PDA

View Full Version : Soda The Culprit In Kids' Obesity?

cph
05-12-2005, 05:32 PM
[...]
Research published Wednesday in the Journal of Pediatrics places a big part of the blame for child obesity on the sugar in soda and sweetened drinks. Consider the numbers:

An average can of soda contains 165 calories, and a cup of sweetened juice contains about 100 calories.

The researchers say that the typical teen consumes approximately two 12-ounce cans of soft drinks per day, which adds up to 20 teaspoons of sugar or a whopping 300 calories.

That amount of sugar from just two cans of soda is about 20 percent of daily calorie intake, twice the recommended limit of 10 percent of calories from sugar. And if you add in additional sugars from sweetened drinks at home or school, that daily added calorie intake can easily go up as high as 40 percent of daily calories.
[...]
http://cbs2.com/health/health_story_131150746.html

Mr Zabe
05-12-2005, 05:44 PM
It would be hard to convince you because I have admitted my passion for sugar and non sugar carbonated bevies on this board.....but if I were so blessed to have children my approach to drinking soft drinks would change.

1. I would only allow water,milk and or OJ served with all meals in the home or at restaurants.

2. Soft drinks would be served as a "treat" as served by adults and not demanded by the children.

3. As mush as possible sugar free drinks would be served.

4. Kids need to be treated just the same as the adults so these rules apply to all the adults.

5. Rules are made to be broken so no "guilt/shame" will be used to punish the children when they beak the rules. I would explain the health reasons to these rules.

6. Love your kids to health not death. smile.gif

Zabe

[ 05-12-2005, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Kyle
05-13-2005, 07:56 AM
those recommended limits to my knowledge are minimums. It's not the max somone should have. It's like minimum daily allowed amount. It's just say'n everyone should have at least xxx of whatever.
you can water down your soft drinks for small kids. Don't give them a full can. Yes.. another rules are made to be broken (a new friend lol) that I'm not sure about, someone shouldn't guilt or shame their child, they already have enough to deal with. lol mmmmm sugary sweet necter of soda mmmmmm

BottleBoss
05-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Maybe peoples kids should get out and do other things besides watch television, play computer games, etc.... Get out of the sprawling housing developement and get some exercise. I think this could help fight obesity. Of course, I grew up on a farm, what do I know?

Kyle
05-13-2005, 09:32 AM
yes i agree. i remember when i was kid (still am to some of you 24). But I used to go outside all the frick'n time until I was like a Sr. in high school and that's only cuz i bought a play station. I'll definatly be kick'n my kids outside.

JACK
05-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Agreed full sugared carbonated beverages do contain alot of sugar but when you sight your report you fail to mention the impact of lack of exercise.

How many schools have dropped physical education? When was the last time you saw a bunch of kids in the burbs out playing? Not some game with parents but just a pickup game.

Ban electronic games, why not make a law that no one under 18 has a TV in their room.

Turn off the TV, shut down the computer, stop text messaging and IMMing....

Your target is wrong....lets look who are responsible for these kids not the drinks they are consuming

Mr Zabe
05-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Jack,
I agree with you. It has to be a two part deal of parents being good parents by stressing physical activies and stressing good healthy diets of low refined sugar and less fat.

When I was a kid, like you said, during the summer I spent the whole day from 8 am to dinner,
riding bikes and playing (getting into trouble) with the neighborhood kids.

Now most kids are watching TV,playing with their
X-Boxes or lurking on Mom and Dad's PC.

I still feel that the breakdown of the nuclear family (one parent or two non functioning parents) has caused kids to be left on their own.

So yes a few sugar pops is not the cause in itself of kids being obese. It's parents not being good parents (disregarding illness or genetics).

Zabe

Hacksaw
05-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Growing up, there were some cartoons on summer afternoons, but much of TV was so boring to us kids that we got out & about. When school was in session they kept us busy at recess, plus PE participation.

Now, we have several 24 hour cartoon networks, video games, computer games, DVDs, internet, etc. Add this to parent examples of how a 32 oz drink is not nearly big enough. Then, include the number of families where both parents work, or work 2 jobs, thus excluding having one of the parent taking the kids to sports, dancing, etc.

Soda & powdered drinks have been around for decades. I think the above mentioned explained WHY the fat crisis is on.

And, IF you somehow eliminate sugared drinks from all kids, you have candy, donuts, ice cream, breakfast cereals, etc., etc. to exclude.

I don't know why all lip service to excercise, but so little actual work.