PDA

View Full Version : Change In 7UP Bottler In New Orleans?

The BigTymer
12-30-2006, 01:25 PM
I had heard a rumor about a couple of months ago that 7UP Southeast was going to open up a distribution center in the New Orleans area by the end of '06. I had heard in the same rumor that they would be carrying Cheerwine.

I'm guessing half of that has come true to this point.

The last couple of times I've been to Wal-Mart, Big Shot wasn't available at all (for those who don't know, the incumbent 3rd-tier bottler was called Big Shot/7UP). However, they added Diet RC fridgepacks there, as well as Sundrop and Squirt in 20-oz.

Still no sight of Cheerwine, but I gotta check out Sav-A-Center, Rouse's, and Winn-Dixie.

Pretty interesting third-tier changes here, though.

The BigTymer
01-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I am so close that I can taste it.

I found the number of 7UP Southeast's distribution center down here (for a New Orleans distributor, they're much closer to Baton Rouge!)

I called them up, and it turns out they have Cheerwine in stock... yet none of the stores in my area carry it. I spent the day calling all the supermarkets and Wal-Marts in my area. Somehow, I bet Rouse's carries it first.

fusion
01-02-2007, 11:55 PM
It's actually in Gonzales - I looked it up on their website.

http://www.dpsubg.com/location_detail2.asp?ID=154

But there is no mention of DPSUBG buying out Big Shot or any franchise rights to beverages. Are you sure that buyout actually happened?

The BigTymer
01-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
It's actually in Gonzales - I looked it up on their website.

http://www.dpsubg.com/location_detail2.asp?ID=154

But there is no mention of DPSUBG buying out Big Shot or any franchise rights to beverages. Are you sure that buyout actually happened? Yep, that's the distributor I was talking about. And no, they didn't buy out Big Shot/7UP, but they did take over the third-tier rights down here.

As a result, it's extremely hard to find Big Shot. Also, the prices for third-tier products have actually come DOWN about $0.50 - $1 /12-pack, which is a good thing.

boodoo
01-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I spoke to the Big Shot folks a few days ago. Was informed that they "gave up" the Cadbury brands. Seems they will continue with Big Shot and maybe add some brands.

Cheer-wined
01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Isn't Big Shot still owned by National (parent co. of Shasta/Faygo/Ritz) ?

That makes them a competitor to C-S, which is even more amazing that Big Shot held the DPSU brands for this long.

fusion
01-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Perhaps it was CSAB's recent purchase of DPSUBG and AABC that got the ball rolling. CSAB wants a lot tighter rein on their bottling operations.

I often wonder what all this holds in store for Dr Pepper. Will CSAB buy back all the Coke/Pepsi franchises, feeling that their bottling network will be strong enough to properly distribute the brand?

Blue Efficacy
01-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Perhaps it was CSAB's recent purchase of DPSUBG and AABC that got the ball rolling. CSAB wants a lot tighter rein on their bottling operations.

I often wonder what all this holds in store for Dr Pepper. Will CSAB buy back all the Coke/Pepsi franchises, feeling that their bottling network will be strong enough to properly distribute the brand? I think this would be quite nice indeed. A strong third tier can only help things for the customer.
I remember when Pepsi dumped 7up. ABC, the third tier, with 7up in its portfolio, gained wider distribution. If ABC had Dr Pepper, that would be even better! Heck, without Dr Pepper, maybe PBG would make Cheerwine around here. Hey, a man can dream...

Cheer-wined
01-09-2007, 09:42 PM
If CSAB rescinds their DP franchises from Coke and Pepsi they're still screwed on fountains. They might be able to hold their own with cold channel and supermarkets but DP fountain sales will get slaughtered. No doubt DP would come out of that deal a lesser brand, a la 7-Up.

Surely Pepsi would jump at the chance to trot out another crappy DP clone and push it on the masses ...

WJ is probably one of the few places in the country where 3rd tier is strong enough to consistently win fountain contracts at restaurants, and that's only because DPWJ can provide both MD and DP. I ate at a restuarant in town tonight that had MD, DP, diet DP, RC and 7-Up on fountain.

BTW, DPWJ has finally caught up with the new DP graphics on their longnecks. Pretty much identical to the ones bottled by DPSUBG except for the metal crowns.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/New_DP_23.jpg

fusion
04-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Isn't Big Shot still owned by National (parent co. of Shasta/Faygo/Ritz) ?

That makes them a competitor to C-S, which is even more amazing that Big Shot held the DPSU brands for this long.

Yes, they are a subsidiary of National (I just read it in their annual report).