PDA

View Full Version : Coke Zero vs. Diet Coke debate comes to mainstream blogosphere

Bevorama
05-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Check out blog heavyweights Andrew Sullivan ( link (http://time.blogs.com/daily_dish/2006/05/a_line_on_coke.html) )

Jonah Goldberg ( link (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZDAzMGNiNjA5NjBiMjcxOWI4OTdiYzYxYTgzNGM5OTU=) )

Jonah again ( link (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=Y2NmNjM1NjJlYWE2NGJjZTM3YjQ1MjlhNjU0MDYwZWQ=) )

Matthew Yglesias ( link (http://www.prospect.org/weblog/2006/05/post_249.html#002186) )

Kind of cool to see these people duke it out.

[ 05-03-2006, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Bevorama ]

popologist
05-03-2006, 08:04 AM
those are great!

thanks.

i'm going to email them to my brother. smile.gif

ps--coke zero is 10x better than diet coke. don't know why anyone is still drinking that "swill." LOL.

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Coke Zero definitely needs some more positive mainstream attention.

I'd wager to say the only reason it isn't more popular is because not enough people have tried it.

popologist
05-03-2006, 02:15 PM
i think coke is being a little cautious. i mean, after 20 years, diet coke is finally about to overtake pepsi as the #2 soda... and then... boom! coke zero starts to cannibalize diet coke's strides forward.

but... i agree... zero's success depends on people actually trying it... AND... being able to find it when they want it (i still have trouble finding it in the sizes i want sometimes... often, actually).

anyway... i just read an australian article about how coke zero is expected to overtake diet coke in FIVE years... in australia. that's how well it's doing there.

here's the link:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/CocaCola-Amatil-records-sweet-result/2006/05/03/1146335787382.html

Doug
05-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
i think coke is being a little cautious. i mean, after 20 years, diet coke is finally about to overtake pepsi as the #2 soda... and then... boom! coke zero starts to cannibalize diet coke's strides forward.

but... i agree... zero's success depends on people actually trying it... AND... being able to find it when they want it (i still have trouble finding it in the sizes i want sometimes... often, actually).

anyway... i just read an australian article about how coke zero is expected to overtake diet coke in FIVE years... in australia. that's how well it's doing there.

here's the link:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/CocaCola-Amatil-records-sweet-result/2006/05/03/1146335787382.html Why would Coke care that people who once drink Diet Coke are now drinking Coke Zero? It's still all driving the bottom line. And when you have a product so great, push it, no matter what the consequences.

Doug
05-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
Coke Zero definitely needs some more positive mainstream attention.

I'd wager to say the only reason it isn't more popular is because not enough people have tried it. I think a nation-wide "free taste test" may be in order. Advertise on high-traffic programs like American Idol and CSI, say you'll give anyone who walks into the designate grocery store or whatever a free can of Coke Zero...I think that'd really get the word out there and you'd make a lot of lifetime Coke Zero drinkers who may otherwise have never tried it. I myself never tried it until, by word of mouth, I was told it was extremely good, which it was.

iowacity
05-03-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the two.

The King
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Coke Zero tastes like Coca-Cola.

Diet Coke tastes like crap.

That's the difference ;)

ScottyLibido
05-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Diet Coke is actually the diet version of 'new Coke' whereas Coke Zero is the Diet Version of Coca Cola Classic

SURGE
05-08-2006, 05:46 AM
THe problem with Zero has never been the product- which is top notch- the real issue is that Coke owns the diet soda market. DC is oupasing Diet Pepsi yearly as well and so that gap is only growing. In essence Zero is a solution looking for a problem- atleast a this point. Splitting DC drinkers dilutes the brand and forces Coke to have to market, and maintain two seperate lines. Lets not forget that Coke must literally have thousands of bottles of champaign in the freezer awaiting the time the DC overtakes Pepsi. Still all indications are that Coke will continue to expand the brand and that it will grow incrementally. The key to Zero is that it can attract Pepsi drinkers and men- so far I think they need to play more heavily to those markets cuz thats where the money is- otherwise Zero will only grow to the detriment of DC. Coke knows they have a winner though and you wouldnt believe the amount of jokes I have heard comparing Zero to PepsiOne- One sells half as well as Zero at best and Pepsi has literally dumped 5-10x the amount of money on One with no success-

popologist
05-08-2006, 10:34 AM
i understand where you're coming from doug. but, as we all know, the execs at coke (and pepsi) have big egos. they wouldn't even mention the word "pepsi" at coke HQ until the mid-80s!

anyway, i think why coke cares is because diet coke has been gaining on pepsi to be the #2 soda for a decade now. in the past decade, pepsi has lost 3.8 market share points (down to 11.2%) and diet coke has surged 1.0% (up to 9.8%). in a couple years, diet coke could overtake pepsi, and coke would love to have those bragging rights. it would be a major upset for pepsi.

what coke is trying to do (i think) is grab people who won't drink diet coke already, because they don't like it... without grabbing those who think diet coke is just fine as is.

and, also, of course, to grab diet pepsi & pepsi one drinkers.

so far, their word-of-mouth, grassroots campaign may be working, since diet coke made slight gains in market share last year, while diet pepsi slipped. all while coke zero grabbed 1% market share... seemingly, leaving pepsi one in the dust.

Originally posted by Doug:
Why would Coke care that people who once drink Diet Coke are now drinking Coke Zero? It's still all driving the bottom line. And when you have a product so great, push it, no matter what the consequences.

[ 05-08-2006, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

popologist
05-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by SURGE:
Coke knows they have a winner though and you wouldnt believe the amount of jokes I have heard comparing Zero to PepsiOne- One sells half as well as Zero at best and Pepsi has literally dumped 5-10x the amount of money on One with no successi understand that coke wants to protect diet coke, but... it's kind of a balancing act. i mean, from what i've heard coke zero drinkers (like myself) are VERY dedicated to their drink, and... after long, we're going to expect to get it at fast food restaurants and fountains.

if coke makes it too difficult to find coke zero, and people start drinking it interchangeably with diet coke, they may eventually just decide that they might as well drink diet coke.

that may never happen, of course. but... i have to admit, sometimes i get frustrated when i go to the supermarket and coke zero is sold out, and so i have to go to another one to find it.

see what i mean?

Mana211
05-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I hope you are joking about Champagne in a freezer:

Champagne must be kept at a cool temperature, under 60 degrees. The ideal range is between 53 and 59 degrees. The cooler the better, really. The place should be fairly humid because the cork can dry out if it's not humid. It should be a dark place, as light is the enemy of Champagne and wine in general. And it should be a place that's free from vibrations such as washing machine motors or refrigerators. So, if you want to keep Champagne, you really have to have these conditions, otherwise there's no sense in storing.

Champagne should not be stored indefinitely in a refrigerator. The excessive cold sort of numbs and flattens the Champagne. It loses its character and flavor, and there are other things about refrigerators. Food smells can eventually permeate the Champagne. You can imagine a strong cheese or something like that. The refrigerator motor going on and off is not good for the Champagne either.

It's fine to store a fine Champagne in a refrigerator for a few days, maybe even up to a week, but you should not store it for a month or more.

Mana211
05-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Note that temps below freezing are generally considered arid not humid.

There are deserts in Alaska and Greenland among other cold places.

Cold air does not hold much water vapor. The driest deserts on earth are the dry, cold deserts in Antarctica. Some places in Antarctica haven't received any rain for 4 million years

popologist
05-08-2006, 03:42 PM
how'd we get on the subject of champagne?

Mr Zabe
05-08-2006, 04:26 PM
SURGE
Lets not forget that Coke must literally have thousands of bottles of champaign in the freezer awaiting the time the DC overtakes Pepsi.

popologist
05-08-2006, 04:32 PM
thanks zabe. ;)

i'm sure when diet coke gets within striking distance of pepsi, that pepsi will be highly discounted to thwart coke as long as possible.