PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the infamous "New Coke", and one other thing

Glampire
09-26-2003, 02:31 PM
I'm new here, but I've been reading some of the older threads and thought that this seemed like an informative place with folks who know what they're talking about. So this is why I've decided to come here with some questions.

I've read a lot about "New Coke", and I'm just dying to know what it actually tasted like. How was it different than original Coke? I also read that New Coke was changed to "Coke II" and was being sold in the midwest. Is this true? I currently live in the midwest and would be interested to know where it's sold.

Now, about my question pertaining to other things. This is in regards to the Orbitz drink. I've seen some talk on these boards that Orbitz is on its way out, but I could swear I saw it stocked at my local grocery store just a few weeks ago. Is it really done for?

Ron
09-26-2003, 05:16 PM
It was flatter, blander, sweeter. No Coke "zing" to it. More like Pepsi. Real coke tastes great with some ice, and isn't hurt by being diluted a little by the ice, but new coke just got weaker with ice. New coke SUCKED!

Android
09-26-2003, 05:55 PM
for a humorous take on the "New Coke" story you might want to read the story from Pepsi's viewpoint in the book "The Other Guy Blinked, How Pepsi Won the Cola Wars" by Pepsi CEO Roger Enrico.

I first drank New Choke in returnable glass from the local grocery store. Was not impressed. Too bland, too much like a generic cola to me. By the time Classic came back the returnables were gone. :( I never went back to liking Coke no matter what the container was.

andy

XLS_03
09-26-2003, 10:52 PM
I have a bunch of information on Coke II, what i'll do is bring that topic back up to topic.

No Soda
09-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Hello Glampire....

New Coke really wasn't a bad product at all. I would say it had a more "fruity" and less bitter taste than Classic. It also had a bit of a sour aftertaste, but I liked it from the beginning. Had Coke not used it to replace the original Coca-Cola, which generated much negative press and ill will among its fans (people were dumping it down storm drains on TV) but offered it as a distinct, separate product, we might still have it today. It certainly was stigmatized as the failed replacement of original Coke. I last saw it in my area (Connecticut) in 1996 as Coke II, in 6-packs of cans from Coca-Cola of Northern New England. I understand that the recipe for it was kept under the same high level of security as the recipe for Classic. Wonder if that's still true today?

XLS_03
09-28-2003, 10:57 AM
I agree.

golee1
10-25-2003, 01:36 PM
When New Coke came out my father was a manager at Central, and he talked my mother into giving out samples of New Coke at Montgomery Ward...bad decision..she got cussed out numerous time, things thrown at her...bad memories