PDA

View Full Version : I WISH They'd put real Sugar back in soda!

RockandRollFan
01-09-2006, 05:26 PM
I guess it's from the high cost of cane sugar but I sure don't think any pop tastes as good as it used to now that they have high fructose corn syrup :rolleyes:

01GTB
01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
I have been a Dr Pepper drinker all my life and accepted the change over without ever knowing what happened. Time ran together and I blamed the plastic bottles on the change in taste. The fact of it was, it never really tasted as good as it did when I was a kid. I though perhaps it was like McDonald's, it was better when I was a younger. I just figured tastes change.

It was only about 6 years ago when I discovered the truth. Cane sugar in glass tastes like I remember it tasting. I started purchasing cases of Dublin Dr Pepper every now and then, but it was like a treat, not something I could afford everyday. Back in November I bought 15 cases of West Jefferson Dr Pepper and have throroughly enjoyed it. I had gone probably a month without drinking HFCS Dr Pepper out of a two-liter plastic bottle. I was in for an unpleasant surprise the the other day when I finally did crack open a plastic bottle.

And speaking of McDonald's, I am convinced it was better when I was a kid...just like other fast food places. Just like soft drinks. It changed, not me. I believe they ease people into drinking and eating what they would otherwise not, with small subtle changes.

DJ HawaiianShirt
01-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the club, everyone.

SEV :rolleyes:

fusion
01-10-2006, 12:41 AM
They also did a similar thing with cofee.. more and more cheap robusta beans were ground in with the arabica beans.

The history channel has a whole series of shows about interesting topics such as beer, coffee, and sugar.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-10-2006, 09:46 AM
the major breweries consistently change formulas ever so slightly to cater to the changing tastes of the american consumer. that miller lite ad accusing bud light of changing its formula was right on the money.

ShastaBaby
01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
I remember in the book "For God, Country and Coca-Cola" which I don't have in front of me to refer to, that Coke went at least partially to beet sugar back in the 1950's. HFCS was introduced back in the 1970's - I remember my dad (who was a soda pop chemist for 40 years) bringing home the information on it back then in his briefcase. It's all about money of course; cane sugar prices fluctuate all over the place (Coca-Cola almost went bankrupt around WWI as a result of buying tons of sugar for 24 cents a pound right before the price plummeted to around 6 cents, if I recall correctly), while corn is quite cheap.

To the person who mentioned how McDonald's tasted better as a kid - it's not faulty memory, you are absolutely right! Ever since they changed the shortening in the fryers from beef tallow/vegetable to all vegetable, and changed to more of a Burger-King production system (where instead of making the burgers and wrapping them etc they make a bunch of patties and keep them in a heated storage bin until they make the sandwiches "to order") the quality and taste has plummeted IMO.

ShastaBaby
01-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Forgot to add - I do miss the glass bottles...those plastic bottles do nothing for me...soda pop is meant to be drank from glass dang it!

Mr Zabe
01-10-2006, 03:32 PM
I too like glass. I remember drinking nearly all my soda pops as a kid from glass bottles. I hate to say it but having to lug all those 8pk bottles from the store and back was not a nice memory.

I wish I had the energy and desire to be a soda pop purist. I admire all of you who go to great measures to find glass and enjoy it. I also enjoy hearing about your hunting and gathering stories of your quest to find glass.

I have been brain washed to accept the 12oz can.
I enjoy a good glass of canned soda pop poured over the rocks. It works for me. I don't have much money so buying cubes and fridge packs is more affordable,lots of sales to be had.

It's all cool,it's cool that we can find what pleases us. smile.gif Rambling over. LOL

[ 01-10-2006, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Drinking from glass is where it's at. Plastic bottles are pretty lousy for the most part, and cans are tolerable.

You can simulate glass bottles by simply taking whatever pop you have and pouring it into a clean drinking glass (preferably one that has been chilled in the freezer). This works because the plastic and aluminum doesn't seem to permanently affect the taste (unless, I suppose, it's been in there for years).

-HM

[ 01-10-2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Hollow Man ]

01GTB
01-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Mr Zabe, I know what you mean about hauling the glass to and from :D At the time when they finally disappeared completely from local store shelves, I am not sure I missed them at all. My Dad might put away four 16oz returnables a day, and the rest of us would put away the other four. So when he went to the store you know you were going to be carting loads of bottles.

I remember him finding a great deal on 32oz returnables one time and coming home from school and there being something 120 of them sitting in the kitchen floor. My mom freaked :D Our garage was never used for cars, it was primarily for overflow from the house...and that included plenty of drinks. When I moved out of that house, I packed up a lot of the bottles in the garage that were never returned for deposit for whatever reason and still have quite a few in a warehouse.

RBCRM
01-12-2006, 05:40 PM
I like to keep cans in the fridge with empty glass bottles that have twist-off metal caps. When everything gets cold, I pour the soda into a glass bottle, seal it, and let it sit in the fridge at least another 24 hours. Tastes exactly the same as glass direct from the bottler. For some flavors, even better.

Mr Zabe
01-12-2006, 07:17 PM
What ever works for you is cool. smile.gif
IMO...it appears your are having a mind over bottle experience rather than a bottle over mind experience. LOL

DMC
01-14-2006, 01:09 PM
this summer, Dr. Pepper will be releasing, for a limited time, Pure Cane Dr. Pepper in glass bottles. they were suppose to do it last year, but because of the hurricane events, it got pushed back.

01GTB
01-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by DMC:
this summer, Dr. Pepper will be releasing, for a limited time, Pure Cane Dr. Pepper in glass bottles. they were suppose to do it last year, but because of the hurricane events, it got pushed back. All markets?

AzRocks
01-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Doesn't Coke make Passover Coke which contains real Sugar? If Im not mistaken Passover should be in a cupple of months so if you live in an area where they have this- stock up when they start producing it!

PeaceKitty
01-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Last year we got a store called 'Beverages and More' open up near me that, amoung other things, sold Dr Pepper in glass bottles in all its purecane goodness... now i don't have to order from drpep.com anymore. The shipping was killing me to get it to CA.

DMC
01-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by 01GTB:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DMC:
this summer, Dr. Pepper will be releasing, for a limited time, Pure Cane Dr. Pepper in glass bottles. they were suppose to do it last year, but because of the hurricane events, it got pushed back. All markets? </font>[/QUOTE]yes, all markets that want to participate.

01GTB
01-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by PeaceKitty:
Last year we got a store called 'Beverages and More' open up near me that, amoung other things, sold Dr Pepper in glass bottles in all its purecane goodness... now i don't have to order from drpep.com anymore. The shipping was killing me to get it to CA. Whenever I was ordering it, it was costing somewhere around 40 bucks a case with shipping to Florida. I certainly could not justify buying more than a case or two a year. Then I didn't really enjoy it because I was always counting how many I had left. We still don't have an outlet for it, but when I went up to Virginia back in November I rented a mid-size SUV to pick up quite a few cases from WJ. Now, I am enjoying it ;) I think the supply is down to 6 cases now. Between two people it should carry me through mid-March. I average a bottle a day. Occasionally I will drink two. I'd be broke doing that ordering Dublin DP...especially with the 8 oz bottles.

DMC, thanks for the info. I got a feeling we won't see any of it here in central Florida though.

Mr Zabe
01-21-2006, 07:28 PM
LOL...It must be a soda pop freak trait.
When I get down to my last 4 cans/bottles of my A list soda pops I get nervous. LOL I hate not having my favorites so I restock at the 4 can/bottle mark. My family and friends think I'm nuts,that's ok. :D

[ 01-21-2006, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

PeaceKitty
01-21-2006, 07:49 PM
No more 'low on Dr Pepper' jitters for me. I do know what you mean, even only bringing one out every so often always made me think about how much it costs to get another case... but in the end i was always getting another case sooner or later.

Also instead of the 8oz that drpep sent me i get 16 oz glass bottles now. &lt;3

I went up to Virginia back in November I rented a mid-size SUV to pick up quite a few cases from WJ.You are my HERO!

[ 01-21-2006, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: PeaceKitty ]

01GTB
01-21-2006, 11:07 PM
I had decided I was going to take my bicycle up there and ride the C&O Towpath. But once I picked up the rental and saw how much room I had to work with, I knew right then and there either the bike was going to have to stay up there or I was going to have to buy far less Dr Pepper. I came to a compromise...I bought a bike rack for the return trip

Next time I'll take my F350 up there and just have them load a pallet for me :D It's a crew cab, and I can just sleep in the backseat to save a few bucks for gas redface.gif

someguytyping
04-06-2006, 09:54 PM
on the label for cherry coke it says high fructose corn syrup and or sucrose.