PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Pepper w/ Real Sugar in Summer 2006?

Zap
04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
For anyone that hasn't heard, Dr. Pepper is supposedly going to be bottled nationwide (or mostly) during part of the summer with real sugar in place of the HFCS. I also read that there might even be glass during this time!

I know I remember reading about this somewhere a few months ago, but I can't seem to find anything about it now. With summer approaching, does anyone know when the rollout is supposed to be for this exciting product? I can't wait to get my hands on it! :cool:

Lepke
04-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Zap, you get my hopes up and then you don’t have a link? Find it man, find a link.

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 07:59 PM
All I can say if that is the case, and I can get cane Dr Pepper at my usual grocery stores, Oh my it is going to me a fantastic summer! As it is now,I do savor drinking Dr Pepper. If it goes cane sugar I will probably double what I drink now. Please Dr Pepper give us a cane summer. smile.gif

Lepke
04-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I’m not diabetic yet. I wonder how many of you folks are on the road?

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 08:25 PM
My friend a little thing like diabetes should not get in the way of one's soda pop consumption.LOL

Lepke
04-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Well when it hits me I’m not going to drink diet soda. I will drink water or seltzer.

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 08:40 PM
When it hits me I intend make it to my permanent 6 Feet under time share. LOL

I will be just fine drinking seltzer water and maybe get into Coke Zero a little more than I am now. smile.gif

[ 04-20-2006, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Zap
04-20-2006, 09:12 PM
I did some more searching and apparently if anyone gets Beverage Digest it was in the Feb 3rd issue I believe. I could not find any other official source, just that it was posted on another board. I looked at a few places but can't find a site with Beverage Digest as part of their catalog (ie Infotrac, etc.)

jblaviback
04-20-2006, 09:37 PM
This makes sense because their new logo is sort of a throwback logo. So I could imagine this happening as sort of an advertising tie in.

If this does indeed happen, I'm gonna stock up because that just sounds too good!

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 09:44 PM
LOL
Can you imagine the stock piles we are going to have of it? Dr Pepper lovers will be in a state of constant bliss. LOL

[ 04-20-2006, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

drpep
04-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Dr Pepper lovers will be in a state of constant bliss. LOL Not me. Believe it or not I can not stand Dr Pepper with cane sugar. I still have 5 bottles of West Jefferson DP I have no interest in drinking.
Mexican Pepsi, Mexican Coke or RC with cane sugar from West Jefferson I can drink.

[ 04-20-2006, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: drpep ]

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 10:16 PM
With all due respect,I have never heard that before. What really is strange is that I'm sure that Dr Pepper has to be at the top of your A List. Funny how we all have our little weird likes and dislikes. smile.gif

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-20-2006, 10:40 PM
if you have no intrest in drinkeing them, maybe you can send them this way, and put them to good use... lol jk

drpep
04-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Cold Dr Pepper out of can poured into a glass (I have a special one :rolleyes: ),no ice, is the top of my list. Second is a cold Dr Pepper in an 8oz glass bottle from Sanford Coke straight from the bottle.

01GTB
04-20-2006, 11:41 PM
drpep, do you suppose there was something wrong with the WJ DP you got? I heard someone mention that it can taste different depending on what time of the year it was bottled. Something to do with water maybe. I think WJ RC is just about one of the best colas I have ever had. But I also think WJ DP is just about the best DP I have ever had.

Anyway, sorry it does not work for you :(

Zap
04-21-2006, 03:25 AM
On the subject of WJ DP (and other WJ bottles) is it correct that they had/have the "HFCS and/or sugar" printing on them? On a trip to Jungle Jim's I wondered why they had all these HFCS sodas (that always means HFCS, with the exception of the old Passover labels), so I only bought the unique ones to try (like Nehi). I later thought they tasted too good to be HFCS though, and realized that they must not label it for some crazy reason?!?

01GTB
04-21-2006, 04:57 AM
The ones I have (DP, RC, SunDrop and 7Up) said HFCS or sugar. I think Cheer-wined said WJ was in the process of changing the labeling to reflect sugar only.

drpep
04-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 01GTB:
drpep, do you suppose there was something wrong with the WJ DP you got? Nope, nothing wrong. When I first bought a bottle of WJ DP in Myrtle Beach about 1999 or 2000 I did not like the taste and at that time did not know it was made with cane sugar. I have also had Dublin Dr Pepper with cane sugar and did not care for it.

popologist
04-22-2006, 08:06 AM
does this mean that coke and pepsi will (again) soon follow dr pepper's lead with a "summer" version of their own?

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-22-2006, 01:26 PM
that would be awesome! well, bad for my health but... lol

Mr Zabe
04-22-2006, 01:39 PM
I tell you what <big snicker on my face>. If the Big Three put out cane(any variety there off)sugar formulas for their flagship brands. You can expect that the average consumer will notice and the over all sales volumes will pretty much shoot through the roof.

As for us soda pop freaks, we would have "Cane as you are" parties on the weekends and two fisted power drinking on the week nights. Lord I would melt for a Lepke Special (KFP Pepsi). LOL

[ 04-22-2006, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DMC
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM
yes, we are getting Dr. Pepper pure cane sugar this summer. probably around july, and will be about a 3 month deal. so stock up on it while you can. this was suppose to be released last summer, but do to the hurricanes in the gulf coast and everything, it stunted the production, and they put it off till this summer. but yes, it will roll out this summer in glass bottles.

Mr Zabe
04-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Outstanding news!!!!!
This will be a great summer.
Do you know any particulars as far as size,packaging and average retail price?

I hope the price is reasonable enough so we can buy quantities as similar to our normal habits.

mjb1124
04-23-2006, 07:27 PM
WOOHOO!!

jblaviback
04-23-2006, 07:32 PM
oh yeah!

Ok I got it fixed.

[ 04-28-2006, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: jblaviback ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-23-2006, 08:04 PM
awwww hell yes!!!!

can you say "diabetes"? LOL

rustyjo
04-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Oh, please, Please, PLEASE make 'nationwide' mean just that!!! Sugar coma, here I come!! LOL :D

Coca Cola....are you listening?!?!?!?

01GTB
04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I am supposed to be headed up to Virginia sometime in June. Hmmmm. I just got to thinking, it would be just my luck to get back with a load of WJ Dr Pepper and have cane sugar DP's show up locally. Then again, imagine the horror of waiting for the stuff to show up here and it never does...after I bypassed a West Jefferson trip. :eek:

chrisok
04-25-2006, 02:44 PM
I found Dr. Pepper with sugar at a Wal Mart in Chickasha, OK last weekend. (About 30 miles SW of Oklahoma City.) They had tons of it, both in 8oz glass and cans (6 packs only). The cans were reasonably priced at $1.96 per 6 pack. The bottles were considerably higher, but still reasonable at 3.84. Needless to say I loaded up.

Mr Zabe
04-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Outstanding!!!
Could post a picture of the can showing the ingredients? Did it say sugar or sugar cane or like the KFP sucrose? Your area may be a test market or an early roll out. Either way this is a great sign of things to come. smile.gif

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
AWESOME i just spit out the hfcs dr pepper i am drinking when i heard that it has been spotted

popologist
04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
is it out already?

and will anyone care besides us soda enthusiasts? ;)

Zap
04-25-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't believe any bottler makes 6 packs of cans with sugar, so I would suspect this is an early roll out of the product. Now I will be keeping my eyes open for this stuff!! If anyone can confirm that their Wal Mart has these as well, maybe they have an early stock of it. I might just have to run over to the one near here if I hear of another report. You can't call places anymore and expect to actually get accurate information. :rolleyes: I figured I'd give the store a call, but of course they tell me no such thing exists or ever will.

I am also curious to know what the ingredient label says (sugar, sucrose, cane sugar, Imperial Pure Cane Sugar, ....) ?

[ 04-25-2006, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Zap ]

doug1885
04-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Could the Chickasha, OK cans be the Temple Bottling Company (code TBC) variety that uses the Dublin, TX pure cane sugar formulation? The last time I bought cans from dublindrpepper.com it was marked TBC and came in six-packs. (Note: It was cheaper than bottles, but much less tasty than bottled Dublin DP, for some reason. YMMV)

-Doug

Zap
04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Weird, maybe that explains why Dublin Dr Pepper isn't available in the Caffeine Free version, since they don't actually make the product at their own plant.

[ 04-25-2006, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Zap ]

chrisok
04-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Yes the cans were from Temple. Definitely not as good as the bottles, but still a darn fine product.

The label says Imperial Pure Cane Sugar.

My camera isn't working right now,so I can't post a pic. However, the can has the old 10-2-4 logo on it. (Both sides)

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-25-2006, 11:02 PM
is the stuff coming this summer going to be dublin dr pepper or is our local bottler actually going to be doing the sugar?

Mr Zabe
04-25-2006, 11:05 PM
LOL
I may not get any sleep until we get the sugar cane DP. smile.gif

[ 04-25-2006, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-25-2006, 11:08 PM
i know, now after hearing about the cane sugar one coming, my hfcs 12 pack that i have just tastes off now... lol

doug1885
04-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Another question about the Chickasha, OK DP. Did the bottles/cans mention Dublin or dublindrpepper.com? If not, I would think they would have to be part of this summer's special promotion. I wonder if they have different UPC codes than the Dublin product....

Temple has been used for special runs before. The last time I saw "Red Fusion" it turned out to have been canned down there. And they certainly know how to do glass, and cane sugar!

If you've never seen the glass bottles they use for Dublin DP, they're works of art, IMHO, with (glass-on-glass) lettering in three colors.

-Doug

drpep
04-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey, is there anyway jblaviback or the moderator can fix jblaviback's post of 4-23. The one that is screwing up this thread. Maybe use the edit function to cut down the the letters in the oh yea.

01GTB
04-27-2006, 10:13 PM
drpep, I think you half way fixed it by posting that and starting a second page smile.gif

drpep
04-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Good enough.

jblaviback
04-28-2006, 01:43 AM
Sorry about that,

I was just soo excited about
cane sugar DP :D

Android
04-28-2006, 02:33 AM
yo jblaviback - you still can fix that yourself if you want - just hit the "edit/delete post" button on the post in question. (the pen/paper logo icon) Then either add a few spaces to that way-too-long word or shorten it.

But I will say it does sound like something to get excited about. I switched to Diet Dr Pepper years ago but if I see some Imperial Cane Sugar Pepper, even in a can, I'll definately be buying some!

-Andy

[ 04-28-2006, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Android ]

DMC
05-03-2006, 04:28 PM
wow, that is an early roll out. my area here isn't expected to get it until about june.

doug1885
05-04-2006, 04:43 PM
>wow, that is an early roll out. my area here isn't expected to get it until about june.

If you mean the discovery of cane sugar Dr Pepper in Oklahoma, perhaps production has been going on for a while, to fill warehouses for the big 2006 summer promotion. Either accidentally (or perhaps deliberately?) some appears to have leaked out. Please post a picture if you happen to see it! Thanks.

-Doug
pretty sure *he* hasn't missed any being sold around here ;)

drpep
05-04-2006, 09:25 PM
There are a few places in the mid west that bottle cane sugar Dr Pepper as a regular item. Temple is one, I believe, and a saw an article recently on the other.

01GTB
05-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I think Abtex might be doing cane sugar DP now too.

Zap
05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
I would really like to be able to get the cane sugar DP on a regular basis, at a decent price. Hopefully the summer promo will create a demand for permanent supply of glass w/ cane as a premium product. Maybe Coke will take the hint and follow suit.

Zap
05-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, it has been over a week since the last mention of this... has anyone heard more about the release date for sure? Also, I will be taking a trip from Columbus, OH to Milwaukee, WI next week. Is there anywhere along the way that actually might stock the real Dr Pepper? (Will be stopping at Retro Soda, but I'd love to find as much as I can!)

[ 05-14-2006, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Zap ]

DPDude
05-18-2006, 03:17 AM
Temple Bottling Company in Temple, TX has been producing 12oz cans of Dr Pepper made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar for years now and is found in more and more areas of central Texas. They also produce 8oz glass of DP with real sugar.

Abtex in Abilene, TX has been producing 12oz plastic bottles of Dr Pepper (real sugar) for at least two years and within the past year have released 20oz plastic bottles of Dr Pepper with real sugar.

The taste of this Dr Pepper in plastic bottles is different than the real sugar version in cans, which again has a different flavor than the HFCS version. The Abtex version can be found in west and central Texas as well as areas between San Antonio and Houston along the I-10 corridor.

The Dublin Dr Pepper formula (real sugar) is also available in restaurants at fountain outlets in central and north Texas.

It's popularity has been growing in this part of the country for sometime now. It would be nice to see it go nationwide or at least regional. Maybe it would send a message to other companies to start producing their sodas with real cane sugar.

BottleBoss
05-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Yes, But is this summer promotion real? When does it come out? Anyone know?

doug1885
05-22-2006, 06:35 PM
For those who have (apparently) seen the special-run pure cane sugar Dr Pepper bottles already, did you notice whether they are redeemable (in those states that have bottle laws)? I don't think the Dublin Dr Pepper ones have been, at least so far. Thanks.

-Doug

ChrisPC
05-27-2006, 02:07 AM
I just had a 20oz Dr Pepper here in Nashville that tasted like it had cane syrup. I instantly noticed it from the first sip. It was GREAT; Dr Pepper never tasted so good! The label said "corn syrup and/or sugar".

Mana211
05-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I stil haven't seen these in stores but I got a 12oz out of the machine at work today and it said HCFS and/or Sugar.

Canned by a member of CCE bottling group Atlanta, GA

with a Nov 2006 date on the bottom.

fwiw this can says 12oz is 150 calories with 40g of sugars.

I'm wondering if they are mixing HCFS with cane sugar at a set ratio or if it just varies from batch to batch based on price.

Mana211
06-05-2006, 12:19 AM
I checked the grocery stores this weekend and did not see the same ingredients list on the DR. Pepper in the store as I got from my work vending machine.

I'm confused, either the stores are stockpiling outdated drinks or my vending machine operator has a completely different source.

01GTB
06-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Well, I am really hoping for a national rollout of Dr Pepper with cane sugar now. It looks like gas prices and bad timing will cancel the trip to Virginia that I had expected to be taking in late June. Meaning, no trip to West Jefferson either.

Zap
06-05-2006, 04:37 AM
After having both WJ and Dublin Dr Pepper recently, I am pumped for this to come out. I have never had a soda that tasted so different only based on the sweetener, and the cane sugar makes it incredible!

Mr Zabe
06-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Zap and Zabe..LOL
Like Load and Lock...LOL

I will be a Dr Pepper freak if the cane sugar formula makes it's way to Chi Town. smile.gif

ChrisPC
06-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I just found a 2-liter with the "HFCS and/or sugar" label at Wal-Mart. The cans still only had HFCS on the ingredient list, however.

Sure enough, it has cane sugar. I'm drinking some right now. It tastes so much better than the HFCS version!

[ 06-05-2006, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: ChrisPC ]

richcapo
06-05-2006, 06:38 PM
OT: I received my order of 24 bottles of Dublin DP on Friday. Once I got the notification of its arrival, I rushed out, picked up a can of regular DP ... jetted home and set up a tastey testy.

The results?

The difference in taste between a glass of DDP and a CAN of regular DP is minimal, at best.

Seriously ... I LOVE sugar sodas. I think that colas like Boylans, Natural Brew, Virgil's, etc., are head and shoulders above HFCS fare like Coke and Pepsi. I do truly believe that real cane sugar plays a part in that ...

... just not the only part, or even the main one. Sugar is the icing on the cake, if you will ... but the OTHER ingredients, the recipe, the brewing, etc. ... THAT'S where it's at.

Dublin DP adds gourmet sweetener to a fast food recipe. The result being a barely noticeable improvement in taste.

Who knows? Maybe I got a bum batch. Maybe the can of DP was one of those special summer sugar brews I've been hearing about (same ol' ingredients on the can, though) -- so naturally it tasted the same as the bottle. Maybe. Maybe not.

One thing's for sure: Not worth the $40 I spent on purchase and delivery. Doubt it'll be worth your $40, either.

_Rich

[ 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: richcapo ]

drpep
06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by richcapo:
The difference in taste between a glass of DDP and a CAN of regular DP is minimal, at best.
The first time I had Dublin DP, in an 8oz bottle I could not taste the difference between that and local Dr Pepper. My first West Jefferson Dr Pepper had a very different taste than regular Dr Pepper. I ordered a case of cans from Dublin and they tasted just like the West Jefferson DP.

Zap
06-05-2006, 09:33 PM
I am going to suspect that this product will have huge labels and promotion surrounding it. It isn't going to be regular product that simply has an incognito sweetener change. 99% of people would never know the difference even if some of them thought it tasted different. I heard glass and possibly cans were to be released, though anything is possible. With the advent of the labeling law change, I believe that using AND/OR labeling is no longer permitted, so any new packages must follow that directive.

Mr Zabe
06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I agree. My guess is that the packaging and lable design will be very brilliant and eye catching. The average customer will know that the can or bottle is special.

My guess is that if this promotion is priced to meet the average markets price, it will be the most successful DP promotion of all time. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif (The opposite of the Coke Blac initial promotion. :( )

[ 06-05-2006, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

01GTB
06-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Rich, my last order of Dublin Dr Pepper was a little off from what I remember the first few being. I didn't order any more after that. If we would have had it locally, I'd buy it. But I couldn't justify the shipping on it.

Last November I picked up some West Jefferson DP when I was up that way. It was on! That was a good batch. I thought it was much better than the Dublin product that I had receieved the last time. So, I think it still is luck of the draw with it. You may get a better tasting product, depending on several things I suppose, not the least of those being your taster's preference ;)

Now, I find Dr Pepper sweetened with sugar to be quite different from the HFCS version. Sometimes much better tasting, sometimes not so much. But even though I find it to taste quite different, I find HSCF Dr Pepper just fine on most occasions, especially when poured over ice. It tastes different, but it wasn't totally screwed up by HFCS. In other words, I like it no matter the sweetener. It's just different. Now Coke, I don't like it at all unless it's sweetened with sugar. To me, it is ruined with HFCS. But of course, that is just my opinion. You Coke people, back up with the baseball bats :D

doug1885
06-06-2006, 04:48 PM
My experience with shipped Dublin DP (actually bottled by Temple Bottling) is that the quality can be uneven. I had one batch of bottles which was distinctly straw-colored, rather than the deep color I was expecting (judging by the taste, it had the standard amount of sugar, but not enough of the unsweetened Dr Pepper concentrate). And the cans, which are half the price of the bottles, don't taste nearly as good, IMHO. At its best, the bottles are VERY GOOD, and a bit sweeter than West Jefferson (in fact, maybe too sweet).

West Jefferson DP, on the other hand, has been very consistent. I'd like it better if it were a bit stronger, but one can't have everything. ;)

-Doug

METAL HOUSTON
06-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I personally can't stand Dr Pepper but my wife likes it. And ever since we went to Central Market here in Houston, and found Dr. Pepper, Coke and Sprite made with sugar, she's drinkin' the stuff like water!
Coke and Sprite with sugar we can get at Fiesta for a lot cheaper than they sell it at Central Market. Now if I could just find someplace that sells Mello Yello with real cane sugar! if Coke and Pepsi do follow Dr Pepper with real sugar, I can only hope Coke will do the same with Mello Yello and if not, maybe Pepsi will with Mountain Dew.

richcapo
06-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Follow-up to my story on DDP and HFCS DP.

Just had a sugar Coke from Costa Rica -- side by side with an HFCS Coke:

Now THERE'S a difference in taste. IMO, even with sugar, Coke is NOT a high-quality beverage ... but the cane stuff is a VAST improvement over the corn stuff, nonetheless.

Given a choice, I'm always going to choose Boylan's or Natural Brew over any version of Coke ... but I'd also always choose cane Coke over corn Coke.

_Richard

[ 06-07-2006, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: richcapo ]

doug1885
06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
METAL HOUSTON wrote:
> Now if I could just find someplace that sells Mello Yello with real cane sugar! if Coke and Pepsi do follow Dr Pepper with real sugar, I can only hope Coke will do the same with Mello Yello and if not, maybe Pepsi will with Mountain Dew.
-----
Has anyone here tried the Mountain Dew from West Jefferson, NC (available from beveragesdirect.com, like their other products)? I believe that, like the Dr Pepper, it's either beet or cane-sweetened. I wonder if it makes much difference for that beverage.

-Doug
(must do some sampling next time I'm in N.C.!)

Mana211
06-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Zap:
I am going to suspect that this product will have huge labels and promotion surrounding it.I'm not sure why you assume that. I can tell you that the can's I've gotten don't look any different other than the ingredient list.

doug1885
06-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Zap:
I am going to suspect that this product will have huge labels and promotion surrounding it.
Mana211 replied:
I'm not sure why you assume that. I can tell you that the can's I've gotten don't look any different other than the ingredient list.
-----
You're talking about cans with "HFCS and/or sugar" aren't you? That seemed to be the old standard most places, before the new "HFCS" (only) labeling started. So maybe you're just seeing some old cans in the channel (which might have been brought in from outside your region, until the local bottler ramped up production of the new stock).

It's not clear to me if the real PURE CANE SUGAR Dr Pepper has been seen nationally yet. I'm betting that that's going to *just* be bottles. Given Coke's 8 oz. glass six-packs (which are currently HFCS, alas), I would think that Dr Pepper will have just the same form-factor.

-Doug

Mana211
06-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Yes it is the old HFCS and/or sugar label but I can tell you from drinking it that it has a brighter taste than I'd expect from corn syrup and it doesn't match the labels found on cans from any other source in my town that I've checked so far.

I suppose it is possible it is just a slight variance and I'm dreaming it is sugar not corn syrup but considering how many different styles of coke I drink I'd expect to have a better sense for it than that. I suppose I'll only know for sure if they come out with an obvious label.

doug1885
06-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Is it a consistent difference? Rarely (maybe 1 out of 100 cans), I find a can of Dr Pepper in this area which is much better. I'm thinking that maybe they've been using a mix of sugar and HFCS, which isn't always mixed well, leading to some cans having practically no HFCS.

It's always in a vending machine, so it might also be that not allowing it to sit at room temperature has something to do with it....

-Doug

Mana211
06-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Dunno, the one that really got my attention had a Nov06 date on the bottom, the one in my hand right now has a May06 date on the bottom. Maybe it tasted better just because it was fresh as possibly can be.

doug1885
06-22-2006, 03:01 PM
So, I've been asking the local Coke stockers (Coke distributes Dr Pepper in this area) whether they know about pure-cane DP later this summer. None have had any knowledge, even after they asked around.

Is it too early to panic?

-Doug (sigh)

bigrich
06-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Lets face it, somebody started a terrible rumor and we are still looking for the cane sugar DP that has never showed up. It is now almost July and not a drop except for the usual places that always bottle it. Too bad, and I should have not been so gullable as I have seen nothing offical about it.

01GTB
06-22-2006, 03:41 PM
I think I feel worse about mentioning it to others than anything else. I just helped spread it :(

Mana211
06-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Every store I've been to, every can I saw,

If you only knew how many times I've checked the ingredients list on a DR pepper in the last few months...

Zap
06-25-2006, 02:20 PM
I've been waiting around too... Ever since I originally saw this posted elsewhere I thought it sounded too good to be true. I keep looking every time I go to the store to make sure there isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Besides, my supply of KP soda is slowly disappearing. I have Coke and Dr. Brown's BC in cans, and a few 2L left. I've been craving Dr. Pepper!

01GTB
06-25-2006, 06:24 PM
My supply is just about gone as well. I have been trying to come up with the cheapest way possible to get to West Jefferson and haul back a fresh supply, but there isn't a cheap way. Gas is the deal breaker. I have an F350, so hauling back a bunch of it is no problem. But we are talking 100 gallons of gas, and at least one night at a motel. I would need to sell enough to at least put a dent in those costs. I don't have enough friends who are interested. And the few that are would not feel the need to pay an extra 10 bucks a case to offset my expenses. Or maybe I should say, they like it, but they ain't willing to pay a dollar a bottle for it.

doug1885
06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
It sounds like your quantity is about what a single wrapped pallet would be. Aren't there trucking services that consolidate loads like this? Is anyone acquainted with pricing for this sort of
thing?

-Doug
(from what I hear, local beverage boutiques could benefit from this sort of service, too)

01GTB
06-26-2006, 07:08 PM
That would be ideal. Find some way to truck back a pallet. I've had stuff shipped that size and the price is not that bad. Far cheaper than driving to get it yourself. The problem comes in with coordinating a pickup, since the bottler can't do it. And then dealing with glass.

If I had plenty of interest, I have an enclosed trailer that can carry just short of 7k in payload. This whole thing has the feel of Smokey and the Bandit :D I'd have to use the Mustang, I don't have a Trans Am ;)

iowacity
06-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 01GTB:
If I had plenty of interest, I have an enclosed trailer that can carry just short of 7k in payload. This whole thing has the feel of Smokey and the Bandit That's funny! "east bound and down!"

doug1885
07-01-2006, 05:37 PM
01GTB wrote:
>The problem comes in with coordinating a pickup, since the bottler can't do it. And then dealing with glass.

Are there truck depot/warehouses that they could deliver it to? If they had forklifts available to load it onto your F350, it might be worth paying an extra fee.

-Doug

Zap
07-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Soooooo... still no sign of the special Dr. Pepper..... has anyone in the know seen it yet, maybe in a warehouse? I'd hate to think that it won't be coming.

BottleBoss
07-05-2006, 08:53 AM
I think it was what we call "Misinformation".