PDA

View Full Version : Yes Virginia, you are messed up.

teamtitan512
10-12-2003, 01:43 AM
Went into VA yesterday, and that area is just very interesting in what its offerings are. This is in the Woodstock, VA area, around Exit 283 off I-81 in Shenandoah County. This is Pepsi Shenandoah Country, and their lineup is about as messed up as one might imagine.

Pepsi and all its extensions
7Up, Diet 7Up, Cherry 7Up, Diet Cherry 7Up, dnL
Mr. Green (STILL!)
Pepsi Blue (STILL! - tons of it too)
Cheerwine (in splash bottles of DPSU's)
Diet Cheerwine
NuGrape
Slice Orange
Sun Drop
Country Time Lemonade and Pink Lemonade
Mug
Schweppes

Everything product-wise was from CPG or from PBG.

Then here's where things get even more interesting, third-tier I figured was RC Winchester. Apparently not. Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew had PBG caps on them, not RC Winchester caps.

RC, A&W, Sunkist, Welch's, and Canada Dry were from RC Winchester. I haven't seen Sunny Delight in forever and they had it there. No Sierra Mist anywhere. Can't say that was a bad thing.

Tried finding the exact bottler name out at a Food Lion, and all I found was Dr Pepper Bottling Company and Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company...big help.

Only one I found out was the one I already knew. Coke was Central, and has their typical lineup.

Boris
10-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Makes me proud to know I live in Virginia in the summers....We also have here(Chesterfield, 10 miles south of the city of Richmond)

Northern Neck Ginger ale
Old Dominion Root Beer
The Switch
Pepsi Blue
Shibby Soda

fusion
10-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Almost makes me want to shell out the $495 for the Soft Drink Atlas, just to see who the actual bottlers are.

There is a Dr Pepper bottling company in Verona VA. Maybe it's them?

teamtitan512
10-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Thing is it makes no sense why the Mt Dew and Dr Pepper have PBG caps. I guess I was expecting RC Winchester caps like their friends to the north. I think Pepsi is Pepsi Shenandoah there, which explains a lot of the freaky stuff (one of the few interesting Pepsi places in these parts...PBG owns the Mid-Atlantic).

That 100 mile long strip of Virginia along I-81 is probably one of the most screwed up areas for soft drinks in the country in terms of distribution, and in terms of still no corporate bottlers possessing territory. Only PBG does some of the Northern part of that territory, like Winchester.

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-13-2003, 10:47 PM
soft drink atlas? please explain?!

fusion
10-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Soft Drink Atlas (http://www.beverage-digest.com/atlas/index.html)

Check out that link.

drpep
10-14-2003, 11:11 PM
I wonder if Dr Wells is still around the I-81 corridor? I found some about 2-3 years ago in a gas station further south of Woddstock. It was bottled by Pepsi. I did not find any within the last year when traveling that route.

teamtitan512
10-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Probably not, considering Pepsi there has Mr. Green now, even as of last week. I did see some Canfield's stuff further south along with Dr. Brown's stuff around Harrisonburg and Staunton.

DJ Brian
11-12-2003, 12:49 AM
from what I could tell in Winchester territory, they only do their own Mt Dew and DP in cans. Even in Winchester itself, the 20 oz. bottles of DP are from PBG and are nasty tasting. And, btw, NO Red Fusion to be found :( Last time I was there they had it in every soda machine and cooler:

From April 2003:

http://djbrian.com/pics/20030308-brianwinchester.jpg

teamtitan512
11-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Most 20 oz. I see in Winchester when I'm there say Royal Crown Bottling Co. Winchester, VA. They don't use the splash bottle of DPSU, but use Pepsi's swirl bottle, so they do sometimes get some bottles off Pepsi bottlers, usually PBG, but I've seen some PepsiAmericas ones as well.

drpep
11-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Would have made a better picture if you had straightened up the bottles first smile.gif smile.gif

Terry K
11-13-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
Went into VA yesterday, and that area is just very interesting in what its offerings are. This is in the Woodstock, VA area, around Exit 283 off I-81 in Shenandoah County. This is Pepsi Shenandoah Country, and their lineup is about as messed up as one might imagine.

Tried finding the exact bottler name out at a Food Lion, and all I found was Dr Pepper Bottling Company and Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company...big help.

Only one I found out was the one I already knew. Coke was Central, and has their typical lineup.Your crack research staff has found the name of the bottler: Halmor Corp of Staunton VA

They, IIRC source from both PBG and RC-W

teamtitan512
11-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Yes, of course the DP and Dew come from PBG :(

Guess what returned here today in 12 packs locally? After an almost 3 month hiatus, Red Fusion is back.

golee1
11-14-2003, 01:28 AM
What does Halmor Corp produce? Is it the official name of Dr Pepper of Staunton?

Terry K
11-14-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by golee1:
What does Halmor Corp produce? Is it the official name of Dr Pepper of Staunton?I believe they just source from PBG and RCW.
The offical name is Halmor Corporation (I believe formerly known as Dr Pepper of Staunton)IIRC they also had a dew franchise at one time and may still hold it just sourcing from other guys.

fusion
11-14-2003, 09:49 PM
I found a court case.. identified them as ..

Halmor Corp, d/b/a Dr Pepper of Staunton. Halmor's HQ is located in Charlottesville.

Very interesting...

teamtitan512
11-18-2003, 05:05 PM
That's interesting, considering Charlottesville Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew become Pepsi products from CPG. All Halmor has around Charlottesville is RC, A&W, Sunkist, and Canada Dry.

I was in this region just this weekend, RC Winchester has returned having Red Fusion, Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew are once again having RC-W caps, and all is well there. I wish Halmor would buy their DP and MD from RC-W instead of PBG. Maybe that's the reason I hate Dr Pepper so much, all I've ever tasted is the crap from PBG. Sierra Mist in third-tier was gone in this region except for Staunton, the rest is a No-Mist Zone. 7Up is CPG's. Pepsi has insane strength around Charlottesville, w/Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper and 7Up still. They have Country Time as well, but don't have Cheerwine (but still have NuGrape). Pepsi Blue and Mr. Green seem to be vanishing, but I did find some Mr. Green around Harrisonburg and Staunton.

Cheer-wined
11-21-2003, 01:56 AM
I would be interested in knowing how far down the I-81 corridor Pepsi Blue is available. Also does anyone know if Northern Neck is distributed into the Shenadoah valley?
I was in southern VA today (Danville) and found an odd mix of stuff (yeah, VA is wonderful)...
-Big Red (reg/diet) in cans, bottles, plastic
-Kickapoo
-Bubble Up
-Dr Wells
-Nu-grape (plastic only, wish I could find cans or glass)
-Nehi (grape, orange, peach) bottles
-Boylans (birch beer)
-the usual Coke and Pepsi products, they carry Mug and Slice which we don't see where I live.
-tons of Stewarts' flavors in the convenience stores
-RC Cola and Cherry in cans
-A&W long-necks
-Cheerwine
-Sundrop
-Faygo (lots...)
The Monarch and Big Red products are not very common around here.

golee1
11-21-2003, 03:05 AM
As far as Northern Neck goes, I know Central Coca-Cola Staunton has dropped it, so you won't find it in Staunton or Harrisonburg. Not sure about Central of Winchester

drpep
11-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Cheer-wined, where in Dansville? I may be heading to Roanoke next month and would head down to Dansville if I know where to find Kickapoo and Bubble Up. Grocery stores? Or do I have to hit all the convenience stores and gas stations?

Cheer-wined
11-21-2003, 08:21 PM
Two places in Danville I will suggest for the best variety:

Junior's Convenient Mart, 3006 W. Main St. Lots of stuff in glass, Cheerwine, A&W, Nehi, Boylans, Stewart's, Sundrop, Big Red, RC and they even had RC Cherry in cans which is an oddball around here.

and just down the street ...

Old Dutch Galaxy Food Center, 2306 W. Main St. This place is Monarch Products heaven - Kickapoo, Dr Wells, Bubble Up, Dads, Suncrest in 2L. Also Big Red and NuGrape in different sizes. The Bubble Up, Dr Wells and Suncrest can be found around town in 20oz as well.

This is one of the 5 pop display sections in the store. The Monarch products come from Paul's Beverages, New Castle PA.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Old_Dutch.jpg
Both places are easy access from US 29, you don't even have to go through Danville city.

If Cheerwine is tough to get where some of youz guyz live, send me a message and maybe we could meet half way and work out a swap, some of my local pop (or is it soda?) for yours. I get really good stuff from West Jefferson and Salisbury.

Hope this helps.

[ 11-24-2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

drpep
11-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Yes this helps ALOT. Thanks. If I can get the time off from work I will be down that way in late Dec and will make a trip to Dansville, otherwise I'll have to wait until spring.
I see you are from Winston-Salem. I found Nehi and WJ 7UP,RC,and Cheerwine in Mt Airy this year. Anything else along 52 between Charlotte and WC? Been to Concord and Welcome and did not find much. Will have to stop in Salisbury. I never did find WJ Dr Pepper after buying some in Myrtle Beach in 01.

Cheer-wined
11-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Drpepperman; you asked about what could be found along US 52. Here are the brands that are generally available around Winston-Salem (but not everything can be found near US 52):

Coke products: Coke; Cherry Coke; Coke; Vanilla Coke; Fanta grape, orange, pineapple, strawberry; Fresca; Mello Yello regular, cherry, afterglow; Minute Maid; Pibb Xtra; Seagram’s GA; Sprite regular, ReMix; Tab and the usual variations i.e. diet, caffeine-free etc. when applicable. No Barq’s around here to speak of.

Pepsi products: Mountain Dew, code red, live wire; Pepsi Twist; Vanilla Pepsi; Wild Cherry Pepsi; Pepsi; Pepsi One; Sierra Mist; Mug; Slice orange. No Pepsi Blue or Mr. Green.

Cadbury/Schweppes products: 7up; dnL; A&W root beer, cream; Canada Dry GA; Crush grape, orange, strawberry; Diet Rite (all flavors); Dr Pepper, Red Fusion; Nehi orange, grape, peach; RC cola, cherry; Sundrop regular, cherry lemon; Sunkist Orange; Tahitian Treat; Vernor’s; Welch’s grape; Yoo-hoo; Brownie; Chocolate Soldier; IBC; Stewart’s. No Hires; Squirt or Cactus Cooler.

National Beverages: Faygo at Big Lots; Shasta at dollar stores; Ritz at some of the independent supermarkets.

Carolina Beverage: Cheerwine, Cool Moon

Double Cola/Ski: not around here; they used to distribute along US 58 in southern VA but that’s dried up.

Monarch Beverages: Dr. Wells; Bubble Up; Kickapoo; Dad's; Suncrest several flavors, in some NC/VA border counties (both sides.)

Big Red Inc: Big Red in VA border counties; NuGrape not hard to find; made by Pepsi in Raleigh.

Leading Edge: Frostie bottles in 4 flavors. Kist in 2L but rarely seen.

Tri-City: Dr Enuf is available at many supermarkets; Gordon's in a few c-stores.

Other misc.: Boylans; Kutztown; Moxie; Briar’s; Jones; Tommyknocker; Afri-Kola; Sprecher; Reed's. Dr. Brown’s in the deli section at up-scale supermarkets.

DP West Jefferson makes several of the C-S products in long neck: A&W root beer, RC Cola, DP, MD, Sundrop, Cheerwine, 7up also Red Rock cola and ginger ale. Independent Beverage in Charlotte also makes Sunkist orange and Welch’s grape in longnecks.

That’s what we have to the best of my knowledge but I will update this periodically when I find something new.

[ 12-06-2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

teamtitan512
11-21-2003, 11:39 PM
Central period up here has no Northern Neck, just tons and tons of Seagram's. I'd say after Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite, Seagram's is the next most prevalent product consistently, along with maybe Pibb Xtra. There's quite a lot of Barq's and Minute Maid Valencia around Cumberland from the sales center here though, and less Seagram's than there is the Hagerstown and Winchester areas.

Cheer-wined
11-22-2003, 12:32 AM
titan, thanks for the info - do you know if RC Winchester is still making Upper 10 or Home Brew? I'll just wait 'til Richmond to get Northern Neck, but some of the other stuff you mentioned (like Pepsi Blue) still makes a trip through the valley look interesting.

teamtitan512
11-22-2003, 10:39 PM
Definitely not Home Brew, but a few months ago I was in a little market in rural PA in RC Winchester territory and found Upper 10. However, there was a DeHaven 7Up Company of Winchester, which was bought by RC Winchester. They now make 7Up AFAIK.

drpep
11-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info Cheer-wined. During my next trip to Florida I am budgeting time in NC to spend at some Nascar shops and beverage searching.

Cheer-wined
12-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
I may be heading to Roanoke next month and would head down to Dansville if I know where to find Kickapoo and Bubble Up. Grocery stores? Or do I have to hit all the convenience stores and gas stations?
update...you can also get the Kickapoo in 20oz at the Getty Mart in Martinsville, about a mile north of the speedway on Business-220, it's even closer than Danville.

drpep
12-23-2003, 10:15 PM
I was wondering about Martinsville. Looks like I may not be making the trip. Full house at my sister in laws for the week. Even if I did go I was feeling a strong desire to go back to Mt Airy, instead of checking out Dansville, and load up on RC and Nehi bottles.