PDA

View Full Version : Diet Coke w/ Splenda

videoman
04-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Picked up a 12pk of cans today.

First impression: Tastes kinda like...Pepsi? Ok, not entirely like Pepsi, but it's a little Pepsi-esqe. More sweet and less of a bite than regular Diet Coke.

Android
04-30-2005, 04:29 PM
I think Coke's going to confuse more consumers by having too many varieties of their diet/reduced calorie sodas. C'mon - "Diet Coke", Diet Coke "with Splenda" Then there's "C2", and "Coke Zero" is still forthcoming, right?

andy

ramonazo
05-01-2005, 04:15 AM
Yeah, there's a huge extension of Coke low-cal products, and many people here think that the confusion will be increased with the launching of Diet Coke with splenda, but I think that Coca-Cola does this to give a chance to a group of people who can't drink regular Diet Coke: Phenylketonurics.

[ 05-01-2005, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

SamC
05-01-2005, 07:58 AM
I see by your profile you are located in Atlanta. I assume that this is the first place for the nationwide roll out.

Personally, I think that Diet Coke With Splenda will slowly replace Diet Coke with whatever as regular Diet Coke in a very short term.

C2 is, as predicted, a failure and will go away. Coke Zero is for hard core Coke lovers, as it will, I believe, really taste like Coke, not New "Coke" like Diet Coke does.

NewColaLover
05-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Has anyone else seen this around where they live? I just picked up a 12pk (Hiller's in Ann Arbor) of Pepsi Lime. And I acutally really enjoyed it!

tekelberry
05-02-2005, 02:13 AM
It's been showing up in single serve 20 oz bottles & single serve 12 oz bottles in various locations around Milwaukee. I haven't seen it yet in multipacks. It's quite an improvement over the original Diet Coke in my opinion.

[ 05-02-2005, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: tekelberry ]

KevinGrevey
05-03-2005, 07:52 AM
I'm going to try and stear clear of this stuff. Splenda gives me cramps and makes me feel really bloated. A lot of people get various side effects from it.

ecliptic
05-03-2005, 09:10 PM
It's my favorite new diet pop. It will be replacing my Pepsi One when it gets in 2-liters.

Taste's absolutely nothing like Pepsi. The Coke spice is very prominent in the flavor. Coke is sweeter than Pepsi. This does have the Splenda sweetness as with Pepsi One. The spice lingers with the sweetness which makes a really good after taste.

I taste's more like Diet Coca Cola than regular Diet Coke does.

[ 05-03-2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: ecliptic ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-03-2005, 10:04 PM
I can't wait to try them both.

iluvsurge220
05-03-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm not a diet pop drinker, but I agree with those who think there are too many diet cokes out now. Whenever I go into a gas station or convienient store looking for something to drink, I have a hard time finding it because they fill up a whole refigerator or two with all four or five versions of diet coke they have. That's way too many and it makes things inconvienient for people who are looking for something else. They need to get rid of some of these. There is no reason, that I know of, to have so many versions of the same drink.

mjb1124
05-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by KevinGrevey:
I'm going to try and stear clear of this stuff. Splenda gives me cramps and makes me feel really bloated. A lot of people get various side effects from it. I do seem to feel more "full" when drinking Splenda-sweetened drinks, as opposed to aspartame-sweetened ones. Not as much so as with the sugary stuff, though.

Acheron
05-04-2005, 07:53 AM
We have a display cooler filled with 12oz plastic bottles of the stuff. Not usually a fan of nonflavored diet colas, but this wasn't too bad. It's pretty easy to over-Splenda something, but I think they got it just right. Maybe because it has ace-k in it as well.

KevinGrevey
05-04-2005, 08:16 AM
I also find that Splenda drinks have a chemical-ish aftertaste. Do others feel the same, or no?

fusion
05-04-2005, 03:17 PM
I had my first bottle today -- I can't taste any chemical aftertaste.

Though I wish that Coke would reconsider and put Splenda in Coke Zero.. they'd have a winner with that one.

I can easily see this formulation replacing the current Diet Coke.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by fusion:

Though I wish that Coke would reconsider and put Splenda in Coke Zero.. they'd have a winner with that one.

I can easily see this formulation replacing the current Diet Coke. I can't see it. Splenda's too expensive, and all the antitrust lawsuits to all the pollution lawsuits against sucralose manufacturers. there could be a lot of hidden costs arising soon.

fusion
05-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Well, once generic sucralose hits the market, prices will drop. Time will tell on the lawsuits, though.

KevinGrevey
05-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fusion:

I can easily see this formulation replacing the current Diet Coke. I can't see it. Splenda's too expensive, and all the antitrust lawsuits to all the pollution lawsuits against sucralose manufacturers. there could be a lot of hidden costs arising soon. </font>[/QUOTE]I posted an article in the Free For All board about the environmental concerns regarding Splenda. These concerns, plus the lawsuits will make it an interesting ride for this product in the near future.

mjb1124
05-05-2005, 11:04 AM
I just tried this and I don't know if it was just an issue with the particular bottle I had, but I thought this had a horribly bitter underlying taste. I'd actually call it a "before-taste" because with every sip, I'd taste this bitterness first and then get the sweetness as I was swallowing it.

SuperAmmo
05-05-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't understand why they just don't make the switch to Splenda in everything already.

If Coke Zero is based off the "real Coke," then I want the best tasting real Coke possible. It's a mistake for them NOT to put Splenda in it. They should also put it in every diet cola they have.

That being said, Diet Coke w/ Splenda is pretty darn good. Unfortunately I was too young when New Coke was out, so I only remember Coca Cola Classic, and if Diet Coke truly is based off New Coke, then New Coke was pretty darn good, I'd say.

Robot
05-05-2005, 05:24 PM
i tried diet coke wtih splenda..

its kinda funny as diet coke was based on new coke i believe..

and this is with splenda making it taste more like regular stuff..

so, diet coke with splenda is like COKE II on the shelves again, and it tastes like coke II from what I can remember!

mjb1124
05-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Earlier today I mixed some Diet w/ Splenda with some regular Diet Coke from a fountain, and the mix tasted a heck of a lot like C2.

billygtexas
05-05-2005, 11:54 PM
I had my first bottle at Wal-Mart today. They had it in the coolers by the registers but not in the store racks yet. From the sweet taste, it seems like Coke wants to steal away Diet Pepsi's fans.

Good Stuff, not as bitter as aspertame Diet Coke, but less sweet than Diet Pepsi, which I always thought was artifical sweetener overkill.

The taste reminded me a lot of Diet RC, which also uses Splenda, but much smoother and much more drinkable. Not watered down and bland like Diet Rite Cola.

I think it will be a huge hit, not only with people who dont want aspertame in thier sodas, but with people who usually dont drink diet sodas, much better than Coke C2 did.

It may chase the old Diet Coke off the shelves for good, and force Pepsi, Dr.Pepper/7up and Private label companies to use Splenda in all thier diet soda products. I wonder what Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Mountain Dew would taste like with Splenda?

[ 05-06-2005, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Robot
05-06-2005, 03:06 PM
i wish they did a mountain dew with splenda... would be delish...

PepsiBlue
05-06-2005, 10:33 PM
I remember when Diet Mountain Dew had nutrasweet

SamC
05-07-2005, 06:09 AM
I found a bottle today. Excelent. Far superior to ordinary Diet Coke.

chrisok
05-07-2005, 03:28 PM
I thought tasted very similar to Diet RC and to a lesser extent Diet Rite as well.

Look In The Tunk
05-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Finally found some today at Wal Mart. It's not as "harsh" as regular Diet Coke, but I'll stick to my flavored Diet Cokes though (cherry, lemon, vanilla and to a lesser extent lime) .

No Soda
05-08-2005, 02:11 PM
I just tried Diet Coke w/Splenda. I found it to be weak flavored with hints of lemon and even chocolate. It just confirmed my view that there's no substitute for sweet, tooth-rotting sugar or HFCS.

PepsiBlue
05-08-2005, 06:30 PM
tried it today, i hate normal diet coke, this is such a better step
but as the other reply stay if im drinking diet ill stick to the flvaored ones

mjb1124
05-08-2005, 10:29 PM
I wasn't impressed the first time I tried this, but now I'm becoming addicted to this stuff.

And no, I don't taste any chocolate :rolleyes:

Robot
05-09-2005, 06:03 AM
dont taste any chocolate or lemon, and am a daily drinker of almost all diet colas....

tastes alot like coke II to me... not exact, but VERy similar.. like 85% similar.. if you want to taste coke 2, pick up diet coke with splenda and you basically have it..

loses alot of the charm of diet coke normal, if you get addicted to regular diet coke, i dont see why you'd like this, however, its very good on its own right..

personally, i cant wait for coke zero..

hoffy
05-09-2005, 09:27 AM
this is on coca-cola's web site, http://www2.coca-cola.com/presscenter/newproducts.html . for all of you wanting to know about zero to splenda diet coke. diet coke splenda was anounced february 7, 2005 for production in the 2nd. quarter and zero was introduced almost 2 months later on march 21, 2005. these are 2 different products and here are the 2 letters from coca-cola.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Scott Williamson
The Coca-Cola Company
404-676-2683

COCA-COLA ANNOUNCES PLANS TO LAUNCH
DIET COKE SWEETENED WITH SPLENDA®

New Line Extension Will Be Offered In Addition To Diet Coke

ATLANTA, February 7, 2005 – Coca-Cola North America today announced that it will introduce Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda® in the United States in the second quarter of 2005.
Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda will be the seventh addition to the
Diet Coke family, which includes the flagship Diet Coke, America’s #1 diet soft drink, plus Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Lime, Diet Coke with Lemon, Diet Cherry Coke, and Diet Vanilla Coke.
“Many consumers told us they liked the taste of Splenda and wanted a Splenda-sweetened option under the Diet Coke brand, so we’re obliging them,” said Dan Dillon, Jr., vice president, Diet Portfolio, Coca-Cola North America. “The millions of current Diet Coke devotees across America shouldn’t be concerned – the Diet Coke they love will stay just as it is.”
The launch of Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda follows the successful roll out one year ago of Diet Coke with Lime, which has become the #1 flavored diet cola in America. The launch continues a year of innovation for
The Coca-Cola Company which will include a range of offerings across all beverage categories.
Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda will feature a blend of Splenda and acesulfame potassium (ace-k) for optimal taste. It will be available in a range of package sizes and will be supported by a variety of marketing programs. Further details on launch plans will be made available closer to the introduction.
-more-
Page 2 of 2

The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage company. Along with Coca-Cola, recognized as the world's best-known brand, the Company markets four of the world's top five soft drink brands, including Diet Coke, Fanta and Sprite, and a wide range of other beverages, including diet and light soft drinks, waters, juices and juice drinks, teas, coffees and sports drinks. Through the world's largest distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate exceeding 1 billion servings each day.
For more information about The Coca-Cola Company, please visit our website at www.coca-cola.com. (http://www.coca-cola.com.)

###

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Scott Williamson
The Coca-Cola Company
404-676-2683

COCA-COLA ANNOUNCES PLANS
TO LAUNCH COCA-COLA ZERO

Real Coca-Cola Taste With Zero Calories
Offers New Option For Cola Lovers

ATLANTA, March 21, 2005 – Coca-Cola North America today announced that it will introduce Coca-Cola Zero, a new zero-calorie cola, in the United States in June.
“Coca-Cola Zero is exactly what young adults told us they wanted – real Coca-Cola taste, zero calories and a new brand they can call their own,” said Dan Dillon, vice president, Diet Portfolio, Coca-Cola North America. “Young people today do not want to compromise on flavor or calories and we think
Coca-Cola Zero’s taste and personality will appeal to them.”
Coca-Cola Zero will be supported by an extensive marketing campaign including television, radio, print, and out-of-home advertising, on-line activation, and sampling programs. “Coca-Cola Zero’s personality will be different than any of our other brands, and our marketing will reflect that with some fresh ideas we haven’t tried before,” said Christine Holland, director of marketing,
Coca-Cola Zero. Further details on marketing plans will be made available closer to the introduction.

- more -

Page 2 of 2
For the curious who can’t wait until June for their first taste of
Coca-Cola Zero, a special Coca-Cola Zero sample pack will be listed on eBay, the World’s ****** Marketplace, in early April. All proceeds from the listing will be donated to charity. The sample pack will come with six unique bottles of Coca-Cola Zero and limited edition Coca-Cola Zero-branded premiums. The charity auction marks the first time The Coca-Cola Company has offered any new product on eBay prior to launching it nationally. For further information on the charity auction visit the Coca-Cola Zero website at www.cocacolazero.com. (http://www.cocacolazero.com.)
Coca-Cola Zero will be sweetened with a blend of aspartame and acesulfame potassium (ace-k), and will be available in a broad range of package sizes. The launch of Coca-Cola Zero will have no impact on Coca-Cola North America’s ongoing support for Diet Coke, America’s #1 diet soft drink, as the target audiences are different.
The launch of Coca-Cola Zero continues a year of innovation for
Coca-Cola North America, including a range of new product offerings across all beverage categories. Full Throttle energy drink, Coca-Cola with Lime, and Dasani Lemon and Dasani Raspberry flavored waters have already been launched, with Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda as well as Coca-Cola Zero slated for later this year, as well as new packaging for POWERade.
The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage company. Along with Coca-Cola, recognized as the world's best-known brand, the Company markets four of the world's top five soft drink brands, including Diet Coke, Fanta and Sprite, and a wide range of other beverages, including diet and light soft drinks, waters, juices and juice drinks, teas, coffees and sports drinks. Through the world's largest distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate exceeding 1 billion servings each day.
For more information about The Coca-Cola Company, please visit our website at www.coca-cola.com. (http://www.coca-cola.com.)

###

KevinGrevey
05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
No one else has any problems with Splenda? It never seems to sit well with me when I have it? I can't get past the side effects, or else I might try it.

RDOGG
05-09-2005, 10:44 AM
I tried Diet Coke with Splenda--it tastes like Coke with a really bad aftertaste im not in love with it--does anyone know the release date of Mountain Dew ElectroCution??

I have seen it in 12 packs at my shoprite it is 2 for 5 dollars

[ 05-09-2005, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: RDOGG ]

jmyjunk
05-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Arrived in Boulder Colorado this past week at Safeway, have not seen it at King Soopers yet.

Overall the product tastes good. But it really does not have a distinct difference, to me, in flavor from regular diet coke. With the exception of a lack of aspartame taste.
Nothing flashy, but nothing that really sets it apart.

Chad.
05-09-2005, 11:51 AM
this is one of the worst diet sodas i have ever had, it is not good at all, im not a big fan of reular diet coke, but i think it tastes much better than this

KevinGrevey
05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
What is Mountain Dew ElectroCution? What's that supposed to be? anyways, the Splenda has such a chemical aftertaste that coupled with the headaches and cramp, it's just not worth it to me.

sodacec
05-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by SamC:
I found a bottle today. Excelent. Far superior to ordinary Diet Coke. Hiya Sam... I definitely agree with you. This is the frist time I can say I'm looking forward to buying more of a non-flavored diet Coke product. Unless it was the only soda around you'd never find me with a non-flavored Diet Coke in my hands, but this stuff might change that. It's the first product with the label "Diet Coke" on it that comes palpably close to regular Coke. For me, Diet Coke's primary problem was that it just tasted like super-sweet carbonated water with no practically bite or 'personality' While the Splenda sweetener taste is noticeable in this new version, it seems to enhance rather than mask the spicy Coca-Cola flavor that Diet Coke never had until this tasty new product. (It actually reminds me somewhat of Pepsi Edge, which I actually like much better than regular Pepsi for the same reason. It tastes 'spicier', sweeter and more zesty to me in the same vein as this new Diet Coke). In fact, the aroma is very close to regular Coke and the near-empty bottle I'm drinking now smells exactly like regular Coke)

I hope this stuff does well...I can't wait to try Coke Zero...Hope they'll use Splenda there as well...

The Interpreter
05-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Coke Zero will NOT have Splenda.

Sorry! smile.gif

yettilite
05-11-2005, 09:19 AM
I had a bottle of Diet Coke with Splenda last night, thought it tasted amazingly similar to Coca Cola Classic, they've really done themselves right after the disaster of C2. Looking forward to the new Mt Dew product.

Robot
05-11-2005, 01:15 PM
diet coke with splenda should taste NOTHING like coke classic, it is not based on coke classic at all, and should taste nearly like Coke II/New Coke.

C2 tastes a hell of alot more liek coke classic as, it is coke classic with some artificial sweetener combo mixed in instead of half of the sugar...

diet coke with splenda is total splenda, based on the diet coke formula which is based on the new coke formula.

personally, i really liked c2 but it was still too many carbs, so i am really looking forward to coke zero..

i like diet coke with splenda, but prefer regular diet coke... pepsi one &gt; diet coke with splenda in terms of the sweeter, splenda blend diets.

ColaFan
05-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I tried it today and it does have more lemon notes.... probably in an attempt to hide the splenda taste. In short, it does not work and the chemical sweetener comes thru. Pepsi One tastes much better. less aftertaste and yet much sweeter. Seems they can make it more sweet with less aftertaste. Coke is less sweet with more aftertaste. Hmmmmm
That's just my 2 cents

Robot
05-11-2005, 09:24 PM
best regular cola: coke classic
best diet (aspartame): diet coke
best diet (splenda): pepsi one

^^^ all my opinion of course... and I expect coke zero to really be amazing stuff, i hope!

KevinGrevey
05-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ColaFan:
I tried it today and it does have more lemon notes.... probably in an attempt to hide the splenda taste. In short, it does not work and the chemical sweetener comes thru. Pepsi One tastes much better. less aftertaste and yet much sweeter. Seems they can make it more sweet with less aftertaste. Coke is less sweet with more aftertaste. Hmmmmm
That's just my 2 cents Okay, I actually tried it, and I shouldn't have. I felt awful afterwards and could definitely notice the chemical taste of the Splenda. I won't try this again.

bevjim
05-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by SuperAmmo:
I don't understand why they just don't make the switch to Splenda in everything already.Diet Coke is the most popular softdrink in the world. It would be a huge mistake to risk losing their market share. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Diet Coke w/Splenda is designed to get a new additional customer base that doesn't want aspartame. A total replacement wouldn't happen for a very, very long time.

jmyjunk
05-12-2005, 10:20 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ColaFan:
That's just my 2 cents Okay, I actually tried it, and I shouldn't have. I felt awful afterwards and could definitely notice the chemical taste of the Splenda. I won't try this again. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, I thought it was me. But everytime I drink a splenda flavored drink, I get a headache. I guess that is what has but me off pepsi one. Oh well.

Refreshed Magicman
05-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't know why some are claiming confusion with all the Diet Coke versions, it's really not that hard to figure out their portfolio. There's Diet Coke for the hard core diet driners with zero calories, then there's C2 which is half the calories. Diet Coke with Splenda is for people who alergic or can't have aspertame, like my mom. My mom is diabetic and the doctor told her to stay away from anything with aspertame, she tried the new Diet Coke with Spelnda and fell in love with it. On top of that her doctor blessed it. My sister on the other hand didn't even try it because she's been drinking nothing but regular Diet Coke for the last 20+ years.

ramonazo
05-12-2005, 06:13 PM
That's true, many people can't drink or eat stuff with aspartame, for example Phenylketonurics, and Diet Coke with Splenda is a great option for them.

[ 05-12-2005, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

tim_rush
05-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I like Diet Coke with Splenda. It does not have the aftertaste that Diet Coke has. I am a newbie and have not had a chance to browse this site. Does anyone know, will Diet Coke with Splenda continue to be a flavor or will it replace the old formula Diet Coke?

XLS_04
05-14-2005, 05:10 AM
the old diet coke will still be sold as well.
caffeine free diet coke with splenda is already in the rumor mill for next year. i'm not sure if that will replace the old caffeine free version however.

Coke04
05-14-2005, 03:53 PM
My thoughts exactly, yettilite. Sweeter, more flavor, no aftertaste.

This is my new diet soda.

Coke04
05-14-2005, 03:56 PM
BTW, has anyone heard how this is selling? I image quite well.

XLS_04
05-16-2005, 01:06 AM
I can finally drink diet coke now, although you can still taste some synthetic after taste in it for some reason. Pepsi One seems to not have as much after taste though. These newer sweetners they come out with are tasting closer and closer to regular sugar.

DrPepper86
05-20-2005, 09:44 PM
I liked Diet Coke with Splenda much better, doesnt have that yucky diet taste.

mjb1124
05-21-2005, 02:58 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here but I think Diet Coke w/ Splenda is the best diet cola ever. I think Pepsi One is too sweet and, contrary to what other people have said, has more of an aftertaste. As for the original Diet Coke - I've gotten used to the taste thanks to it being the only diet soda available in a lot of places, but I'd still take pretty much any other diet soda (cola or otherwise) over it.

ColaFan
05-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Tried it again yesterday with a friend and she too thought it was a Coke with Lemon. It was her 1st time trying this new product and she is a long time diet coke fan. To her.... it did not taste anything like diet coke. She was hoping for the same flavor as diet coke, just with a different sweetener. Obviously it's not and has a very different flavor. I am sure some people will like this new lemon coke with splenda..... but I think my friend is a font of what the average consumer will be thinking and expecting. Even the C2 tried for the classic Coke taste. Too bad this new version does not have that great tasting classic "Coke" flavor.

Mr Zabe
05-27-2005, 10:43 AM
ColaFan,
Your friend sorta in a non scientific way LOL proves my point that long time drinkers of Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi have non negotiable diet cola taste buds. For years,drinking a cold Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi (original aspartame formula) was and is a soothing and refreshing experience.

Anything other than the original is like trying to feed a two week old infant with lemon aid instead of mother's milk.

Zabe

golee1
05-27-2005, 08:24 PM
I think you might be right about that. A lot of people I've talked to more or less say it doesn't taste diet-y enough, or it is too sweet. Personally I didn't like it too much, it tastes too weak to me, similar to Diet Rite. I like my diet sodas to have a little kick to them.

mjb1124
05-27-2005, 10:26 PM
I guess those of you who are expecting it to taste like either Coke Classic or the original Diet Coke are going to be disappointed, but I've welcomed this new taste with open arms. And I definately think it's better than Diet Rite.

DietCokeWSplendaFraudReallyOldTab
06-01-2005, 10:26 PM
COCA COLA IS LYING AGAIN

newdietcokewithsplendaistab@yahoo.com

AOL IM DietCokeSplenBad

BAD BAD BAD BAD COKE For trying to fool the public- Thousands of bloggers all cant be wrong.

New Diet Coke With Splenda is Really Old Tab that tasted awful and original Tab drinkers would never touch.

It has that same sickening sweet taste it always did, but with Splenda the sickening feeling stys in your throat for almost ever.

There are TONS of references in Google to support this observation, and hte product has just been released.
A call to Coca Cola National call center says that they havent changed anything in the Diet COke formula except exchanging the Nutrasweet for Splenda.
COKE - Pull it from the shelves before it is a bigger deal than it is now.

:screwy
COKE LIES COKE LIES COKE LIES COKE LIES
Thanks for your reply.

Actually the original Tab was my only choice of all "diet" drinks.

In 1984 they not only changed the sweetener, as you mentioned, but the base formulation as well.

It became almost a baby formula taste in sweetness which continued until this last mix of Diet Cokes. Their (Tab) market share fell by almost 25% within 2 months of the change in '84 . Most Tab drinkers slid to either Diet Coke or other brands. Kinda like when Diet Rite eliminated caffeine and their market share fell.

You will also recall COKE tried the reformulation on the regular Coke crowd and within days screams were heard in Atlanta re their drastic drop in market share in mainstream Coke. SO we then had "Classic" Coke, or their major player would have died.

"Tabbie" were not as vocal and we got 0 zero zilch nada, in exchange for our complaints. Check a Google search for the past 30 days and see the TONS of regular Diet Coke heads that have figured out within one sip that this Spenda'd thing is horrible or even worse, most have figured out it is only Tab in a different can or bottle with Splenda.

Coke national swears the Diet Coke formulation is the same except for the sweetener. THey lie.

I drink probably 4-6 cans of Diet Coke a day, as well as decaf and regular coffee and tea with Splenda. Splenda make a Diet Coke taste bad. Coke made the formulation bad.

BTW, Coke is continuing regular Diet Coke along side the NEW one with Splenda.

After 45 years of lower to upper mgmt corporate life, I know when they lie and this time they LIE! :banghead:
================================================== =======
http://www.answers.com/topic/coca-cola
New Coke to the present

New Coke stirred up a controversy when it replaced the original Coca-Cola in 1985. Coca-Cola Classic was reinstated within a few months of New Coke's introduction into the market.
In 1985, Coca-Cola, amid much publicity, attempted to change the formula of the drink. Some authorities believe that New Coke, as the reformulated drink was called, was invented specifically to respond to its commercial competitor, Pepsi. Double-blind taste tests indicated that most consumers preferred the taste of Pepsi (which has more lemon oil, less orange oil, and uses vanillin rather than vanilla) to Coke. New Coke was reformulated in a way that emulated Pepsi. Follow-up taste tests revealed that most consumers preferred the taste of New Coke to both Coke and Pepsi. The reformulation was led by the then-CEO of the company, Roberto Goizueta, and the President Don Keough.
It is unclear what part long-time company president Robert W. Woodruff played in the reformulation. Goizueta claims that Woodruff endorsed it a few months before his death in 1985; others have pointed out that, as the two men were alone when the matter was discussed, Goizueta might have misinterpreted the wishes of the dying Woodruff, who could speak only in monosyllables. It has also been alleged that Woodruff might not have been able to understand what Goizueta was telling him.
The commercial failure of New Coke therefore came as a grievous blow to the management of the Coca-Cola Corporation. It is possible that customers would not have noticed the change if it had been made secretly or gradually, and thus brand loyalty could have been maintained. Coca-Cola management was unprepared, however, for the nostalgic sentiments the drink aroused in the American public; some compared changing the Coke formula to rewriting the American Constitution.
The new Coca-Cola formula subsequently caused a public backlash. Gay Mullins, from Seattle, Washington, founded the Old Coke Drinkers of America organization, which attempted to sue the company, and lobbied for the formula of Old Coke to be released into the public domain. This and other protests caused the company to return to the old formula under the name Coca-Cola Classic on July 10, 1985. The company was later accused of performing this volte-face as an elaborate ruse to introduce a new product while reviving interest in the original. The company president responded to the accusation by declaring: "We are not that stupid, or that smart."
The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest consumer of natural vanilla extract. When New Coke was introduced in 1985, this had a severe impact on the economy of Madagascar, a prime vanilla exporter, since New Coke used vanillin, a less-expensive synthetic substitute. Purchases of vanilla more than halved during this period. But the flop of New Coke brought a recovery.
Meanwhile, the market share for New Coke had dwindled to only 3% by 1986. The company renamed the product "Coke II" in 1992 (not to be confused with "Coke C2", a reduced-sugar cola launched by Coca-Cola in 2004). However, sales falloff caused a severe cutback in distribution. By 1998, it was sold in only a few places in the midwestern U.S.
On February 7, 2005, the Coca-Cola Company announced that in the second quarter of 2005 they planned a launch of a Diet Coke product sweetened with the artificial sweetener sucralose ("Splenda"), the same sweetener currently used in Pepsi One. On March 21, 2005, it announced still another diet product, "Coca-Cola Zero," sweetened partly with a blend of aspartame and acesulfame potassium.

XLS_04
06-02-2005, 04:24 AM
stop trying to start rumors. all they did was use a different sweetener. THATS IT!

PhillySteve
06-02-2005, 11:49 AM
I have to agree somewhat with him. There is absolutely no way that all they did was change the sweetner. It has a different flavor than Diet Coke. They did change the formula. Whether it's an old Tab formula, who knows, but whatever it is I think it's a big improvement over regular Diet Coke.

06-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Get a recent can of TAB that the market rejected just as they did "new" coke 2x and get a "just" released can of Diet COke with Splenda. It's nearly the same product.

Mr Zabe
06-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Just to remind the young people, TAB was at one time Coke's gold standard. I remember drinking TAB out of the bottle with my Mom as she smoked her Merit smokes.

Many Baby Bloomers drank TAB religiously. Do I like the way the original TAB tastes now? No I don't. I still as a long time consumer of pop have TAB memories.

My point is that taste is also associated with memory. Could Coke be trying to plug into Baby Boomer's found memories. Yes once again I may be waxing the surf board idiot. smile.gif

Zabe

[ 06-02-2005, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

mjb1124
06-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Actually, I thought I've read at some point that TaB and Diet Coke were the same formula. In any case, I like the taste of Diet Coke with Splenda and will keep drinking it.

06-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks about Original Tab. It was a crisp taste that Coke should have left alone. In 1984 they changed the formulation and the sweetener and us Tabbies ran from it.

Now Coke is trying the same thing "never do the fingers leave the hands" routine with Diet COke with Splenda, but is really the horror Tab we wouldnt drink.

The claim nothing has been done to the formula only the sweetener. Just remember the Classic Coke debacle. It is taking place again.

XLS_04
06-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by DietCokeWSplendaFraudReallyOldTab:
Thanks about Original Tab. It was a crisp taste that Coke should have left alone. In 1984 they changed the formulation and the sweetener and us Tabbies ran from it.thats why there are so many people that travel cross the country just to buy this version of TaB that was changed 21 years ago. you would be suprised by how many people still think it uses saccarin, and everyone that did have it in the house growing up said it was awful.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-02-2005, 10:13 PM
tab = totally artifical beverage?

OSpencerO
06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I Love Diet Coke with Splenda!!! smile.gif

Spencer

Empire State Buddy
06-05-2005, 10:41 PM
i've tried diet coke with splenda a couple times and... it's definitely smoother than regular diet coke. and, most of the people i've seen drinking it... like it better than the original diet coke. my guess is it will sell really well. and within a couple years, will outsell original diet coke.

still, i'm looking more forward to coke zero. i like the taste of C2... since it tastes more like "classic"... so i'm hoping zero will taste something like that.

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 07:49 AM
i'm drinking a can of DC w/ Splenda right now and... i'm still not sure how i feel about it... i mean, it doesn't have the bitter aftertaste of DC, but... it doesn't really to have any real "taste" at all... just "sweetness."

i'm really hoping i'll like Zero better... hoping that it will actually taste like Coca-Cola Classic in SOME way... smile.gif

Empire State Buddy
06-08-2005, 11:15 PM
well... i've been drinking DCwS all week and... it's growing on me. definitely easier to drink than "old" DC.

still, i'm hoping i'll like Zero even better. smile.gif

Mr Zabe
06-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Gee usually Chicago gets new roll outs of food and drink pretty quick. I did see 20oz bottles of Diet Coke with splenda. I have not tried it as I'm waiting for a promotional sale. I will not pay $1 for a 20oz bottle of unknown likability. LMAO (I'm a frugal &lt;cheap&gt; *poor* consumer of pop.)LOL

Empire State Buddy
06-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Gee usually Chicago gets new roll outs of food and drink pretty quick. I did see 20oz bottles of Diet Coke with splenda. I have not tried it as I'm waiting for a promotional sale. I will not pay $1 for a 20oz bottle of unknown likability. LMAO (I'm a frugal &lt;cheap&gt; *poor* consumer of pop.)LOL don't worry about it. i'm sure it will be EVERYWHERE soon enough. i found a 12 pack of cans last week at one store (in nyc), but other stores don't have it yet. it's all hit or miss.

and, so far, no sign of zero at all.

Corey
06-09-2005, 06:45 AM
Whats the difference in ingredients between.

Diet Coke w/ Splenda

Coke Zero

Is Coke Zero just a New Name Concept

To allow Males to Feel better about drinking a diet product?

The Interpreter
06-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Read through the threads here to start!

Diet Coke with Splenda is just that Diet Coke WITH Splenda. Diet Coke is based on the old "New Coke" formula, which was made to emulate Pepsi. Diet Coke with Splenda is sweetened with...what else?...Splenda.

Coke Zero is sweetened with Aspartame (some critics here who claim adverse health effects can't even spell the word!) and ACE K (which is also known as Sunnett). It is based on the Classic Coke formula, and is the first diet version from Coke made to taste like "The Real Thing."

Coke Zero is far more than a new name concept.

That is, if it exists at all, which I am almost beginning to wonder! smile.gif

Empire State Buddy
06-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by The Interpreter:

Coke Zero is far more than a new name concept.

That is, if it exists at all, which I am almost beginning to wonder! smile.gif LOL @ wondering if it even exists at all. smile.gif

hmm. i wonder why they just didn't call it "diet classic" or something like that. i mean, coke zero sounds cool and everything... but i bet a lot of people pick it up... not knowing it's diet... and are in for a surprise.

i mean, even if it tastes decent... it's not going to taste any better than C2 (which i LOVE by the way)... so...

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-09-2005, 04:41 PM
LOL

XLS_04
06-10-2005, 04:40 AM
The purpose of this beverage was to get teenagers and young adults that prefer the taste of regular Coke over the sweeter taste of Diet Coke to be able to drink a diet cola but without the name diet on it. It will also very similar to the Coke C2 mix as well but without the calories this time.

While the plain color scheme might have a stale feeling from the 90s, it gives teenagers and young adults a feeling of independence while drinking it. They want to feel as if they are not drinking something that was around in their parents generation.

It was never intended as a male or female drink. There is simply no such thing as a male or female drink in the Coca-Cola soda company.

That is the idea behind it, whether it will be a hit or not remains uncertain.

The Interpreter
06-10-2005, 06:40 AM
I cannot imagine that this will NOT be a hit.

It wouldn't surprise me if, within 10 years, it outsells Diet Coke, and perhaps even Coke itself.

Empire State Buddy
06-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
The purpose of this beverage was to get teenagers and young adults that prefer the taste of regular Coke over the sweeter taste of Diet Coke to be able to drink a diet cola but without the name diet on it. It will also very similar to the Coke C2 mix as well but without the calories this time.

While the plain color scheme might have a stale feeling from the 90s, it gives teenagers and young adults a feeling of independence while drinking it. They want to feel as if they are not drinking something that was around in their parents generation.

It was never intended as a male or female drink. There is simply no such thing as a male or female drink in the Coca-Cola soda company.

That is the idea behind it, whether it will be a hit or not remains uncertain. they're definitely aiming for a younger audience, however, i think it's "stronger" taste is likely to attract older soda drinkers as well. isn't it usually young people who like their drinks "sweeter?"

anyway... i can't wait to taste it. if it tastes as good as C2... i'll only buy diet coke when i have to.

sugarisadrug
06-19-2005, 02:04 PM
No one else has any problems with Splenda? It never seems to sit well with me when I have it? I can't get past the side effects, or else I might try it. I have had problems with it on several occassions. Especially in combination with beer. If I drink/eat a splenda product an hour or more before drinking 1-2 beers (usually miller lite) it will give me severe bloating and gas to the point where I will get violently sick and/or have to lay down.

The first time it happened I had eaten several splenda sweetened chocolate caramels and gummy worms.. add the magic 2 miller lites and I'm in the bathroom for 30 minutes bringing it all back up. Felt fine after I got it out of my system. But still?

The second time I had drank one of the new pepsi one soft drinks. Around 30 mins later, drank some Sake & Beer (miller lite) ... start feeling this really uncomfortable pain.. so I try and walk it off w/o even realizing what or why I'm doing this.. still no luck.. Start feeling like my insides are going to explode due to air pressure... lay down, fell asleep for 2 hours or so.. expelled some of the gas.. felt mildly better.. then the next day - 3pm - still bloated from and in pain..

can anyone explain this ?

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Sucralose(Splenda) is known to cause bloating in a small percentage of people. I guess you're part of those people.

Your experiences sound horrible. You really should stay away from Splenda in the future.

And I would recommend looking on labels before you eat or drink things, because companies are starting to switch to Splenda from other sweeteners without advertising it, so be careful.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 03:48 AM
there must be some kind of chemical reaction going on. and, sucralose, when mixed with the wrong foods, causes gas or something.

beer causes gas too, right?

so, it's no wonder this is happening to some people who mix the 2.

Mr Zabe
06-21-2005, 04:56 AM
EMB
Yes Beer causes gas. LOL
So does drinking soda pop.

It's a function how much gassy foods one eats.
If your drink carbonated drinks and eat a few Taco Bell Grondae Bean Burritos, then you will most likely need to light a strong scented candle. LOL (Note some people stink stronger.LOL)

[ 06-21-2005, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

TaB
06-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Sucralose really inflames my Chrones. =/

billygtexas
06-21-2005, 11:15 AM
NEVER drink Pepsi Edge on a empty stomach in the morning like I did once. It gave me severe cramps, gas and nausea. Edge's mix of Splenda with HFCS was a real disaster. I never had a diet cola do that to me before.

I'm glad to see Edge go to the cola graveyard (recycling plant??).

After that experance im afraid to have Diet Coke With Splenda in the morning as my "wake up" drink. Coke Zero hasnt given me any problems yet.

[ 06-21-2005, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by billygtexas:
NEVER drink Pepsi Edge on a empty stomach in the morning like I did once. It gave me severe cramps, gas and nausea. Edge's mix of Splenda with HFCS was a real disaster. I never had a diet cola do that to me before.

I'm glad to see Edge go to the cola graveyard (recycling plant??).

After that experance im afraid to have Diet Coke With Splenda in the morning as my "wake up" drink. Coke Zero hasnt given me any problems yet. did Edge have Splenda in it? because C2 doesn't, right? and neither does Coke Zero. so, you might be okay with either of those.

also, colas have caffeine, and caffeine can be hard on an empty stomach by itself.

TaB
06-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Yes, it's Splenda/HFCS mix.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Empire Buddy, C2 has all three of the main calorie-free sweeteners in it, which includes sucralose/Splenda. Check BevNET's nutrition info for C2.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
Empire Buddy, C2 has all three of the main calorie-free sweeteners in it, which includes sucralose/Splenda. Check BevNET's nutrition info for C2. ohhhh. i didn't know that. my bad.

so, C2 has splenda, aspartame, ace-k AND... high fructose corn syrup.

well, either way, i just think it would've made more sense to make Coke Zero it's Splenda drink. instead of confusing people with two diet cokes.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-21-2005, 04:23 PM
when pepsi edge first failed, in lansing here, they were selling cases of the 20oz for 2.40, enough to cover the ten cent deposit on all the bottles, to their employees.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
when pepsi edge first failed, in lansing here, they were selling cases of the 20oz for 2.40, enough to cover the ten cent deposit on all the bottles, to their employees. well, at last check, C2 was outselling Edge by about 5-to-1... though it's introduction sold far less than vanilla coke. those figures were from last year though. not sure if C2 has caught on since then or not.

it may pick up some Edge drinkers, now that Edge is discontinued. but since there weren't many of those to begin with... it probably won't help that much anyway.

some people are already writing C2's obituary, now that Zero is out. and they may be right; but i hope not. i'm still a C2 fan. smile.gif

XLS_04
06-22-2005, 03:45 AM
Diet Coke with Splenda seems to be doing really well so far here. It is probably not a suprise though.

billygtexas
06-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
Diet Coke with Splenda seems to be doing really well so far here. It is probably not a suprise though. Splenda is such a hot brand name right now, anything with it is going to sell. That it can be used partially in baking and cooking is making it more popular than NutraSweet.

I wouldnt be surprised if Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Pepsi will be next to use it.

It reminds me when NutraSweet was introduced in the mid 80's, the logo was all over the place and then slowly disapeared off diet soda cans and other products.

[ 06-22-2005, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Empire State Buddy
06-22-2005, 05:30 AM
i think the "nutrasweet" logo disappeared once coke/pepsi started using the generic version (which would've been cheaper).

the same thing is likely to happen with splenda, once it's patent runs out.

i think diet pepsi is likely to be hurt the most by diet coke w/ splenda's introduction. it seems they've tried to slow the bleeding by adding splenda to pepsi one, but... pepsi one is no match for diet coke (in availability, brand strength, etc.). and once diet pepsi loses drinkers to diet coke, it may be hard to win them back by the time they finally add splenda (next year, maybe).

Ron
06-23-2005, 05:44 PM
B - A - D !!! Into the trash it goes, along with the Diet Barq's Root Beer.

Can not force it down. It isn't the Splenda itself. I can drink Diet RC with Splenda, although it has a funny taste. Diet Rite Cola with Splenda is better. It makes even Diet Pepsi seem good.

[ 06-23-2005, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Ron ]

Ron
06-23-2005, 05:52 PM
" The purpose of this beverage was to get teenagers and young adults that prefer the taste of regular Coke over the sweeter taste of Diet Coke "

WHAT? Maybe you reversed what you meant to say. I have gotten used to the chemical taste of Diet Coke, and even to the worse chemical taste of Diet Pepsi, but they are not sweet. I often am given regular Coke by mistake at Jack-in-the-Box, and the strong sweet taste and sugar high of regular coke is too much!