PDA

View Full Version : Why no Ace-K in Diet Pepsi?

SuperAmmo
05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Out of all the diet colas I have drank recently (by the way, switching to diet was a lifesaver weight-loss wise), Diet Pepsi was by far the worst. It's almost undrinkable to me, and I'll only drink it when it's the only diet cola available.

What I couldn't understand was why Diet Pepsi tasted so horrible when Diet Pepsi Lime and Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi were oh so good. Then I looked at the ingredients, Diet Pepsi only had aspartame as a sweetener while Diet Pepsi Lime and Diet Wild Cherry both had a blend of Aspartame and Ace-K.

What I don't understand is why can't Pepsi put in Ace-K into the Diet Pepsi formula? It would taste a thousand times better!

It's not really a big deal since Pepsi One is unbelieveably good and close to regular Pepsi (and has Splenda), but it would be nice to have a better tasting Diet Pepsi if I'm at a restaurant and the only diet choice is Diet Pepsi, or if I forget to bring a can of something else to school since Diet Pepsi is the only diet choice as well.

Can any of you beverage experts help me out on this?

Mr Zabe
05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
The short answer to your question is that there remains a large market share of Diet Pepsi drinkers from the early years when aspartame was the "cutting" edge diet cola sweetener.

It would be like changing Classic Coke which we all know failed big time.

I love Diet Pepsi. I have been drinking it for years. For me, the taste is perfect. I can see that a younger person might not like it because of the aspartame taste. I however enjoy the taste and the taste of a good Diet Pepsi burp. LOL

[ 05-18-2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SuperAmmo
05-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Good point...

But didn't Coca Cola add Ace-K into Diet Coke to make it taste better? I didn't see people complain with that one.

I didn't realize they added Ace-K to Diet Coke, no wonder it tasted a heck of a lot better than when I tried Diet Coke in elementary school compared to high school...and no my tastes didn't change.

I don't think making Diet Pepsi a little sweeter would hurt, to be honest.

fusion
05-18-2005, 10:29 PM
No Ace-K in regular Diet Coke, but it is in all the flavor spinoffs, and Diet w/ Splenda as well.

XLS_04
05-19-2005, 09:22 AM
diet Coke has been using the same formula since 1984. However the first 2 years it was released saccharin was used instead.

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 12:41 AM
i think diet coke is going to pull away from diet pepsi even more now that DC has a splenda version.

diet coke already outsells diet pepsi by almost 2-to-1. and splenda will only increase that lead... b/c i think a lot of people don't realize that pepsi one is a diet soda. i just don't think people pay that much attention.

but people know that diet coke is diet. and so... when they see splenda... they'll just know. it's a smarter marketing ploy by coke.

it remains to be seen whether coke zero will catch on. but since coke already introduced sprite zero to replace diet sprite... they've already established that "zero" = diet.

there's no other pepsi product called "one." see what i mean?