PDA

View Full Version : PEPSI'S "subLIME-ly" Crisp & Delicious New Lime Sodas

sodacec
05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I just had the giddy, child-like pleasure of stuffing my shopping cart with 4 12 packs and several 2 liter bottles of both regular & diet PEPSI LIME and all I can say is I REALLY need a bigger refrigerator! PEPSI LIME IS SUB'LIME'LY AWESOME...YES, I still love Coke/Diet Coke with lime because both are excellent & they'll still have a place in my vast soda collection (LOL). BUT BOTH MY MOM & MY FRIENDS AGREED WITH MY ASSESSMENT THAT PEPSI-LIME IN BOTH ITS REGULAR & DIET ITERATIONS HAS A MUCH BOLDER AND BRIGHTER LIME AROMA & TASTE THAN EITHER OF COKES LIME OFFERINGS (IN FACT, THE DIET VERSION TASTES VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL TO THE REGULAR WITH VIRTUALLY NO 'DIET' AFTERTASTE) which to me means another huge winner for Pepsi in the flavored cola segment (I still faithfully buy PEPSI VANILLA every week and love it as much as I did when it was launched back in August of '03 ). The lime taste is amazingly natural, very bold and bright (like a great lime lolipop almost) yet doesn't overpower the Pepsi. And if you're like me & look for good aroma as well as taste, PEPSI LIME's aromatic lime aroma literally jumped out of the bottle before I even finished unscrewing the cap in even the diet version (in fact it's so good I often find myself sniffing it as much as sipping it). Its bright & crisp, limey taste begs to be enjoyed on a nice summer afternoon while working in the garden or sitting by the pool... Also, the eye-catching traditional red/white/blue with the new bright green graphics (bright-green, bold, semi script "Lime" under the PEPSI logo, with a large lime-wedge image, & everal bright green 'bubbles') make for perhaps the most attractive soda cans and bottles out there...
A TOTALLY OUTSTANDING PRODUCT IN EVERY WAY!!!
Good Drinking to y'all...

P.S.: I think PEPSI works better in flavored colas than Coke because Cokes trademark acidity (which I enjoy most in its old-relable regular Coca-Cola form) sometimes conflicts with the other flavors. (Although to be fair, I think it's less conflicting with the citrus flavors because they compliment rather than fight the acidity) E.g., While I do like both Cherry and Vanilla Coke, Vanilla Coke soemtimes has an overly-acidic undertaste that never plagues Pepsi Vanilla's wonderfully smooth fountain-like/ creaminess. Same goes for Wild Cherry Pepsi...less acidy undertaste... does anyone out there agree with my theory? Let me knoe...

Mr Zabe
05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
I agree. Diet Pepsi Lime was a big surprise to me.
I brought a 12 pack last week. The lime flavor complements the diet Pepsi in a sharp yet very mellow way. I was very impressed with the taste and carbonation. Diet Pepsi lime is the only diet flavored lemon/lime cola pop that tastes great and holds it's own with is sugar siblings.

By the way the new Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry is a vast improvement. I do enjoy it very much as well.

BottleBoss
05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
I think Lime Pepsi is good, maybe a little better than coke, but it is still too sweet like regular pepsi is.

DPDude
05-10-2005, 02:45 AM
I agree to a point. I'm not a Pepsi drinker but they usually do a good job with their flavor extensions. I actually liked Pepsi Twist bought it on a regular basis...then they pulled it. Now comes Pepsi Lime and it holds up well, which means that they've probably already decided to stop production of it.

I think Coke has done a good job of keeping the quality up on their flavor extensions and the sales have been such that they haven't stopped producing their flavors like Pepsi seems to do all the time. The trail of soda carcasses that Pepsi leaves in its wake is astounding.

The only other Pepsi products I drink are from the Mountain Dew line.

Acheron
05-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Is the original poster a paid shill for Pepsi?

sodacec
05-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi how are ya LOL? It's funny & I can understand why you say that, because someone told me I should be in a Pepsi commercial or something, LOL. But the truth is I'm just a huge all-around foodie who loves variety and I love all the tasty new sodas that have been coming out these past few years.. I guess you could say I'm bored with regular Colas/Lemon Lime sodas. In fact, I'm more into soda now than when I was a kid... The 'fanciest' soda I had back then was Cherry Coke back in '85 I enjoy both Coke and Pepsi products. It's funny because I rarely drink regular Pepsi... Nothing beats Coke as a stand-alone cola, and I do enjoy the lime versions because they did a great job with them (look for my rave review under Coca Cola with Lime). But with that said, I just enjoy Pepsi's flavored colas more than Coke's because the flavors always seem more robust and natural tasting. And not just in the Lime versions.... For example: I do like Vanilla Coke quite a lot and always have it in my house, but I think Pepsi Vanilla just has a much smoother and richer vanilla taste (again because it's less acidic and it also helps that Pepsi uses actual vanilla extract versus whatever "Natural Flavors" Coke uses). Anyway, I really am genuinely impressed with Pepsi Lime and hope it does well for them. Good drinking to ya!

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Pepsi is definitely better at making flavored colas.

I believe Coke is better than Pepsi.

But Pepsi Vanilla, Pepsi Twist, Pepsi Lime, and Wild Cherry Pepsi are all better than their Coca-Cola counterparts.

Long gone are the days of blind loyalty to Coke.

mjb1124
05-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I'll have to agree that Pepsi won the lime cola battle in both regular and diet. I also prefer Pepsi Vanilla over Vanilla Coke.

For other flavor extensions, it's a mixed bag. As far as cherry colas go, I prefer Cherry Coke over Wild Cherry Pepsi (either the old or new formulation), but Pepsi does a better job with the diet version. I have heard good things about Cherry RC, which I have yet to try (it's not available where I live).

As for the diet lemon colas, Diet Coke with Lemon is my favorite, but it took them three formulas to get it right, and Diet Pepsi Twist is very good too.

[ 05-10-2005, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice? ]