PDA

View Full Version : how about "caramel coke"?

popologist
05-08-2006, 05:36 PM
forget lemon and lime... why not flavor coke with something that would actually compliment the flavors already there?

my vote goes to a caramel flavored coke. i think it's a flavor profile that would work even better than cherry or vanilla.

your thoughts...

Mr Zabe
05-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Mr Popologist,
IMO...I would love to see coke try caramel favored coke. A nice smooth carmel (a mellow carmel apple taste???) with good carbonation. Man that would be a nice change and taste.

Great idea MrP. smile.gif

Lepke
05-08-2006, 06:07 PM
I think it’s a good idea.
I tried to imagine what it would taste like and the taste buds in my mind seemed to make my mouth water.
The reality of the drink could well be different then the flavor in my mind.

The Doomite
05-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Hmmmmm, now there's a concept that I've never really thought of. But the more I think about it, the more I think it'd taste outstanding! I could be way off base in guessing that, but I doubt it. The Doomite Is Out! :eek:

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-08-2006, 06:19 PM
I would wager that there is already an element of caramel flavor in Coke's syrup formula.

Mr Zabe
05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
DJHS

I would wager that there is already an element of caramel flavor in Coke's syrup formula Maybe you are referring the carmel color ingredient? I would bet you two peanut coated Kraft Carmel Apples that there is not element of a caramel flavor in Coke'syrup formula.

My guess is some variation of burnt vanilla beans.

BottleBoss
05-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Chocolate COke first.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-08-2006, 08:02 PM
If it's the same caramel of the Snickers bar and the Popcorn... I would buy it :D

David J.
05-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Carmel coke would be great, along with a Chocolate Coke.

I have a ton of Carmel syrup, I'm going to try and mix it, I doubt it'd be good but I'll try anyway.

David J.
05-08-2006, 11:53 PM
I tried mixing carmel syrup with soda, Pepsi because I had no coke.

OK, I didn't have any coke, I swore my mom bought some... So I had some Pepsi, completely different I know but this thread inspired me. So I put some syrup in a cup, poured some pepsi in, then when I started to mix them, it bubbled up, then there was a nice amount of foam. Took a sip and it was kind of funny at first, but it got better from there and left a nice aftertaste.

I'm going to buy a Coke tommorow and give it a shot then.

popologist
05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
thanks for the field test, david J. ;)

most likely, a caramel flavored cola will probably be sweeter, but, keep in mind, if coke/pepsi mixed some caramel flavoring with their cola, they'd probably use less sugar/HFCS.

Mr Zabe
05-09-2006, 12:01 AM
David J.
Cool deal. Your new nickname is The Mad Mixer. LOL

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Not to hate on Pepsi, but I think Coke's flavor would be better suited for caramel than Pepsi.

David J.
05-09-2006, 12:36 AM
I think it Coke would be better suited too, so I am going to try it tommorow. I just didn't have any on hand.

I'll even try it with Chocolate syrup too. Not mixed at the same time tho. :D

Lepke
05-09-2006, 12:52 AM
DJH is right. The flavor of Coke is better suited to caramel flavoring then pepsi.

iluvsurge220
05-09-2006, 02:11 AM
Caramel Coke has a better ring to it than caramel pepsi. LOL This would be awesome if they did make it. I would definitely buy the caramel pepsi over the coke caramel because I just dont like coke. Pepsi is better, idk about caramel pepsi (might be too sweet) but regular pepsi is better.

popologist
05-09-2006, 01:24 PM
let's start our grassroots emailing campaign to coca-cola now! ;)

i just sent them a "suggestion" at Coca-Cola.com.

if you send them one, too... make sure that you stress that you are a true soda connoisseur (or however you spell it). smile.gif

there's also a section in the submission e-form to list a link. i forgot to do it, but... if anyone remembers, feel free to give them a link to his thread... so they can see first hand how people feel about this.

ps--you might also want to add that caramel would also taste better in Coke Zero than Diet Coke. ;)

[ 05-09-2006, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Popboy
05-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Coke with Caramel, sounds good... the posibilities are endless, I had a friend from East India who used to put salted peanuts in his Coke, I didn't think it would taste that good but I was wrong. Coke w/Cinnamon also sounds like a good combination, or what about Coke w/Red Licorace flavour...

[ 05-10-2006, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: Popboy ]

Mr Zabe
05-10-2006, 04:55 AM
You have some good flavor ideas. smile.gif

popologist
05-10-2006, 01:29 PM
i don't know about cinnamon, but licorice or black licorice might be a nice twist.

still, i think caramel is the least risky. it just seems like it would taste well with coke.

Lithiated
05-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Coke w/Cinnamon also sounds like a good combination I finally snagged some kosher Coke this year, and my lasting impression was that the cinnamon/clove notes seemed exaggerated. Personally, it didn't work for me.

Googling "cinnamon + coke" yields some interesting takes on Coke Zero, etc.

As for caramel Coke...just thinking about it makes my teeth hurt.

David J.
05-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Ok, my mom gave me some money for gas, but since I don't pay for gas with money -- I don't carry too much on me, I took the five bucks she gave me and bought some 20oz Coke, and I mixed some carmel syrup, and it was OK.

It tasted like my homemade carmel pepsi, just like it.

popologist
05-11-2006, 12:02 AM
keep in mind that when u add caramel syrup, you're doubling up on the sugar.

and that wouldn't be the case if coke or pepsi produced it.

Popboy
05-11-2006, 07:01 PM
It's funny... Twizzlers already made a Cola flavoured Licorace, and it didn't taste too bad. So maybe a Coke /w red licorace might be ok, but Coke /w black licorace would definitely be too bitter...

How bout' COKE /w Maple?... I think i'm gonna fill out an application for Coca Cola's R&D Team. smile.gif

[ 05-11-2006, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Popboy ]

Lepke
05-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Red licorice is either cherry or strawberry. Depending on the brand.
Black licorice flavor can come from many different botanicals star anis, fennel ECT.

Maple flavored root beer was made by vancol under the brand Tommy Knocker and was just awful.

Maple coke would make me barf.

Caramel is a much better idea.

popologist
05-11-2006, 11:53 PM
a caramel version of coke with a slight "nutty" flavor might be good. maybe even with a hint of saltiness.

DrPepper86
05-12-2006, 12:38 AM
All this talking about new flavors is making me REALLY thristy!!!!!! tongue.gif

iluvsurge220
05-17-2006, 02:46 PM
You all are making my mouth water!!

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-17-2006, 03:00 PM
How about Coke with CAJETA tongue.gif ! It's like our version of caramel...

popologist
05-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Ramón Cokeaholic:
How about Coke with CAJETA tongue.gif ! It's like our version of caramel... is that like "dulce de luce"... or something like that?

johnnyU
05-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Well, how'd it taste? I may try it tonight, cause I cant wait.

mjb1124
05-19-2006, 03:26 PM
I got a caramel Coke once from a local pizza place that has flavored syrups. Wasn't a good combination, IMHO.