PDA

View Full Version : Sodas "carbonated" with other gases than CO2

cph
10-13-2003, 10:57 PM
In another thread, someone was talking about recarbonating a flat soda...which got me to thinking...anyone ever consider using other gases to make the soda fizzy? Like helium for example....

Boris
10-13-2003, 11:34 PM
That was I comrade, I belive I am the only one here with a background in Chemistry AND Beverage manufactur/production.

Yes, You can use other gases in correlation with C02, Like some Root Beers use Nox (Nitrous Oxide) to give the root beer a more foamy taste. But a Nitrogen Gas set-up is bloody expensive, Even I only use gram cylanders instead of buying the special tanks and regulators. I don't think some of those gases who be heathly and some would just be impractical. I belive C02 and N0X are chosen because of their ease of bonding with other molecules. How is that?

newage
10-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Hey Boris, you've mentioned carbonated tea in a few recent postings, so what's up...have you created one yet...sounds like a creative idea that apparently those guys from Steap, Cricket and the other new one, what's it called again, Passion or something have already created and brought to market....?? :confused:

Boris
10-19-2003, 03:44 PM
Oh no, What Steap and Cricket have is a Green tea cola My Tea time is just sweetened carbonated tea, regular tea, Not green or herbal. I would patent the idea if I wasn't poor, But I am applying for a trade mark for Tea Time though.

denis minning
10-21-2003, 05:42 AM
Boris, do you know the Lipton ice tea in Europe (plain sweetned ice tea with carbonation)?

Greez,
Denis

Boris
10-21-2003, 03:00 PM
No, But I know of the Peach and Mango Ice Tea in europe, non carbonated. Please, I would like to see a picture of it. I may be able to get it since I have 2 comrades in europe. I may have already had it. But of all the varieties of tea I saw when I was over there were no carbonated ones.

Hacksaw
10-21-2003, 03:15 PM
I've not heard about NOx spiking Root Beers before. I did see an ad for an O2 spiked drink
in an infomercial with Joey Meyers some years ago.

I suspect you could use other gasses to "carbonate" with, but there may be problems with:

1. The amount of pressure needed to keep the gasses in the liquid. If it takes 500psi, you will have a real problem with canning/bottling it! :D

2. The expense of the gasses used. The inert, or noble, gasses are expen$ive.

3. Will the gas react with the beverage?

It is interesting to note that CO2 does make beverage more acidic. I got a list of ph's from Coca Cola of their line, and Fanta Grape was the closest to neutral ph. Coke was the most acid, probably mostly from the Phosphoric Acid.

Yes, the old thing of placing a tooth in Coke(or other brands) syrup/soda is NOT realistic. But it is interesting to note that Hydrocarbonic Acid (carbonated water) is corrosive to some metals, including steel.

But from a health viewpoint I wouldn't sweat soda drinking disolving your teeth(or anything else inside you), unless you NEVER brush your teeth! :eek:

Shatter
10-22-2003, 12:12 AM
I was reading a sticker posted on a dry ice freezer at work that had directions on how to carbonate drinks with dry ice. I've never thought about making sodas with dry ice before. I might just have to try it out sometime!

Boris
10-23-2003, 05:10 AM
Shatter, try that and let me know how it works. All dry ice is of coarse is solid C02...

denis minning
10-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Boris, try this link..

http://www.liptonicetea.nl/products/

Peach, lemon, plain ice tea. They are available in carbonated and not carbonated.

The best way is to look at this internethyperlink, because my digital camera doesn't want to co-operate (I don't have a floppy drive in my new laptop).

I think they are also been sold in France.

Greez,
Denis Minning Lipton Ice Tea carbonated (http://www.liptonicetea.nl/products/)

Boris
10-26-2003, 05:03 PM
The ones that that look just like you have there I had in France this summer. It wasn't carbonated. If you can give me a link to the french,russian,or Ukrianian site I am sure I will be able to read for sure if it has or does not have bubbles.

fusion
10-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Wow, those are some neat looking bottles! Thanks for the link.

Boris
10-27-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
Wow, those are some neat looking bottles! Thanks for the link.Arn't they? I think the 1.5 litres look the weirdest...

denis minning
10-27-2003, 06:39 AM
Boris,

this might be an interesting link:
http://www.lipton.fr/saga/Saga_Frlipton/0,,56,00.html

The story for lipton in the netherlands went this way:
First they started producing the 0,33 cl cans (plain, carbonated, sweetened tea). They sold it in local markets, snackbars, restaurants, bistro's, sportclubs, it was pushed with a bucketload of advertisement with famous soccer/tennis players (Unilever/pepsi are the owners of the brand). After 2/3 years they started producing bigger volumes (0.5 liter, 1 and 1.5 and also introduced new flavours).

The story behind the weird looking 1 and 1.5 liter bottles. All the sodas sold in bigger volume then 1 liter have to be sold in returnable and multiple use bottles by law (for waiste reduction). So what has this little super-organized country done...yep...they designed a standard bottle for every soda. So all the soda's in the supermarket are sold in the same bottle. Offcourse this is a perfect platform, which requires less investment, and the best results for mother nature, but ends up with a mind numbling end of creativity in packaging...oh well...Every single bottle looks the same...I will try to make a picture for you next week in the supermarket...It's actually really funny.

BUT ther's is one exemption, and that's coca-cola. They are so big overhere, that they made their own bottles (1.5l and 2 liter), that's returnable and multiple use.

Also Boris, if you are interested in the drink, I can send it to you, I will swap with a few drinks from Canada.

Greez,
Denis

-------------
Also folks, I will start a beverage distribution company overhere in the Netherlands in January. I'm looking for interested drinks for the European Market (NO ENERGY DRINKS PLEASE). We are located on the border of Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Our direct consumer audience is 3.7 million people in a square of 30 miles. Indirect consumer population is (17 million Netherlands, 5 million Belgium, 80 million Germany). In February the first mailing with drinks will be send...if you want to join, please send an email with contact information to: minning@helsion.nl

Boris
10-27-2003, 03:08 PM
Ok first off, I was actually reading some of that french thing and no where did it say gauseux which is carbonated. It said that it was better for you than sodas...(bien-ĂȘtre une alternative naturelle aux sodas.) I guess not in france, maybe in the netherlands.

Thanks for telling me about the larger volume bottles. I have been taking french for 3 years and my books have pictures from the 80's and all the 1.5 litres are the same as they are when I went there this summer. I was wondering about that.

As for the beverage swap, I would love to. I could send you some of my sodas, well at least my version of carbonated tea.

[ 10-27-2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

newage
11-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Boris:
Oh no, What Steap and Cricket have is a Green tea cola My Tea time is just sweetened carbonated tea, regular tea, Not green or herbal. I would patent the idea if I wasn't poor, But I am applying for a trade mark for Tea Time though.C'mon...you're an industry veteran, you know you can't patent a tea.....carbonated or not...the PTO will say to you..."been there, done that"....not original.... :eek:

KanKing
11-04-2003, 10:38 AM
Coke should carbonate with laughing gas. That way people will have another reason for laughing at their products.