05-28-2003, 12:09 AM
So Cleveland has Dr Pepper Pepsi controlled? I was wondering about Cleveland particularly. Erie then is the largest city in PA where it's not under Coke control (Pittsburgh, Philly, Allentown all are)

fusion
05-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Replying to an old post...

Northeastern PA old Herbco had Squirt, Welch's, and Sunkist. I am almost certain they had Seagram's, because I remember they bought their cube-style 24 packs from Mid-Atlantic Canners.

They also had Barq's and Dr Pepper. I know we have a poster who works for Crystal on here.. I think they had/have Canada Dry. They benefitted greatly when CCE dropped the DPSU brands for Coke brands.

I used to live in New Jersey, and I would head out to NE PA every once in a while.. I've even been to their Pittston office, to redeem a prize I had won. They used to bottle there before CCE took over, now all 2 liters are trucked in from CCE NY territory. Some cans come from Baltimore, some from NY, some from Twinsburg. We had to get some cans from the Reading office for this holiday weekend, and they had originally come from Elmsford NY.

Harrisburg is a large city, and you've stated that Dr Pepper is under Pepsi control there. I'm guessing it's the largest PA city that's non Coke controlled when it comes to DP.

teamtitan512
05-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Yea....Harrisburg area is larger (whole Capital area is Pepsi controlled)

In Western PA, old Herbco never had Dr Pepper or Pibb, had Sunkist, had Squirt, had Welch's, and still has Canada Dry, but Seagram's lurks, I've seen it at a Sam's, but everywhere else there was Canada Dry still.

the saint
05-29-2003, 12:58 PM
in OKlahoma Pepper is controlled by Pepsi in and around the Tulsa area, I believe it is around chickasha or maybe it is lawton not sure controlled by an independant(not sure if dpsu owned or not) and pretty much everywhere else in the state is Great Plains cocacola

drpep
05-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Not to start a peeing match but Erie is almost twice the size of Harrisburg.
Also I've never been to Cleveland so I do not know the Dr Pep situation there. I was still almost an hour from there.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-30-2003, 10:12 PM
cleveland is abarta controlled and they do NOT have dr pepper. pepsi does.

JACK
05-30-2003, 11:17 PM
Oklahoma
Lawton - CCE
Elk City - Dr Pepper of Elk City
Ada / Shawnee - Crabtree Coke
McAlester / Muskogee - Love Bottling
Chickashaw - Chickashaw Dr Pepper
Altus - Vernon, TX - Dr Pepper
Tulsa - PBG
OKC, Enid, Stillwater, Ardmore - Great Plains

JACK
05-30-2003, 11:30 PM
Est 2003 Population of Pennsylvania Cities in millions. Ex. Philly 1,5 million, Pitts 334 thousand. Bottler with Dr Pepper
Philadelphia/1520.0/Coke
Pittsburgh/335.1/CCE
Allentown/106.8 / Coke
Erie/103.9 / ???
Reading/81.3/ Coke
Scranton/76.5 / Crystal Soda Water
Bethlehem/71.4 / Coke
LowerÂ*Merion/59.9 / Coke
Lancaster/56.4/ Pepsi
Levittown/54.1/ Coke
Altoona/49.6/ PBG
Harrisburg /49.0/Pepsi

teamtitan512
05-31-2003, 12:50 AM
However, the Harrisburg Metro area is larger due to a ton of suburbs, actually making a metro area of around 300,000 within a somewhat small radius of Harrisburg. It's a bigger area than it looks on paper.

teamtitan512
05-31-2003, 12:51 AM
Erie = Pepsi BTW

What about Dr Pepper in Chicago, New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis, St. Louis, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland (OR), Seattle?

Terry K
05-31-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
Erie = Pepsi BTW

What about Dr Pepper in Chicago, New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis, St. Louis, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland (OR), Seattle?As best I can tell:

Chicago: ABC/DPSUBG
NO: Appears to be Coke
Nashville: Consolidated Coke
Memphis: Coke
St. Louis: ABC/DPSUBG
SF: Coke
LA: Coke-CCE
SD: Coke (one county appears to be Pepsi)
Portland: Pepsi
Seattle: Pepsi

drpep
06-01-2003, 10:26 PM
What about Davis Beverage in Eastern Pa? I see their name on Dr Pepper containers.

teamtitan512
06-02-2003, 05:09 PM
I don't know where in Eastern PA Davis would have any Dr Pepper rights. Harrisburg/York/Lancaster area is all Pepsi. Philly and Allentown areas all Coke, and CCE areas up there have it.

Does Davis supply Franklin County? I think they do, and Dr Pepper is a DPSU product there, but it could be hauled out of Winchester like it is to the rest of that region, where Dr Pepper is a DPSU product from RC Winchester.

Terry K
06-03-2003, 08:30 AM
I don't know where in Eastern PA Davis would have any Dr Pepper rights. Harrisburg/York/Lancaster area is all Pepsi. Philly and Allentown areas all Coke, and CCE areas up there have it.

Does Davis supply Franklin County? I think they do, and Dr Pepper is a DPSU product there, but it could be hauled out of Winchester like it is to the rest of that region, where Dr Pepper is a DPSU product from RC Winchester.Scranton is Crystal Clear Soda Co. There's also a very small corner on the SW PA/WV border that appears to be RC Winchester.

I'll have to check it with my sources that have gotten Davis product, but I'm pretty sure its Scranton area.

drpep
06-03-2003, 12:28 PM
I see Davis product mixed with Crystal Water product in Bradford County, Pa. I have also seen some RC Winchester product, I think even Pepper, mixed in the third tier doors.

teamtitan512
06-03-2003, 04:26 PM
So RC Winchester supplies Greene County, PA? I can't figure out who distributes Coke there, as on CCE's map, Eastern Great Lakes and Pittsburgh ignore Greene County, its rural Southern neighbor.

They don't supply the Northcentral WV area as RC Winchester has no Big Red, and it's everywhere there in Northcentral WV. Plus, they just picked up 7Up from Pepsi. They are one of the most notable areas here for 3rd tier Dr Pepper though.

SamC
06-03-2003, 08:43 PM
So RC Winchester supplies Greene County, PA? I can't figure out who distributes Coke there, as on CCE's map, Eastern Great Lakes and Pittsburgh ignore Greene County, its rural Southern neighbor.

Greene County, PA was a part of the local bottler that became a part of CCB - West Virginia, which then became a part of CCBCC (Charlotte Coke).

After a strike about 2 years ago, CCBCC decided that the varrious legal complexities (every state you do business in, you have a plethora of rules, taxes, and forms) didn't justify the small territories it had in PA, OH, and KY, so it sold all of them to CCE. I think that was Greene, PA; Athens and Gallia, OH, and Pike and Boyd, KY.

In fact CCBCC accounts for its WV assets seperatly, the only state where it does that. WV has a very different labor climate than the right-to-work states that make up the rest of CCBCC territory. Many people think that CCBCC might sell the state to CCE, or Central or whoever at some point in the future.

teamtitan512
06-04-2003, 07:11 PM
I don't know who Greene went to but it wasn't CCE. I can tell you that, it's not on the territory map.

I'd go check a market to see what products they had, but I can't find one in Greene County. Convenience stores I don't think are as good a judge for that as a full fledged supermarket, like a Kroger, Giant Eagle, or Martin's (best markets for selection that I've found)

fusion
06-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Greene County is Consolidated. If you look at their territory map, you can see that the Morgantown WV office services some territory in PA.

Coke Consolidated Territory Map (http://www.cokeconsolidated.com/map.html)

Waynesburg is the county seat, they have a Shop N Save there, and a Food Depot(?)

teamtitan512
06-04-2003, 07:31 PM
The Shop N Save closed years ago, it was a former Kroger, and it is now a Mor for Less. Mor for Less is like Save-a-Lot, meaning it doesn't carry brand names.

fusion
06-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Oh, ok. I apologize. I'm using Yahoo's yellow pages, and they can be out of date in some instances.

teamtitan512
06-15-2003, 11:01 PM
BTTT. Done some research and Portland, OR is third-tier. Nashville appears to be Consolidated Coke. LA is CCE. Can't find out the rest of the large cities for sure.

fusion
06-18-2003, 08:24 PM
I'll be hitting some larger cities on my upcoming road trip, and I'll report back what I find.

Pittsburgh
Canton/Akron OH
Nashville & Cleveland TN
various parts of GA, SC, NC, VA

ben
03-24-2004, 01:31 AM
dr.pepper is made by coca-cola in mami

debdog42
04-27-2004, 06:37 AM
Dr Pepper is handled by Coke here in north central Idaho. Up until recently they bottled (cans) it here in my town.