PDA

View Full Version : Sodas/Mistic in Philly

MISTICman
04-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey guys...
Despite gas prices, I'm thinking of making a side trip up to Philly for a day. What sodas do they have? Also, what flavors of Mistic are up there?
I'm especially looking for Big Red, Dad's root beer, Barq's red cream soda, and the Sparkling Mistics. If they have any new flavors of Mistic,let me know too.
I mainly want to find out if grocery stores up there don't sell alcohol or tobacco. I've never been in a grocery store like that.
Thanks for your help.

teamtitan512
04-14-2005, 01:06 AM
They sell tobacco in PA. Alcohol is sold through PLCB stores only. Independent stores can only sell it in my homeland of MD. Only preexisting licenses before 1987 can sell at c-stores and supermarkets, not many of those left.

They sell tons of Mistic in Shoppers, most variety I've seen. You'll pass some through Baltimore/Washington. They don't really have an equivalent in the Philadelphia area. I can tell you Giant-PA doesn't even carry Mistic here in Western MD, Giant-MD carries some, but not much, Genuardi's won't have much. I have no clue what Acme, Pathmark or ShopRite have.

I've really been checking this recently, and most supermarkets don't sell Mistic around here. You can't buy it west of about Frederick, MD anywhere. Giant-PA, Giant Eagle, Shop 'n Save do not sell it.

fusion
04-14-2005, 08:23 PM
There are some store-within-store liquor locations in Pennsylvania.. still controlled by the PLCB, though.

You're not going to find any Big Red or Barq's Red in Philadelphia. Closest Big Red will be in West Virginia, closest Barq's Red will be in York County, PA.

Philadelphia isn't too exciting, beveragewise.

You do have the various Canada Dry flavors (Pineapple, Black Cherry, Vanilla Cream, etc), PA Dutch flavors (birch beer, orange cream, black cherry, etc), Hank's, and so on.

Mistic is controlled by Canada Dry Delaware Valley. They have so much other stuff, Mistic is barely a blip on their radar. Canada Dry Potomac (DC/Baltimore) does a much better job with Mistic.

If you're taking 95, you'll be passing through the area I work in. I work in the area on the east side of Baltimore, up to the Maryland/Delaware state line. I can give you some pointers on where to stop in those areas. Klein's is an independent chain, they have a pretty good noncarb section in their stores. Though they have different salesguys for different stores, so you may find something in one store and not another.

Two stores are located right near the interstate.

Exit #80, south on 543 (Riverside Parkway). Kleins on left.

Exit #85, east on Route 22, then get into far left lane to make left turn at light (Beards Hill Rd). Kleins on right.

Forget about Acme and Shoprite. No Mistic in either, most likely. Skip Wawa, they carry the basic stuff, nothing really out of the ordinary.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I am familiar with the area I work in, plus northern Delaware. Slightly familiar with Delaware County & Chester County PA.. once you get past that, I barely know how to get around.

Here's a side trip that may prove to be interesting. I haven't been to this store in quite a while, but they did have a pretty good selection of odd stuff from an outfit called Superior Beverages.

once you cross over the DE/PA state line on 95, take the second exit, which is Market Street/452. At the bottom of the exit, take a left. This can be a real pain, because there's a lot of traffic, and no light. Travel up this road a few miles, and you'll pass Sunoco, and then come up to a Rite Aid on the corner. Make a left at this light, into the shopping center. There's a Shop N Bag (independent Philadelphia area chain) in the shopping center. Retrace your steps to get back to 95.

A few pointers, if you've never made this trip before:

When you are in Delaware, the highway splits. The two left lanes go to Philadelphia, the two right go to New Jersey. You want to make sure you are in one of the two left lanes (pay attention to the overhead signs, they start warning you 2 miles out). Also, once you get past that, take 495. It's a bypass around the city of Wilmington. It's actually quicker than taking 95, since you don't have all the on and off ramps, and the speed limit is higher. 95 and 495 connect back up right at the DE/PA state line. Look at it on a map, you'll see what I mean.

Also, if you want to see a really, really big liquor store, there is one that is easier to access on the way back from Philadelphia. It's the first exit into Delaware off of 95, Naamans Road (Rt 92). Once you get off the exit, keep right, and follow that lane around. Make a right into Northtowne Plaza. There is no sales tax on liquor, but for beer there is a 5 cent per bottle deposit (same as 20oz sodas, etc).

When you come back out of the shopping center, go out to the light. Make a left, and take Naamans Road up to Philadelphia Pike/US 13 and make a right. This will take you over to 495 South. Like I said, you want to avoid 95 through Wilmington.

But, if you are really feeling adventureous, you can keep going west on Naamans for about 5 miles, and this will dump you right into the heart of North Wilmington. That's where ALL the big box/small box shopping is. Trader Joe's, Cost Plus, Target, etc.. all in and around Brandywine Town Center, which is at the intersection of Route 202 and Route 92. Plus, if you've gone that far, you might as well go up to Brewers Outlet in Chadds Ford. Just take 202 north, over the state line, and then the Brewer's Outlet will be in the middle of 202, immediately after the Mobil station. You can take 202 south back down, through all the congested shopping areas, and that will hook you up with 95 south. But be prepared to burn a few hours if you are going to make that trip. 202 is insanely busy most of the time.

Lastly, bring toll $$. You'll be paying some sort of toll if you take 95 right through Baltimore, plus a $5 toll at the Susquehanna River on the other side of Baltimore (one way toll, going north), plus a $2 2-way toll at the Maryland/Delaware border.

Like I said, you can email me if you have any questions or comments.

[ 04-16-2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

gregmech26
04-16-2005, 02:33 AM
Canada Dry Vanilla cream sounds so interesting! I don't think they offer it in Michigan.

fusion
04-16-2005, 07:12 PM
From what I understand, the Canada Dry flavors are the old Frank's line, just renamed. I can still find Frank's in cans at a beer/soda place in Pennsylvania. The brand is owned by either Concord Beverages, now part of Cott, or Canada Dry Delaware Valley, which is part of Honickman. Honickman was also the former owner of Concord Beverages.

So, basically, you can only find the flavors in Canada Dry Delaware Valley territory, which is around Philadelphia, southern New Jersey, Delaware, and a few counties in eastern Maryland.

The labels used to be really unique.. until Canada Dry revamped the ginger ale graphics with the big crest on the front.. so they also redesigned the flavor line's bottles to look the same.

There also used to be an Island Lime flavor, which was AWESOME.

fusion
04-16-2005, 07:18 PM
If I remember correctly, the current flavors are:

Pineapple
Black Cherry Wishniak
Peach
Vanilla Cream
Wild Cherry

They are sold in 2 liters and 20oz bottles.

CD DV also sells a lot of Tahitian Treat and Welch's grape prepriced 2 liters @ 99ยข.

[ 04-18-2005, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: fusion ]

MISTICman
04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks Fusion...
With all these directions, i may need some help since i get lost easily. I'm not into alcohol, just never been in a store that doesn't sell it. I may send you an e-mail over the next few days.