PDA

View Full Version : Rural bottlers...

Blue Efficacy
12-14-2006, 01:41 PM
It seems like whenever I drive an hour or so (or more) out of the Twin Cities Metro, I find a better assortment of soda pop.

Take yesterday, I found not only the usuals we have around here (everything except Tropicana Twister soda and Sunkist Lemonade. Pepsi had Sunkist, orange only) In addition, I saw the following pops frequently that are rare or absent around my parts:
Sun Drop
Orange Crush
RC Cola was actually everywhere
Diet A&W Cream Soda
Mug Cream Soda (and its diet version)
Ruby Red Squirt
Diet Pepsi Vanilla

But yeah, is this true anywhere else in the country that in rural areas there is actually better assortment of products from the Big 3? Seems kind of odd.

DrPepperYummy
12-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Well I think a lot of it has to do wtih space in chain stores... everyone always raves about walmart super centers in their parts of the country but I don't have any near me, but when I finally visited some on a tour... I was shocked at the lack of variety in these accounts.. (obviously I expect it from discount centers but not super centers) The jewel and pick-n-saves have an amazing variety near me not just in flavor but package sizes as well, sentry's also had a good assortment some a few less flavors due to space but even small sentry's had a better variety than walmart super centers.

jewel listed below...

drpepper
diet drpepper
caffeine free drpepper
cherry vanilla drpepper
diet cherry vanilla drpepper
berries and cream drpepper
diet berries and cream drpepper
7up
diet 7up
cherry 7up
diet cherry 7up
7up plus mixed berry
7up plus island fruit
squirt
diet squirt
ruby red squirt
A&W
diet A&W
A&W cream
diet A&W cream
schweppes ale
vernors
diet vernors
countrytime lemonade
countrytime pink lemonade
countrytime light
tahitian treat
welchs grape
sunkist orange
diet sunkist orange
sunkist lemonade
diet sunkist lemonade
big red
sundrop
diet rite cola
diet rite cherry cola
diet rite black cherry
diet rite tangerine
diet rite white grape
diet rite raspberry
rc
diet rc

Okay I ran out of paper at this point to copy down flavors... but throw in crush flavors... canfields flavors... you get the point...

walmart super center below...

drpepper
diet drpepepr
7up
diet 7up
aw
diet aw
squirt
orange
rite
rc

Now some people might say well I must have gone to an absolute huge jewel versus a small discount store... no this was a smaller jewel store and the super center was one of two in that town so it goes to show you just how much of a variety difference there was in brands I work with.

newage was a little better in variety but even that was blowing me away... does walmart realize how little they offer their shoppers from some companies? (I'm sure some of the flavors vary by region but they only had so much space to work with)

shadowlp06
12-15-2006, 04:10 AM
I once worked for Wal-Mart and this is what I have gathered. They will carry what they know they can sell or move in high volumes. They won't carry a dud of a product for very long. If something doesn't sell, you'll usually see it on the clearance aisle after long, they would rather take the loss on what they have in-stock rather than order more of that dud of a product. A customer once complained about the selection of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, that it was far less of other stores. The manager told the customer that Wal-Mart only carries the Top 5 or Top 10 of B&J's flavors because thats what sells. I do know that since I have left Wal-Mart, I have read that they are trying to incorporate more local products into its stores. So maybe they will start adding more local products in the future.

BottleBoss
12-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Wal-Mart does not care about local products. As far as Wal-mart is concerned they would just as soon put them out of business rather than sell their products.

mofizz
12-15-2006, 01:21 PM
We have had success with Wal-Mart regarding semi-local products including Sundrop,Diet Sundrop, and Cheerwine. The hard part is getting it authorized. Once you get past that, let it rip as long as you use the space alloted to the bottler in the WM modular. If you were to try to get something like Hanks or some off the wall energy, forget about it.

SumPoosieCat
12-15-2006, 01:40 PM
I will shop at Costco... you not find me in a Walmart...never.

pepsipimp
12-15-2006, 04:40 PM
We just got a Costco here, haven't been yet. How much is the avg. membership?

Blue Efficacy
12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
$45 I think

stinkfinger
12-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by SumPoosieCat:
I will shop at Costco... you not find me in a Walmart...never. You only wissh you could get your swill into a Walmart.

CitrusCola
12-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Smaller chain and independent stores have realized that the only way to compete with Wal-Mart is to offer items that Wal-Mart does not.

I've found some of the best varieties of soft drinks in small country stores and highway convenience stores.

Mr Zabe
12-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Recently about 3 years ago a Meijer Super Store (much like a Walmart Super Store) opened just about across the street from my favorite Jewel Food store. Meijer's grocery had all the services of a "regular" grocery store but the prices were 20 to 25 percent cheaper. Meijer's customer service was a better too.

The first year or so,Jewel took a royal beating. Their sales sunk,they laid off some employees ect. A management change was implemented. Customer service improved 100%. Their weekly sales became very appealing.

Soon this Jewel appeared to increase their sales. The nice thing about Jewel is that compared to Meijer, Jewel has a vast selection of different products within a catagory. Sort of like the Soda Pop catagory I have been raving about. LOL I can get 15 kinds of mustard if I want something special. That kind of thing.

Some customers do shop price and some shop for selection and service.
I shop both. smile.gif

[ 12-16-2006, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

pepsipimp
12-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Meijer was the dominant super center concept around here until Wal-Mart started now Wal-Mart has more stores than Meijer. The Wal-Mart I service has a non-existent new age selection other than Frappuchino and Lipton Teas. Meijer is a little better but the best has to be the grocery stores or convenience stores. Your right about service at Meijer though, it seems to be better than others but still not as good as Target...now if only we could get Target to put pop on sale (better than 2/5 or 3/9). Mr. Zabe do you have Super Targets there? If so do they have a good selection?

Mr Zabe
12-16-2006, 10:57 PM
As of now we do not have Super Targets. There have been many rumors of Super Target but none as yet. The regular Targets IMO do not do a very good job with beverage and food merchandising. Often the shelves are not stocked or out of stock. I used to buy my water there but after some time I could never find my brand stocked.

As well Target,like you said, has higher prices for most of the beverage and food itiems.

[ 12-16-2006, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Blue Efficacy
12-17-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
As of now we do not have Super Targets. There have been many rumors of Super Target but none as yet. The regular Targets IMO do not do a very good job with beverage and food merchandising. Often the shelves are not stocked or out of stock. I used to buy my water there but after some time I could never find my brand stocked.

As well Target,like you said, has higher prices for most of the beverage and food itiems. SuperTarget's prices for food and commodity items are almost always in line with a Wal-mart Supercenter's prices.

Blue Efficacy
12-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Oh and another thing, Target has GREAT pop sales.
Like when they did 4/$9 coke products with a free $5 giftcard...

NRGSLLR@
12-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Zabe, there are Super Targets in Aurora and Naperville.

Mr Zabe
12-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Tks.
LOL....I never travel to those towns. LOL

DrPepperYummy
12-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Often the shelves are not stocked or out of stock. I used to buy my water there but after some time I could never find my brand stocked. After talking to some people who sell to the targets.. I find a large reason for out of stocks is the forced product selection... whatever comes down on those price channel markers.. is what they HAVE to carry even if its not right for the area or the shelf space is incorrectly set... so they shoot themselves in the foot by not allowing the vendor to take care of that...

pepsipimp
12-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Target has a program with vendors where they rate you on different things like out of stocks, rotation, service, etc. Your shelf space is supposedly given based off how well/poor you do in those categories. I can tell you that ordering for Targets is a pain, they are quite picky about backstock. Some stores only allow 1 pallet so its hard to have everything full, others are more generous and allow 3-4 skids, but their management likes to dictate what you order.

David J.
12-18-2006, 06:22 PM
I go to the local mom and pop stores to get soda. They have DPSU products, and the local and regional sodas can't be beat for the cost and quality. You don't find that at the big chain stores.

At one store, 2liters of Adirondack/Polar Beverages are on sale for 79 cents. For that price and quality, you can't go wrong.