PDA

View Full Version : Slice being reincarnated in Oklahoma

bigbottom
10-04-2003, 10:50 AM
The pepsi bottling company is revamping slice again and clearing shelf space to do so in quiet Oklahoma. Green apple, strawberry, watermelom etc.. sound familiar? What the hell are the people at Pepsi smoking these days. :eek: :confused:

XLS_03
10-04-2003, 12:41 PM
are you serious???

sandwalker
10-04-2003, 03:45 PM
I'd buy a Green Apple drink in a second.

Shatter
10-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Green Apple? Watermelon? That sounds sweet!

teamtitan512
10-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Which bottler is this? I doubt it's PBG.

Dumb move...Slice already died once in most places...the only places it lives on is where they didn't get a hold of Crush or Sunkist. It's not a very popular brand, and it will probably fail.

I take it that since you live in Oklahoma, Great Plains Coke is the bottler there for Coke. Are they strong in Fanta? If so, do they do a lot of different flavors? If so, that's probably why Pepsi is doing it, a Fanta retaliation.

I doubt Slice will bring any flavors here, Fanta is terribly weak here in the Mid-Atlantic. Central won't even touch it, CCE Eastern Great Lakes does Orange and Grape only and only for Wal-Marts it seems, Consolidated in WV can't sell it but for .50 a 20 oz. bottle, and only certain stores seem to carry it for CCE Mid-Atlantic. Only places I've ever seen it in CCE Mid-Atlantic territory are Kmart, Circuit City, and Food Lion, then it's still only Orange, Grape, and Strawberry.

drpep
10-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Circuit City?

Terry K
10-06-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
Which bottler is this? I doubt it's PBG.

I take it that since you live in Oklahoma, Great Plains Coke is the bottler there for Coke. Are they strong in Fanta? If so, do they do a lot of different flavors? If so, that's probably why Pepsi is doing it, a Fanta retaliation.
Pepsi is PBG in most of Oklahoma. Fanta does fairly well in OK, since they even sold the long-lost Apple Fanta until the FP conversion..

If someone can get me some names and addresses of stores who have these flavours, I'll get 'em in my possession.

chrisok
10-06-2003, 02:00 PM
I live in Oklahoma City, and haven't seen anything yet. Although, shelf space is freeing up as Pepsi Blue is disappearing. As a far Fanta is concerned, it does relatively well. However, there is basically no competition for it. Welch's, Squirt, and Sunkist are often shut out of stores as they 7up/RC. I haven't seen an Orange Slice in forever. Crush isn't in Oklahoma City either. Maybe they were encouraged with Livewire, but I wouldn't say we're a hotbed for fruit flavored sodas.

the saint
10-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Orange Slice is in every single grocery syore in Moore, OK. don't guess you go into grocery stores though Chris since you havn't seen it. Also I know nothing of PBG bringing back Slice to compete with Fanta..then again I am usually one of the last to know...

teamtitan512
10-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Circuit City now has Coke coolers in all their stores. The ones in CCE Mid-Atlantic are loaded w/Fanta. Other areas they have MM Lemonade, Nestea Cool, or Mello Yello, or something else. Fanta doesn't sell real well. The brand really has tanked everywhere it seems but the Southwest, around Texas and Oklahoma.

XLS_03
10-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Still suprised Coke is doing something to compete with it's other brands (example Fanta orange, Minute Maid Valencia Orange). Fanta is european, it is very popular there.

The only reason I think Fanta is even sold in North America now is because of vintage reasons, just like Tab.... Something the workers decided on since they grew up with it in there houses I suppose.

As for Pepsi there only carbonated fruit sodas are Sierra Mist, and slice but those flavors are on 2 different brands right now.

There was never a Watermelon slice that I know of. Are you sure apple slice is still made?
I remember when it was around (was a gold can with green writing) but I don't remember the product lasting very long.

Flavors I heard of that are still made in 2003 are orange slice, diet orange slice, grape slice, pineapple slice, peach slice, slice red. If I could post pics of those cans with the current graphics I would.

teamtitan512
10-08-2003, 03:46 PM
I wonder if since Mr. Green is dwindling if Dr. Slice will reappear, or we'll see Pepsi try to create another Dr Pepper clone.

DJ Brian
10-09-2003, 01:34 AM
I have a feeling you'll be seeing "Dr. Dew" or some other product extension coming soon.. well, why not? If there is one thing Pepsi and Coke have learned, it takes a lot more muscle to launch an entirely new identity versus extending an existing and accepted brand name. Look at the Mello Yello flavors, Coke and pepsi extensions, Mt Dew Code Red seemed to take off. I don't know what the #s looked like for Livewire, but if it was profitable, I'm sure it would be likely for them to expand the Dew line for this flavor profile.

XLS_03
10-09-2003, 11:24 AM
current orange slice cans http://www.usasoda.com/images/pcslice49.JPG

current strawberry slice cans
http://www.usasoda.com/images/pcslice22.JPG

current grape slice cans
http://www.usasoda.com/images/pcslice4.JPG

current pineapple slice cans
http://www.usasoda.com/images/pcslice9.JPG

current slice red cans
http://www.usasoda.com/images/pcslice15.JPG

Shatter
10-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Wow! More Slice flavors than i've ever seen before. Now if they'd only bring back Cherry Cola Slice.....

Terry K
10-10-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by XLS_03:

Flavors I heard of that are still made in 2003 are orange slice, diet orange slice, grape slice, pineapple slice, peach slice, slice red. If I could post pics of those cans with the current graphics I would.Where on earth can I get Peach and Pineapple Slice? I know where most of the others can be found!

DJ Brian
10-10-2003, 04:59 AM
You forgot the two best and hardest to find ones!

http://sodafinder.com/images/drslice.jpg http://sodafinder.com/images/cherrylimeslice.jpg

XLS_03
10-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Terry K:

Where on earth can I get Peach and Pineapple Slice? I know where most of the others can be found!

The peach slice and pineapple slice was last spotted in Lincoln, NE.

As for Dr. Slice and Cherry Lime slice I did not know those 2 flavors were still made. I know Cherry Lime slice is/was only available on fountain.

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-11-2003, 03:25 PM
all of those look very peculiar. i did see dr. slice in grand rapids, michigan once where dr pepper is run by brooks beverage and was probably considered an easy target. a long time ago. since then, brooks kicked ass and then sold out to abc who kicks ass on the west side of the state now. every other week 7UP is on ad, it's amazing.

teamtitan512
10-12-2003, 12:04 AM
I doubt Slice Cherry Lime is still available, considering the whole Sierra Mist thing. Cherry Cola Slice was replaced by Wild Cherry Pepsi, and of course, Dr. Slice was replaced by Mr. Green, which it's not dead yet! See my next post, neither is Pepsi Blue.

Terry K
10-12-2003, 05:44 AM
I doubt Slice Cherry Lime is still available, considering the whole Sierra Mist thing. Cherry Cola Slice was replaced by Wild Cherry Pepsi, and of course, Dr. Slice was replaced by Mr. Green, which it's not dead yet! See my next post, neither is Pepsi Blue.Cherry Lime Slice is still readily available. We know of a few markets where its still in Fountain (like Springfield, Missouri and a few in New Mexico and Arizona)

teamtitan512
10-12-2003, 10:13 PM
I have a strong feeling Cherry Sierra Mist is coming.

Terry K
10-13-2003, 03:39 AM
I have a strong feeling Cherry Sierra Mist is coming.You're not too far off. Its been publically acknowledged (in a bottler investor conference call I listened in on, they actually discussed the fact there's an extension of Sierra in the works.

I haven't been able to find out much from my Pepsi sources, but when I do, y'all will be the first to know.

bigrich
10-13-2003, 03:58 PM
My Pepsi Americas Account Manager told me that Sierra Mist now outsells 7-UP nationally. I don't know if this is the case as around these parts Pepsi is losing shelf space to ABC.

[ 10-13-2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

teamtitan512
10-13-2003, 06:32 PM
I highly doubt that. I doubt Sierra Mist is in the top 10 in sales drinks. It's slowly becoming nothing more than a drink bought on price around here. Most don't even know it's a Pepsi product (Remember I live in an area where Pepsi did 7Up until 2003).