PDA

View Full Version : Coke Zero at Sam's Club

billygtexas
04-29-2006, 04:24 PM
At my local Sam's Club I was surprised to see Coke Zero on thier self-serve soda fountains! Tasted great on crushed ice. I hope Coke continues to aggressivly promote Coke Zero at fast food places (hopefully Sonic Drive-in!) and more resturants.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-29-2006, 04:30 PM
As far as I've seen here... I think you're the first one to see Coke zero on fountain in this board... smile.gif

billygtexas
04-29-2006, 04:38 PM
And it's strange that Sam's would have it. My Sam's doesnt sell Zero in bottles or cans. Hopefully with Zero gaining in popularity they will soon.

popologist
04-29-2006, 09:41 PM
i kind of get the feeling that coke doesn't want to make coke zero TOO AVAILABLE, because they're afraid it will cut into diet coke's sales.

i mean, there's this great supermarket by my apt in NYC, and they'll stock coke zero at the beginning of the week, and are always sold out by the weekend... but don't restock... until monday. so they're missing all those weekend sales.

it's frustrating!

on the other hand, at another, smaller (mostly latin) grocery by my place, they've been stocking as much coke zero as diet coke... maybe even more. and it's often picked over.

perhaps "zero" translates better in spanish than english. ;)

fusion
04-29-2006, 09:43 PM
My guess is that it's probably two different salespeople. And maybe that supermarket doesn't get enough deliveries, or the Coke Zero is really popular and empties out quickly. Have you ever asked if there's any more in the backroom?

popologist
04-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by billygtexas:
And it's strange that Sam's would have it. My Sam's doesnt sell Zero in bottles or cans. Hopefully with Zero gaining in popularity they will soon. we'll know when zero has "arrived" when it's offered at mcdonald's.

they could start in large, metro areas like NYC, where diet coke already outsells classic... so there'd actually be room in the market for zero.

we'll see. zero is still a new product (not even a year old yet), and it's doing pretty well.

if, in five years, it's doing 3% market share (half of diet pepsi's 6%), i'd then say that it's a huge success.

time will tell.

billygtexas
04-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by popologist:
We'll know when zero has "arrived" when it's offered at mcdonald's.
At most of the McDonalds in East Texas they have Diet Dr Pepper on thier self-serve fountains now. Chick Fil-A and Whataburger also have it. I've never saw it on a fountain until last year. Dont know if its just here in "Dr. Pepper Country" or nationwide now.

[ 04-30-2006, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Smoothcat
04-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by billygtexas:
At most of the McDonalds in East Texas they have Diet Dr Pepper on thier self-serve fountains now. Chick Fil-A and Whataburger also have it. I've never saw it on a fountain until last year. Dont know if its just here in "Dr. Pepper Country" or nationwide now. Here in my corner of northwest Alabama, Diet Dr Pepper is in the fountains at most McDonald's. I'm not sure how long it has been offered, but in the last few years we have had three new McDonald's built in my town, and all three carry it. I have never seen it in any other restaurants, though.

popologist
04-30-2006, 08:25 PM
dr pepper is the best-selling soda in TX (the only state where it leads) and is popular throughout the south. so, it only makes sense that diet dr pepper would be an option as well (especially since it tastes so good).

however, i'm surprised coke would accept competition for diet coke from another company on one of its fountains.

as for us yankees... i've read that diet coke has been the #1 soda in NYC for quite some time, so... there actually would be room for coke zero up here. my coke machine at work actually has more slots for diet coke than regular coke. so, there you have it.

XLS_04
05-01-2006, 02:06 AM
I dont know if thats sad or good that they have more stock of diet Coke than regular Coke.

popologist
05-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
I dont know if thats sad or good that they have more stock of diet Coke than regular Coke. that's not uncommon for large metropolitan areas.

i mean, just keep in mind that cities often attract more young singles, who are more body-conscious, than, say, a married couple in the suburbs.

billygtexas
05-02-2006, 03:40 AM
dr pepper is the best-selling soda in TX (the only state where it leads) and is popular throughout the south. so, it only makes sense that diet dr pepper would be an option as well (especially since it tastes so good).I agree totally, and Diet DP tastes great even at McDonalds. At many Mickey D's thier fountain drinks still taste watered down.

however, i'm surprised coke would accept competition for diet coke from another company on one of its fountains.
They also had Diet Coke at the same Sam's Club fountain Zero was at. I dont think Coke Inc or the local distributor feel having 2 Diet Colas is compeitition for themsleves. It's just giving people another option.

[ 05-02-2006, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

popologist
05-02-2006, 06:39 AM
billy, i meant that i was surprised that coke would put another company's (dr pepper's) drink in one of their fountains. i wasn't referring to coke zero.

however, since coke doesn't really have a viable alternative to dr pepper... maybe they had no choice.

billygtexas
05-02-2006, 01:48 PM
billy, i meant that i was surprised that coke would put another company's (dr pepper's) drink in one of their fountains. i wasn't referring to coke zero.

however, since coke doesn't really have a viable alternative to dr pepper... maybe they had no choice. Here in Texas people can get VERY upset if they cant have Dr Pepper with thier meal! Coke and Pepsi must have deals worked out to get the good Doctor on thier fountains.

Otherwise the only alternative Coke has to DP is Mr. Pibb, and I've seen it at local resturants, some convience stores and at Arby's. Still some people complain "it aint the real thing"... smile.gif

SURGE
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Stores pay Coke a healthy sum to offer Pepper in their fountain as well. But with something like Pepper it seems like its totally worth it.

popologist
05-02-2006, 11:48 PM
i'm still surprised that neither, coke nor pepsi, have really gone after the dr pepper market. maybe they're still hoping to buy it one day.

am i the only one who thinks that cherry coke tastes sort of like dr pepper?

Vault_Dewer
05-03-2006, 04:40 PM
I've found Coke Zero in the soda fountain at Target. I think it's catching on! smile.gif

popologist
05-03-2006, 04:42 PM
go ze-ro! go ze-ro! go ze-ro! ;)

fusion
05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Sounds like the syrup is going through the foodservice distributors, and not at the bottlers just yet (but most syrup goes that route, anyway).

Still, a good sign for Zero.

We ran out of Diet Coke 12 packs in one store - I noticed that we sold a few more Zero 12 packs those few days.

Look In The Tunk
05-03-2006, 05:39 PM
We ran out of Diet Coke 12 packs in one store - I noticed that we sold a few more Zero 12 packs those few days.
If I went to a store looking for Diet Coke, and all they had was Coke Zero? I'd go to another store.

popologist
05-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by TheConnieVandelayShow:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />We ran out of Diet Coke 12 packs in one store - I noticed that we sold a few more Zero 12 packs those few days.
If I went to a store looking for Diet Coke, and all they had was Coke Zero? I'd go to another store. </font>[/QUOTE]i feel the same way about coke zero. if a store is sold out (and they often are), i go to another store.

i'll drink diet coke if i'm at a restaurant, since i have no other choice, but i won't buy it at a store. i just don't have a taste for it anymore.

popologist
05-04-2006, 12:30 AM
how would you say zero is selling to diet coke right now?

Originally posted by fusion:
Sounds like the syrup is going through the foodservice distributors, and not at the bottlers just yet (but most syrup goes that route, anyway).

Still, a good sign for Zero.

fusion
05-04-2006, 12:41 AM
It does ok. Diet coke is such an entrenched, stable brand. It's going to take a lot to switch people over.. Especially if they have no idea of what Zero is.

Mr Zabe
05-04-2006, 12:50 AM
I agree. Maybe I'm not current with what's going on in the media and market place but I do not get the sense that Coke Zero is getting good exposure. So true, most people do not know what makes Coke Zero unique from other diet colas.

I go shopping on the weekends. I so wish there could be ice cold samples of Coke Zero over crushed ice in a 2oz cup. A good 3 or 4 weekends of samples IMO would educate and increase sales. IMO Coke Zero sells itself at least to diet cola drinkers.

[ 05-03-2006, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
05-04-2006, 02:03 PM
coke should put people in the supermarket, and whenever they see someone pick up pepsi, diet pepsi or pepsi one, they should hand them a cold sample of coke zero and a coupon for a free 1.5 liter bottle.

and, of course, anyone buying a coke product could also get one as well... if they were to ask.

coke zero is only doing as well as it is because of good word-of-mouth... which is something... but it's not enough to blow the brand up. people need to try it... and understand what it is.

Mr Zabe
05-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Very well said and I agree 100%!

popologist
05-04-2006, 05:00 PM
free samples and coupons do way more than cheeky commercials... especially for a new brand that people don't realize they want yet. ;)

drpep
05-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Coke Zero 12 packs were the last of the big two soda company items to sell in the beverage aisle as the store I worked at conducted a going out of business sale.

billygtexas
05-07-2006, 07:59 AM
free samples and coupons do way more than cheeky commercials... especially for a new brand that people don't realize they want yet. ;) If it wasnt for news reports, blogs and websites like Bevnet I doubt Zero would have found an audiance. Zero is growing but Coke needs to promote it more to diet cola fans. Coke hurt Zero by promoting it first as an "edgy" drink to teenagers and young adults who usually dont drink diet colas. Nice idea, but that didnt help it sell at all to older adults. My mother first thought Zero was some kind of "high energy" drink from the bold B&W graphics before she tried it.

[ 05-07-2006, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

popologist
05-07-2006, 08:51 AM
billy, i think you're right. i actually read an article recently that said that coke zero's appeal is broad (and not just some niche drink for young males).

people should buy coke zero... just for the taste of it. ;)

coke has been trying for several decades to be like pepsi (young and hip), when they should be focusing on selling a good product.

i think, eventually, they'll figure it out. but, for the time being, i think they're trying to figure out how to tell people to drink coke zero without dissing diet coke. it's a balancing act for sure.

and, let's be honest, once you get used to coke zero... it's kind of hard to enjoy diet coke anymore.

[ 05-07-2006, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Mr Zabe
05-07-2006, 09:14 AM
I agree 100%.

amyers
05-07-2006, 11:38 AM
BTW, We have Coke Zero in the fountain at Target and now at SAM's Club!

smile.gif

Mr Nethead
05-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I tried a can of Coke Zero yesterday. It was actually because I've heard so many good things about it on this board. I'd have to say it's a very good drink. (And I usually don't like diet sodas.) However, I can still tell that it is a diet drink, and I can certainly tell the difference between Zero and Classic. If I was going to consume a diet beverage on a regular basis though, Coke Zero would be it.

Doug
05-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr Nethead:
I tried a can of Coke Zero yesterday. It was actually because I've heard so many good things about it on this board. I'd have to say it's a very good drink. (And I usually don't like diet sodas.) However, I can still tell that it is a diet drink, and I can certainly tell the difference between Zero and Classic. If I was going to consume a diet beverage on a regular basis though, Coke Zero would be it. You're never going to have a diet soda that tastes as good as corn syrup or sugar-sweetened..But you have to admit, Coke Zero is about as close as you're gonna get to regular soda with 0 calories

popologist
05-08-2006, 01:59 PM
this is the kind of word-of-mouth that has propelled coke zero so far.

i suppose coke figures that new dieters will probably try diet coke first, and if they don't like it, they'll try coke zero... and will probably like it. this way, coke zero isn't stealing diet coke's sales. it's predominantly grabbing new drinkers.

Originally posted by Mr Nethead:
I tried a can of Coke Zero yesterday. It was actually because I've heard so many good things about it on this board. I'd have to say it's a very good drink. (And I usually don't like diet sodas.) However, I can still tell that it is a diet drink, and I can certainly tell the difference between Zero and Classic. If I was going to consume a diet beverage on a regular basis though, Coke Zero would be it.

cokepa
05-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Sam's Club in Harrisburg, PA has Coke Zero on the fountain now. And Fresca as well. Never saw that before either. Vanilla Coke used to be on the fountain so one of these flavors replaced it. Not sure what else was there before. D. Sprite Zero is there too but has been for awhile now. Don't often see that one either.

Mr Zabe
05-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Maybe Coke has agreement with Sam'Club to test market Coke Zero fountain/BOB in exchange for a big allowance. Coke IMO would want to study how it sells in a retail outlet of whole sale(more or less) consumers. The logic being that whole sale shopper's taste preference's are often an indication of the tastes of their retail customers. IMO

SamC
05-08-2006, 11:22 PM
I went to a different Sam's Club than my regular one today. Its across the border in CCE territory, not CCBCC like here.

They had Coke Zero. And the label was what has been posted here as the "Australian" label. Which is a "reverse print" with what is black on the can being white and what is white being black.

Tasted great with one of Sam's Club pizza slices.

popologist
05-08-2006, 11:53 PM
how did coke zero taste from the fountain? still superior to diet coke?

cokepa
05-09-2006, 07:52 PM
I enjoyed the Zero from the fountain, liked it better than diet. I much prefer Classic, but for those times when I feel guilty about all the calories I would take the Zero over the diet.

chris916
05-10-2006, 05:18 PM
had it at target today. tastes "different" to me for some reason. i love coke zero, probably drink 3-4 cans a day (in a glass with ice, of course), but from the fountain it didnt taste as good to me, i was actually pretty disappointed. Usually it's the other way around, maybe it's just my target. It actually didn't taste like anything if that makes any sense lol. Very mild taste.

Doug
05-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by chris916:
had it at target today. tastes "different" to me for some reason. i love coke zero, probably drink 3-4 cans a day (in a glass with ice, of course), but from the fountain it didnt taste as good to me, i was actually pretty disappointed. Usually it's the other way around, maybe it's just my target. It actually didn't taste like anything if that makes any sense lol. Very mild taste. Maybe the syrup was running low?

That's the thing with fountain sodas, they'll never taste exactly the same

golee1
05-10-2006, 10:28 PM
My mother first thought Zero was some kind of "high energy" drink from the bold B&W graphics before she tried it. [/QB]There still seems to be a lot of confusion there. A few days ago I had a woman at Wal-mart argue me that Coke Zero was in fact not a diet drink, and that the zero referred to no caffeine. Showing her the ingredients shut her up real fast.

popologist
05-11-2006, 12:00 AM
the advertising for coke zero, which was aimed at young males, was similar to that of energy drinks, so that may be why people are confused about what it is.

also, they may be getting it mixed up with vault zero, which is like an energy drink.

coke should probably try to clear this up. unless, of course, their intention was to make people think it's an energy drink. so they can tap into that market, and not cut too deeply into diet coke's sales. hmm.

popologist
05-12-2006, 02:06 PM
i just found this article about how coke zero is doing phenomenal in new zealand and australia. i think coke even gave it a bigger push there than in the US.

here's the link:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0605/S00275.htm