PDA

View Full Version : No Sugar Soda Pop Schools

Mr Zabe
05-03-2006, 01:38 PM
ABA Sugar Fee POP (http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitness/05/03/softdrinks.schools.ap/index.html)

This has nothing to do with school kids cutting back on sugar;it's all about the Big Three Soda Pop company's bottom line.

Is caffeine soda pop not going to be sold as well?

Now for sure the next generation of young adult/adult soda pop drinkers will make the diet soda pop catagory number one over the sugar colas. You got to give the Big Three credit, they basically turned water into wine.

[ 05-03-2006, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

greg
05-03-2006, 01:53 PM
I can see this argument. However, they had to pull all of the soda machine out of the elementery schools. Do you think this will have an effect on total consumption for sodas in that age group? After all if you get the kids while they are younger to start drinking healthier choices then they are more apt to follow that trend as they get older. Hence, they will drink less soda over all as they get older, even sugar free versions.
As for the bottom line: I do think that the push behind this is with a clear and decisive want to get children to make better lifestyle choices due to increases in child hood obesity, diabetes, and other ailments that go with sedentary high fat, high sugar diets.
Just another point of view.

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I think it's a great idea.

David J.
05-03-2006, 03:46 PM
When I was in high school, none of the vending machines had soda, but they had juice and the machines where pepsi machines.

I always found it very odd.

Vault_Dewer
05-03-2006, 03:54 PM
It will just hurt school sales. If this happens to my school I'll just pack a drink from now on. I won't drink any healthier. tongue.gif

Mr Zabe
05-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Instead of sneaking a smoke in the men's room,there will be a bunch of guys sucking down illicit sugar pop. LOL

There will also be kids selling sugar soda pop out of their lockers for $1.50 a can.

Big lesson: Take stuff away from a kid and they will find a way to get what they want. Kid's are way smarter then adults think they are. smile.gif

Mr Nethead
05-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Well, I think kids will still be allowed to bring their own. If they can't do that then it seems a little messed up to me.

"Nutritious" beverages can be really really good anyway. Although, most juices have more calories than soda.

Dr. Galaga
05-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Here's what I think:
1) There is no need for student access to pop machines in the elementary and intermediate schools.
2) Middle and high schools need to go back to 12 ounce cans (instead of 20 ounce bottles).

Plus, I'm not sure if a lot of diet pop is good for kids and the fruit juices have just as much sweetners and calories as the pop!

Rob The SURGE Drinker
05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
here, one of my relatives on my mothers side, whom is 13, said today that they were taking all the pepsi and mountain dew and all out of the machines in the lobby, and putting it in the trash... then after the person left, about 20 kids rushed the dumpster and ran off with 3-4 cans of pop...

Mr Zabe
05-03-2006, 08:05 PM
That's sweet. LOL Like I said kids are smart. LOL

Mana211
05-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Bringing my own soda was useless in highschool. I didn't have access to a refrigerator or ice or cups so a HOT soda with sugar is WAY worse than a cold diet drink.

As another example my high school didn't have air conditioning and did have heat and is in the Southern US. It was normally between 60 and 80 farenheit even in the fall, winter, and spring. It wasn't abnormal for it to be above 80 for short periods or below 50 overnight.

I know some students have it much nicer but I still doubt a 68 degree coke is going to taste any better than a 75 degree coke.

Mr Zabe
05-03-2006, 08:25 PM
I have a very easy and simple solution.
You can get a small lunch bag that will hold
a couple of ice packs and 3 to 4 cans of soda pop.
This lunch bag will most likely fit into your locker. (Most of these bags are square or rectangle.)

I for a number of years brought soda pop to work just like that. The soda pop kept cold. When I got home from work I would put the ice packs back in the freezer. The cost of a few ice packs and a thermal lunch bag ( check to make sure it is designed to keep things cold) is less than $10 if you go to Wal-Mart or any other discount store. Drug stores will have them on sale this time or the year.

This will serve as your own soda pop station. smile.gif

[ 05-03-2006, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DrPepper86
05-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Yea I think kids will bring soda from home if they really want it. smile.gif

Mr Nethead
05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
And to add to what Mr Zabe said, in the long run it would actually save money. Soda is much cheaper if you buy 12 packs or 6 packs instead of single servings out of a machine.

I really have mixed feelings about diet drinks. When I drink them I get a strange feeling in my stomach, and it's not at all pleasant. In my opinion, diet sweeteners haven't really been around long enough for us to know if there are negative health effects.

David J.
05-03-2006, 08:44 PM
I tried Vault Zero and I threw it away after two sips. I paid out the hose for it too.

And I would have bought a reg. vault but it was sold out all over town. :(

01GTB
05-03-2006, 09:27 PM
You know, I'm not even sure they had soft drink machines at my high school. If they did, it was after my junior year, and it was for people to use during lunch. I honestly don't think they have any business there. Yeah, the schools make a few cents off the sale, but they piss away enough money...I am sure they can recoup the loss. If someone wants to bring a soft drink to school for lunch or to drink between classes, go for it. But don't encourage wasteful spending on three or four soft drinks a day, diet or not.

We had these interesting thinks calling water fountains :D They kept you hydrated. I have heard people say "I don't like water." What's not to like. It's liquid. It's refreshing. And it shouldn't really have a taste for you not to like. Suck it up! You can drink soft drinks til your blue in the face when you get home :D

[ 05-03-2006, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

Mr Zabe
05-03-2006, 09:39 PM
I feel so old. LOL
Back in the early to mid 1970's my high school of around 980 kids had not one soda pop or vending machine. We had a hot lunch cafeteria that served two choices of lunch with milk or this crappy tasting fruit juice.

The seniors could leave school a get lunch at few nearby fast food joints. I was a year book photographer and then photo editor. I basically was able tp skip class and lunch for both sophomore junior year. I really had it made and always managed to get my soda pop fix. I remember that was the first thing I did when I skip out of class or lunch. I went to the closest fast food joint and had a large coke. LOL

Schools have changed. Now a days the cafeteria's are like a mall food court. LOL

[ 05-03-2006, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

01GTB
05-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Hmmm, sounds familiar. My careful avoidance of 5th, 6th and 7th period classes and lunch is exactly why I cannot tell you for sure if we had drink machines at school during my junior or senior year :D

Mr Zabe
05-03-2006, 10:34 PM
LMAO
I was even able to graduate a year early and skip my senior year. smile.gif

Charles Hobbs
05-03-2006, 11:15 PM
At our HS we had juice and milk machines, not soda...oh, there was one soda machine behind the girls' gym. they tried to keep it locked up until school was out, but didn't always do so.

this was 1980-1983...

kids shouldn't drink a lot of soda, but this is
mostly about politics and keeping coke and pepsi from being sued, like the tobacco companies were....

DrPepper86
05-05-2006, 12:31 AM
You really wont want to drink water out of fountains at my high school!!!!! :eek:

Zap
05-05-2006, 12:54 AM
My brother, who is in HS thinks this is bogus... he doesn't know if this is for sure at his school (Catholic schools, so unsure if private schools are affected) but he has talked about selling REAL sugar glass bottles if this goes down, LOL! I've converted him to the real stuff. My sister (younger than him) made a good point about selling pizza and fries every day. They should do it all or none, and the trans-fat is tons worse for you than a can, or bottle, of soda (though we know HFCS isn't exactly healthy, either.)

01GTB
05-05-2006, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by DrPepper86:
You really wont want to drink water out of fountains at my high school!!!!! :eek: LOL, you are probably right :D You are in Western NC though. I think it would be acceptable to have West Jefferson Dr Pepper and other cane sugar beverages that they bottle available to the student body ;)

[ 05-05-2006, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

SamC
05-05-2006, 07:02 AM
This is a really stupid idea. Creating schools that are insular from choices made in the real world is the last thing we need to be doing.

AzRocks
05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
my school has a pretty awesome soda machine- it has:
Vault
Coke
DietCoke
Coke Zero
Sprite
Fanta Orange
Nestea
Dasani
Sprite Zero
Dr. Pepper (occaisonly)
Cherry Coke
Powerade Mountain Blast
Powerade Fruit Punch

Mr Zabe
05-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Man...That's a super cool soda pop line up.
What do they charge and what size cans/bottles?
I would drink at least 3 to 4 cans a day. LOL

[ 05-05-2006, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Responsible parents try to feed their children wholesome and healthy food. They also try to limit their children's intake of sugar. What good parent do you know lets their child gorge themselves of cookies and cake? None. Sugar must be consumed in moderation.

So why should parents have their good food parenting dashed at a place where they have no control over their children? A child with a five dollar bill can buy almost a thousand calories.

At least early on, in elementary school and even middle school, when parents' culinary ideals have not yet been fully instilled, students should not have the freedom to make these decisions.

And as Dr. Galaga said, fruit juices have just as many calories as soda, although they at least have more nutrients.

I believe diet soda, water, and sports drinks are the only thing that children before high school age should be able to buy.

Mr Zabe
05-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I agree in principle with you.
I also agree what you have said is the absolute ideal way to raise children. If I had children, they would not have soda pop every day. Soda pop would be a treat every once in a while.

I grew up drinking diet soda pop with dinner and right at bed time. I started drinking sugar pop on Saturday's at the YMCA. Once in a while my Dad would take me out for a hog dog lunch and I cherished drinking strawberry crush.

My point is that I was restricted as kid to diet soda pop. Away from my house I sought sugar soda pop and sugar snacks. I wanted what I was not getting at home.

There has to be some moderation. I think that soda pop in school should be restricted to one can,at lunch only sold by the cafeteria service (handed to the student) and no caffeine.

Sugar snacks and such sould not be sold via vending machines. Snacks and treats should only be sold via the cafeteria service.

That's my two cents. smile.gif

[ 05-05-2006, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

01GTB
05-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I have to agree with both DJ and Mr. Zabe. It's nice to trust kids to make the right decisions on their own, but often they don't.

greg
05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by SamC:
This is a really stupid idea. Creating schools that are insular from choices made in the real world is the last thing we need to be doing. What? School isn't about making choices, it is about making sacrifices, education, responsibility! Todays World is tough enough without having to enter into it overweight, with diabetes, respiratory disease or whatever ailments can occur from a poor diet.
Young adults, most of them, will always go for the least healthy best tasting drink they can get over a Healthy alternative if given a choice.

I applaud the Clinton Fondation for pushing for these changes. I think in the long run it will be better for kids nationwide.

Mr Nethead
05-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Maybe schools can start selling vitaminwater. I'd love to see a vitaminwater vending machine! And what student doesn't need some "endurance", "energy", or "focus"?

AzRocks
05-05-2006, 06:20 PM
the ones that i listed were 20 oz. bottles for 1.25.
they also have cans for 1.00 but they oonly have coke, diet coke, sprite, fanta, nestea, chery coke

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-05-2006, 11:48 PM
I don't think I'll see sodas pulled out of schools in Mexico, in fact, all the little stores at the elementary schools in Mexico doesn't offer really healthy alternatives, I remember that when I was in my elementary school, in the store you could buy only sodas, candies, tortas, potato chips, snacks... I think that the only healthy alternative were fruit juices...

[ 05-05-2006, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr Nethead:
Maybe schools can start selling vitaminwater. I'd love to see a vitaminwater vending machine! And what student doesn't need some "endurance", "energy", or "focus"? That's a great idea.

Charles Hobbs
05-12-2006, 02:13 AM
http://cagle.msnbc.com/news/SodaBanned/main.asp

Mr Zabe
05-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Mr Hobbs,
Outstanding cartoons.
#4 LOL Funny and true. LMAO
Tks
Zabe