PDA

View Full Version : Mid Calorie Drinks

JACK
10-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Rumor has it that Major US Soft drink companies are looking at Mid Calorie entrants to the US Market. I think they exist internationally. What does anyone know about this market and the potential here in the US

fusion
03-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Pepsi just announced Pepsi Edge, which will be out in late summer.

Pepsi gets edge over Coke with new product plans (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/0304/09mid.html)

Pepsi-Cola North America to Launch 'Pepsi Edge' (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=78265&p=IROL-NewsText&t=Regular&id=503481&)

SamC
03-09-2004, 06:35 PM
one-part Pepsi
one-part Diet Pepsi

What an original idea!!!

tommyistommy(from SS.org)
03-09-2004, 06:45 PM
sounds...crappy!

DPDude
03-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Crappy is right! I used to have a friend that would order Diet Coke at burger joints and then have them top off the drink with "an inch of regular Coke" to try and add some flavor to the drink. I think he was just fooling himself if he thought it did anything for the flavor. It was probably barely tolerable with Coke, I couldn't imagine how bad it would be with Pepsi products.

tommyistommy(from SS.org)
03-09-2004, 08:46 PM
YUCK thats all im saying

XLS_04
03-09-2004, 09:21 PM
when Coke talked about the Mid Calorie Cola everyone was all for it.

Coke is going to be doing the same thing this year or next year.

fusion
03-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Actually, wouldn't that be one part Pepsi, one part Diet Rite? It's made with Splenda, not Aspartame.

:cool:

mjb1124
03-11-2004, 02:12 AM
Well, I may be alone here, but I think this product is a good idea and I am looking forward to it. I always mix 2/3 Diet Coke and 1/3 Coke at Subway and the Coke taste definietely shines through. And since Pepsi Edge will be made with suclarose that only means it will taste even better.

Energydude
03-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Pepsi Edge is made with HFCS and Spelda but will still have about 20 Carbs in it. I think it will be a total BOMB. Again, Pepsi just doesn't get it. Make a great tasting product with No Calories, No Sugar, and NO CARBS. I was just at the Bar and Beverage show in Vegas and there was one drink at the show advertising NO SUGAR, No Calories and NO CARBS and they stole the show. EVERYONE was walking around with pink paw prints on. In this day and age you do not need to drink HFCS those days are over Splenda and real cane sugar or don't bother....your just making better garbage if you use HFCS and we all know it.

XLS_04
03-11-2004, 09:58 PM
you talking about Sprite Zero? No Sugar No Calories No Carbs. That's supposed to be there tag line.

Anyways I think it's a good idea as welll, They could have used another name but thats not a big issue.

as far as corn syrup I think over time that is all you will find in carbonated soda's in North America one day.

Don't be suprised if Mexican Coke and Pepsi start using that one day as well.

I'm not saying I favor it, I'm just saying it's easier to get access to and is cheaper.

Energydude
03-11-2004, 11:21 PM
XLS I am aware that HFCS is cheaper.... it is also garbage. You would think that when USA TODAY puts in the front page....OBESITY NO 1 KILLER IN THE USA....Pepsi and Coke would step up and do something!!!!! It is an outrage that Coke and Pepsi continue to make this garbage product when they have the ability to make it better. People are not going to just Gulp down sugar water any longer......times change ask Kmart.

fusion
03-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Step up an do something?

Dasani
Diet sodas
Swerve - made with sucralose
Diet tea
Light lemonade and other light flavors

PhillySteve
03-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Not to mention the irony of his rant in a thread about mid-calorie soft drinks. :D

Energydude
03-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Its not a rant!!! These beverage giants just don't get it! Make a better product. Hey were going to use Splenda but still mix in Corn Syrup????? WHAT !!! Try real sugar Einstein!!!
Who are they really going to appeal to??? Fusion do you really want me to say something positive about Dasani???? That was product innovation? You have got to be kidding. Mid Calorie Cola is like low tar cigarettes. It is simply way off target. Pepsi one was a flop how about Pepsi 60??????.........FLOP
Dear Pepsi and Coke

Times are changing please make products with Splenda only and if you must use SUGAR please make sure it is REAL CANE SUGAR, if not please know that I will not drink anything with HFCS or Aspartame in it. Times are changing... please try to change with them.

PS Millions of people feel the same way and we are multiplying rapidly.

Terry K
03-13-2004, 01:23 AM
SUMone needs to come to California and load up on Passover Coca-cola which is HCFS free. Or better yet, visit a hispanic food store and get some Mexican Coca-Cola or other beverage of choice.

Energydude
03-13-2004, 10:52 AM
The quality and taste is superior when real sugar is used instead of HFCS. We all know that...so why do they not do it? Are those few pennies worth it. And if people on this board love beverages why wouldn't everyone of them agree that companies need to stop using HFCS and use real cane sugar. Mixing HFCS with Splenda what idiot thought of that? :confused:

PhillySteve
03-13-2004, 11:52 AM
So obesity isn't a problem as long as they use real sugar? Energydude, you are so full of it. You're aginst sugar water but for (cane) sugar water?

If you want to talk about taste of cane sugar vs. HFCS that's fine, but it's obvious you aren't going to find the best tasting soda in a mid-calorie line.

As for obesity, the body couldn't care less if it was sugar water made with HFCS or cane sugar it's going to produce the same amount of insulin. And guess what juice is... sugar water! Most of the vitamins and minerals in fruit is in the skin. The only thing that most juices have is vitamin C and that's added in later. So how about you take your crusade against soft drink companies to someone who cares rather than the people who wish to support them.

glassbottlesrule
03-13-2004, 04:41 PM
I am not supporting Energy dude in any form but actually hfcs is processed differently than cane. Hfcs affects insulin levels slower and without the peaks you get with sugar. I think research will eventually prove that hfcs produces more obesity problems than cane.

Energydude
03-13-2004, 08:15 PM
PhillySteve you have no idea what you are talking about and all sugars are not the same and how your body reacts to HFCS and Pure Cane Sugar is not the same either. Before running your mouth do a little research on HFCS.

I am against the use of HFCS. I also believe sugar is not necessary to make a great beverage.
However should you decide to use sugar, do not use HFCS please use Pure Cane Sugar. We ALL know HFCS is crap compared to PCS. Demand only the best its the only body you have.

Inko
03-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Let me throw Crystallized Fructose into the mix. It delivers on sweetness with less calories and also does not spike insulin levels.

Ink

PhillySteve
03-13-2004, 11:44 PM
First off I do know what I'm talking about. The fact is the scientific community doesn't agree on this issue. One side notes little difference between how fructose and sucrose could affect the appearance of diabetes or obesity. The other believes that fructose doesn't stimulate the production of insulin like sucrose does. If you want me to post studies I will, but I'm really lost on what your point is. You are obviously very anti-HFCS but why? You mention a report about obesity but then you say use cane sugar. You're the one who doesn't seem to know what you're talking about.

Too much of any sugar isn't good. Period.

I'm beginning to think you're just jealous of Coke and Pepsi's success.

Energydude
03-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Alright ... I don't want to turn this into a medical debate I will agree to disagree. What I am saying is this HFCS compared to Pure Cane Sugar is garbage. We all know Pure Cane Sugar is far superiour to HFCS in every way when comes to making a great beverage. If you are going to use Sugar in your product use real cane sugar. Coke and Pepsi both could be using it and would have better products for it. I have had Coke with real sugar and its not even close, it is much better than Coke with HFCS!!! Forget about a little profit Coke and Pepsi and make a better product. If it were up to me Coke and Pepsi would no longer use any sugar in their products. Sugar Water is not healthy and adds far too many calories and provides no nutritional value. In 2004 it is just not necessary. Times change!

SamC
03-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Coke responds with a half-Coke half-Diet Coke drink to be called "C2", launched by mid-June.

This is a pointless idea. There is just no demand for such a product. And at least Pepsi Edge is some kind of name, but "C2". Sounds like a part number.

Robot
03-30-2004, 08:53 PM
if C2 and pepsi edge taste good, i will DEFINATELY substitute the C2 and Pepsi Edge into my diet instead of rotating between regular and diet all the time.

Mana211
04-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by SamC:
Coke responds with a half-Coke half-Diet Coke drink to be called "C2", launched by mid-June.

This is a pointless idea. There is just no demand for such a product. And at least Pepsi Edge is some kind of name, but "C2". Sounds like a part number. I guarantee you if Mellow Yellow or Dr. Pepper were sold in a version that had 1/4 to 1/2 cane sugar and the rest Splenda I would buy it. If C2 has cane sugar instead of corn syrup I might buy it just to show support until another drink I like better comes along.

I don't know if Splenda alone works for this issue but softdrinks with cane sugar or corn syrup don't freeze in my trunk when it gets to 30F. Diet drinks with Nutrasweet do freeze at that point (somewhere near 32F, not sure the exact temp). The freezing point of the full calorie drinks is lower.

I know that I like the tast of cane sugar over corn syrup. I know that I like the taste of Splenda over Equal. I'm not sure about the difference between corn syrup and Equal.

I can tell you that Diet Mellow Yellow is horrible tasting and diet Coke or diet Dr. Pepper is ok/good. They have the same sweetener so the foreground taste is an issue in choosing the sweetener. If the foreground taste doesn't mask the aftertaste of the sweetener you better be thinking about a different sweetener.

Another issue is caffiene free drinks. If you have trouble getting to sleep having a caffiene free full sugar drink is not the best idea. Assuming C2 takes off they could kill the caffiene free full calorie slot and use caffiene free C2 in that slot.

Yet anther issue is family and friends. My dad for one will turn down a diet coke because of the taste. Maybe if C2 fits the bill I can stock one coke in place of diet coke and regular coke.

My normal day is Mellow Yellow before breakfast, Something dark for lunch (Diet Cherry Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Coke, regular versions of those) and a caffiene free dark soda with dinner and any late night snacks.

I want med/high caffeine in the morning pick me up, don't necessarily need full sugar balance. I wan't less calories anytime after that. So to me if you offer a mid carb option that tastes better than the diet version I'll take it. Maybe I won't end up with 10 types of fridge packs in the closet if I could fine tune the options some.

SamC
04-19-2004, 08:05 PM
This is not a HFCS vs. sugar or aspertame vs. Splenda issue.

Its an industry so full of MBAs that it wants to go cash in on the Adkins Diet scam craze with a lower carb product, with out realizing that it already offers many ZERO CARB products. These are called diet drinks.

These products will just push other flavors, both from KO and PEP, but mostly from other bottlers, off the shelves, out of the vendor, and out of a nozzle at the fountain. So eventually your "choice" is Coke, Diet Coke, C2 Coke, caf. free Coke, caf. free Diet Coke, caf. free C2 Coke, and maybe, just for a weird thing, Cherry Coke.

Coco Rico
04-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Sam C,

I agree with you completely. There are plenty of low calorie, low sugar options already on the market. I think it's silly to create new products to cash in on the Atkins craze, when these companies already have these products. Wouldn't it be cheaper to tweak an existing product's marketing than to start over and attempt to launch a new sku? The shelves are crowded enough as it is.

CR

SURGE
05-11-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm sure these products will recive massive promotional pushes and be hailed as the next big thing until the whole crazy goes out the window and both will just look silly. Oh well I like the C2 can. Pepsi Edge has fairly nice graphics too, just more simple.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-08-2004, 05:25 PM
just picked up a six pack of pepsi edge cans. chilling one in the freezer as we speak. on sale at a meijer for 1.99

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-08-2004, 05:50 PM
tastes alright. definitely more of a pepsi taste than of some sweetener. i kinda like it, but don't think i would regularly buy it seeing as it's way more expensive than normal (once it's off sale)

fusion
06-08-2004, 05:57 PM
I've seen some advanced pricing for Edge in one of the chains around here. 2 liter, 12pk, 20oz. Pricing is the same as the rest of the Pepsi packages.

C2 20oz will be priced the same as the rest of the Coke 20ozers, but the other packages will have a higher per-can price. I already see the 18 pack failing big time -- who's going to pay $6.99 for 18 cans? $2.99-$3.49 for 8 is a much smaller bite, but even I think it's going to be a tough sell. I wouldn't be suprised if Coke ends up putting it in 12 and 24 packs.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-08-2004, 06:11 PM
a lot of people for cce-lansing, mich that i've talked to are lookin at c2 to fail because of the pricing and different sizes of cans. i don't see it working much.

mjb1124
06-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Well, actually, the aspartame vs. Splenda debate is relevant here. You see, aspartame is not considered Atkins-friendly. So if Coke, Pepsi, and DPSU really want to cash in on the Atkins craze, they should just reformulate all their diet sodas using Splenda instead of Aspartame.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-08-2004, 07:31 PM
sucralose is the generic term for splenda, correct?

fusion
06-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Yes, you are correct (sir).

Feel free to invite any of your CCE pals to the boards. I'm interested in getting some alterate views of the company from other divisions.

[ 06-08-2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-08-2004, 08:37 PM
roger, commence spreading word now