PDA

View Full Version : Soda Pop Mentor

Mr Zabe
04-18-2006, 08:25 PM
My Uncle had such a passion for soda pop,he taught me how to taste and evaluate soda pop. We used to try new soda pops together.

He was a doctor. He brought life into the world. I use to wait for him to come home late night(I use to spend a lot of time at his house). We would crack open a couple of 8oz bottles of ice cold seltzer waters and just enjoy a most incredible carbonated buzz. He use to say bring life into this world was best celebrated with ice cold seltzer water. The man had so much passion for finding the taste notes in a soda pop. I so loved learning at the feet of a master. smile.gif

He died about 10 years ago,I miss him all the time. I know he would have said Coke Blac sucks. LOL

What person turned you on to loving soda pop or beverages in general?

[ 04-18-2006, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Amazing story smile.gif

The weirdest thing is that nobody in my family encouraged me the passion for Coca-Cola or for any soda... with my parents is the opposite, they want me to drink less sodas (and drink more diet sodas :rolleyes: )

IMO... not one person... one thing turned me to love Coca-Cola: ADVERTISING. Because of the great Coca-Cola commercials from then & now, I'm now a Cokeaholic :D

[ 04-18-2006, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Doug
04-18-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm kind of like Ramon in that nobody really pushed me into it besides myself...It probably helped that I spent a lot of time working on our coolers and my managers realized that I had a talent for working with the vendors to maximize our sales...but I've always loved soda and have always been excited about new flavors and stuff like that

Dr. Galaga
04-18-2006, 11:31 PM
So that expalins the Canfields plain Seltzer Water avatar!

It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I got in to soda pop lovin'. Before this time, pop was pop (we can debate pop vs. soda elsewhere). I put a slant-shelf Coke machine in my gameroom, so I had to fill it up with something. I started to try new pop (in glass bottles) that would fit in my machine. I went on vacation and I scoped out the beverage isle of stores. I then discovered drinks from all over the US and the difference between sugar and HFCS. After this, I really didn't mind spending 30 bucks on a good case of pop.

Lepke
04-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Galaga:
Before this time, pop was pop (we can debate pop vs. soda elsewhere). I think we have in free for all.

AND IT'S SODA DAMN IT!!!!!!

[ 04-18-2006, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

pepsidew
04-19-2006, 10:06 AM
my job got me into sugar water, i never drank soda before i started pushing it smile.gif

the saint
04-19-2006, 11:01 AM
I am pretty much the opposite. In my younger days I would drink vast amounts of soda. After I started working for a soda company my desire to drink the stuff grew less and less. Nowadays I drink one 20 oz in the morning ( I don't do coffee) for a wakeup and MAYBE 1 more thru out the rest of the day.

jmyjunk
04-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Mr Family never pushed me into drinking soda.
It was always around, and never in vast amounts. There was always a 2 litre of something in the fridge. And the was only soda for the week.

My passion with soda, and collecting started when my family took a trip to Israel in 1990.
I was amazed that Coca Cola can and bottles were in Hewbrew. And that started the whole ball rolling.

Mr Zabe
04-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Cool...It must of tasted so good. I remember drinking my first few bottles in Isreal. It tasted so much better than American Coca Cola. YUM

Techne
04-19-2006, 10:05 PM
For me, actually, it was when I started driving. Given my busy school and work schedule, I had already taken to drinking copious amounts of coffee. The car I drove only had one cupholder, and that was where the central armrest should be. Because I'd spilled coffee on my hands so often trying to reach back there, I slowly switched to soda. After I'd become hooked, I decided to branch out a bit, and because the deli I worked at had such great sodas (Dr. Brown, The Switch, MexiCoke), I got to try a wide variety.

pepsidew
04-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by the saint:
I am pretty much the opposite. In my younger days I would drink vast amounts of soda. After I started working for a soda company my desire to drink the stuff grew less and less. Nowadays I drink one 20 oz in the morning ( I don't do coffee) for a wakeup and MAYBE 1 more thru out the rest of the day. yeah i maybe drink 1-2 cans a day, i guess thats not much compared to what some people on here may drink everyday smile.gif

Lepke
04-19-2006, 11:34 PM
I never had a soda mentor. I remember as a little kid in the either late 60’ or early 70’ really licking mountain dew.
And my father used to take me with him to the kosher deli where I would have a Dr. Brown’s Cel-Ray. A sin Canada dry discontinued it and stole my memories from me. Those anti-Semitic bastards.

And I remember on a trip to Albany New York in like 1969 (I think it was) stopping at a gas station and they has a soda machine the old kind that vended glass bottles (here I am talking about vending. I should have posted this in energy drinks) the kind that you opened a thin little glass refrigerator door and pulled the bottle out by the neck. This was a soda I had never seen before and as a child of around 7 or 8 I was amazed at the size and shape of the bottle. It was tall like no other soda bottle I had ever seen, so new to me. The soda machine had the bottle opener attached as this was before the twist off crown (hell back then you needed a can opener to open a can of soda. The pull-tab had not yet been invented.) I don’t remember the flavor of this soda it may have been orange or grape but I remember it was the best tasting soda I had tasted ever in my short life.
The brand was Nehi. And it was many years till I saw it again and the bottle had changed and it was not the same.
The innocence of youth.

[ 04-19-2006, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Mr Zabe
04-19-2006, 11:40 PM
What a pleasant memory.
Nehi grape from one of those bottles was for sure like heaven. smile.gif I remeber getting soda pop from one of those coolers where you had to slide the bottle in a maze like configuration. Oh my that was the best. smile.gif

[ 04-19-2006, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Green River
04-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Well my old friend joe started collecting Citra back in 02' and he told me it was being discontinued and so I was like"oh no citra is great,I better stock up"so I started buying alot of it as well as other soda.