PDA

View Full Version : diet coke cherry... not bad...

popologist
04-29-2006, 08:44 AM
i'm not sure if they've changed the flavor, or if it's just the addition of ace-k sweetener, but... i've been drinking it lately and it tastes better than i remember (from, say, five years ago or so).

there's actually very little after taste and tastes much better than regular diet coke to me (which doesn't use ace-k... yet).

anyone else try it lately? any opinions?

[ 04-29-2006, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I went on a Diet Cherry Coke binge about 2 years ago. I don't know if they had made these changes that you mentioned, but even then, it was very good.

billygtexas
04-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Diet Cherry Coke just doesnt work for me. It winds up tasting like sour cough syrup. Same with Diet Coke & Lime, Vanilla, Lemon (floorwax).

But I think Cherry would taste great using Coke Zero which is the Coke Classic formula.

Android
04-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Funny you should mention it, I have an open can of Diet Coke Cherry next to me. I've been drinking it for a couple of years, I think it's OK, slightly better than Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi.

-Andy

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by billygtexas:
Same with Diet Coke Lemon (floorwax). So agree with you :D

[ 04-29-2006, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

popologist
04-29-2006, 09:37 PM
i agree with your distaste for diet coke with lemon and lime and vanilla. those all tasted very artificial to me.

but the cherry tastes alright... especially considering it's diet.

i agree with texas though... that a cherry version of coke zero would probably taste even better. smile.gif

Mr Zabe
04-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Ever since I went back on regular soda pop, diet soda pops just taste nasty to me. I can't get down any of the diet Cherry Cola brands. Now a days Jewel Max Cherry Cola (Albertson's) rocks my world. smile.gif Coke and Pepsi Cherry Cola are now on my B list.

(Jewel Max Root Beer is pretty darn good, almost an A&W facsimile. ***Lepke's washed ice required.***

[ 04-29-2006, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
04-29-2006, 09:53 PM
i thought you were a coke zero fan. when did you fall off the wagon? LOL.

also, though... i think that diets always taste better when you're used to drinking them. i drink A LOT of coke zero... and so that may be why diet coke cherry tastes better to me now... since they both use aspartame and ace-k. my pallette (sp?) is used to it.

i've often heard how drinkers of diet coke often no longer like the taste of sugary sodas.

Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Ever since I went back on regular soda pop, diet soda pops just taste nasty to me. I can't get down any of the diet Cherry Cola brands. Now a days Jewel Max Cherry Cola (Albertson's) rocks my world. smile.gif Coke and Pepsi Cherry Cola are now on my B list.

(Jewel Max Root Beer is pretty darn good, almost an A&W facsimile. ***Lepke's washed ice required.***

Mr Zabe
04-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Ok to be fair. I can't get the old school diet soda pops (aspertame) down like I use to. I still feel Coke Zero is the best low carb / diet soda pop on the mass market. I have not been a regular drinker sinse it first came out.

My system does way better on regular soda pops. If had to go back on low carb soda pops I would only drink Coke Zero or Coke Zero flavored brands.

[ 04-29-2006, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
04-29-2006, 11:27 PM
i wouldn't expect any coke zero extensions (except maybe caffeine free) until it establishes itself more. for the most part, i think flavor extensions, while they renew interest in a brand, probably just cannibalize sales it already would've had anyway.

mjb1124
04-30-2006, 03:24 AM
Diet Cherry Coke is okay, but I think Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi is better. It barely even tastes like a diet to me.

And DJHS, I do believe it's been longer than two years since ace-K was added to Diet Cherry Coke.

popologist
04-30-2006, 08:28 PM
i believe ace-k became available in 1998 (or whenever pepsi one was invented), so cherry coke must've added it sometime after that. i have no idea when though.

however, the last time i tasted it, which was probably five years ago or so, it didn't taste as good as it does now. so it probably didn't have ace-k back then.

XLS_04
05-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Diet Coke Cherry, diet Cherry Coke...same formula no change has been made, the only thing they did was reverse the name on the packaging.

popologist
05-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
Diet Coke Cherry, diet Cherry Coke...same formula no change has been made, the only thing they did was reverse the name on the packaging. the name change was very recently though. they added ace-k sometime after 1998 (since it was illegal in the US before that).

as far as the logo/name change goes, i'm only guessing that they did market research and found that people were more likely to buy it if it had the "diet coke" logo on it... as opposed to a singular "diet cherry coke" logo of its own.

it sort of makes sense (though it makes for less interesting packaging maybe).

billygtexas
05-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by popologist:

As far as the logo/name change goes, i'm only guessing that they did market research and found that people were more likely to buy it if it had the "diet coke" logo on it... as opposed to a singular "diet cherry coke" logo of its own.

it sort of makes sense (though it makes for less interesting packaging maybe). It makes Cherry fit in with whats left of the "Diet Coke and..." family. Maybe a consumer will take a can/bottle/case off the shelf thinking its regular diet coke and get cherry instead...

I also noticed this week at Wal-Mrat that Coke also updated the longbox for C2 to the new design (now only if they changed the name...).

[ 05-02-2006, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

popologist
05-02-2006, 06:38 AM
i went to the store to pick up some fridgepacks and i had to look closely because the diet cokes all looked the same, and C2 looked almost exactly like coke classic. someone could easily pick up the wrong thing.

still, i don't see how coke benefits from confusing people... since the customer was going to buy a coke product anyway.

Mr Zabe
05-02-2006, 07:44 AM
My guess it that Coca Cola wants to train the consumer's eye to be brand loyal when they glance at the shelf. Meaning that the greater goal is to get consumers to by a coke product. They want the consumer to shop Coke with the first glance and then select the brand/flavor. They do not want the eye to wonder looking at many different package designs. Pepsi does the same thing. IMO

[ 05-02-2006, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
05-02-2006, 01:45 PM
i think you're right. i think it also has something to do with coke trying to make diet coke and coke zero its new "flagships."

people are as dedicated to diet coke as others are to coke or pepsi... so it makes sense that coke wants to cash in on the diet coke logo.

this way, people know they're getting diet coke... with vanilla flavoring. as opposed to some other formula, that happens to be diet.

i'm not sure if anyone read the TaB article i posted in another thread, but when coke was market testing diet coke, they found that when the same sample was labeled with "TaB" and "diet pepsi" and "diet coke"... diet coke was chosen more often by a 16% margin... just because it had the name "coke" on it. so, whether we realize it or not, branding matters.

Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
My guess it that Coca Cola wants to train the consumer's eye to be brand loyal when they glance at the shelf. Meaning that the greater goal is to get consumers to by a coke product. They want the consumer to shop Coke with the first glance and then select the brand/flavor. They do not want the eye to wonder looking at many different package designs. Pepsi does the same thing. IMO