PDA

View Full Version : Diet Dr Pepper.. Addiction

yankees26mlb
04-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm interested in knowing if an "addiction" to Dr. Pepper occurs with anyone else here. My father is obsessed with it, and always needs a bottle of it on road trips or when going just about anywhere. He's always telling me to go to 7-11 to get him a bottle. Plenty of empty bottles of it in his car too.

[ 04-20-2006, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: yankees26mlb ]

Doug
04-20-2006, 11:58 PM
I know that in the c-store I work part time at I see people coming in and taking 5,6,7 out of the coolers at a time...then coming back the next day and buying 7 more

Mr Zabe
04-21-2006, 12:39 AM
It's just like anything else. Some people like myself when I like something,my liking it can easily turn into an obsession.

I remember when I worked in my friends small grocery store/c-store in my old city neighborhood.
The same people just about at the same time of the day would stop by for a pack or two of cigarettes.LOL It was almost funny. I almost got to think even if they had the money to buy a carton they would still keep up their daily ritual of buying their smokes at the neighborhood store.

People are creatures of habit. I bet these Dr Pepper multiple c-store customers have other weird shopping habits. I have some too but when it comes to soda pop, I have to get fridge packs or cubes. Buying a bunch of soda pop at a c-store goes against my thin wallet. LOL

[ 04-21-2006, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Doug
04-21-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
It's just like anything else. Some people like myself when I like something,my liking it can easily turn into an obsession.

I remember when I worked in my friends small grocery store/c-store in my old city neighborhood.
The same people just about at the same time of the day would stop by for a pack or two of cigarettes.LOL It was almost funny. I almost got to think even if they had the money to buy a carton they would still keep up their daily ritual of buying their smokes at the neighborhood store.

People are creatures of habit. I bet these Dr Pepper multiple c-store customers have other weird shopping habits. I have some too but when it comes to soda pop, I have to get fridge packs or cubes. Buying a bunch of soda pop at a c-store goes against my thin wallet. LOL
yeah we have a few "marlboro light guys", where we know the second they walk in the door to have a pack off the shelf and ready to scan, because they always will get it

popologist
04-23-2006, 07:21 AM
before coke zero, diet dr pepper was probably the best-tasting diet soft drink by a major company.

although, i tried some diet coke cherry this week and was surprised how tasty it was. i also noticed that it had an aspertame/ace-k blend, just like coke zero. so that's probably why. diet coke needs to make the switch too.

Mr Zabe
04-23-2006, 07:55 AM
I agree with you. IMO, Diet Dr Pepper was the best diet soft drink ever. I drank Diet Pepper religiously until the aspartame started to cause me some problems. I remember when I first tried Diet Dr Pepper, I had thought it was regular Dr Pepper. It was always a pleasure to come home from work and crack open a Diet Dr Pepper.

I also agree with the gradual switch of the diet coke brands switching to the new formula. Say La vie?

[ 04-23-2006, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

pepsidew
04-23-2006, 09:33 AM
you guys should try that new diet dr pepper berries & cream - pretty good

popologist
04-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by pepsidew:
you guys should try that new diet dr pepper berries & cream - pretty good i haven't seen that around me yet. if i see any, i may pick it up. i wasn't overly impressed with cherry vanilla diet dr pepper though. it wasn't bad by any means, but it just didn't taste much different than diet dr pepper to me... it needed more "zing."

on the other hand, it tasted better than cherry vanilla diet coke. i don't know what it is, but the vanilla coke's and diet cokes taste REALLY artificial to me.

popologist
04-23-2006, 09:41 AM
I also agree with the gradual switch of the diet coke brands switching to the new formula. Say La vie? zabe, would coke have to announce a flavor change if they slowly added ace-k to diet coke (aside from listing it in the ingredients)?

i know that they announced the switch to "nutra-sweet"... but that was rather self-serving. i'm not sure announcing "now with ace-k" would be seen as a positive by most diet coke drinkers, since most of them don't know what ace-k is, and many like diet coke just how it is.

that's why i think a gradual, stealthy change might be good.

Mr Zabe
04-23-2006, 10:18 AM
I agree. This might sound sort of snobby. Us soda pop freaks have our eyes an ears open to any tiny nuance and or change in our A list down to our F list beverages. It is our passion to know,to taste and to drink our soda pop knowing that we have optimized our liquid pleasure.

That being said. From observations,chats with the lay public(LOL) and just my gut arm chair feeling;most people (not all and in general) might never notice a change in sweetener. Or if they did notice they would not pay much attention to it. I guess what I saying is that to some people soda pop is soda pop, diet soda pop is diet soda pop. They do not place the interest or importance they we do on the engineering of our beloved soda pop. IMO

Yes,Coke will roll it out slowly and with out much fanfare other than to mention more about Coke Zero ect.

[ 04-23-2006, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-23-2006, 11:21 AM
It's just like any other diet soda addiction. For some reason, it's easy to get hooked on diet soda.

popologist
04-23-2006, 12:41 PM
i agree that most people wouldn't notice the change.

on the other hand, a lot of diet coke sippers (like my brother) PREFER it to regular coke! and, when given the choice, he chooses diet over classic.

i've tried to bring him into the coke zero camp (he tried it and liked it), but... he continues to buy diet coke (perhaps because of availability).

either way, you're probably right. even if he did notice a slight change in taste, i doubt he'd be up in arms about it.

I agree. This might sound sort of snobby. Us soda pop freaks have our eyes an ears open to any tiny nuance and or change in our A list down to our F list beverages. It is our passion to know,to taste and to drink our soda pop knowing that we have optimized our liquid pleasure.

That being said. From observations,chats with the lay public(LOL) and just my gut arm chair feeling;most people (not all and in general) might never notice a change in sweetener. Or if they did notice they would not pay much attention to it. I guess what I saying is that to some people soda pop is soda pop, diet soda pop is diet soda pop. They do not place the interest or importance they we do on the engineering of our beloved soda pop. IMO

Yes,Coke will roll it out slowly and with out much fanfare other than to mention more about Coke Zero ect.

billygtexas
04-29-2006, 03:53 PM
My father grew up drinking DP and still loves Diet DP and Wal-Mart's Diet Dr Thunder. Thunder tastes a little blander but a little sweeter than Diet DP.