PDA

View Full Version : coke or pepsi?

popologist
05-01-2006, 09:30 AM
coke or pepsi?

(let me guess, this has been asked before... LOL)

for me, i prefer coca-cola (it just has more "cola taste" to me); however, i don't think pepsi is awful or anything. but... i'm pretty sure i could tell a difference in a blind taste test. ;)

with that said... i hardly drink either. i drink about eight 8-oz servings (a 1.5 liter bottle and a can or two) per day of coke zero, and, then a couple cans of C2 on the weekend.

their aren't a lot of pepsi brands i drink, though i think pepsi one and diet pepsi are pretty good.

[ 05-01-2006, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Lepke
05-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Pepsi

Back in the 70’s the question would have been Coke, Pepsi or RC?

It’s me and my RC, just me and my RC. Cus what’s good enough for other folks just aint good enough for me.

[ 05-01-2006, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Mr Zabe
05-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Pepsi hands down.

boodoo
05-01-2006, 10:20 AM
As a gentleman from the South I have to cast a vote for good old RC Cola!

PepsiBlue
05-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Always Coca-cola

pepsidew
05-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Pepsi vs Coke - Pepsi

Wild Cherry Pepsi vs Cherry Coke - Cherry Coke

Pepsi Vanilla vs Vanilla Coke - Pepsi Vanilla

Pepsi Lime vs Coke with Lime - Pepsi Lime

and i like Black Cherry Vanilla Coke

DrPepperYummy
05-01-2006, 02:48 PM
coke vs pepsi.... RC please

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Coca-Cola... absolutetly

Lepke
05-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Ramón Cokeaholic:
Coca-Cola... absolutetly You didn’t need to say anything.
If you had just posted a blank message I think we all would have known that you love coke.

But I know deep inside you love Pepsi. It’s ok I wont tell.

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Straight up, I think Coke is better.

But every one of Pepsi's flavored colas are better than Coke's.

Android
05-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Pepsi vs Coke.... RC for me too. Pepsi would be 2nd place but I can't take it unless its in glass or the first few sips out of a plastic bottle or properly adjusted fountain.

I think Cherry Coke is better than Cherry Pepsi, but again Cherry RC is better than either.

As a mixer with alcohol, Coke wins.

-Andy

Dr. Galaga
05-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I prefer Pepsi. Buuuut, I can only get Coke in glass, so I usually drink Coke.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Lepke:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ramón Cokeaholic:
Coca-Cola... absolutetly You didn’t need to say anything.
If you had just posted a blank message I think we all would have known that you love coke.

But I know deep inside you love Pepsi. It’s ok I wont tell. </font>[/QUOTE]Get outta here! :rolleyes:

[ 05-01-2006, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

SDR
05-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Pepsi

SDR
05-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I should say Pepsi when I am not mixing and Coke when Rum enters the equation. Good point Android.

popologist
05-02-2006, 05:41 AM
i think sometimes one cola tastes better with a certain type of food than another.

i like coke with heavy, or spicier things. but sometimes pepsi's sweeter taste goes well with salty (frito-lay) snacks.

i don't know how RC tastes, so i can't really compare that to anything.

Mr Zabe
05-02-2006, 06:36 AM
I agree with you thoughts on taste with different foods.

IMO RC(the original cane sugar formula) had a rich sweet taste. LOL I can still remember how it tasted but I'm at a loss for words. I will say that it was similar to Pepsi yet still unique in it's own taste points. IMO it was a most under rated soda pop in the Midwest. I enjoyed drinking it when ever I found it. I maybe had it 35% of the time when I was out of my Mom's TAB restricted house. LOL

[ 05-02-2006, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Nethead
05-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Coca-Cola.

Pepsi is too sweet for my liking.

jmyjunk
05-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Coke is the Xerox, Kleenex if you will of Cola's.

Hands down.

Coke vs Pepsi= Coke
Vanilla Coke vs Vanilla Pepsi= Vanilla Coke

Ah.. but
Diet Pepsi vs Diet Coke= Diet Pepsi

Lepke
05-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by jmyjunk:
Coke is the Xerox, Kleenex if you will of Cola's.

It’s interesting that you put it that way.
I my self often think of Coke as the Q-tips, the Vaseline or the Tampax of colas.
While other think of it as the Trojans, Draino or Clorox of colas.

To each their own I guess.

Mr Zabe
05-02-2006, 10:51 AM
I think of Coke as apple pie.
I think of Pepsi as chocolate ice cream.
I think of Dannon Spring Water as clean underwear.
I think of Seltzer water as liquid perfection.

popologist
05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
i think cola loyalty has a lot to do with what we grew up on.

the "new coke" fiasco is the proof. in blind taste tests, "new coke" beat, both, coke classic and pepsi, and, yet... everyone hated it, and no one would buy it.

i also think it has something to do with what you're used to. if you're drinking pepsi all the time... which is sort of sweeter... then when someone gives you a coke... you're gonna taste the difference. and vice versa.

it's sort of like... if you have a piece of chocolate cake, and then drink a soda... the soda will taste awful... even though it is the same thing it always is. and the same goes if you drink some soda, and then eat a piece of chocolate cake after... the cake will taste weird. smile.gif

Mr Zabe
05-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Good Points.
I'm sure your theory is right on target.
I know almost for a fact that as a kid, I had a McDonald's meal at least once or twice a week. Getting a medium ice cold coke was so damn good. I beleive that drinking Cokes at McDonald's "wired" my brain and taste buds for Coke. I still love Coke and I still love McDonald's Coke but I developed a love/lust for Pepsi. I am a soda pop freak with an A List. LOL

But yeah,you make good points.

[ 05-02-2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Nethead
05-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
i think cola loyalty has a lot to do with what we grew up on.
Generally speaking, you're probably right. I'm an anomaly though. When I was little my family always had Pepsi. I drank it until the day I tried Coke. Once that awesome Coca-Cola hit my mouth, I just couldn't drink Pepsi anymore.

CStoreCatMan
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
PEPSI...no contest.

After my vote...the tally so far goes like this:

Coke = 5 votes
Pepsi = 6 votes WOOT!
RC = 4 votes

[ 05-02-2006, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

popologist
05-02-2006, 10:53 PM
"woot" all you want. but diet coke is expected to pass pepsi within the decade.

i'm sure coca-cola is licking its lips for that moment. ;)

DrPepper86
05-03-2006, 02:20 AM
I like Coke better myself,imo Pepsi goes flat really quick.

iluvsurge220
05-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Cola: Pepsi
Flavored Cola: Vanilla and Wild Cherry Pepsi
Citrus: Mello Yello/Vault
Lemon Lime: Sprite
Other: Tropical Sprites and Fanta over the MD Code Red, Livewire, and (Do they even have grape and orange pop?)
I guess that makes my score COKE 3 PEPSI 2.

Android
05-03-2006, 12:20 PM
if it goes flat too quick, you're not drinking it fast enough! smile.gif

-Andy

Mr Zabe
05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Well said and so true. ;)

mjb1124
05-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Maybe it's because I don't get to drink it that often, but I think RC is the best. Pepsi is a close second and Coke a not-too-distant third.

popologist
05-03-2006, 02:18 PM
if i ever pass a cooler with RC in it, i'll have to try a bottle. i'm surprised that so many of you like it.

Lepke
05-03-2006, 02:23 PM
It is interesting how many people voted for RC, considering that RC was not one of the choices.

These threads seem to take on a life of their own.

I am defiantly a Pepsi drinker and I have found that Pepsi does go flat faster then Coke.

[ 05-03-2006, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

popologist
05-03-2006, 02:34 PM
pepsi starts off flat. ha ha ha! ;)

popologist
05-03-2006, 02:37 PM
actually, now that you mention RC...

wasn't there an independent taste test done in the 70s or 80s, and RC beat, both, coke and pepsi?

halloaaryn
05-03-2006, 02:59 PM
PEPSI ALL THE WAY!

Lepke
05-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes there was. And RC did.
I don’t know if the formula is still the same today as it was back then.
According to Elliot from http://www.elliottsamazing.com/faq_cmp.html CS never really wanted RC.

popologist
05-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Lepke:
Yes there was. And RC did.
I don’t know if the formula is still the same today as it was back then.
i guess pepsi forgot to mention that in their "pepsi challenge." ;)

either way, it just goes to show how powerful "branding" is.

i mean, RC may have won the taste test 30 years ago, but... i wouldn't even know where to find any nowadays!!!

CStoreCatMan
05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by popologist:

i'm sure coca-cola is licking its lips for that moment. ;) LOL...you're such a Pepsi basher. Well I will woot because until Diet Coke ACTUALLY does pass Pepsi (which it HAS NOT)...its just words to me! smile.gif And so far in this thread...umm...Pepsi is beating out your precious Coca-Cola...WOOT! tongue.gif

[ 05-03-2006, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

Lepke
05-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Believe it or not you can still get RC in the supermarket.
Next time you are there look by the 7 up. People still drink diet rite too.

I think after I run out of my delicious and refreshing kosher for Passover Pepsi, I will try a 2-liter RC (again for the first time).

Mr Zabe
05-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Don't get your hopes up. I brought a fridge pack of RC last December. I made sure it was fresh. It tasted ok but not as satisfying as Pepsi. I would have to put on my B List. I sure do miss the old days of RC when it was super sweet and smooth.

pepsidew
05-03-2006, 03:27 PM
i dont know how much diet coke sells around the US but around here diet pepsi sells just as well if not better then regular pepsi - in every package - at least it seems that way to me

iluvsurge220
05-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by CStoreCatMan:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by popologist:

i'm sure coca-cola is licking its lips for that moment. ;) LOL...you're such a Pepsi basher. Well I will woot because until Diet Coke ACTUALLY does pass Pepsi (which it HAS NOT)...its just words to me! smile.gif And so far in this thread...umm...Pepsi is beating out your precious Coca-Cola...WOOT! tongue.gif </font>[/QUOTE]I don't think he was bashing pepsi. He was just sharing the facts with us and you are trying to start an argument out of it. If I worked for a pop company and one of our brands was about to take over the competitions brand then I would be licking my lips, I don't care if it was Pepsi Coke RC or what. Whats the deal with all you Pepsi guys, all you want to do is argue argue argue lol.

CStoreCatMan
05-03-2006, 07:01 PM
He says "woot all you want because Diet Coke is expected to pass Pepsi"...even you have to realize he was taking a little shot there! Which is okay...competition is healthy. Relax man...I've posted enough on these boards for the majority to understand my humor...sarcastic as it may be smile.gif

BTW...What's the deal with all you "surge" guys trying to start stuff with all the Pepsi guys? LOL!

[ 05-03-2006, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

pepsidew
05-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by CStoreCatMan:

BTW...What's the deal with all you "surge" guys trying to start stuff with all the Pepsi guys? LOL! they blame mountain dew for killing surge?

mr jones
05-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Surge sucked. That's why it went away...if it sold it would still be here. Next, they're going to be upset when Dew kills off Vault. smile.gif

Oh yeah...count a vote for Pepsi here...I can't stand Coke.

Mr Nethead
05-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Pepsi better hope that Vault goes down. With Diet Coke poised to overtake Pepsi, if Vault starts to take a big chunk out of Dew's market share they are in BIG TROUBLE!

But we probably shouldn't turn this into another Vault thread. LOL.

popologist
05-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Mr Nethead:
Pepsi better hope that Vault goes down. With Diet Coke poised to overtake Pepsi, if Vault starts to take a big chunk out of Dew's market share they are in BIG TROUBLE!

But we probably shouldn't turn this into another Vault thread. LOL. LOL! smile.gif

mr jones
05-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Hate to burst your bubbles...BUT...Its going to take ALOT more than Vault to put Pepsi in trouble. If I were Coke...I'd be worried about the day that Pepsi's allowed to start selling Gatorade. That's something to be concerned about tongue.gif

mr jones
05-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr Nethead:

But we probably shouldn't turn this into another Vault thread. LOL. With the way Coke Zero is cutting into Diet Coke sales...that may not happen as soon as you'd think...

popologist
05-04-2006, 01:13 PM
in the last ten years, pepsi has lost 3.8 market share points... and is now at 11.2%. diet coke has gained 1.0 market share points... and is now at 9.8.

even if diet coke remained stagnant (which is unlikely)... if pepsi's slide continues... diet coke will be #2 in 3 or 4 years.

you heard it hear first. ;)

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by mr jones:
Surge sucked. That's why it went away...if it sold it would still be here. Next, they're going to be upset when Dew kills off Vault. smile.gif No! please! I have to try it! :(

[ 05-04-2006, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

iluvsurge220
05-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Don't worry Ramon, I don't think Vault is going away. Look what a 50 year sucessful product does to people. These pepsi mountain dew people aren't afraid to say anything because their product has been around for forever. Don't worry though.

iluvsurge220
05-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Oh and guys come on you're killing me lol!! I don't feel like arguing on here anymore, Ive had enough of that in the past. It's a lot of fun to read your alls posts on here. When I think about it, the Vault thing is like gambling against a Poker superstar. Mountain Dew is so much more popular and has made so much more money than Vault. And you all and Mountain Dew aren't scared at all about another new comer, just like the Poker star isn't afraid of new competition. For vault we just have to get lucky. Sure poker does require some skill but a lot of it is luck. Whether Vault takes away Mountain Dew sales we don't know. We can buy Vault but for the rest part we just have to hope for the best because individually, buying is all we can do and we cant spend all our money on it. LOL this is a lot of fun, lets keep it up.

iluvsurge220
05-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by mr jones:
Hate to burst your bubbles...BUT...Its going to take ALOT more than Vault to put Pepsi in trouble. If I were Coke...I'd be worried about the day that Pepsi's allowed to start selling Gatorade. That's something to be concerned about tongue.gif Yes this is true, but take a basketball game for example. When you are down by 20 points, you can't make a 20-point shot and tie the game. You have to keep hitting 2's and 3's and cut into the lead and get a chance to take the lead. You have to take your time and not try to rush things. We know that Vault isn't going to run mountain dew over, but it is a start and it will probably get us closer and put Coke in a position where, maybe one day they can catch up with Mountain Dew/Pepsi.

Mr Zabe
05-04-2006, 08:56 PM
IMO Vault in the short run comes off the bench and does not foul out.

Vault in the long run matches shot for shot and has a 75% home court advantage and 50% road record.

Meaning all in all both Vault and Mountain Dew will eventually maintain fair share of the market.

[ 05-04-2006, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
05-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Ok I picked up a 2 liter RC cola at the supermarket. I don’t know how old it is as I cant find a date anywhere on the bottle.

There is a strange taste to it that I can’t place and don’t know how to describe.
I can defiantly taste and smell orange notes. Even orange zest.
I think it may even taste generic or like store brand.

It’s not bad tasting but I am used to Pepsi.
I don’t think I’ll buy it again as I don’t know how fresh it is.

Android
05-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Usually RC date codes are decoded the same. There should be one on the bottle - on the bottle cap or towards the top of the bottle. I've also seen there be one under the label (as in, if you peel the label up and there may be a code there). It should start with a letter, then some numbers. It may be split into two lines of numbers after the letter. The letter is the month, and the first number is the year, then there should be a three digit number that gives the exact number date of the year it was bottled. There may be other numbers after that, time of day it was bottled plus a botter letter(s) code.

Here's a couple of examples, both from Full Service (part of All-American) who is the third tier bottler in my area.

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/RCdatecode.jpg

The date on the cap means March, 2006, Day 60 of the year, bottled at 8:31am. (0831)

The date on the can means Feb, 2006, Day 40 of the year, bottled at 4:04pm. (1604)

-Andy

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by iluvsurge220:
Don't worry Ramon, I don't think Vault is going away. Look what a 50 year sucessful product does to people. These pepsi mountain dew people aren't afraid to say anything because their product has been around for forever. Don't worry though. Thanks for the words of relief, pal... smile.gif

[ 05-05-2006, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Original prankstA
05-05-2006, 11:51 PM
i like coke better, but really the only reason is because i grew up with coke, but in the long run i think they're both pretty good