PDA

View Full Version : Diet Vanilla Coke = Diet Coke w/Vanilla?

brandman
05-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Sorry if this is retread.

Anyone notice the change in the DVC labels? They reduced the amount of cream color in the background, made "Diet Coke" prominent, and "Vanilla" is less noticable.

My wife could barely find it on the store shelf. She thought they were all Diet Cokes. I guess Coke is trying to strengthen the Diet Coke brand because of the addition of Lime, but I feel like they're weakening the DVC brand. Let alone, I wonder how many people won't notice the variations now. If my wife had to hunt for it, how many people will notice it and try it because it's different if they can't tell it's different?

http://www.thepeoplebrand.com/images/dvc1.jpg
http://www.thepeoplebrand.com/images/dvc2.jpg

ramonazo
05-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Mmm... I think that the bottle of Diet Coke vanilla is from United Kingdom or Australia or another country. Because the bottle is too tall, the "D" from the "Diet" word has a different shape. and in the US the wave in the Diet Coke extension products like lime and lemon is different too.

By the way... I miss Coca-Cola vainilla here.

[ 05-02-2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

brandman
05-02-2005, 05:51 PM
The bottle may be from elsewhere, but the colors and text are similar to what we bought here. I couldn't find an image of the new design on the web. I'll upload a photo soon.

fusion
05-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Diet Vanilla Coke is becoming a very weak brand. I guess they felt they needed to do something to align the brand with the rest of the Diet Coke portfolio. I never liked the graphics, personally.

Diet Cherry Coke has also been relabeled. It's now Diet Coke Cherry.

Also, if you notice, they slightly changed the Diet Coke w/ Lime graphics. They strenghened the green color, and the dynamic ribbon is also less... fuzzy? I can't think of a word to describe it.

I wish Coke would update www.dietcoke.com (http://www.dietcoke.com) with the new graphics.. and include the new Diet Coke with Splenda as well.

brandman
05-03-2005, 11:28 AM
I understand the idea of aligning the brands, but what is to gain from making it nearly invisible from the other Diet Coke flavors?

Honestly, I'm not a big Diet Coke fan. I have found though that I love Diet Coke Vanilla and Diet Coke Lime. I tried Vanilla because I used to order Cherry Vanilla Dr. Peppers from Sonic Drive In restaurants. I tried Lime because a waiter got my order wrong (I ordered water and he brought me DC with a lime?) and I thought, "What the hey?" So, I did not try either of them because of an affinity for Diet Coke.

Seems to me that the only converts they will get with this strategy are converts from original Diet Coke. Wouldn't it be better if they targeted Diet Coke "virgins"?

Cokeologist
05-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Also, if you notice, they slightly changed the Diet Coke w/ Lime graphics. They strenghened the green color, and the dynamic ribbon is also less... fuzzy? I can't think of a word to describe it.Wow...excellent catch. I just compared the graphics and you are exactly right. Looks like Diet Coke with Lime has adopted the Coke with Lime version of the dynamic ribbon (overall more green, with less of the black/white/gray streaks in the ribbon).

NRGChick
05-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I really like the Diet Vanilla Coke. My only complaint is, that I'd like the Vanilla flavour to be a little more prominant.

fusion
05-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by brandman:
I understand the idea of aligning the brands, but what is to gain from making it nearly invisible from the other Diet Coke flavors?

I don't really think it's invisible from the other brands. Each label has its' own uniqueness. Though I do think when the change happens it will catch people off guard, since they will be looking for the old label.

Coke is going to be revamping a lot of the labels this year. Diet Coke with Lime, Cherry, and Vanilla. Minute Maid Lemonade, Punch, and the other noncarb MM flavors will get a bigger logo, and the beverage being poured in the background of the label will disappear. Diet Nestea Cool will lose the snowman look.

[ 05-04-2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

Cokeologist
05-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Coke is going to be revamping a lot of the labels this year. Diet Coke with Lime, Cherry, and Vanilla. Any advance description or pics of the new Cherry Coke or Vanilla Coke labels?

mjb1124
05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
The Vanilla design will be similar to the European picture posted above, and the Cherry will also be like that but with dark red colors.

ramonazo
05-05-2005, 06:54 PM
In Memoriam

http://www.producto.com.ve/244/notas/lanzamientos.jpg

(Born 2003 - Died 2004)

[ 05-05-2005, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

fusion
05-05-2005, 11:39 PM
I didn't mean that Cherry and Vanilla were changing. I meant Diet Cherry and Diet Vanilla. Sorry for the confusion.

ramonazo
05-06-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by NRGChick:
I really like the Diet Vanilla Coke. My only complaint is, that I'd like the Vanilla flavour to be a little more prominant. That's true, I had the opportunity to taste american Vanilla Coke, and the american has a very weak vanilla flavor, while the mexican Coca-Cola vainilla had a really smooth and creamy vanilla taste.

That's why I miss Coca-Cola vainilla so much...

[ 05-06-2005, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

mjb1124
05-06-2005, 06:31 PM
I spotted the new "Diet Coke Cherry" design on Fridge Packs today. Here are some pictures...

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~cromulnt/dietcokecherry1.jpg

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~cromulnt/dietcokecherry2.jpg

As you can see in the second picture, the cans inside are still the old design.

[ 05-06-2005, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice? ]

Look In The Tunk
05-06-2005, 08:11 PM
You just reminded me how much I disliked the old design of Chery Diet Coke.

That's on my list of ugly soda cans.

fusion
05-06-2005, 10:19 PM
That's funny, cause the can bodies for Diet Cherry Coke and Diet Vanilla Coke from Baltimore MD production are the new design, but the 12 pack fridgepack wraps are still the old design.

I actually liked the Cherry Coke graphics back before the graffiti days.. when they were blue for regular and white for diet.

Look In The Tunk
05-06-2005, 11:42 PM
I think my favorite Cherry Coke graphics were the purple and black ones they used in the early 1990's.

At first, I didn't know what Coke was thinking when they made the "jungle graphics" in the mid 1990's, but I grew to like it. I could be wrong, but I think out in my parts during the short time Cherry Coke was using the "Jungle graphics", Cherry Coke was put in the bottles Dasani is put in. (I think yall call them "rocket bottles"?)

mjb1124
05-07-2005, 12:04 AM
That bottle design is commonly referred to as the "bolt" bottle. And yes, Cherry Coke used that bottle before switching to the current logo.

Acheron
05-08-2005, 03:14 PM
All the fridge packs here have had the new graphics for about a month or so, and the 20oz bottles for about a week. The lime bottles have the lime green caps that the Coke w/lime bottles have, and it makes a good visual impact to me. Since their flavored diets are all under a consistant Diet Coke design, they should color code the caps on all their flavored colas. Make em' easier to pick out in a group.

http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/127/13/photo0041.jpg

fusion
05-09-2005, 12:29 AM
I remember at one point, they were using black caps for Cherry and Diet Cherry, during the graffiti logo days.

What's the production code on those 20oz?

in the Northeast, CCE has almost every 20oz brand with green caps, because they are running a 1 in 12 wins a free Coke 1 liter UTC program.

When I'm filling coolers from a mixed case of 20oz (that I've used before, and combined a few into one), I have to take a little extra time to look at the bottles, to make sure I'm grabbing Diet Coke, and not Diet Coke with Lime (for example) -- those two seem to be the easiest to mix up.

Look In The Tunk
05-09-2005, 12:53 AM

in the Northeast, CCE has almost every 20oz brand with green caps, because they are running a 1 in 12 wins a free Coke 1 liter UTC program.

I've seen two instances in stores where I hear customers say they meant to grab a regular diet coke when instead they grabbed a diet coke with lime. The same thing applies with Coke with Lime and regular coke.

ramonazo
05-09-2005, 06:38 PM
From my point of view, I think that the new Diet Coke vanilla and cherry graphics are great and better than the past ones,and... c'mon, you can easily differentiate a flavored Diet Coke from a regular Diet Coke, with the colors on the wave and in the upper and lower trims of the label and the taste on it you can't get wrong easily.

[ 05-09-2005, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

mjb1124
05-10-2005, 05:47 PM
I just saw a new sticker ad for Diet Coke w/ Splenda, which says to try the "newest member of the Diet Coke family". At the bottom right corner of the sticker, you see 20 oz. bottles of the other members of the family, including Cherry and Vanilla with their new labels, plus Lime and Caffiene Free - but Lemon is MIA. So is it safe to say that it's been discontinued?

Look In The Tunk
05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
One of my ****** friends told me that Diet Coke with Lemon is competely gone in 20oz's. Maybe that's why they didn't include it in the photo...but maybe I'm in denial.

jmyjunk
05-11-2005, 04:53 PM
I wish someone would explain to me why Diet Coke calls it-Diet Coke with Lime, but they Call Diet Coke Cherry and Diet Coke Vanilla, should it not be Diet Coke Lime?

Coke04
05-14-2005, 04:51 PM
I wish someone would explain to me why Diet Coke calls it-Diet Coke with Lime, but they Call Diet Coke Cherry and Diet Coke Vanilla, should it not be Diet Coke Lime?I've been wondering the same thing. I wish they would have just named them "Diet Coke with Cherry" and "Diet Coke with Vanilla" to go along with the Lime and Lemon pattern.

XLS_04
05-16-2005, 01:57 AM
the new packaging is out here as well on the cans. the graphics are not great but not bad either, they are not eye catching like the previous one was since all the Diet Coke graphics look the same now with the exception of different color caps and different color digital looking wave they have now.

however they want to align all the diet coke graphics together like they did many years ago.

brandman
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ramonazo:
c'mon, you can easily differentiate a flavored Diet Coke from a regular Diet Coke, with the colors on the wave and in the upper and lower trims of the label and the taste on it you can't get wrong easily. I'm not saying they should worry about people getting it wrong easily (although Connie Vandelay/Anita shows it does happen). My real point is that this seems like more of a retention effort than an attempt to increase market share. If you don't like plain ol' Diet Coke, you won't notice the other flavors.

ramonazo
05-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by brandman:
My real point is that this seems like more of a retention effort than an attempt to increase market share. I don't think so, I think that people are going to see the attractiveness of this new labels, and the brand "Diet Coke" will add more trust and recognition. Both Lemon and Lime versions are a good example of this.

By the way, Diet Pepsi Twist, Diet Pepsi Vanilla and Diet Pepsi Lime have the same label graphs too. So, what's the problem with Diet Coke?

[ 05-18-2005, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]