View Full Version : Diet Coke Plus?

billygtexas
12-28-2006, 05:55 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/08/news/companies/coke/index.htm

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/12/13/diet-coke-plus-is-diet-coke-but-healthier/

Why couldnt they do this with Zero?

Mr Zabe
12-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Once again the so called Brains at Coca Cola have developed another lame twist to Diet Coke.

I have at least 8 strong points in my mind at how this new brand will fail. It boggles my mind how Coca Cola,inlight of their vast R&D resources, can go to market with a brand that has so many potential ways to fail and perhaps damage it's flagship diet soft drink,Diet Coke.

[ 12-28-2006, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
12-28-2006, 09:14 AM
i agree, zabe.

7up plus was intended to be the same, with more calcium, and as far as i know, it failed, with it being pretty much 100 percent gone, not even woodmans, which if you dont know has a HUGE soda section, carrying it.

David J.
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't think coke knows what they want to do with their diet soda.

I mean... they are still pushing Diet Coke like crazy when there's Coke Zero which is much superior. I guess they really want to get Diet Coke in the 4th posisition or something?

DrPepperYummy
12-28-2006, 02:01 PM
I just like how one of the stories says...

"No, this isn't going to be like the disaster that was "New Coke" in the 1980s."

They are correct, cause its going to be the disaster of 2007 lol. 7up plus is all but gone from stores and its not becuase some people didn't enjoy the taste but becuase they didn't agree with the concept, a healthy or better for you soda... they switched to water and flavored waters to get a variety... helloooo glaceau vitaminwater!

Mr Zabe
12-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Excellent point.

Diet Coke with or without a "weak" vitamin/mineral profile
would never be misconstrued as a "healthy" soda pop.

[ 12-28-2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

billygtexas
12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
The marketing "geniuses" at Coke who gave us C2 and Diet Coke with Splenda proably came up with this gem. They should have gone the energy drink route and give us a Coke Zero "Jolt" version with more caffeine.

Making any cola "healthy" is a stupid idea - its like trying to make twinkies or donuts health food. And if Plus is priced high like C2 was it will never sell.

Instead of really promoting Coke Zero more and making sweeter tasting diet sodas, they keep flogging the old horse thats basically had the same formula since 1981 with more gimmicks.

[ 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

mjb1124
12-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by DrPepperYummy:
I just like how one of the stories says...

"No, this isn't going to be like the disaster that was "New Coke" in the 1980s."

They are correct, cause its going to be the disaster of 2007 lol. 7up plus is all but gone from stores and its not becuase some people didn't enjoy the taste but becuase they didn't agree with the concept, a healthy or better for you soda... they switched to water and flavored waters to get a variety... helloooo glaceau vitaminwater! I don't like when people compare recent soda flops to New Coke. The reason why New Coke was such a huge disaster was because it directly replaced a highly successful product. No unsuccessful line extensions can compete with that. If anything, they should be compared to Crystal Pepsi.

DrPepperYummy
12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by billygtexas:
The marketing "geniuses" at Coke who gave us C2 and Diet Coke with Splenda proably came up with this gem. They should have gone the energy drink route and give us a Coke Zero "Jolt" version with more caffeine.Well it was actually Walmart that brought you coke with splenda... they "encouraged" coke to do it or else... they are also responsible for what was it, slice with splenda from pepsi?

billygtexas
12-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by DrPepperYummy:
Well it was actually Walmart that brought you coke with splenda... they "encouraged" coke to do it or else... they are also responsible for what was it, slice with splenda from pepsi? That they pushed for Diet Coke with Splenda or Slice One (nasty stuff) doesn't surprise me.

It's well known that Wal-Mart pushes manufacturers to make custom or cheaper products for them that wind up hurting the manufacturers profits in the long run. (Some US-Based companies have had to shut down plants here and go overseas to make cheaper products just to get Wal-Mart to sell them (Levi's)... OK back to soda discussion)

Wal-Mart has a deal with Cott, why don't they get them to make Splendazed Sam's colas?

popologist
12-29-2006, 11:03 PM
walmart's "creation" of diet coke with splenda created a lot of unnecessary confusion during the launch of coke zero. remember, they were launched only a month apart... and only a year after C2.

from what i understand, DC w/ splenda's sales are falling... which probably means it will be discontinued in a year.

popologist
12-29-2006, 11:11 PM
as for diet coke plus... i'm not quite so dismissive as the rest of you.

i mean, i don't expect it to bring in a lot of new soda drinkers, BUT... it may make current diet coke drinkers feel better about their soft drink... or keep them from straying to healthier beverages. also, it might attract diet pepsi drinkers (until pepsi releases it's own version, of course).

even so, they seem to be saturating the market with diet sodas. most likely, some of them will be discontinued (DC w/ lime, black cherry vanilla, splenda).

personally, i'd like to see them revive TaB, and make that their splenda drink. at least it'd have a "reason to exist" then.

they could aim diet coke at "the masses", coke zero at males, and TaB at women. of course, who will be drinking diet coke plus? LOL.

ColaFan
12-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Diet Coke with Splenda does not taste like normal Coke. They added way too much lemon in his version. It tastes more like diet coke with lemon. If they do another diet Coke with Splenda, I hope they get the flavor right. I think they added extra lemon to hide the splenda taste... but they added way too much. Pepsi One is still the best splenda soda out there ,,, IMHO A Zero with vitamines cold possible work

popologist
12-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by ColaFan:
Diet Coke with Splenda does not taste like normal Coke. They added way too much lemon in his version. It tastes more like diet coke with lemon. If they do another diet Coke with Splenda, I hope they get the flavor right. I think they added extra lemon to hide the splenda taste... but they added way too much. Pepsi One is still the best splenda soda out there ,,, IMHO A Zero with vitamines cold possible work i agree that DC w/ splenda has too much lemon. that's one of the main reasons i didn't like it. it tasted like CD w/ lemon (which i hated).

i'd also agree that pepsi one tastes better than DC with splenda. though i still prefer coke zero best.

wonkapete
01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Anybody have any pics of the Diet Coke Plus cans or bottles yet?

Ram0n C0keah0lic
01-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Rob The SURGE Drinker:
7up plus was intended to be the same, with more calcium, and as far as i know, it failed, with it being pretty much 100 percent gone, not even woodmans, which if you dont know has a HUGE soda section, carrying it. It's true, when I went to Texas, I didn't saw any bottle of 7up Plus on sale anymore, it really failed...

I don't know why but I think that Diet Coke Plus won't be a huge success, IMO the Diet Coke drinkers won't care if it has vitamins, cause like DPYummy said, if people wants vitamins, they will drink vitamin water...

What I thought it would be a success was Diet Coke with Splenda but I see it haven't succeded, I only saw few bottles on sale at one C-Store of the many I visited...

[ 01-17-2007, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

SURGE
02-13-2007, 12:45 AM
I dont really think DC w/ Splenda was the disaster it is being made out to be. Coke had low expectations and did zero promotion yet it is still viable (though hardly huge). It served its purpose but I agree it is no longer really needed.

ColaFan
02-13-2007, 01:15 AM
It could have been reformulated to taste better. I think they rushed it to get to market and did not do enough consumer panels. Just my 2 cents

popologist
02-13-2007, 01:34 PM
i think DC w/ splenda flopped because it didn't taste very good. i mean, i don't really know anyone who drinks/drank it after its initial launch.

it was too "lemony" in my opinion and made me kind of nauseous. pepsi one has a similar effect, so it might be the splenda...

Mr Zabe
02-13-2007, 01:36 PM
It's the Splenda. I have been there and done that.LOL

fusion
02-23-2007, 07:27 PM
As requested...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/DietCokePlus20oz.jpg

Ram0n C0keah0lic
02-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Cool! thanks for posting, fusion!

the plus script looks very 70's, and that confirms that regular Diet Coke will use the new logo too...

Probably Diet Coke Plus will be announced during the Academy Awards too...

mjb1124
02-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Is it just me or does that label have a decidedly Asian look to it? If i didn't know better I would think it was from Japan or something.

I also notice that this is sweetened with aspartame and ace-K. Wonder how it will taste.

popologist
02-24-2007, 07:54 AM
i just noticed THAT as well! diet coke with Ace-K!

maybe this is all just a ruse to tweak the taste of regular diet coke.

i'll actually be trying this, just to see if i notice a difference. though, with all that other stuff in there, i doubt it will taste as good as coke zero.

also, i agree, that the packaging looks "asian" or something. maybe it's the rainbow colors.

I also notice that this is sweetened with aspartame and ace-K. Wonder how it will taste.

da987
02-24-2007, 06:07 PM
I love the logo, very very cool and uncluttered. I hate some of the current and past logos where they have put bubbles behind the logo and the old Diet Coke logo of the mid 90's that had that weird silver/grey shape thing going on behind the logo.

The Diet Coke Plus logo does look very 1970's as Ramon just said, it kind of remind's me of the old Mission To Mars ride at Disney World in Florida.

Hey Fusion is that bottle label from a production bottle or test market bottle?

fusion
02-24-2007, 09:55 PM
There are no test markets for this brand - it's going to be launched fairly widely.

It's got a valid UPC, but no "sales sample only" on the label - so I'd say it's a normal label.

fusion
02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
And.. actual product pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/dietcokeplus.jpg

Ram0n C0keah0lic
02-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Cool packaging! thanks for posting fusion! one question, where I can see those images? Do you have images of the new regular Diet Coke and Coca-Cola Classic labels?

popologist
02-28-2007, 11:55 PM
i'm more interested in how diet coke will taste with ace-K than the vitamins and minerals. i'm guessing it will taste better than regular diet coke. and maybe this is just coke's clever way of testing if people will like an ace-K version of diet coke.

fusion
03-01-2007, 12:13 AM
The only new classic and diet images are the ones I've seen on here from you.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-01-2007, 12:58 AM
The only new classic and diet images are the ones I've seen on here from you.

Thanks anyway! :)

XLS_04
03-02-2007, 03:06 AM
the "Plus" font looks like something you would see on an electronic product such as a tv or something. I honestly think the word is a little too colorful but I suppose its better than just one color.

I agree, as someone mentioned it does not look like it is from this country.

rackitup
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
the label looks like the Google web page.