From what I know, Kvass is actually an alcohol
drink, made with fermented bread(!)...maybe it
might be ok, but I get the feeling that this
is something you would have had to have grown
up drinking to appreciate....

Any thoughts?

Boris
10-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Yeah, My babci used to make it. Its made from Russian black bread. I used to drink it with my borsche when I was little. She made it with alcohol and without alcohol. She could also control if the yeast gave it carbonation or not. She would usually make it non-alcoholic(for me) and with carbonation.

In the Ukraine and Poland I am told that there is a carbonated drink that is flavoured with mountain grasses. Like lemon grass and stuff.

sodasommelier
10-25-2003, 12:50 PM
I personally am not into Kvas. But when I went to Russia 12 years ago with some students we found a Kvas tanker truck (looks like a big gasoline truck with a spout) and people could go up there and bring their bottles and fill them for a small charge. Someone had a plastic Evian bottle and they filled it for what cost in blackmarket-traded kopecks the equivalent of U.S. $0.01. Well, in my opinion, it cost what it was worth.

But hey in Iran they drink plain yogurt soda so to each his own!!!

johnnyrockets
10-26-2003, 05:01 PM
there is also kvass made from fermented beets. Hey - it may not taste like champagne, but it is good for your health.

Ron
10-31-2003, 07:24 PM
I thought it was made by nomads (as in Mongolia) out of fermented milk.

Cheer-wined
12-08-2003, 12:21 PM
ron I bet you're thinking about kumyz (sp?) made from fermented horse milk. I tried a bottle of it in Kazakhstan once but I couldn't drink it. There was something called "kumran" also but made from camel milk.