PDA

View Full Version : questions about diet coke with splenda...

popologist
04-25-2006, 01:17 PM
is DC w/ splenda counted as a separate soda from regular diet coke (in year-end tallies)... or is it the same brand?

the reason i ask is because fountain diet coke is sweetened with saccharin, not aspartame, and, yet, it is counted as regular diet coke.

i also wondered if anyone had any sales #'s for DC w/ splenda. is it selling as much as coke zero? at my local supermarkets, coke zero comes in more sizes (basically, all sizes), but DC w/ spenda is usually only sold in 1.5 liter and 20 oz bottles. is this the same in your areas too?

[ 04-25-2006, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Mr Zabe
04-25-2006, 01:29 PM
the reason i ask is because fountain diet coke is sweetened with saccharin, not aspartame, and, yet, it is counted as regular diet coke.
I thought Diet Coke BIB fountain was sweetened with aspartame. I'm pretty sure saccharin is not used any more,maybe TAB? Maybe you could clarify this for us? Tks

[ 04-25-2006, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
04-25-2006, 03:14 PM
i thought YOU said it. LOL!

hmm. i know that someone in here said it just the other day... in a different thread, but i don't remember which one.

Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> the reason i ask is because fountain diet coke is sweetened with saccharin, not aspartame, and, yet, it is counted as regular diet coke.
I thought Diet Coke BIB fountain was sweetened with aspartame. I'm pretty sure saccharin is not used any more,maybe TAB? Maybe you could clarify this for us? Tks </font>[/QUOTE]

popologist
04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
according to wikipedia:

"Diet Coke from fountain dispensers still contains saccharin."

but... it also notes "citation needed."

i guess the only way to know for sure is for someone to checkout the syrup container at a restaurant.

Mr Zabe
04-25-2006, 03:20 PM
LOL
Now that you mention it, I do recall that someone made mention of TAB still being made with saccharin. I'm not sure either. It's no big deal,I'm sure one of our Coke experts (hint for our MrR for help) can set us straight. smile.gif

[ 04-25-2006, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Zabe
04-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I would like to have one our experts confirm this as it just doe not seem accurate.LOL

Mr Zabe
04-25-2006, 03:33 PM
popologist,
You are correct. I read on the Coca Cola website that Fountain Diet Coke is sweetened with a blend of aspartame and saccharine. It has to do with aspartame loosing it's sweetness in syrup form and that the saccharine has a stabilizing effect on the syrup's sweetness.

So once again I have missed the boat on a question. :(

[ 04-25-2006, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-25-2006, 03:34 PM
i know tab and diet full throttle contain saccharin and about the diet coke (MrZ beat me to it)

[ 04-25-2006, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Rob The SURGE Drinker ]

mjb1124
04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Yes, I've also heard from several sources that fountain Diet Coke contains saccharin. That said, I do believe that that Diet Coke w/ Splenda is counted as a separate product.

popologist
04-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, if saccharin is used in fountain diet coke... to preserve the flavor... then i can understand why it is considered the same product. my first impression was that coke was just trying to be cheap... and slip one by us. but maybe not.

as for diet coke with splenda... i think you're right, it probably is considered a separate product.

i'm still curious to how it's selling though. particulary, compared to coke zero... which seems to get most of the "buzz."

to be honest, i'm a little surprised that DC w/ splenda didn't take a bigger bite out of regular diet coke's sales last year (diet coke's sales were, basically, flat).

i'd also be curious to know how pepsi one is selling. it seems to have been eclipsed by coke zero and DC w/ spenda.

Originally posted by mikibacsi1124:
Yes, I've also heard from several sources that fountain Diet Coke contains saccharin. That said, I do believe that that Diet Coke w/ Splenda is counted as a separate product.

[ 04-25-2006, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

popologist
04-25-2006, 04:13 PM
don't sweat it. you're still our resident expert. ;)

Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
popologist,
You are correct. I read on the Coca Cola website that Fountain Diet Coke is sweetened with a blend of aspartame and saccharine. It has to do with aspartame loosing it's sweetness in syrup form and that the saccharine has a stabilizing effect on the syrup's sweetness.

So once again I have missed the boat on a question. :(

popologist
04-25-2006, 04:26 PM
according to wikipedia.com, the "continental european" version of diet coke, which uses a blend of aspartame, ace-k and cyclamates (banned in the US), is, supposedly, the favorite of diet coke enthusiasts (translation: it tastes more like coke zero. LOL).

also, according to wikipedia (though not cited), retailers were complaining that they were running out of regular diet coke, b/c DC with splenda was taking up too much space and not selling fast enough. as a result, coke cut back on its shelf space.