PDA

View Full Version : what about TaB ZerO?

popologist
04-29-2006, 10:13 PM
i just read an interesting "history" of TaB (coke's "b*st*rd" child) at a TaB fansite:

http://ilovetab.com/keeping-tab-a-diet-soft-drink-shelf-life/

it's a long article, but... rather entertaining and informative.

for instance, the original version of TaB didn't have any caffeine or kola extract, and, so... coke was concerned whether it could really be classified as a "cola." ha!

also, until diet coke's introduction in 1982, TaB was the #4 soft drink in the US... behind coke, pepsi and... (believe it or not) 7UP (wow, have things changed).

by 1984, of course, diet coke was #3.

there are a lot of other interesting little factoids about TaB and its checkered past. it makes you almost feel sorry for TaB... since it was all but abandoned once diet coke came out, but, up until that point, TaB had 7% market share (more than diet pepsi or mt dew have today).

anyway, it kind of made me feel "nostalgic" for the ol' gal... and kind of rooting for coke to give her one more face-lift. maybe an injection of botox and splenda. LOL! ;)

(they still sell it in some locations in nyc, by the way)

[ 04-29-2006, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Mr Zabe
04-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Please get yourself a soda pop and power off the board for a rest. I think you just blew your cap off. LMAO.....Not on my last day of life on some desert sand dune would I ever consider drinking a TAB old school or New and Improved TAB. Death would for sure be better. :D LOL

[ 04-29-2006, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
04-29-2006, 10:21 PM
i actually picked up a can last summer and... it wasn't as bad as i thought it'd be.

in fact, at first, it resembled coke zero, but THEN... that awful saccharin aftertaste kicked in... and the date was over. LOL!

i finished the can though... after some wincing. ;)

Mr Zabe
04-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Your a strong guy for sure. That saccharin aftertaste like you said can really ruin a good date. smile.gif I hope you had a speedy recovery.

da987
04-30-2006, 03:26 AM
It's already had 2 updates how many more do you want? LOL

I know it's too early to tell if TaB Energy is doing well. But what about TaB Clear? We got stitched up with this nightmare here in England as well!

Does anyone know if TaB Clear was released in any other countries?

http://members.aol.com/da987/coke/tabclear.jpg

[ 04-30-2006, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: da987 ]

fusion
04-30-2006, 06:57 PM
TaB Clear was also released in the US.

popologist
04-30-2006, 07:19 PM
according to the article/link above, TaB Clear was created as a half-hearted reaction to Pepsi Clear. Gozietta (the leader of coke at the time) didn't think "clear" colas would last (he was right)... so didn't bother putting the coca-cola name to it.

aside for nostalgia value, there's probably not much room for TaB in today's market. i mean, diet coke is gaining on pepsi for the #2 spot everyday. and, now, coke zero is zeroing in on the male market... so what's left for TaB?

also, i read an article about how the current leader of coke has recently switched from TaB to coke zero... so that doesn't bode very well for TaB's future either.

whotony
07-19-2006, 11:10 PM
is tab still in production?

i havent seen it on shelves recently and the coke guy who we place our store orders with told me that it is going to be just tab energy in the near future.

[ 07-19-2006, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: whotony ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
07-20-2006, 12:38 AM
talking about Tab... I didn't know that Tab Energy is a fruit flavored energy drink...

killjimmy
07-20-2006, 05:17 AM
i like tab and get it on occassion...they have it at just about any store here.

popologist
07-20-2006, 10:52 PM
i see TaB regularly in NYC as well... just in 6-paks though.

NRGSLLR
07-21-2006, 01:58 PM
TaB is available in Chicago, Indy, Cincy, Des Moines, Minneapolis. I buy 3 12 pks a month. In my opinion it could still hold a number 6 or 7 in overall brand share if COKE would let it. They work harder not to sell TaB than they do to sell Coke. This comes from 9 years experience with Coke (Chicago and CCE)

popologist
07-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by NRGSLLR:
TaB is available in Chicago, Indy, Cincy, Des Moines, Minneapolis. I buy 3 12 pks a month. In my opinion it could still hold a number 6 or 7 in overall brand share if COKE would let it. They work harder not to sell TaB than they do to sell Coke. This comes from 9 years experience with Coke (Chicago and CCE) TaB has "nostalgia" appeal to female baby boomers, and i'm sure with a little effort coke could increase its market share. the problem is, female baby boomers are already drinking diet coke... so why should they hurt their own leading brand?

that's why they've been so "cautious" with coke zero. they're trying very hard to aim it at a specific, non-diet-coke-drinking demographic.