PDA

View Full Version : How I Would Revitalize the "Crush" line

Concord Hubbins
01-07-2002, 10:21 PM
As much as I adore the Crush beverage, I feel they have one foot in the grave and the other is maneuvering into place.

With that said, I offer the following suggestions to uptick Crush's cool quotient a few million notches.

1. Equate "Crush" with aggression. Crush is a violent word and if played right, a Crush rebrand that embraced a harder edged vibe would score well with the mook and midriff demos.

2. Embrace "now" flavors.

Orange, grape, pineapple, and et al are so old school. Additionally, Asians are the fastest growing demographic in this country. Put these two together, and I say it's time to eyeball some new flaves-- such as;

dragonfruit, starfruit, asian pear, mangosteen, durian, rambutan. . .

I know Zotics has a lot of these flavors, but their products are bland, corn syrup addled crap. If you want to try new school flavors, don't flirt-- COMMIT!!!!!

3. Fork over some ducats to a high end design firm like frog or Landor and come up with some packaging that will be more tempting to teens than crack to your average LA prostitute. Think AMP that tastes good without the dodgy liquid speed angle.

4. Get New Hollywood on board. Bribe some of today's hottest young stars to order it at their favorite hot spots-- maybe with some alcoholic bev mixed in. Next thing you know, kids from Keokuk to Aames will be swilling this to be "kewl."

CH

boodoo
01-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Right on Concord, but what must happen first is for someone to pry the brand away from CS where it continues to perish. It needs to be in the hands of an aggressive hot-shot who is willing to take a calculated risk.

Next I would place it in the hands of the independent distributor network and get it out of the broker system. If I could get Crush in glass bottles at a reasonable price it would be in my warehouse right now. This brand still has good name recognition but may soon be lost.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: boodoo ]</p>

sodasommelier
01-08-2002, 10:17 PM
I can't complain; I sell literally thousands of cases of Crush in glass bottles and people absolutely love it! It's pretty reasonably priced compared to other glass products; actually, I really have to hand it to CS for being a little more flexible than Coke and Pepsi.

assclown
06-28-2002, 05:56 PM
Crush is one of my favorite beverages. I like to mix it with milk to make drinkable push up pops.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Crush is available in 16oz bottles from Intrastate Distributors, Detroit, MI.

It's not bottled in those cheesy 12oz bottles in darien illinois

Tom

PS - what's with bringing up all of the old topics? specifically Concord Hubbins topics? Just curious...

Floridapopman
06-29-2002, 10:27 AM
As long as Crush is owned by CS, it's going be distributed via the warehouse/broker system.

Why support a brand though a soft drink house and spend all these marketing dollars to compete against your flagship brand (Sunkist, Welch's etc.) when you just pay your slotting fee, check your retails to be competitive and make money.

assclown
08-16-2002, 06:48 PM
I have no idea what you are talkin' about Floridapopman!

Hacksaw
08-16-2002, 08:12 PM
Crush should go BACK to their old formluas, with REAL sugar and former ingredients(except like Red dye #2). Crush Grape was absolutely divine in the 70's. Even the Mexican Crush now is down a few notches. Some more new flavors may not hurt, BUT: Finding shelf space may a problem today.

fizzbizz
08-16-2002, 09:12 PM
The issue with CS and Crush has everything to do with distribution. The 7 UP bottlers lead brand is Sunkist. Pepsi has Slice and Coke has MM. The only alternative is warehouse/broker. I still think there's a Pepsi play in there somewhere. CS has a valuable Trademark that is going no place and Pepsi needs a real orange.

assclown
08-20-2002, 04:53 PM
I think the artifical orange thing is like totally played out. Wood resin and citric acid do not an orange make.

Jon Marc Skink
04-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Right on!

GrapeCrush
04-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Am I just lucky to work at a store that sells it now, or is Crush on the upswing, marketwise? We at Giant Eagle supermarket in PA sold 24-pack cans since I moved from California in 7/2000. We stopped in late 2002 sometime. But last week, I started noticing tons and tons of oddly shaped 20 ounce or so glass bottles in Grape, Orange and some ones I'd never seen, Cherry and Pineapple. I like them all (but pineapple, which I havent had), but seem to recall a bit more carbonation. The grape just didnt quite do it for me nostalgia-wise. It's still good, and sort of Crushy, but seems a bit flatter and seems to have corn syrup, as someone alluded to. I'd really like to try a can of grape Crush, to see if it's different in a can.

I like the labeling, both old and new, though it took a while to get used to it.

datruth
04-20-2003, 11:10 PM
We need more info glass? How many oz??

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-21-2003, 08:36 AM
i bet they are 16oz glass made by intrastate distributors, detroit, MI. good stuff. tastes excellent. they also make that honey lemonade stuff as well as frosttop rootbeer. they used to make the dad's in the glass as well.

teamtitan512
04-23-2003, 07:44 PM
I doubt Crush will be revitalized anytime soon, if ever. Problem is unless there's some odd possession rights in your region, you're going to see Sunkist. I don't know of anywhere where the CS products are still controlled by Coke, the old Herbco area opened a door for Crush, but CS picked up Sunkist off Coke, and they started Fanta up. Pepsi has Slice universal, so they're not going to make a play. If I even see Crush, it's a special promo item in 6 pack 12 oz. glass bottles, and we see those maybe for one week a year in some kind of Wal-Mart sale.

drpep
04-23-2003, 10:13 PM
I don't know about the rest of Ontario but Crush is all over Niagara Falls with at least 6-10 flavours.

ben
03-24-2004, 02:40 AM
crush ornage is very rare here in mami ( i think DPSU boattles it)

USF SPAMMER 1
07-04-2005, 11:24 PM
You alls is speakin troof!

riot
07-06-2005, 05:38 AM
i wish coke would just buy crush, and scrap it's plans to revive fanta. "crush" just sounds way more appetizing. smile.gif